1,139 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars This Review Contains No Spoilers
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars TOUGH DAY
Nick (Ryan Reynolds) a slightly dirty cop dies early in the film. In the afterlife he is teamed up with Roy (Jeff Bridges) an old western marshal. Together they cruise Boston looking for "deados," people who are dead, but somehow missed getting caught up in the vortex because "the system wasn't designed for the heavy volume."

The plot, inane as...
Published 16 months ago by The Movie Guy

4.0 out of 5 stars This Review Contains No Spoilers, July 31, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (DVD)
I haven't read all the negative reviews, but I'm surprised that more people are not giving this movie 4 or 5 stars. I thought it was great. Jeff Bridges and Mary Louis Parker have great chemistry. Ryan Reynolds? I tend to agree with the reviewer who wrote that Reynolds just did not seem right for this movie. R.I.P.D is obviously a take on the Men-In-Black movies, but who cares? How many movies are its own version of Die Hard? The movie has plenty of action, and it also has some very funny scenes. I about lost it when Jeff Bridges describes what a coyote did to his skull after he died--and that's all I'm saying. Just know it's one of the funniest movie moments ever!! R.I.P.D is approximately 90 minutes long. I appreciated there were no scenes where I found myself wishing things would move on. It's a fun movie with lots of action, mostly good acting, and a sci-fi plot that was not overly far-fetched. Go watch it. You'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining as just plain fun..., October 12, 2013
Daniel (MISSION VIEJO, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (Amazon Instant Video)
If you are the type who prefers to over think a movie rather than sitting back and enjoying the ride, please don't spoil this adventure for others with deep analysis paralysis comments. For certain this movie shares attributes similar to those of MIB and Ghostbusters but it also has its own original flair. It is non stop action and the characters are quite entertaining. The hour and a half flew by. Character outfitting and CGI realism detail are not what this movie is about so be fair to everyone and just ask yourself if you enjoyed it. I did! I'm posting this as I almost postponed watching this thinking my husband would not want to see it due to the average review rating. I am so glad we did. We were both chuckling throughout it and others deserve to enjoy this flick as we have. This is Kim posting, not Dan. So; sit back, grab your popcorn and just prepare to have fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dude kicks butt, July 21, 2013
Wulfstan "wulfstan" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (DVD)
This movie will not win any Oscars, I would guess, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Jeff Bridges was great, and It's nice to see a female star who is played as just smart, attractive and solidly in control rather than a brainless bimbo.

Ryan Reynolds does a solid job too. Great special effects.

I'd say a cross between Dead Like me and Men In Black.

Don't listen to the critics, this film was a blast to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on a Comic Book --This is an incerdiblly entertaining movie!, October 12, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (Amazon Instant Video)
Don't watch the trailer or read anything about this before you watch it. It is one of those movies that is designed to keep you on your toes. It is, for all intents and purposes, a cross between Men in Black, the best cop movies, the best cowboy movies, Ghostbusters, The Matrix, and the best Pixar/Disney Animations. It is not for kids because of the violence and some language. Jeff Bridges is hilarious. Ryan Reynolds plays a great straight man to Bridges. Kevin Bacon shows his range of acting in a movie one would not expect to see him in. The movie is very fast moving and if you blink you WILL miss something. Lots of graphics and sight gags make this a must-see popcorn or pizza movie!

Are you going to "learn" anything from it? No. Folks, it is a freaking MOVIE. Don't get caught up in the topic of the afterlife. Suspend your personal beliefs (Movie Going 101) and just enjoy this epic comic offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big-Screen Comic Book Adaptation “R.I.P.D.” Provides Fun and Humor, October 26, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (DVD)
"R.I.P.D." is yet another example of a film killed by early bad press. Based on the Dark Horse comic book, this supernatural action/comedy is quite a bit of fun. Is the storyline predictable and recycled from other films of this nature? Of course it is; but you don't stop riding rollercoasters just because one has the same amount of loops another one does at the other end of the amusement park.

After meeting his own demise, a crooked Boston cop (Ryan Reynolds) is given a choice in the afterlife. Join the forces of the "Rest in Peace Department" and hunt down Deados or take his chances on Judgment Day. He partners up with a former Wild West lawman (Jeff Bridges) to hunt down criminal souls who refuse to vacate the Earth after death and face their eternal punishment. The two discover a plot to reverse the tunnel to the afterlife, allowing millions of corrupt and angry souls to invade the world.

Jeff Bridges pours himself into the role of an old-fashioned Wild West sheriff struggling with the modern excesses of the world. Ryan Reynolds looks like he's having a good time, as well. You can tell Kevin Bacon loves playing a bad guy and he shows it here.

The DVD version of "R.I.P.D." includes a few bonus features. There are deleted and alternate scenes accompanied by a gag reel. A featurette entitled "Transferring 'R.I.P.D.' - The Making of" takes viewers behind the scenes of the film.

