4.0 out of 5 stars I have 8 bikes hanging...
Theres a lot of reviews on these things, so, these are my FAQ answered.

Are they perfect? No.
Does the rope kinda suck? Yes.
Does the rope have a weird tint that sticks to your hands? Yes.
Do the little rubber things at the end of the hoist bother you when they move? Yes.

Do you use them a lot? yes.
What does a lot mean? I use...
Published 18 months ago by inabon

3.0 out of 5 stars Space problems not completely solved.
Published on April 3, 2011 by Bubba

4.0 out of 5 stars I have 8 bikes hanging..., May 8, 2013
inabon (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RAD Cycle Products Bike Lift Hoist Garage Mountain Bicycle Hoist 100LB Capacity (2-Pack) (Sports)
Theres a lot of reviews on these things, so, these are my FAQ answered.

Are they perfect? No.
Does the rope kinda suck? Yes.
Does the rope have a weird tint that sticks to your hands? Yes.

Do you use them a lot? yes.
What does a lot mean? I use them daily on at least one of the bikes.
Have they ever failed on you? No.
Would you buy them again? Yes.

Bottomline, they work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can park my car in the garage again., December 22, 2010
Christopher Miller (Slingerlands, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I just installed these bike hoists and they work great. I can store my bikes for the Winter and have room for my car again. I have a high ceiling in my garage and I didn't want to hang the bikes from hooks. That would have been awkward and most likely an accident waiting to happen.

The mechanism is sturdy and simple to operate. The hooks can be adjusted a little bit, that made it easy to get a good grip on each bike. Once everything was in place, it was easy to raise and lower the bikes. It does feel a little strange to park my car under two bikes that appear to be floating in mid air. The rope is nice and thick, the cheaper models sold elsewhere use a thinner rope and people reported that the thin rope has a tendency to slip off the pulleys. That is not a problem with this hoist.

I did not use the screws that shipped with the package. They looked a little fragile. I had a box of long wood screws so I was able to mount to the ceiling joists. The screws were long enough go through the drywall and into the joists, I did not use a two-by-four as suggested in the manual.

I read in a few reviews that some people had received frayed ropes, I did not have that problem. Everything arrived in perfect condition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Space problems not completely solved., April 3, 2011
Unless you have really high ceilings, the bike will not hang that high off the ground where you can walk under it. Measure the height of your bike and add about another foot. Then minus that from your ceiling height. That is how much clearance you will have under the bike after the bike is hoisted up. It will be enough to clear the hood of a sedan parked in your garage but not an suv. The hooks that hook onto your bikes handlebars and seat are not that well designed to make them real secure in my opinion. So I wouldn't recommend it hanging above or near a vehicle. If you hang it close to a wall then you have to account for how far your handle bars extend outwards. And keep in mind the mounts have to be attached to hard points in your ceiling framing or you have to improvise.

So placement and mounting have to be considered first before purchasing to see if you have a place for it. The bike will not be high enough (for the average garage) where you can walk under it or safely duck under it because if you bump into it, the bike might be knocked off it's hooks. Wouldn't be a bad idea to use a couple of straps for safety. Take into account what you store under it also. You don't want to place something that is heavy or awkard to move out of the way each time you take the bike down or put it back up. Maybe something easy like a lawn mower or garbage can would be okay.

Most of these hoists seem to be built of the same quailty and design wise as far as I can tell. Probably comes from the same factory and repackaged for different vendors. Would recommend to periodically check the whole system for wear and tear. It's not built heavy duty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect hoisting solution for my situation., August 13, 2011
I was looking for bike storage solutions to get our 4 bikes off the garage floor. At first, I considered stands but rejected this approach because it made it difficult for the other members of my family to access the bikes stored at the top. I researched all the bike hoists and settled on this one. Although it was considerably more expensive than the separates that can be found, I like that this product was a single-piece track that incorporated the pulleys for handle bars and saddle in one assembly. I did not want to deal with the measurement and alignment of separate pieces. I also liked the aesthetics of the aluminum track which can be screwed into the ceiling joists without having to mount it to a 2x4 or other platform before attaching it to the ceiling. I also did not want to sacrifice wall space since I need it for shelving.

