5.0 out of 5 stars weight loss
Published 4 months ago by Randall Burnett

2.0 out of 5 stars Unclear, Contradictory, and Disappointing
Published 6 months ago by katiebk

2.0 out of 5 stars Unclear, Contradictory, and Disappointing, April 22, 2014
This review is from: I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book. My doctor recently recommended I cut back on sugar for the candida factor, and I'd heard the buzz about IQS and thought I'd give it a try. So I did, and I was really into the idea of a sugar detox -- but as I read more (the actual program portion of the book is VERY short, as it turns out) I grew increasingly frustrated and disappointed. But the truth is, this book is poorly organized and lacks rigor. I expected Wilson to cite a lot more research and deliver more statistics and actual information, but she didn't.

The biggest problem, however, is that it really is not a "program." There's hardly any structure. The weekly breakdowns are just collections of sidebars and offer vague tips. She's also huge on butter, coconut oil, and other foods dense in saturated fat. I'm all for whole, full-fat foods, and I think saturated fat probably has gotten an unfairly bad rap, but the research doesn't quite exist to support the idea of eating plenty of it -- which is why you won't find any backup in the book. Aside from that, I have a lot of smaller (but actually still important) quibbles: Despite reading it multiple times, I still can't tell whether you have to give up stevia at any point. Or cinnamon. Furthermore, the recipe section includes a block of "detox" recipes, but it's not clear whether you're supposed to stick to those recipes exclusively during the "detox" weeks (which I think are weeks 3 through 5) or throughout the whole program.

My problem with this book can be summed up by a single, glaring contradiction that I haven't been able to reconcile despite searching iquitsugar.com extensively and Googling for an answer. I actually did see another reader ask this question in a comments section about the online program, but no one from the customer service team replied to her. Here's the contradiction -- check the book for yourself to confirm (I'm using the paperback U.S. edition):

* On page 26 ("Week 3: Quit!"), Wilson lists items that "must go" starting that day, "with no exceptions." Item #1: Fresh and dried fruit, fruit juice.

* On page 41 ("Week 5: Get Creative, Experiment ... and Detox"), Wilson recommends 3 recipes to try that week. The first one is the Sweet Green Meal-in-a-Tumbler, found on page 110. Flip to page 110 and check the first 3 ingredients of the smoothie: 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 green apple.

What? Why? Elsewhere in the book she even includes apples on a list of high-fructose fruits that should be avoided altogether.

I'll keep the book around for some sugar-free recipes, but that's about it. I'm just going to cut back on sugar in some smart, basic ways and move on with my life. I'm a little angry that I fell for the marketing, but kudos to the team that put together such a pretty package.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Only for Beautiful Pictures and Recipes, April 29, 2014
The 8 week program is very contradictory and vague. I thought that week by week it would help me cut out different types of sugars and sweets, but one week is just titled "Face The Demons" in which she talks about how others will negatively react to your sugar cut. Yes, that is important to note, but it is not a step in an 8 week plan detailing what I am supposed to eat. I am left with questions like can I eat tomatoes? What is the fructose content of certain veggies and fruits? Can I even eat fruit? She vague references cutting fruit but her recommended recipes for each week often have fruit in them. Fruit is really demonized in this book yet half of the "sugar-free" dessert recipes are full of berries and other fruits. The assertion too that this book helps you plan your pantry and fridge needs is wrong. The recipes call for unique and difficult to find ingredients, and many require a food processor. None of this is outlined in the "Getting Equipped" section.

I like the general idea of this book but would look to another to find out the real science about sugar. Nothing here is cited and she often gives her own opinion ("I believe we were meant to eat the whole food" - referencing animal fat and skin in Week 2). She notes in the same week that sugar messes with our hormones, yes, but how?? Some facts to back that up would be great.

Finally, most recipes in the book can be found on the IQS website. I recommend this book only if you are looking for a beautiful cookbook or want something tangible to help kickstart your sugar detox. For the price, it was worth it for me but do not expect a real step by step guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., April 18, 2014
Nice book for those who are really into eliminating sugar altogether. However, a lot of Stevia and brown rice syrup, (which is surrounded by negative controversy) is used in the recipes of which I am not a fan of. I wish I had been able to review some of this book before I purchased it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book on quitting sugar...., May 14, 2014
I Quit Sugar is a full color book with lots of pictures and textures, or so it appears on the page. It is very visually appealing to the reader that picks up this book to read. I received this book for review as I often have gone on special times where I cut out sugar for a time period to sort of re-set my blood sugar levels. I found the ideas she presented in this book very interesting.

I was disappointed in the lack of science behind some of her reasoning. She claims that fructose is one of the worst sugars, and although she states that you can add it back in later after the 8 weeks, she claims it is the cause of all the issues. However, since science does not back that up, unless you have a serious blood sugar issue, natural fruit sugar does not react the same in your body and would be healthier for you than Brown rice syrup, which she uses throughout the 8 weeks detox. There are some fruits that are very high in fiber and actually can counteract the sugar content contained in them, if you are consuming them, raising your blood sugar to healthy levels to give you energy. She did not really discuss white flour or other white starches as a cause of any issues, but had recipes that contained brown rice syrup and white flour in the book.

