5.0 out of 5 stars The most Fun I have ever had with a party game
In my experience, no game has gotten as many laughs as Time's Up. I guess that its biggest praise is that it is easily the most requested game in my collection as well as the fact that playing the game with us has caused several other people to go out and buy the game themselves. Time's Up is also my wife's favourite game.

Time's Up is a party game and, as...
Published on December 9, 2008 by Christian Monterroso

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but very easy.
This is a fun game, as I loved the original Times Up, however, this version, is very easy. It's all titles, and quite easy titles at that. We played the other day and finished in a fraction of the time it takes the original game. Definately worth the play, just not challenging in any way.
Published on October 20, 2009 by midwest tv guy

5.0 out of 5 stars The most Fun I have ever had with a party game, December 9, 2008
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)

Time's Up is a party game and, as such, will not cater to everyone. We play a large variety of games, including many of the more popular party games like Apples to Apples, Balderdash, Guesstures, Taboo, Cranium, Pictionary, Headbandz, 25 Words Or Less, and more. We also play strategy games like Puerto Rico and El Grande (and like them a lot), but for some crowds, only a party game will do. Time's Up is the choice number one.

When I first heard about this game, I was a little skeptical whether I would actually enjoy it at all. I'm glad that I was convinced to try it out. I picked up my own copy shorty afterwards. Inside the box, I found the standard party game fare: One 30-second timer, scorepad, rules sheet and several cards.

Each card contains 2 names of people - either real or fictional. Only one of these names will be used in any single play. There are easily enough cards in the box to last several play since you will only need 40 cards for each play. Even after exhausting the deck, memorizing the names of the cards will only help you if you find yourself playing with someone that has also previously played with that same card. If you do end up playing enough that this becomes an issue, there are two expansion packs jam packed with new names. There are also blank cards available so that you can create your own set of names.

The rules sheet doubles as a reference sheet that contains a list of every name used in the game, plus a description of who each person is. These pages are not actually referenced until the game is well underway, as I'll explain below.

The game starts by selecting which set of names will be used - there is a yellow side and a blue side to every card - and distributing 40 cards evenly amongst all the players. The rules state that everyone then gets an additionl card and then they pick any one of their cards to be thrown out for the rest of the game. We like to play without using this particular rule because it's those names that get thrown out that are often the most fun to play with since nobody seems to know who the person is.

Once everyone has taken a good look at their cards, all the cards are collected into a single pile and shuffled together. Each team then takes a turn trying to get as many points as possible. In the first round, one of the team members give out clues to her teammates. Any clue is valid, as long as any word that is spoken does not contain a significant portion of the answer. Clues may include talking, miming, singing, humming, or anything else that you can think of. You can even use 'rhymes with' clues, as long as you don't say the word that the answer actually sounds like. For example, if the name you are trying to get is 'Cable', then you cannot say "it rhymes with table". You can, however, say "it rhymes with the wooden furniture that you use to eat off of.".

In this first round, the giver has 30 seconds to get as many of the cards as they can. However, the team cannot pass, making things a lot more challenging. The most hilarious moments come when two partners just can't click. Everyone else in the room may know the answer based on the giver's clues, except the partner! Even funnier is when the given thinks of the perfect clue and the partner guesses the correct person for the clue, but the person on the card is somebody entirely different!

Admitedly, this first round can be intimidating for people who are not used to party games. I have had more than a handful of players throw up their hands and exclaim "I can't do this". In every instance, those players quickly got the hang of the game and had as much fun as the rest of us.

When a receiver correctly guesses the name on the card, that team gets to keep the card. Any card that they did not get goes back into the pile. The pile is shuffled and moved on to the next team. That means that, eventually, the same names will pop up again. Sometimes, over and over again. Fortunately, by the time the name has appeared a few times, somebody has memorized it and some associated clue and will guess correctly, even if they have no idea who the person actually is!

