5.0 out of 5 stars Realizing Every Dream...
To R&B complainers: "YES, Ne-Yo's first album was strictly R&B, YES this album is not strictly R&B. Does that make this album worse, NO!"

Published on November 8, 2012 by Kevin. M

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointing; "Lazy Love" Is Superb
Published on November 11, 2012 by Michael Brent Faulkner, Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realizing Every Dream..., November 8, 2012
Kevin. M "Antidote" (Jamaica, right near the beach.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)

Ne-Yo has taken a steady approach and perfected the formula of evolving as an artist while not straying too far from his base. Even with the pop/trance songs, they are not over the top with sounds that feel like you're getting stabbed in the eardrum. Instead, they have the right melodies/sounds that make them enjoyable tracks. R.E.D. shows how he has grown as an artist. Releasing a remake of "In My Own Words" would've lead to criticism for sounding too familiar, while also releasing an album that's too different would've been criticized also.

His foundation that you are familiar with is still there if you have an ear for his music.

Best songs so far-
Cracks in Mr. Perfect. Lazy Love. Miss Right. Be the One. "Stress Reliever". Carry On. Should Be You. My Other Gun. Alone With You. But as we all know, it's the tracks that are initially overlooked that become your favorites over time.

(Not going to diss similar artist that released albums this year that pale in comparison, but they should really go to the drawing board!)

-5 star Guaranteed buy! Much needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The extra tracks are worth it, November 6, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
The mid tempo semi-biographical Soul groove "Cracks In Mr. Perfect" opens Ne-Yo's fifth album "R.E.D". It's a lush song with lovely harmonies on which he lists his shortcomings: "After this song you're gonna love me for my honesty or you're gonna hate me ... 20k on champagne in the club, then 20k more just because, that's 40k in just three hours". Cathartic it may be, it's also a great song. Following is the even more beautiful "Lazy Love" which is sensual and incredibly catchy. For more songs in a similar tempo, we have "Miss Right", the falsetto-sung "Jealous", the finger snap-laden "Stress reliever", the guitar-driven Country-ish "She Is" with Country star Tim McGraw, "Carry On (Her Letter To Him)", and the brilliant Beatles-esque "Alone With You (Maddie's Song)", an ode to his daughter Madilyn produced by Salaam Remi.

Not everything is slow though, current top 10 single "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)" is Euro Disco geared at the dance floor, as are "Forever Now", "Shut Me Down", and the rather generic pair of "Unconditional" and the iTunes bonus "Burning Up". The best of the lot is the Calvin Harris-assisted "Let's Go" with stabbing synths and an anthemic feel with Ne-Yo in fine vocal form.

"Don't Make Em Like You" features Wiz Khalifa and sounds a lot like "Miss Independent". The lovely "Be The One" is Techno with slowed down beats and it works very well. The Salaam Remi-produced "Should be You" features Fabolous and Diddy and is a brilliant mid tempo groove, while "My Other Gun" is breezy retro Soul with pseudo martial beats and a Lauryn Hill feel, similar to "Crazy Love" from his criminally underrated "Libra Scale" album.

Mr. Perfect may have some cracks, but he does offer a good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neyo's Red Musical Passion, November 10, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
I first heard of Neyo's new musical venture through one of my local newspapers. Neyo was being interviewed and he seemed to express a goal to create music that would appeal to people from various backgrounds. His message resonated with me because I personally believe that music is meant to be multi-cultural and universal. I enjoyed the fact that many of his songs seamlessly meld R&B, soul, electronica, and dance influences into his creations. As with millions of other people, the exciting "Let's Go" (featuring Calvin Harris) was my first introduction to R.E.D. "Let Me Love You" (Until You Learn To Love Yourself), "Miss Right", "Don't Make Em Like You" (featuring Wiz Khalifa), "Be The One", "Stress Reliever", and "She Is" (featuring Tim McGraw) are some of the catchy songs that are on this cd. "R.E.D" by Neyo is best if you are open to listening to love themed music that combines R&B, dance, and electronica influences.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, November 9, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
I was very excited to get this cd when I heard "Let me love you". I listened to the samples on Amazon and decided to purchase it. I can say they I am not disappointed. I think that the definition of a true artist is their ability to transform their music and still remain relevant and current. I noticed that a few of the tracks have techno beats but that does not change the quality of the music. I think it is unrealistic to think an artist's music is not going to change. R&B from the 70's does not sound the same from the 80's, 90's, 2000's....etc. A few artists such as Mary J Blige and R.Kelly have been able to transcend and evolve with the music industry. Ne-yo is a very talented singer and songwriter and this is a good cd in my opinion. He always makes classy music that does not degrade or objectify women. It would be very easy for Ne-yo to follow along with other male r&b artist and make degrading music. I applaud him for making a sexy, sophisticated current R&B cd!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars His best yet!, November 7, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
This here is Ne-Yo's best album yet. This is an R/B album with a definite mix of Hip-Hop, Pop, Techno, and a sample of country. This guy has truly came back to his true potential of being an artist. Trust me when I say, MJ would have had a number one album working with this guy. So far, my favorite album is "Miss Right" and the song "She Is" is a duet with Tim McGraw, which is awesome. Trust me, this album is a "MUST-BUY!!!"