What I did like about the book was the idea that a short time off of all sugars can be a good thing for your body. It can help re-set your body to be able to feel better, have more energy and maybe even lose a little weight. She spoke about how adding good fats, cutting out the sugars in your life, can actually help with weight issues. I really liked that the recipes were photographed beautifully and they looked appealing. She took care in keeping the ingredients very simple, and has a guide in the back of the book for your pantry shelves. It would be easy to stock a pantry with the items she listed, and frugally as well, if you work at it.

Overall, I felt this book was something that I will likely try some of the recipes and reference it a few times in my journey to cutting out sugar, but I will likely turn to other books for guidance as far as a long term lifestyle change.

This book was provided for me by Blogging for Books. The opinions contained therein are solely my own!

5.0 out of 5 stars weight loss, June 23, 2014
On Nov 23, 2013 I quit eating all meat and expected to lose some serious weight. I didn't lose one pound after five months. I found Sarah's book the beginning of April, 2014 and quit all sugar on the 20th. It is now the 23rd of June and I have lost 12 pounds. Yes, it takes some discipline and you will still have cravings after six weeks but if you persist, by the end of eight weeks your cravings will subside and you will see results. Make "Stevia" your "go to" sweetener of choice. I make very tasty fruit pies using it. Sugar is killing Americans. It is the "not so silent" legal drug. Read the ingredients label on everything you buy.
Her book is excellent. Thanks Sarah. Randall

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me Reduce My Sugar Intake, April 10, 2014
Ian Acheson (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I had always thought I ate a healthy well balanced diet. Everything in moderation, isn't that what we've been told? I particularly enjoyed fruit (3-4 pieces per day), fruit juice and healthy cereal believing you could never consume too much of them.

And then I started following Sarah's I Quit Sugar journey. I soon realised I had been misguided regarding my healthy fruit and cereal consumption. So I reduced all three and soon lost those extra 3-4 kgs that I could never seem to budge.

I've been a keen follower ever since.

This is a well structured program involving Sarah's own experience, diligent research and straight-forward easy to follow guidelines and recipes. This book is an invaluable asset to reducing one's sugar intake.

I still eat some sugar most days but this book has helped me to better understand how to curb the cravings and control my intake.

I'd highly recommend this book and the IQS community to anyone seeking to reduce their sugar consumption.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, simple, transformational, April 10, 2014
Ann Orman (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
One book that will transform your life! A subtle change to your diet that will leave you without sugar cravings, the highs & lows that our previous diet gave us and a clear understanding of what is slowly killing our society. I have degenerate arthritis in my knees and cutting out the sugar has eliminated 95% of my pain

3.0 out of 5 stars 8 Week Detox Program is more like 3 Week Detox Program, May 5, 2014
I picked this up because I've been trying (and failing) to lessen my sugar intake. I thought this book would provide an in-depth program that would help me quit sugar.

Unfortunately, only the first two weeks really provide any tips: in the first week, you "pare back on sugar" by replacing some of your high-sugar treats with better options. Eggs for breakfast instead of granola or high-sugar cereals, and other similar tips. In the second week, she recommends that you add more fats and protein to your diet to curb sugar cravings and to help you feel more full. So far, so good.... In the third week, she recommends that you go cold turkey and cut out all sugar in your diet. Everything must go, including: fruits, yogurts, granola, etc. It's all downhill from here. The remaining weeks don't offer you any great tips, or a "next" step. They deal with "Fac[ing] the Demons", distracting yourself with alternatives like brushing your teeth after dinner, adding a small amount of fruit, "Recovering from Lapses", and finally, "Refining and Moving Forward". Sorry, but most of those weeks are just useless crap. I was really hoping for a slower reduction of sugar that offered long-term results.

I'll keep the book around for the recipes (which is the reason for the 3-star rating), but most of the information isn't all that great and there's a lot of the author's opinion disguised as scientific facts.

1.0 out of 5 stars very pretty but not a solution if you want thorough 'quit sugar' program, June 13, 2014
From a graphic and artistic standpoint, it's a pretty book. The content and substance is very lacking. Not a real program here so the subtitle is very misleading. And frankly a lot of the recipes need work. It makes me wonder how much (if at all) they were tested. I've made nearly every major recipe and none were good. As a decent cook myself, I was very surprised at the general lack of balance. I spent a fair amount of money on food supplies to make these recipes and then spent even more time trying to make them taste good. I would suggest you take a look at this book in a bookstore before ordering it. You may even want to try a few recipes. I'm sorry to say it was so disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Reads more like a journal, July 19, 2014
Reads more like a journal. No food lists of what proteins or vegetables you could have. No sample menus. Disappointed with this purchase.

I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook by (Nutritionist) Sarah Wilson (Paperback - April 8, 2014)
$25.00 $15.81