4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly entertaining movie
Published on September 8, 2007 by Jeremy

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
An average "B" grade movie. Not great acting and not a great story line. We wanted a "scary" movie to watch, but not too scary for my 8 year old, and this one filled the bill. Quite appropriate for younger audiences (no bad language, violence or the like).
Published 21 months ago by Bikeler

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly entertaining movie, September 8, 2007
Jeremy (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I used to be a huge fan of R.L. Stine, but as I got older, I realized that his books were pretty stupid. When I heard about The Haunting Hour, I decided to give it a shot since it had a great cast. My expectations were low, but the movie proved to make for an exciting two hours. Emily Osment is a great actress and was able to play a very different character from her role on Hannah Montana. The rest of the cast were pretty good too, with the exception of the little brother and parents who I felt were a bit annoying. The plot isn't that different from a typical Goosebumps books, but the great characters, amazing soundtrack and snappy writing make it special.

Either R.L. Stine is really improving as a writer, or he wasn't involved in the movie that much. The only problem I really had was the last few minutes, which felt like a typical, stupid ending you'd find in Goosebumps. All that aside, this is a very interesting movie that even managed to creep me out a bit. Give us a Volume 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kids/Teen Flick, November 10, 2009
David Ehrman (Studio City, California USA) - See all my reviews
My kids and I were channel surfing this past Halloween week and came upon this movie. When my daughter, who is a huge Hannah Montana fan, saw Emily Osment was in the film she demanded we watch. My 14 year old son was not thrilled with the idea, but 15 minutes into the movie we were hooked- including myself! It spoke to an 11 year old a 14 year old and an adult. It's a great family flick- perfect for Halloween! I highly recommend this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Kids, November 10, 2009
This movie was great for my kids over Halloween weekend. They normally don't like scary movies, especially my youngest, but they were both thoroughly entertained and spooked. My youngest daughter asked me to buy the film 'so we could watch it every year'. I am glad to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars a new family tradition, December 31, 2009
I bought this movie for my niece this Christmas. She loves scary movies. We all watched it together as a family on the 26th and a new boxing day tradition was born! My niece felt so special that the whole family enjoyed her movie. I remember loving RL Stine when I was about her age and wishing that my parents read the books too. It was so gratifying to watch my mother and sister munching out of a big Christmas tin of flavored popcorn and being so absorbed in this thrilling film!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for New Halloween Movies and Specials!, September 25, 2010
Monty Moonlight (Austin, TX, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
R.L. Stine's "The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It", is a 2007 direct-to-video movie (which also aired on Cartoon Network as primetime Halloween programming) about a 13 year old goth girl named Cassie who is mad at the world for no visible reason other than having apparently zero friends at school. Of course, that could be due to the fact that she dresses like she might put a hex on you if you tick her off. She does get tormented by one student, the super popular, super beautiful Priscilla, but whether or not this is a daily problem or the result of Cassie's attempt to buddy up with the guy Priscilla wants to go out with is unknown. Anyway, after a bad lunchroom scene and even worse Halloween Dance revenge, things get heated between Priscilla and Cassie, and the object of their desires, sweet but not so bright school heartthrob Sean, is caught in the middle. Enter "The Evil Thing", a book Cassie buys at an odd curiosity shop that pops up out of nowhere just long enough to make the one sale. Within the locked pages of what reads like a children's book is something that amounts to a conjuring spell, summoning an evil creature when read aloud that begins hunting down people around Cassie one by one. Luckily, they are just stored away for the creatures soon to be hatched babies, but it's soon up to Cassie to rescue the captured victims on Halloween night if she wants them to live to see November!

I have to give props to R.L. Stine and the makers of this fun little direct to video movie. Sure, the characters are all stereotypical, and yeah, there's a shameless Papa John's plug (it is NOT as bad as everyone says, and it wouldn't have phased anyone if it was a made-up pizza brand used; why be scared of realism?), and the evil book itself reads so silly that, well, that you're reminded of how corny Goosebumps and similar shows often were. And, frankly, it's hard to like the heroine here, as she is kind of a little witch half the time for no good reason. Her brother IS super annoying though. But, regardless of my occasional desire to side with the "mean girl" in this one, largely because that actress is a hottie hot hottie (don't jump on my head, she IS 20 now, and she was in her later teens when she made this), and all that other stuff I mentioned before, this is a fun, enjoyable movie that has more bite to it than any of the other Stine stuff I've tried out. It's actually a scary movie for kids, which is nice and different, and it's entertaining for all ages if you are young at heart and LOVE Halloween. Personally, I don't think there are enough movies that feature the joyful traditions of Halloween, from trick or treating to parties and so on, so the more the merrier. I look forward to making this one at least an annual viewing and recommend you at least give it a try if you like Halloween-themed movies and specials or R.L. Stine. This is among the better ones in both categories.