After all 40 cards are guessed, everyone pauses to slow down the laughter. Each team scores one point for each card in their possession. Of course, the fun is just beginning. First of all, we need to find out who exactly Henry Wadsworth Longfellow happens to be. The rules/reference sheet tells us who everyone is and, armed with the new knowledge, everyone is ready for the second round. All the cards are collected into one common pile and shuffled together once again.

In the second round, the team with the lowest score starts. This time, the giver may only use one single word as a clue. She is still allowed to perform any charades or hum a tune, but a second word defaults the current card. The giver still only has 30 seconds to get as many cards as possible. However, this time, she is allowed to pass. Not only that, but the guesser can only make one guess per card. This leads to a mad flurry of cards flying out of the way in search of some name with an obvious clue. That is, until all the 'easy' cards have been guessed and we are left franktically miming Placido Domingo, Fats Domino and Minnesota Fats. This round plays surprisingly fast, thanks to the one word clue, and the fact that everyone has already seen the names on the cards at least once.

At the end of the round, everyone counts their points again and we collect the cards to start the third round. This time, referencing the names sheet is not allowed but laughing at all the ridiculous miming and humming is encouraged.

For the third round, you are allowed to pass but you are not allowed to say a single word. This plays much like charades - plus humming - but with cards that you already know! This means that you can fly through 8 or 9 cards if you get on a roll, but you can get stuck with your partner consistently yelling the wrong name if Barney The Dinosaur, Barney Rubble and Fred Flintstone are all in there! Since only one guess is allowed per card, you are forced to pass and move on to the next card.

After three rounds, everyone counts up their last batch of cards. The winning team is the one with the most cumulative cards collected in all three rounds. Of course, by this point, hardly anybody cares about the score. Everyone is usually laughing and rearing to play again.

We have played the game with as few as 4 and as many as 16 people. I find that 6 is probably the best number. With more than 8, you'll want to start grouping people in more than two per team. We like to partner people up who are the least familiar with each other. Generally, the game seems more fun when partners have completely different interests.

Time's Up is the most fun that I have ever had with a party game.

RATING: 9.5/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, disappointing design flaw, January 13, 2009
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
If you like Time's Up, you will probably like this sequel. It is a fun party game. Players take turns trying to get their partners to guess famous titles of songs, movies, fine art, etc. The first round, pretty much anything goes. You can say whatever you think will get your partner to guess correctly, as long as you don't say any words on the card. But you can't pass. This is where the title version is slightly easier than the name version. If the title on your card is something your teammate has never heard, you can try to work out the various words. (ie If he/she is not familiar with "The Blue Boy," you can probably still get those words out, whereas if someone doesn't know the name Shahrazad... good luck.)

The second round, you use the same titles and can say only one word to get a guess and you can pass if you can't think of a good one. This round usually goes pretty fast. The third round, no words are allowed. Your partner must guess off gestures and sound effects only.

Title Recall also adds an optional fourth round where players guess the titles based on a single pose. This sounded pretty difficult so we haven't tried it, figuring why mess with a good thing, but it could be fun.

The game is best played with four or six players (with six you can do two teams of three or three teams of two), more players and things can get hard to follow.