I installed four of these in my garage today and absolutely love the outcome! I have to say upfront that I am pretty handy and good with power tools. I thought the instructions were pretty clear although the threading for the locking mechanism could have been more detailed. I guessed and got it right away (coming off the second pulley, thread the rope UNDER the little bar and then through the hole of the locking mechanism). Installation was pretty straightforward. First, I selected the desired location and ensured that I had a stud to drill into using my stud finder. My approach was to assemble the entire track (orange end cap -> O-hook -> arrest - > single pulley -> arrest -> arrest -> double pulley - arrest -> range end cap) and then mark the five drill holes on the ceiling. I kept the individual pieces loose in the track in order to be able to move them to mark, drill and then screw the entire track to the ceiling. As mentioned in previous reviews, the included hardware is less than ideal. I would recommend investing in something higher-quality and buy a pack of screws from your local hardware store. Included are 10 x 2 screws with a bulbous head that is pretty soft and prone to stripping. The included screws prevent the sliding of the pulleys because they stick out of the track. I opted to use 8 x 1 3/4 flathead wood screws that I have in my tool box which worked much better for my approach. I would also recommend drilling pilot holes, especially when using longer screws such as the ones included. The threading of the rope is depicted in the instructions and should not present much of a challenge.

The installation of the first assembly took me a bit more than an hour, #2 and #3 about 40 minutes and the last bike was up at the ceiling in about 25 minutes. Before I pulled up the bikes, I fixed the single pulley in the track. I fixed the second pulley once the bike was up so I could see where it needed to be located. The lifting requires a bit of force but is well within the capabilities of my 10-year old. The lowering of the bike is also easy, although it may require a bit of positioning to get the locking mechanism to unlock. Speaking of which, the locking mechanism is rock solid and should hold even an adult mountain bike in place if threaded correctly. I still installed the cleats for the slack rope for safety reasons. The rope is of good quality and more than long enough. I have a 10 ft ceiling in the garage and the rope has about 2 ft to spare with both pulleys on the ground. I just left it alone but for lower ceilings it may be appriate to cut the rope. Beware the physics of pulleys - measure twice and cut once to ensure adequate length.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic product. The integration of the pulleys in a single track make installation easier. I also find it more aesthetically pleasing. In my opion, it warrants the higher price point compared to the separates and I highly recommend it for its design and overall quality of materials and workmanship.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent hoist, upgraded attachment points a must, December 3, 2013
I do like this product for the price, but it needs much better holding equipment. After having my mountain bike fall from about 5' off the ground on it's second hoist up, since it doesn't always hoist evenly depending on the weight distribution, I had to have a fix. The design is so insecure that I can't believe I am so dumb to hoist my bike with it. I used $1-2 caribiners from HD to attach the the back seat (another reviewers suggestion), and $4-$5 velcro straps to attach the handle bars to the hooks. I have attached pictures to show what I did and how I did the attachments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, two problems easily remedied, November 21, 2010
I discarded the screws that came with the hoists - too soft and the heads stripped easily - and I am not pleased with the shape of the hooks as provided. I did find solutions, however.
I bought the double pack to hang two Trident Recumbent Tricycles from my garage ceiling, which is just joists. Instructions for unfinished ceilings were very clear and useful. The screws that came with the hoists were the softest screws I have ever encountered and I stripped about 4 heads before discarding them for star drive screws, which worked much better. I also didn't have to pre-drill holes for the star screws, which saved time. I found the instructions to be clear, threading the rope was easy, hoisting was easy, the lock works like a dream. However, the hooks that hold the bike in the air do not work well for my trikes, and I would not recommend them for a bicycle either. The hooks are 'L' shaped rather than curved to cradle your bike. One trike slipped off the 'L' hooks on the first lowering and dropped about 6 feet to the concrete floor so now I have some major damage to that trike. My solution was to wrap velcro straps around the trike frame and the hooks to hold the trike on the 'L' hooks. The velcro keeps the trikes on the hooks nicely. I also wrapped short bungee cords around the frame and hooked them through a convenient hole above each of the hooks. This is a backup safety in case the trike would slip off the 'L' hook again in spite of the velcro. I believe a standard bicycle could slip off the 'L' hooks, so I would highly recommend something similar to what I did to prevent that. Now the trikes lower fairly easily with a little practice (they are not as easy to balance as a bicycle - partly why it fell off the hook that first time) and I am pleased with the result.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, April 25, 2013
Easy to set up not the easiest to use.

