Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2008 9:07:58 PM PDT
Good article. You should read the whole article I've replaced below. Unfortunately, he is an influential individual who can make things happen. It worries me, when guys like him are asking 'where's the outrage?' He and others like him (writers of bash books) have the voice, money, and power to make things happen, or can architect individuals to arise from the masses to create a voice of the people.

If you seriously put the brunt of the responsibility on the masses, you get dumb revolutions such as russia, france, laos, phillipines, china, etc... And we know how well those turned out. The American Revolution was cast by learned aristocracy, i.e., Franklin, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Henry, etc... It wasn't Joe Schmoe, Joe Blow, and Mary Jane Rotten Crotch. People will follow, but a leader must arise from the upper crust, to the masses. Do we really want another peanut farmer as a leader? Second worst President of all time, first being Jefferson "Peace at any cost..." Great writer, but complete a-hole as a President.

So although these are all good points that Iacocca makes, it makes little sense from where we stand for someone in his position to whine. If the king-makers are complaining, they have really no one to blame but themselves. I'm sure it was difficult writing this in his book while basking in his Bel Air home, while simultaneously trying to watch over his chairman position(s) and foundations. Rather than write yet another "why this country stinks" or "why I hate the president" book, he (and other like him) should follow in the footsteps of our forefathers and layout what needs to get done. But that would involve risk to their comfy existence... Our forefathers actually gambled and risked not only their wealth and properties, but their lives. What do these cowards risk? long as book sales are up.

Lastly, it's always ironic how individuals like him, who have all the answers (or right questions), are never willing to put their money where their mouth is. There are several well-known personalities like him, who I believe would or could make a big difference to our Nation, the world, and or community, but they never run. Why? Money... Iacocca is now 73. Only three years older than Reagan when he took office as President.

Instead, we get self-promoting professional politicians, lawyers, and hypocrites like we have running now. So although there are plenty of folks that fit Iacocca's idea of a leader, none of them will risk fame, fortune, and wealth in order to take a "legally" low paying job as a Senator, Rep, or President. And although I hate his guts and he's a complete jerk, I must give kudos to Al Franken, who is attempting to run for a Senate seat from Minnesota. At least he is willing to make a "sacrifice" in order to put his beliefs into action. God, I hope he doesn't win...

It's one thing to sit at home playing arm-chair quarterback and calling elected officials "clueless bozos," it's quite another to actually get out there and try and do something about it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 9, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Where Have All the Leaders Gone?
Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca (Audio CD - April 17, 2007)
3.9 out of 5 stars (396)