Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: R. Kelly
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 9, 2003
This album in my opinion is R's finest of all. Sadly 1995's "R. Kelly" seems slept on (Due to a lack of real hit singles?), which is a damned shame as he never got as deep before or since. It is mature, beautifully orchestrated and he had now found his own vibe. "Born Into The 90s" and to a lesser extent "12 Play" were soaked with the influence of Guy's New Jack era material and although both (especially the later) had great chart friendly appeal, this album is his fully realised masterpiece.
Operating within the framework of a gospel themed intro and closure, R. is on best behaviour and there is little of the shallow, thug posturings that on occasion have hurt his recent releases like "R" and "TP-2.Com". There is a chilled, bumping flow throughout and this is no better exemplified than on probably my favourite R. Kelly track of all, "Down Low". The chemistry between R and Ronald Isley (Brother Ernie assisting on guitar) is beautiful to behold. A true epic, laid back jam. "Contagious" the sequel (On Isley Brothers' "Eternal" album) is equally excellent.
Other highlights to be found include "You Remind Me Of Something" with it's humourous metaphors and "(You To Be) Be Happy" which effortlessly works a Notorious BIG rap in. There's the usual quality bedroom ballad "Step In My Room", yet he ploughs a deeper grain with the exquisite "I Can't Sleep Baby (If I)". "Hump Bounce" and "Thank God It's Friday" are prime relaxed, head nodders.
There's not a weak moment to be found and the LP's self titled moniker of "R. Kelly" surely comes from the work here being the ultimate personal statement of his artistic muse. Despite the relative inconsistency of subsequent efforts I'm sure he can sleep well, rest assured that in this album he produced a true work of class no matter what the future holds...
on May 16, 2002
On this album R.Kelly proves his power of write, arrange and perfom better than ever.its that in this one contains more romantic R&B songs and less hip-hop. He also uses almost all the Instruments in this one. My favorites tracks are: HUMP BOUNCE(SMOOTH PARTY UP SONG), NOT GONNA HOLD (ABOUT RELANTIONSHIP),
YOU REMIND ME OF SOMETHING(RELAXING,SEXUAL AND HOT), STEP IN MY
ROOM(GREAT SWEET BALLAD),DOWN LOW(GREAT SLOW JAM duet with RONALD ISLEY),I CANT SLEEP BABY(THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TRACK ON THE ALBUM),THANK GOD IS FRIDAY (DANCE CLUB MUSIC)AND RELIGIOUS LOVE (VERY SPIRITUAL LOVING SONG). For me this ONE of his best albums. R.Kelly has proved this work and his next two, that he getting BETTER AND BETTER.GREAT JOB KELLY,KEEP YOUR HEAD UP NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!. WELL I HOPE EVERYONE WILL ENJOY THIS CD A LOT. SO GO AND BUY IT NOW.
on February 26, 2004
One of my favorite albums by R. This is when we had to realize, "this brother is talented!!!!" This album was good because he had some of his love songs on it, then the songs to make you groove, and threw in some spirtual songs to round it off. There is something for everyone on this CD.
My favorite cuts on this CD:
2. Hump Bounce - nice litte groove
6. Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby
7. You to be Happy
8. Down Low - the relationship between he and Isley was born
9. I can't sleep baby
14.Temp Slow
16. Trade in My life - he was testifying on this song!!!
The whole album is good, but the songs I listed are the songs I play the most.
on July 13, 2002
No one in the music Industry can`t touch R.Kelly;he has a phenomenon gift to create great music for lovers. I think this is one of the Best R&B albums ever made ( of course with the exception of HIS SLAMMIN JAMMIN CLASSIC TP-2.COM (12 PLAY TWO) and his `98 album R.)because have smooth grooves,relaxing hot slow jams and sensual mid-tempo ballads. My favorites songs are: HUMP BOUNCE,YOU REMIND ME OF SOMETHING, STEP IN MY ROOM, BABY, BABY,BABY, DOWN LOW, I CAN`T SLEEP BABY, LOVE IS ON THE WAY, RELIGIOUS LOVE, TEMPO SLOW AND TRADE IN MY LIFE. THIS FABOLOUS ALBUM GOES FOR ME LIKE A CLASSIC SO GO AND BUY IT NOW...!
on March 13, 2000
It's been five years since this album was released, and I STILL listen to it almost every day. This is what makes him the true KING OF R & B. He shows his real talent in this one. He plays ALL the instruments himself. He doesn't try to make sounds just by pressing some buttons on the computer, which is almost dominating the R & B of today. Keep up the good work (which he did with "R.").
The lyrics have an ability to stay in your mind. I know all the lyrics and ad-libs. And that doesn't mean that they're simple. They're original. His unique style of saying things is just fantastic. Take for instance: "You remind me of my jeep, I wanna ride it. Something like my sound, I wanna pump it. Girl you look just like my cars, I wanna wax it. And something like my bank account, I wanna spend it."
R. Kelly sings about the biggest and best emotion of all: LOVE. The songs concern seduction, not wasting time if it isn't true love, what a woman means, secrecy, his love dying, he looks into his life and more.
This is a masterpiece from the biggest and most brilliant soulartist of the 90's. You just put it on and let it play. Now his is pure soul that makes you listen to over and over again. Anyone that likes soul or R & B will like this, simply timeless. If you don't have it, then why are you still reading this. BUY IT.
on November 5, 2003
Oh this is the first album from R.Kelly that I have bought about 5 or 6 years ago and still I`m enjoyed like it`s still brand new. This is at first, one of the best albums I have listen to it (in addition with with his 2000 Classic "TP-2.Com" Album, THE BEST R&B ALBUM EVER MADE and his recent Classic "Chocolate Factory" Album).Every single song is amazing and beautiful. Its the type of album can make you very relax and for the moment made your problems dissapear. I love the way how Kellz managed to been singing about love making and about religious love for god and for life. My personal favorites here are: "Hump Bounce", "Not Gonna Hold", "You Remind Me Of Something", "Step In My Room", "Down Low(Nobody Has To Know)", "I Can`t Sleep Baby(If I)", "Thank God Its Friday", "Religious Love" and The Beautiful Gospel "Trade In My Life". In my opinion this is R.Kelly`s Second Best Album tied with "Chocolate Factory" and behind His Best Album "TP-2.Com". But I tell you to get this know even if you don`t like r&b you will loving it.
on March 21, 2002
Very few albums out at the moment are so good that you can listen to it from start to finish. Although this is far more mellow and laid-back than just about all of Kelly's other albums, the consistant quality of the songs make this a treat to the ears.
Kelly has said that it was around this time that he discovered God. God really must have inspired him, as it is far greater than his previous work (although 12 Play is a classic).
Just about the best ballad Kelly ever wrote ("I Can't Sleep Baby (If I) is probably the best song on the album, followed closely by the mid tempo "Thank God It's Friday". The multi-octave style of Marvin Gaye can be seen used here. It is a pity Kelly doesn't use it anymore.
If you are just getting into his work and are not going for the more hardcore elements of "Best of Both Worlds", get this album as it will really open the door to what tis guy is trying to say.
on June 21, 2005
R. Kelly has Been getting into a lot of BS and making stupit decisions that's been hurting his carrer, which is the R. Kelly people talk about today. During the release of this album, which was in 1995 he wasn't in much trouble with the law, but forget about his personal life, you can't doubt the kind of talent this man has, Im talking singing, producing, and writing your own music which is amazing.

