5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent job for temp controlling

Published on April 3, 2010 by Nick Millichamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent job for temp controlling, September 10, 2009
Mr. Brewster (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I have the Johnson Controls analog controller that I use to control beer fermenting temperatures on a chest freezer. I upgraded to the Ranco ETC Digital and it is much, much better. The analog has a +-3 degree range as the Ranco has remained pretty stable at +-1 degree. As many home brewers know maintaining a constant fermentation temperature is key to having a great end product. I'd highly recommend spending the few extra dollars for the Ranco vs. the Johnson Controls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, easy to wire, May 19, 2010
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I have a refrigerator that broke in such a way that the compressor never cycled off. It froze everything I put in it. I bought this temp controller and wired it with a plug and an outlet and now my fridge works better than ever. This thing saved me some bucks from not having to buy a new fridge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money spent, September 22, 2010
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
This is my 3rd temp controller. First one went on my 500lb capacity smoker, 2nd went on my dehydrator, and now this one is on my beer kegerator. All 3 work flawless, are reliable, dependable, and accurate. Not to mention reasonably priced. Can't go wrong and you will not regret it once you have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for seed flats, January 30, 2012
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
This thing works great. I'm using it to control the temperature of the heat pads under my seed flats for starting veggie seeds for the garden. I set it to 75 degrees with a 6 degree variance, put the sensor under between the heat pad and the seed flat, and it comes on at 69 and goes off at 75. Perfect! I'm sure I will find plenty more uses for this after all the transplanting is done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Home Brewers: Works Great for Heating OR Cooling (just not both at the same time), January 18, 2013
G. Mesick (Federal Way, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
While the product is labeled as "Cold Temperature Control," this single stage unit can be switched back and forth to control either heating or cooling. This would not be ideal for an HVAC system in a building (you'd want a 2 stage unit), but it adds versatility to its use in home brewing beer.

In the summer, I use this to control an extra refrigerator, so that the fridge kicks on whenever my fermenting beer starts getting too warm. When taped to the side of the fermentor, I can set it at plus or minus one degree. It doesn't cycle on and off too much, since it takes time for that much liquid to change temperature even that small amount.

Then in the winter, I set the fermentor in my cold garage, wrapped in a "fermwrap" heating blanket. Again, I tape the probe to the side of the fermentor, plug the fermwrap into it, and the heater keeps the beer at fermentation temperature--cutting on and off as required.

Some brewers build a single chamber with both a heating element (like an incandescent light) and a cooling element (the fridge itself). If that is your intention, you would want to buy a 2 stage unit, to control them both. But in my case, I vary my use of this with the calendar. In the winter, I need to heat my fermentor. In the summer, I cool it.

And I have used this device constantly for ten years without any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal, but there are no plugs., March 4, 2011
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I have two of these and they are great. They do heating and cooling unlike what it says on the site. Also the probe is replaceable so you can own this unit for a long time. I had some spare plugs so I wired it myself with no problem, but if you are unfamiliar with electrical work you may want to find one for sale that is already wired and ready to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars ExhaustedSpark, May 21, 2011
Amazon Customer (SPRINGDALE, WASHINGTON, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I use this to control my smoker temp for making sausage. I never want the heat above 170* and this does that nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Intended, April 28, 2011
Trevor M (BOZEMAN, MT, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I purchased two of these. One for my Keggerator which is an old 1940 GE Kelvinator fridge. It always got too cold and the freezer would freeze up, which is the only cooling source. No matter what I set the dial to, it got too cold. This solved my issue and keeps my kegerator at a constant temp. The other is for a lagering fridge. Again, does exactly what I need it to do. Keeps my lagering fridge at exactly 50 degrees and stays within a one degree range. This is the cadilac of temp controllers. Wiring it up was super easy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Error messages a problem, April 3, 2010
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I have now had three of these thermostats fail over a 2 year period. Each time an E2 error message appears (which according to the manual and information from a vendor indicates an error in the settings stored in memory or a failure of the controller memory functions). There does not appear to be a fix other than to replace the controller. Rather frustrating since I have used these in accordance with the product instructions and been careful to avoid temperature extremes which might damage the thermaostat. Time to look for another manufacturer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Requires wiring installation, January 2, 2011
This review is from: RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW
I want to contrast this Ranco ETC-111000 with the Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat.

WIRING PROJECT
This Ranco can only be installed by someone familiar with electrical wiring.
It does not come with any power input cord or any plug socket to get power out.
I cut an extension cord in two and wired the two cut ends through a cable clamp to the Ranco. So I had a plug to plug into the wall and a socket to plug my heater into. But if you're not familiar with the hot, neutral, and ground wires of a power cord, you should not attempt it. Also, it took me an hour to connect the cords. If you are familiar with electrical wiring, the wiring diagram is clear.
I found the ETC-111000-000W on the internet that is prewired with a plug and socket.

The Lux is ready to plug into the wall right out of the box.

TEMPERATURE RANGE
The Ranco's temperature set point range is -30F to 220F.
Settable differential range 1F to 30F.

The Lux temperature set point range is 45F to 90F.
Differential/swing default is 1F. Can be set from 1F to 9F.

TIME FUNCTIONS
The Ranco has no time functions. I tested for a delay in cool mode between turn off and turn on so the pressure on the AC compressor can go down. After the Ranco turned off, I got it to turn on again in 13 seconds by warming the probe in my hand.

The Lux can have 4 different temperature settings each day, and the weekends can be different than the weekdays. Or, it can be set to one temperature all the time.
The Lux waits 2 minutes on cool between turn off and turn on so the pressure on the AC compressor can go down.

REMOTE TEMPERATURE PROBE
The Ranco comes with an 8ft cable on the probe which can be lengthened to 400ft by splicing in more cable.

The Lux comes with a 1 inch cable on the probe.

VOLTAGE
The Ranco works on 120 or 208/240 volts.

The Lux works on 120 volts with a max load of 15 amps.

IN CASE OF ERROR
I want to illustrate the danger if a mistake is made in setting the heat/cool mode or if someone plays with the settings.

I put 2 100w light bulbs in the lower oven drawer of my oven.
I set the Ranco to 75F. Then I made one error: I set the Ranco to cool.
It heated up to 175F. I wanted to see what happens at the Ranco limit of 220F, so I boosted the heat with the oven's heater. When the temperature passed 220F, the Ranco turned off and displayed "EP". As the temperature dropped, the Ranco displayed 220 and turned on again.
The power strip that I plugged the two 100w lights into was warped by the heat and can't be used anymore.
Ranco has addressed this problem by providing a keypad lockout switch inside the enclosure. When in locked position, the keypad is disabled.
Also, Ranco warns:
"All ETC series controls are designed as operating controls only. If an operating control failure could result in personal injury or loss of property, a separate safety control and/or alarm should be installed."

I did the same test with the Lux using the Ranco probe to read the temperature because the entire Lux device was in the oven. I stopped the test at 115F. The Lux displayed "HI" but was still supplying power to the light bulbs.

I have no children or anyone in my house who would touch these thermostats. If I connect them to a heater, I use the low power range and use the thermostat on the heater as a backup to prevent over heating. When I connect a thermostat, I watch it go through one on-off cycle to see if it is operating correctly.

Rate and Discover Movies