The DVD is available in widescreen or fullscreen (don't get fullscreen, come on), so watch which one you pick up, and there are 4 bonus features that are pretty good mostly. Yeah, interesting thing to note: The back of the DVD lists 3 of the Bonus Features, then says, "And More!", but as is usually the case, there is only one more, ha. Anyway, those features are a Making Of featurette, an Emily Osment (who plays Cassie) music video (in which we see her how we're more used to seeing her, the total opposite of her character, ha), an entertaining bravery profile game called "Scare-O-Meter", and a pretty good little interview with R.L. Stine. The various bonus features include interviews with the main stars, of course, Emily Osment (Cassie), Cody Linley (Sean), and the lovely Brittany Elizabeth Curran (Priscilla). Saw's Tobin Bell also stars as the mysterious shopkeeper. Great family viewing for something scary but family friendly on Halloween. Also recommended for Halloween viewing, some family friendly, some not, are the following: "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", "Garfield's Halloween Adventure", the Scary Godmother specials, "Sleepy Hollow", "Ichabod and Mr. Toad", Hallmark's "Legend of Sleepy Hollow", "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman", "Spaced Invaders", "The Witches", "The Worst Witch", the Harry Potter series, "Mickey's House of Villains", the "Halloween" film series, "Trick `r Treat", and, if you can find them, "The Halloween That Almost Wasn't" (AKA The Night Dracula Saved the World), "Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Pumpkin That Couldn't Smile", "Halloween with the Addams Family", and "The Midnight Hour". Of course, there ARE others...

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, scary... a must see!, December 31, 2009
E. Godfrey (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This movie is so much fun -- entertaining and scary. The cast is phenomenal! It's thrilling to watch and fun for the whole family. I watched it with my cousins who are all different ages, and this was the only movie that we could all agree on watching... and everyone loved it! I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, except for one little thing, October 27, 2009
I bought this item to show at our yearly "Horrorfest" for the grandkids and their friends. The movie was well-made with good productions values (not so true with some of the other R. L. Stine movies). The kids liked it and it has some pretty good scares in it. The only problem I had... and I admit it's minor when compared to the rest of the movie... are the breaks in the story to have the lead character walking down the street being introspective with the musical accompaniment; you know... a music video insert. They only last about a half a minute, but they're annoying. Thankfully, most directors are finally getting away from these little time-wasters.

Other than that, I recommend this movie for the intended age group. It's not "SAW" (although Saw fans will get a little kick of recognition when they watch it), but for its intended audience, it dishes out some good fright.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Think About It, September 7, 2012
I grew up on the original Fear Street and Goosebumps books. I've also been collecting the Goosebumps DVDs over the years, so naturally I bought R.L. Stine's Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It when it first came out in 2007. It is loosely based on The Haunting Hour anthology by R.L. Stine.

A goth teenager Cassie (played by Emily Osment)is having a hard time fitting into her new school, so she plays pranks on her fellow students and even on her younger brother, Max. She stumbles upon a strange Halloween store owned by a even stranger man (played by Saw's Tobin Bell). She finds an old book called The Evil Thing.

She read the book to her brother before he went to bed, even thought the book has a warning - "Do Not Read Aloud." A creature from the beyond causes chaos on Halloween Night and Max goes missing. It is up Cassie along with a few new friends to stop the creature and save her brother.

I was surprised that the movie was actually scary, despite some low-budget creature effects toward the end of the movie. The acting was decent, especially from Tobin Bell who's voice set the mood for the creepy story. This is a great movie to watch with your family around Halloween.

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN FOR EVEN OLDER KIDS, August 9, 2010
I REALLY liked this movie. I'm in my 40s and even enjoyed it! Pull this one out at Halloween!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Haunting Hour, June 29, 2010
This is great for all ages...well over 10 probably.... gets you in the mood for Halloween.... actually has a good message.... Very entertaining! Must see! I watch it over and over! There may be some bad acting but for a younger movie it's great.

R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It (Widescreen Edition)
$12.98 $4.99