1,552 Reviews

Published on October 26, 2009 by Danny Creech

3.0 out of 5 stars 14 AWG should satisfy majority of installs
Published on November 4, 2011 by FredMR

3.0 out of 5 stars 14 AWG should satisfy majority of installs, November 4, 2011
As stated, this is not pure copper...it is copper clad aluminum (CCA). Cost is less, but that's because aluminum is cheaper and more resistive than copper. I work as an engineer for a power company. Lower voltage distribution power lines used to often be made from pure copper - however it is more cost effective to use aluminum or aluminum alloys... but since the resistance is greater for these wires, the wire gauge is increased - so you need thicker wires to accomplish the same thing...however this is more cost effective. Same theory applies here...it's not pure copper, so ideally - you should use bigger wire than what your application would require if pure copper was used.

General rule for 16 AWG wire is to keep runs at 48' or less. Most runs aren't that long, so 16 AWG will even satisfy most short wire installs... having said that, if you purchase the 14 AWG CCA wire - I'd imagine runs of wire up to 50' would be acceptable.

Some reasons to shop around include corrosion resistance found in oxygen free coppers.. The other issue is unlike my power industry example, this product isn't necessarily cost effective if you know where to shop...pure copper from bigger bargain sites (or even 12 AWG lamp cord from a local hardware store) are priced about the same as a roll of this 14 AWG wire sells for. So....having said that, you might as well purchase a better quality product given the same cost and a choice between the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars good speaker cable, October 26, 2009
Danny Creech "RetiredDan" (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am no pro but I can say that I can not tell the difference between this speaker cable and the more expensive stuff. I've been doing this sort of thing for many years and always used the more expensive cables but a friend, who is in the business, told me recently that copper wire is copper wire, no matter what company you buy it from and as long as the wire is shielded properly, why pay more? Made sense to me so I tried it and guess what? He was right! I don't have test devices to check OHM loss and all that stuff, only my ear and my ear tells me I can't tell the difference at any volume or range. Never too old to learn something new!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not be fooled by gauge alone!, June 18, 2012
If you're thinking this looks like a good buy for 14 gauge wire, be aware that this is copper-coated wire, not full braided copper! I would much rather direct you to Monoprice where you can get pure copper 12 guage wire for roughly the same price.

Do not buy this wire!

1.0 out of 5 stars May not be what you expect, June 30, 2012
RCA AH14100SN 100 Ft. 14-Gauge Speaker Wire Watch out.. It may not suit your needs. It is not copper wire so if you are installing it anywhere that will require bends it may end up breaking on you. The description does not say that it is aluminium wire.. In my case it was not even Copper Clad wire. Also it was not even 100 ft long (more about 60 ft). Description of item is lacking or quality is going down on the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it used to be., January 9, 2012
This review is from: RCA AH16100SR 100 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I have purchased this wire in the past for my home audio and it was fine. I just received a new shipment and it is no longer copper wire! It is now copper clad aluminum. Just to make sure I checked the old wire and it was copper last time I purchased it.

Amazon should clear all the old reviews as this is not the same product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wire is NOT Copper, March 3, 2012
Charles Wheeler (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
If you have done your planning around using 14 gauge wire per various articles and tech documents, you will not be installing what you think you are. Virtually all docs (and nearly every normal human) assume you will be using copper wire. This wire is aluminum with a thin copper coating. Sure, it's not marked "copper" on the packaging, but everyone assumes they are getting copper wire and the manufacturer should know that and mark the packaging "aluminum." If 14 gauge aluminum will work in your application, fine, then this wire is okay, but don't expect the performance of ordinary 14 gauge copper wire.

I'm giving it one star because I believe the manufacturer is trying to mislead us with copper-looking wire. I can imagine someone cutting this copper coated wire into several lengths, going to the trouble of soldering connectors, then realizing it's not up to spec. They'll then try to return the cut up wire and hear "but it doesn't say copper on the label and you already cut it." What garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 31, 2010
Dwayne Smith (Downtown Detroit, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA AH16100SR 100 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire (Electronics)
These wires worked great. One wire has a stripe on it so you can tell them apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product!, April 21, 2010
Aaron R. Morrison (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This is quality flat speaker wire. I was a little uncertain but the price was so good, and the picture wasn't very descriptive, but I thought I would risk it - and I am glad I did.

This is flat speaker wire made by RCA. It is 50 foot of 16 AWG, 100% oxygen free multi-stranded copper wire in a clear PVC jacket. One side is marked as positive. Mine came in sealed in RCA retail packaging.

The wire isn't thin like those micro-thin ribbon wires, but it is very thin - likely a millimeter or under. It looks to be the same size as the Acoustic Research PR361 Speaker Cable. I plan to use it under my living room carpet.

I can't comment on sound quality since I haven't used it, but I expect it would perform like any other decent 16 awg speaker wire.

I added some photos since it was hard for me to tell exactly what I was looking at from the original.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy real copper, March 21, 2011
This review is from: RCA AH16100SR 100 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire (Electronics)
Doing some renovation on an old home and needed to get a couple more wires run for my polk 7.1 home theater speakers before I started on the duct work....i unfortunately ran out of the good CL2 14 gauge copper wire I ordered from Amazon so I ran down to Slowes home improvement and grabbed the best looking roll of 14 gauge speaker wire I saw. I had to do a solder joint in one spot, while soldering I noticed the wire turned shiny silver. Turns out this is crap CCA wire, which stands for Copper Clad Aluminum. If you need to solder this stuff you are left with aluminum strands which are not nearly as good at conducing electricity when compared to copper. Im pulling all 100ft of this stuff out and replacing it. The sad part is I only spent pennies more on the foot for pure copper.

Ive heard to go down (up in cross sectional area) a gauge if you are set on using CCA...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wire, Great price, June 19, 2010
T. Sands (Mesquite, NV) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased 16 gauge RCA speaker wire through Amazon and connected my home theater speakers with it. The sound quality is great and the price was also. I would highly recommend this wire to those of you who want great sound for a great value...Thank you Amazon!!

RCA AH16100SR 100 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire