Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2007 4:44:23 AM PDT
From his official blog:

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90

"It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ
left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most
horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the
years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about
facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God's
timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally
grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look
forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet.
I love you bubba.

Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to
the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.

Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through
this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that
she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work.
We've all felt the love that you've been sending my brother/cousin.
Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.

Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.

My sincerest thanks.

Peace and Light be with each of you,

Wilson
Brother/Cousin
4th of 3

To Catalyst: Never, never loose faith. RJ did not. Harriet hasn't. I
haven't. Going through what we have, our faith is only strengthened.
Besides, if God didn't exist, we would have never had Jim. We did. God
does. Remember my Brother/Cousin, my friend, think of him fondly and
glorify God's name.

Editor's Note:
The entire staff of Dragonmount.com would like to extend its most
deepest sympathies to Robert Jordan's family. He touched all of our
lives in some way and we wish him the rest and peace he deserves. We
will be posting information in the near future about where you can
send condolences. Please check the News Section for these updates. "

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 9:05:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2007 8:30:55 AM PDT
Anthrophile says:
I never loved Robert Jordan.

There are writers you love, you know?

You don't know them, but you feel like you do, because their work speaks to you on such a deep level you feel that they've revealed something important to you. You feel like you own a part of them -- some people to the point where they forget that the author in question *doesn't know you back*. But the affection they inspire is a genuine one. You want to know more. Talk to them, dialogue.

I never felt this way towards Robert Jordan. His books were hot stuff for me for a while -- I was nineteen or twenty, I think, when I found him in the library, and was still wholly into the whole fantasy-with-pointy-ears-and-cool-medieval-outfits shtick.

But I don't recall *loving* him, ever. There was always distance, be it from his prose or his characters or the calatogish nature of the world he presented -- it was exciting, but I didn't long to live there, I didn't long to know these people, and through that, I never longed to know *him*. (And I've got a very snippy review of "Crossroads of Twilight" posted on this site to prove it.)

Then the series began to streeeeeech -- probably, sadly, what it's most famous for, now -- and I began to get actively angry with the fellow. It reeked of *exploitative capitalism*, to me, on his part or the part of the publishers -- milking an existing title until it was wrung dry of all life and creativity instead of crafting new worlds. Making the product suffer for the cash, selling out like so many have before.

I quit after book five, hoping to pick up again when everything was done. Then the stretching began and hearing about it, I, miffed, lost all desire to finish at all.

Then I learned of his illness. And now I am beginning to rethink. I'm projecting, I know, all kinds of things I have no way of knowing and no real right to believe.

But I wonder. This was his magnum opus, his Best Work, the thing he will be remembered for more than anything else, perhaps.

I don't know how universal this is, but I've heard other writers confess to this, professional and non, and have actually experienced this myself in my own pipsqueak-pseudowriter way -- a moment where you truly and honestly and fully believe that you are about to die, a euphoria almost, where the first thing you think isn't Oh god, my family, or This hurts!, not I've never seen the Alps! or D*mmit I am too young!

It's "I can't die, I haven't finished my story yet."

(After which comes either a big "AW, SHOOT NO!" or more irrationally, a hubristic "Well, I'll be okay, then!")

Because the story isn't you. It has a life of its own, in your head, in your heart. It's a separate entity almost, and oh god, you are FAILING it. You are *disappointing the story*. It *needs* you. So you can't go, not yet. You owe the story its life.

Mad presumptuous, huh?

No less true, though.

So I found my heart softening towards Robert Jordan. In his wheelchair, body failing, still trying to pump it out, to stuff every last detail in his heart and brain onto the blank pages, to fully birth his world, his creation. The annoying endless description, the tangents, the veerings, the extra characters, the off-topic tl:dr -- just trying to get it out of him and into the world and into the hearts and minds of other people. Here is my world, here are my people, I have to tell you *everything* about them, so you can know them as well as I do, love them the way I do. So that they, at least, can live on. Please, I want to share this all with you.

It would be so heartless of me to begrudge him that. Wouldn't it?

I will never finish reading this series, most likely. But I still wonder if maybe he was stretching the books out as a sort of bargain with fate -- I can't die until I've finished my great work. Give me just a little longer. Just a little longer -- I'm not done.

God bless you and keep you, Robert Jordan -- James Rigney, sir -- I am so, so sorry you didn't get more time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, Book 11)
Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, Book 11) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - October 11, 2005)
3.6 out of 5 stars (850)