4.0 out of 5 stars REDTastic, January 22, 2013
Darrell McCollum "Darrell Mc" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
Another Ne-Yo album, so you wonder what he will strive for in this attempt. His last album was a concept album and told a story through the tracks. This album is not conceptual, and his sound is crisp. It does have the "pop centric" songs that every R&B artist is making these days, I have to say I'm not crazy about that kind of music, I hear it and all I see are flashing lights. That's a personal note though,lol, but Ne-Yo's tracks are very good. Let's Go, Let Me Love You, they are not the best songs on the CD but they are nowhere near the worst either. He drops Lazy Love and some think it's the best song on R.E.D, but I would disagree, he goes on a nice run from Track 4 through 9 that you can put on repeat all day. At first listen I wasn't really feeling any songs but after my 3rd listen, the songs started to speak to me and the music made sense. This write up is a scrambled mess, just know this Amazoners, this is a quality cd, no bad songs, and probably his best work up to date. I have all of the cds and can listen to all of them in a random rotation. If you don't have this one, cop it, and like he said, "Enjoy the album."

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Genius, December 29, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (MP3 Music)
I really can not believe how much musical genius is packed into Ne-Yo's albums. I got this one the day after Thanksgiving for 4, and I wasn't even really aware he had a new album out until I saw the sale. I feel so luck to have discovered this. It's a mix of R&B and Dance tracks which fits my taste nicely, others may be upset about the hybrid album but in today's world you've got to appeal to a wide variety of audiences, especially when a majority of people rip the album off the internet without paying a dime!
These songs give off the type of melody from the 90's R&B era with some added tech sound. My favorites:
1. Lazy Love
2. Miss Right
3. Don't Make Em Like You

And if you find yourself liking this album, try Ne-Yo's Year of the Gentleman (2008), it's really good but this new one tops the books with almost every song sounding like it could be a hit single!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ne-Yo is music.., December 18, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
This album shows how music has changed over the last ten years. The genre lines have been blurred and gone are the days of a "classic R&B" album. Ne-Yo has said himself that he is MUSIC, period. He is growing with the times and he is making music that people can relate to. Whether you love R&B there's a few songs on here for you, if you love the dance scene, there's a few tracks on here for you. If you are a fan of music, then this album is for you. From slow R&B grooves like "Lazy Love" and "Stress Reliever" to dance tunes like "Forever Now" and "Shut Me Down" you get quality music from a growing artist.

Ne-Yo is a song writer first so the lyrical content on this album is there whether you're fist pumping or head nodding. You get a full story with a delicious melody to boot. In my humble opinion, R.E.D. is a refreshing album from an artist who will have longevity in this industry.