This is definitly one of my favorite games, but I still had to take away one star because the makers downgraded the sand timer. You get a teeny tiny timer that is very difficult to see. Several times the sand was stuck and it took time for anyone to notice. We've mostly taken to passing the timer around the table so one person is in charge of watching it (holding it at eye level is about the only way most of us could see it), but it would work so much better if everyone could watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of laughs, easy to set up, March 19, 2011
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
I read the customer review about this version of the game being "all titles", and that is not accurate. This game is all about guessing the names of people (present and past, real and unreal) or fictional characters (in cartoons, literature, mythology etc.) It is a hoot because with each round, the game becomes more difficult and, therefore, more hilarious. I like it especially because you do not need to set up a game board. You just need a central spot to place a deck of the answer cards. You need space for acting out the clues, but otherwise you can play it almost anywhere. I played it in my livingroom where we all sat around a small coffee table. Great buy - a nice change from the usual. No one had heard of this game when I brough it out, and they all loved it. But note that this game is too difficult for even older children to play. Beyond the occasional references to pop culture celebrities, they would not know whom the vast majority of the answers refer to, and it would slow the game down too much to include them. I do not know if there is a junior version, but this is a game for adults and perhaps mature teens.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but very easy., October 20, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars The more the merrier!, August 2, 2012
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
Time's up has been a favorite of my friends and I for years now. When the member of our group that owned the game moved away I decided to buy this 'Deluxe' edition, and it's the same game with some small improvements. The rules are all exactly the same, there are a new names, and instead of a little hour glass to keep time they give you a digital timer. All in all, if you already have the original game, don't bother upgrading. If you are contemplating trying it out for the first time, though, it's hours and hours of fun for as many people as you can get to sit down!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG buy this Game, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
I saw a bunch of review on this game not only from Amazon but from around the web that said it was one of the best games you could buy and it is. Every time I'm visiting family we play this game, and it's not as if I have to twist anyone's arms to play it, they're always coming up and asking when we're gonna get it out. I also find it to be very educational, because if someone doesn't know who a person is, we find ourselves telling them the information, and usually why they're famous, so everyone benefits. This game is tons of fun and I'm so glad that I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for just about everyone!, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
I played a party game version of this called "Celebrity" where everyone writes the name of a famous person or character, could be real or imaginary, on a piece of paper, put them in a hat and play three rounds. The first round is where you can use all the words you want to get your partner to name the person, second round you can only use two words and the third round is charades to get your partner to say the character. You keep using the same names until they all run out. Unfortunately, when you play that way, there is always a Jesus, Harry Potter and Disney characters. What makes this boxed game so much more fun is there are cards that have names most people over 15 would know but would never think of. There is a timer so you aren't watching a watch or forget to time the round because you are laughing so hard. I would not recommend this game for anyone younger than 13 but any number of people can play which makes it fun for a family get together or a party. The rules are easy to follow and you can always add names to the list if you want. I LOVE this game so much that I have been buying them and giving them away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game!, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
My friends and I had a blast playing this game. The instructions seem confusing at first, but it's super simple once you understand the rules. Such a great party game. I was hesitant to buy it, but am so glad I did! It provided hours of laughs and I can't wait to play again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funnest game every, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
We have had more fun with this game than we have had in years! This game takes even the most shy person out of their shell. You also find out how articulate your family/friends are (or are not, as the case may be). We have played it four times with four different sets of people, and each time we laugh so hard that we can hardly catch our breath. Just be sure to look up"Vetruvian Man" before you start playing the game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only fun if you know who these people are - and you probably won't, December 25, 2013
This review is from: Time's Up - Deluxe (Toy)
I read reviews and it sounded like a fun game. The problem is that many of the names are obscure. In the game pile of 40 we only knew about 10 of the names. Here are some I just pulled out of the stack: Michael Doonesbury, William Randolph Hearst, The invisible Man, The Teflon Don, Betty Boop, Kirsten Dunst, Carmen Miranda, Samuel Colt, The Splendid Splinter, Steve Buscemi, Mata Hari, Jonah, Miley Cyrus, Mark Spitz, Jim Bowie, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, Nero, Cameron Diaz, Ravi Shanker, Captain Morgan, Boba Fett, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Lady Bird Johnson, Levi Stauss, Hermes, Hawkeye Pierce, Sirhan Sirhan, The very Hungry Caterpillar, Britney Spears. Within that list of names there are a handful I know and some that I have heard the name but really cant place them and some I have never heard of. Your teammate will have a similar experience but chances are they won't be familiar with the same ones you are. Especially if you are different generations or have different interests. This would be really fun for a group who is good with history, pop culture and names, otherwise find another game.

Time's Up - Deluxe