Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: R and M Silicone Pastry Mat
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on September 11, 2010
This mat is what I should have gotten long ago! While I love to bake, I don't personally find rolling pie crusts "easy as pie!" I was rolling out crusts between two sheets of floured wax paper and then holding the pie plate over the crust trying to eyeball whether or not the crust was large enough. The measurement indicators on the mat are hugely helpful (no more eyeballing for me, what a pain that was!). This mat size is more than large enough to meet my baking needs, the silicone is thick enough to withstand the years of wear I plan to put it through, and it does not slip when laid out on the counter. While there were a few creases in the mat from how it was packaged, they came out easily enough after I washed it in hot, soapy water, let it air dry and then rolled sleeping bag style with a spare kitchen towel in the center to make sure it stayed dry while stored and didn't stick to itself.
on February 16, 2007
We live in a rental house in Germany, and the kitchen is really bad. There is only an 18 inch square counter space to prepare food and to stack the dirty dishes. I sure didn't want to use this area to roll out dough, and I sure didn't want to use the surface of my dining table, either. This silicone mat was the answer to this. The pastry mat cleans easily, and the water just shakes off it. It is much more hygenic to use this than any thing else, it stays in place, and folds easily for storage. This is one of my favorite kitchen tools now!
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2010
If my house were on fire, one of the first items I would grab to take out with me is my silicone pastry mat! It is wonderful! I love using it for pie crust, cookies, or any kind of dough that needs to be rolled out. It revolutionizes the process and makes it simple and foolproof! Great product! I especially like the generous size of this mat. Most other ones I looked at were much smaller. This one is large enough to roll out crusts for a large chicken pot pie in eiether a round or rectangular pan or for a very large pizza.
on January 17, 2012
I have a good recipe for sugar cookies that, unfortunately, makes a very sticky dough even after being refrigerated. As a result, every year I have to get a pastry cloth, flour it up, and attach it somehow to a board. I bought this mat hoping to avoid all of those issues. No such luck: the sugar cookie dough stuck to the mat immediately even after I floured the mat generously. I was able to unstick it without too much problem, but it definitely was not an appetizing-looking cookie shape. Had to get out my old board and pastry cloth, flour up, and move on.

The good news, however, is that the mat makes a terrific surface for kneading bread, and I'm able to use less flour for that than I do when I use my bread board. Furthermore, it doesn't move around once I lay it out flat, and clean-up is really easy: shake it off in the trash can, run it through warm soapy water in the sink, rinse it off, and wipe it with a towel. I don't know how durable it will be, but I'll get lots of use out of it for as long as it lasts!

I had no problem with the initial folds: ran hot water on it, dried it, then rolled it up with a towel as recommended by one of the other reviewers. Before I use it, I rinse it off in warm water, dry it, then pat it out flat. It is big though -- be sure to compare its measurements against your available space.
on March 11, 2010
I make homemade pies, and this mat is perfect to size the crusts correctly and contains the flour mess too! The mat doesn't move around when I'm rolling and makes the crust easier to lift as well. Definitely a keeper!
on March 31, 2010
I have had several pastry mats but this is by far the best one. Large enough for even the biggest pizzas, easy to clean and stays put while you are using it. I love it.
on December 25, 2010
I bought this pastry mat (after reading the positive reviews) in preparation for my holiday cookie baking. I have always used the old tupperware plastic pastry mat complaining about it every year and swearing I would get a new one before the next holiday season. Finally I did. I found that the silicone mat stayed put on the counter and did not move-very nice! My cookie dough rolled out well but I needed to use more flour on the mat than what I was used to using. It's a little sticky. The instruction state not to cut on the mat but I used a knife (gently) without any problems. If you are a pie baker this mat works well too for your crust. It washes clean really quick and easy.
on May 30, 2010
I love this pastry mat. It is heavy enough that it lays on the counter through kneading process (biscuits, I haven't made bread on it yet). I tried smaller amount of flour than on pastry cloths I've been using for 45 years, but ended up using same amount. Haven't rolled out pastry on it, yet, but expect it will be good.
on December 13, 2013
I haven't used it extensively yet so I don't know how it will hold up, but I like the large size and the quality. Even though it arrived folded, there were no creases like some of the other mats that people reviewed. It stays nicely on the countertop, doesn't shift around.
I haven't really used the measurements on it yet, but I'm sure I will when I roll out pie crust. I'm very pleased at the quality . I was a bit nervous since it's made in China and I worry about chemicals in their products. Guess there's no way to know that anyway. I would recommend it.
on April 21, 2014
I had an old Tupperware mat that eventually delaminated (it was only 10 years old!). This one folds up for better storage, although I roll mine & tuck it in an old paper towel tube - it's probably fine, but I don't want to take a chance with a crease. I use a tiny bit of flour & pie crust doesn't stick at all. The grid and circular markings are also very helpful.