This is R. Kelly's 3rd studio album and his best till that date, thats right you thought 12 play was a classic just wait till you hear this album. "R. Kelly" is more mature than his preivous works, this album is emotional, religious and romantic.

Let's do a little review on the songs. R. Kelly starts off the album unexpectedley with a Sermon, he preaches emotionaly for over 3 minutes. The album begins fast with a couple smooth jams, "Hump Bounce" and "Not Gonna Hold On". "You Remind Me Of Something" is probally the most ranchy song on the album and one of his best. The album starts to slow down a little with two romantic ballads, "Step Into My Room" and "Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby". The guest apperances on the album comes, "(You To Be) Happy" featuring Notorious BIG and R. Kelly's collabo with Ronald Isley "Down Low (Nobody Has To Know)" which is the best song on the album in my opinion. "Cant Sleep Baby (If I)" is really emotional, some think its R. Kelly best song ever written. "Thanks God It's Friday" is a really smooth steping club jam, similar to "Step In The Name Of Love" of "Chocolate Factory". "Love Is On The Way" is another tight club banger. This is were the album really starts to slow down a little bit religiously and romanticly. Followed by the skit "Heaven If You Hear Me", "Religious Love" mixes romantic love and gospel together, I love the chorus I cant stop singing it. "Tempo Slow" is VERY, VERY, VERY slow, these are the type of love makeing lyrics that make lots things go down in a bedroom, in addition its my best balled in the album. Followed by the emotional skit "As I Look Into My Life", R. Kelly finished off the album with the powerful gospel "Trade In My Life" similar to "I Believe I Can Fly" of "R.", both are hands down the best gospels he ever written.

Overall this is a classic in any means, and I think anybody would agree with me who owns this album its one of his best. I would recommend this album over "TP-2.com" which is his true masterpiece in my opinion and "Chocolate Factory" which is his best romanticly.
on October 9, 1999
while i like 12 play better r came back strong.down low was a great track thank god is friday was cool cut as is the cut with big.as writter,arranger,producer,instrumentalist he continues to progress and will be a force for a long long time.
on November 17, 2014
Wonderful CD ... so glad I found it. had a casette back in the day.. been looking for the cd at a reasonable price.. found it here.. always find what I need on amazon i LOVE old school.. so glad I found it.. R Kelly should do some more of this type singing...