5.0 out of 5 stars This one really works well
Published on March 15, 2012 by Rosalie Mehrab

3.0 out of 5 stars One big flaw...
Ever since Hurricane Sandy, I've been glad I kept an old fashioned, corded telephone. It was the ONLY thing that worked after almost two weeks of no electricity! (Shame that so many friends and family members who had cordless or cell phones were totally out of power; I picked the phone up and there was a dial tone that worked! Thanks, Ma Bell!)

My old GE wall...
Published 18 months ago by Katy Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars This one really works well, March 15, 2012
Rosalie Mehrab "hamburgerologist" (Northport, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA 1104-1BKGA 1-Handset Landline Telephone (Office Product)
I purchased a similar phone by GE. The design of the phone was flawed in that when you put the phone to your ear, you pressed the switch-hook and disconnected the call. All I wanted the RCA phone to do was to have caller ID and not disconnect my calls. This phone works beautifully. The voice you hear is clear and the caller hears a clear voice as well. The ring is adjustable and the other features are easy to use. The slim-line design fits great on my night stand. All this and a great price too.

3.0 out of 5 stars One big flaw..., June 1, 2013
Katy Lake (The People's Republic of New Jersey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

My old GE wall phone had a problem with the caller ID. I couldn't get it to work, so I purchased this RCA number.

It's lightweight, much easier to replace batteries than the GE. It'd be fine except for one thing that isn't spelled out - there is NO dial tone if you don't put batteries in it.

I get that you need batteries for the Caller ID, but why would you need them just to get a dial tone? That's definitely not a plus, part. if you forget to replace them and another hurricane comes along!

The other thing is, that for all the batteries, the caller ID is VERY hard to see. It's almost as hard to read as the freaking directions; I'm going to sit down with a microscope and see if somewhere it's hidden how you can increase the contrast to make the Caller ID actually visible (if anyone knows, save me 7 hours and post it below.)

I'm keeping it, simply because there are so few wall phone choices and it was cheap enough. But it sure seems to kill the point of getting a wall phone if you need batteries just to make it work - and the dim Caller ID is a no-go, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars What we needed..., December 20, 2012
The contrast for the display can be adjusted. However the instructions should say press the "Options" button, not press the "menu" button. (There is no menu button.) After pressing the "Options" button, press the "Review" button until "Select Contrast" appears. Then press the "Options" button to show the current contrast setting. Then use the "Review" button to toggle up or down. The default setting is 3 and the greatest contrast is 5. Press "Options" to store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical and affordable, February 17, 2012
I was looking for a replacement corded phone for the bedroom. This one is sturdy and reasonably priced. The one issue that I have with it is that the caller ID screen is not backlit which I have found out is a bit of a problem when you are trying to figure out who is calling late at night without having to turn on the lights before answering. Not a defect, I probably should have read the specs more closely.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, worth the purchase, February 11, 2013
LGR (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
For the price, no complaints about this phone. It does what it is supposed to--displays Caller ID, rings loudly, and provides crisp, clear reception. The handset is a bit flat, which doesn't bother me, but could bother some people so I figured I'd point that out. It's a good phone though--wall-mounted easily and provides a clear sound. Yes, it does have volume controls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive quality caller ID phone, July 14, 2012
I purchased this phone to be wall mounted in my home workshop. The primary feature I was looking for was caller ID so I know the incoming call is for me and not my wife. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the phone. It is well made, mounts solidly to the wall, has a clear LCD display, and good sound quality. Good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone, April 12, 2013
I purchased this phone to do testing of Caller ID as part of the IT Consulting business. The description is a little misleading. Normal phone functions work correctly with the power from the phone line. But for Caller ID to function it requires the addition of three AAA batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok., July 19, 2012
I like it because it stays warm when power goes out and it sits very firmly within it's base/holder. Sound volume is good: can make ringer volume shut off which is nice because it's beside my bed. ONE bad thing: the hang-up button is right where one's hand goes so I've hung up on people. But I use it so infrequently it's ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars Usable but not outstanding, August 29, 2012
First I want to note that Amazon now sells this phone for $11.44 which is half the price that I paid Amazon for it. I agree with the other reviewers about the need to read the Caller ID under a light or otherwise you cannot see it. Another problem is that Caller ID comes on only if you let the phone ring twice. It would be more useful if only one ring were required. More disconcerting is that some of the instructions that came with the phone were obviously written for a different phone. It took me a while to apply the description of the interface to what is actually on the phone. Although this is probably unavoidble, the phone does not follow the code practices in my location. Wireless calls always need an area code; area codes adjacent to ours require the area code but not the "1" before them. This phone's caller ID does exactly the reverse.

Nevertheless this RCA is certainly useful. The sound quality is good,and punching in the numbers is easy. Anybody who buys it for less thatn 12 dollars would certainly be getting a bargain. I have found that expensive phones are just as likely to go bad as cheap ones, so try to pay as little as possible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work and poor text quality on caller id, December 8, 2013
EFD (River Vale, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Did not work - sound on receiver cut in and out. Other phones worked so it was not phone line. Also, text on caller ID very difficult to see, especially in low light. Do not recommend.

RCA 1104-1BKGA 1-Handset Landline Telephone