I suggest getting the Target deluxe edition, there are some gems in the bonus songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album Except for the Last Three Tracks, November 25, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (MP3 Music)
The first two tracks of the album, "Cracks in Mr. Perfect" and "Lazy Love", are winners. They had me hooked so I figured the rest of the album would be just as dope! "Let Me Love You" followed the first two records, which isn't a terrible song. It's the single so I knew that Ne-Yo had to put that on the album. "Miss Right" & "Jealous" were two typical Ne-Yo records, which I really enjoyed. However, once "Don't Make Em Love You" came on, I got so excited. The musicality in this record blows my mind. Ne-Yo really did something great with this track! "Be the One" is alright--nothing exciting. "Stress Reliever" is definitely a sexy baby-making song. "She Is" is another good song. I respect Ne-Yo for doing this track because he went outside of his comfort zone a bit. It went outside of the typical "R&B" genre. "Carry On (Her Letter to Him)" is another typical Ne-Yo track. The last three, "Forever Now", "Shut Me Down", and "Unconditional" follow the new format in the mainstream industry. This electronic dance music has been taking over, but I think R&B artists should remain just that... R&B! Other than that complaint, I really like this album. I will be listening to this for awhile.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointing; "Lazy Love" Is Superb, November 11, 2012
This review is from: R.E.D. (Audio CD)
Ne-Yo returns with 2012′s R.E.D. (Realizing Every Dream), his first release for Motown and fifth studio album. R.E.D. Follows up 2010's Libra Scale, which marked Ne-Yo's lowest bowing and selling studio album (it failed to go gold). R.E.D. lacks the punch of Ne-Yo's previous albums, featuring too many dance-pop oriented numbers and too second-rate contemporary R&B cuts compared to his past. R.E.D. has some solid moments, but as a whole is easily Ne-Yo's must uneven affair.

"Cracks in Mr. Perfect" opens R.E.D. sporting an autobiographical vibe from Ne-Yo, something we haven't necessarily seen previously. He brings it all together on an enjoyable chorus if word chorus ("I'm a little irresponsible most of the time/I'm a man of my word but only when I ain't lying/I say I'm not a hater but I hate to see you shine...") in addition to some memorable lines during the verse. While length is a bit of a misnomer, it is not a deal breaker on one of R.E.D.'s more unique moments.

Shea Taylor serves as producer on top-notch slow jam "Lazy Love," the strongest cut from R.E.D. Ne-Yo is his most seductive here, foreshadowed by the intro ("Singin' ooh, said ooh ooh, lazy love..."). The songwriting is the best job of the album, yielding an addicting pre-chorus ("but baby I gotta go/I got responsibilities I gotta take care of...") and even more addictive chorus ("You got that I don't wanna, that I don't wanna, I don't wanna go nowhere, that lazy love..."). "Lazy Love" is by no means `lazy' in quality.
"Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)," reunites Ne-Yo with Stargate, and proves to be well-rounded. It finds itself a shade less notable compared to Ne-Yo's best croosver cuts, but is definitely a hit on the Billboard Hot 100. If nothing else, it lifts Ne-Yo after a two-year hiatus.

"Miss Right" works well if not exceptionally. It possesses the cue of Ne-Yo's best material, but does not quite achieve the same high watermark. In terms of its viability on this album, it proves sound by all accounts and very much a `Ne-Yo' creation. Ne-Yo does excel at bedroom talk after all, albeit tamer than some of his contemporaries.
"Jealous" is not flashy by most regards, but works well enough. Ne-Yo's, much like the number itself comes off a shade to low key ultimately. That said, "Don't Make `Em Like You," which features Wiz Khalifa seems too `gimmicky' for Ne-Yo. Ne-Yo has never came over as `overt' and while "Don't Make `Em Like You" is not lyrically so, its production is a stretch for the artist. Ne-Yo performs capably regardless of trivialization though Wiz's rap is blah.

"Be The One" aims to be a tamer "Let Me Love You..." It ends up being `too safe,' Even given dubstep wobble of which Ne-Yo vamps "Girl let me be the one...," in near monotone. "Stress Reliever" atones, yielding a slow pace that suits Ne-Yo perfectly (think "Why Does She Stay" from Year of the Gentleman). He convincingly sells the chorus: "She knows what she doing/she knows what that does/every time she do it, set it off, no matter what, oh, oh..."

"She Is" features surprise guest Tim McGraw. The collaboration works as both artists complement each other, but does fails to deliver a definitive punch per say. More `shaping' may have made the solid "She Is" ascend to higher ranks.

"Carry On (Her Letter To Him)" lacks direction and urgency, marking a diminution of momentum. "Forever Now" doesn't atone, beginning a series of pop-crossover cuts aiming for "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)" glory, that all ultimately fall short. "Shut Me Down" and "Unconditional" don't dare compare to the solid first half of R.E.D., ending the effort relatively disappointing.

Overall, R.E.D. disappoints. It is by no means a horrible album, but it lacks Ne-Yo's usual `spark'. Undoubtedly, R.E.D suffers the fate of being Ne-Yo's weakest album. Even so, Ne-Yo sounds strong vocally throughout, even if at times you yearn for him to assert himself even more. Mixed feelings ultimately.

R.E.D.
R.E.D. by Ne-Yo (Audio CD - 2012)