"R.I.P.D." is rated PG-13 for violence, sci-fi/fantasy action, some sensuality, and language including sex references. I agree with all of the above warnings. Also, the monsters in the movie are rather cartoonish and not as scary as one might think. There's nothing too over-the-top visually to be found. It's as safe as any of the "Men in Black" movies.

As you would imagine, any references to God are removed from "R.I.P.D." Instead, Jeff Bridges' character refers to the ruling power as "The Universe." However, there's nothing I would say is religiously offensive as far as content is concerned.

Although the CGI shows its limits quite a bit, it's not enough to rob "R.I.P.D." of the humor, wit, and energy it exudes. If you long for a light-hearted supernatural adventure you can enjoy while veg'ing out on the couch and eating popcorn, this is your movie. It very much wears its influences on its sleeve - a nice mix of "Men in Black" and a tamer "Constantine." Basically, just replace aliens with dead people who mutate into monsters and you have a good idea of what to expect.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed the Performances, August 7, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD UltraViolet) (Blu-ray)
Interesting film depending how you look at it. This is not necessarily original or innovative film making. Yet, the characters sketched out save this film. There is good acting here. Great character studies. The surround sound was very impressive. What else are summers for? I liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spooktacular Fun Romp!, November 2, 2013
Mario Brescio (Trenton, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I noticed most of the negative reviews are from those who are comparing R.I.P.D. with other films. This isn't Ghostbusters or Men in Black it is R.I.P.D. and it is a great fun film. If you want those other movies, then watch those other movies and stop the negative comparisons.

Yes you have seen the story a thousand times before and will probably see it a thousand times more. It's the good guys against the bad guys with the fate of the world in the balance. Of course the good guys are newly partnered and don't like each other in the beginning of the film, but are best buddies by the end.

If you are looking for an amusing, enjoyable, and entertaining way to spend about an hour and a half I would highly recommend watching R.I.P.D. It has a great cast, a crazy twisted plot, better than expected special effects and lots of snappy winsome humor.

This film isn't going to win any Oscars or a Nobel Prize or change the world in any significant way; however it will take your mind off your troubles for 96 minutes and add a little fun to your day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Un-Dead Cops? Really? C'mon!, July 18, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (DVD)
"Un-dead police officers?" Really? C'mon! This PG-13 action-fest once again had me scanning my mental Thesaurus... Absurd? Ludicrous? Preposterous? Ridiculous? Outrageous? Goofy? Hilarious? I think you get the picture. If you've seen the ads you know a recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers in the Rest In Peace Department.

This goofy comedy, written by Phil Hay/Matt Manfridi ("Clash of the Titans") and directed by Robert Schwentke ("Red") is a sure-fire winner, full of action, comedy and Computer Generated Imaging. I freely admit that there were times things got too, too silly and my interest faltered, but then the story rallied again.

We watch:
* Jeff Bridges ("Hearts of the West") is Roy, wearing a Buffalo Bill beard and mumbling like he has a lower lip full of chewing tobacco; he's an old-time lawman on the third sixty-year extension of his assignment.
* Marisa Miller (Victoria's Secret model) in her slinky gold dress, is Roy's avatar when he walks among us.
* Ryan Reynolds ("Chaos Theory") is Nick, slain by his trusted partner and stunned by this new turn of events. He quickly adjusts to the idea that he can't be killed any more, at least THAT is a relief!
* James Hong ("Safe") is Nick's avatar.
* Mary Louise Parker ("Red") is Proctor, the R.I.P.D. orientation officer in her short black uniform and white knee-length go-go boots...she made me think of Diana Rigg.
* Kevin Bacon ("Frost/Nixon") is Officer Hayes, ready and willing to comfort his partner's widow.

The CGI technicians had a blast and the audience saw blowie uppie stuff galore! Our poor heroes are really up against big-time trouble: Global Warming, the Black Plague and bad cell-phone reception. At least Amazon will tell us when the DVD is available.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Great Fun!!!, October 16, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (Amazon Instant Video)
This was a lot of fun. Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds have very cool chemistry in this fun flick. Jeff Bridges is hilarious, and so is Reynolds. I'm giving it five stars because it's the movie Ghost, MIB, and Ghost Busters all wrapped up into one. Great marriage of plots, and ideas. Not meant to be an Oscar winner, just fun and entertaining, and it was just that...Great Fun!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars TOUGH DAY, August 4, 2013
This review is from: R.I.P.D. (DVD)

The plot, inane as it was, had some good MIB potential. Indeed they did spend money on special effects. The main problem was that the main characters were more annoying than entertaining, especially Bridges who down right prated on my nerves. Reynolds didn't impress and neither did his mousy wife (Stephanie Szostak). Kevin Bacon did what he could with his role. The characters and dialouge had no hook. Mary-Louise Parker had some snarky lines, but wasn't on the screen long enough.

Worth a rental, but not much more.

Parental Guide: Near f-bomb. No sex or nudity.

R.I.P.D. (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD UltraViolet)
R.I.P.D. (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD UltraViolet) by Robert Schwentke (Blu-ray - 2013)
$34.98 $14.99