The rope I received was fine. It would probably be a little smoother with a nylon rope similar to marine rope. I measured out the distance on my rafters and screwed them in. The screws they provided were crap. They were so soft it was difficult to screw them in and not strip them, and I am not an amateur by any means. I recommend picking up some different screws. However, I did manage to get them all screwed in and tight. Threaded the rope and tested it out.

They don't provide enough confidence in my mind to just yank on the rope to pull the bike up. I prefer to help the bike up while pulling the rope. This was much easier than just yanking and will help the screws not wiggle around. My ceiling is probably 12-13 feet and it was long enough to reach the bike.

Don't listen to the instruction when it tells you to thread the whole thing before mounting. Just thread the rope end in the bracket and tie it off like it says. You can thread the rest afterwards. This makes it much easier to actually mount the brackets as you don't have all this extra weight hanging off while trying to hold a bracket, screw and drill all at the same time.

Tips:

Help the bike up, makes it easier to pull.

Don't thread the rope through the hole in the brake. It make it almost impossible to actually lower the bike. Instead thread it over the smaller hinged bracket than down through the large hinge bracket. Brake still works but it makes it actually usable.

Buy better screws.

Use washers to prevent the screw heads from pulling through the bracket. I think I used a 3/16 fender washer if I remember correctly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rope is too thick, June 19, 2011
I purchased two of the RAD bike hoists after installing five of the Racor hoists. The rope on the RAD hoists is far too thick. The mechanism gets jammed each time I try to lower one of the bikes. I will have to replace the ropes to make the hoists usable. The Racor is far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and a great price for a 2 Pack. Get it!, October 28, 2013
Directions were easy to follow. The other reviews here on amazon were helpful. Here are my tips/thoughts for you.

1. Use a 2x4 or a 2x6 to mount the pulleys to. (Get a 10 footer at a hardware store and most places will cut in half for you if you don't have a saw)

2. Throw the bags of screws they give you in the trash. They are terrible and you'll strip them before they are sunk into the wood. Get some deck screws while you are picking up your wood. Also get some lag bolts and washers to mount the 2x4 or 2x6 sections on to the joists.

3. Run the lines through the hooks and the pulleys before you mount it on the ceiling before you mount it. Tie the knot in the end of the front bracket before you mount it to the 2x4 or 2x6. I had to undo mine before I realized this would be easier if done before hand.

4. The nylon line included is super long. With the bike down give yourself a foot or two to use to pull the bike up and cut the rest off. Use a lighter to melt the end of the line where you cut it to prevent it from unraveling itself.

5. The hooks work fine and I did not need to bend mine at all. Just measure the distance between your handlebars and the back of your seat as the instructions indicate and you'll be fine. I can swing my bikes while they are mounted and they are not coming down.

6. The line brake works great but people are right I could see myself replacing the lines after a few years use.

7. The system is easy enough that my mother in law had no problems raising and lowering the bikes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper Than Cheap, April 1, 2014
If you are unfortunate enough to have been suckered into purchasing this product based off of other reviews then we are in the same boat. If you have not purchased this product I suggest you DO NOT buy it. If you do end up buying it make sure you use your own screws and not the ones that this product comes with. My drill was set to half the normal torque and every single one of the screws that came with this product stripped when I drilled them up into the ceiling. I imagine now the only way I am getting these down is if I pry them off with a hammer which most likely will rip a bunch of my ceiling out. I bought two of these for two bikes that I have. After getting them both installed I was ready to hang both my bikes. I got the first one in place and began to pull it up but only one end started lifting off the ground. It did not raise evenly and once my bike was about 5 feet off the ground one of the hooks came off where I had placed it and my bike came crashing down. I tried one more time with no success. I then tried the second one and had the same issue with only one side going up when I pulled on the rope. Taking a quick glance at the contents of this pulley system I realized I could have built this myself for a quarter of the price and triple the quality. I don't think I can even return this product because it is stuck on my garage ceiling with 14 stripped screws holding them up. Total waste of my time and money and I hope you don't make the same mistake.