Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on January 3, 2009
This budget-priced indoor antenna unit does the job. I received all the local HD channels available in my area with minimal adjustments to the antenna positioning.

The coaxial cable is part of the unit and cannot be removed. The cable itself is rather skinny. That being said, the unit performs, flawlessly.

I have the unit placed behind my 42" plasma with the antenna extended and hidden from view. The location of my flatscreen is top-floor of a house and about five feet from the window. I also used this unit in my bedroom and it worked, flawlessly.

I think the location of your home (relative to the broadcast towers) and positioning of the unit is what matters. Not the brand or price of the indoor antenna unit.
33 comments167 of 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2013
Update: So I moved and I'm now about 15 miles away from the broadcast tower (vs. 5 miles) and I don't get as many channels as I used to, even when I use my own tips, but it's good enough for me since we're on a budget! I now receive about 85-90% of the channels I used to receive.

I posted 2 photos with notes of how I placed the antenna behind my tv, so if you're a visual person, I hope the photos help!

Short version:

1) Go to antennaweb dot org and plug in your address to see where your TV broadcast signals are coming from.

2) Place your RCA antenna unit facing those signals, hopefully in front of a window. Minimize "blocks" between the TV signals and your antenna such as water (aquarium), thick or multiple walls, etc.

3) Hook up RCA antenna unit to your TV (or digital TV converter box) and keep the antenna unit at least 2 feet away from your TV and other electronics. You may need to place the antenna unit up high, such as on a shelf.

4) Position the rabbit ears/ poles horizontally out in a straight line. You can also try tilting them slightly up or down, but keep them mainly horizontal.

5) Turn the fine tuning knob so that it is also in a straight line parallel to the rabbit ears/ poles. You may also need to adjust it one notch over one way or the other.

6) Keep UHF "O" Shaped Ring upright.

7) Do a "channel scan" with your HDTV (or digital TV converter box). You're all set!

Long version:

I've had this antenna for many years with my old tube tv and it worked so-so but the tube tv finally died and we just switched over to a flatscreen--yay! I set this antenna up behind my flatscreen on the tv stand and I got only about 40% of the major channels that I wanted. I tried moving the antenna closer to the window (still behind my tv and still on the tv stand), moving the rabbit ears (dipoles) up a little, down a little, pointing towards the tv signal broadcasting towers, turning the little dial around and around but nothing seemed to help me get all the channels! If I got one new channel then an old channel would drop out.

I was so frustrated and didn't want to keep repositioning everything every time I watched TV! I was about to buy the Terk HDTVa or the Mohu Leaf but thought I'd try to save some money and do some research on the internet to understand how antennas work and give my RCA one last shot.

I think the reason why the Mohu Leaf works so well is because you are supposed to place it away from your tv (and it's so easy to do so since you can attach it to a wall/ window easily).

Here's what I did to get 100% of the channels in my area:

1) I went to antennaweb dot org and typed in my address to see which direction the tv signals were coming from.

For me, many signals were about 5 miles away and they were mostly coming from the northeast.

My tv is in the northeast corner of the house.

2) The key is to set up the antenna away from the tv and keep as much interference away from the tv signals. I ended up putting a box on the floor behind my tv stand and placing the antenna on the box. My antenna is about 2 feet away from my tv and 1 foot behind my dvd player. (My dvd player is below my tv.)

It would be ideal to place the antenna in front of the window that is closest to the tv signals or high up (to minimize the number of obstructions between the antenna and the tv signals). I tried it low first just so the antenna would be hidden and I wouldn't have to deal with installing a shelf.

Pretend to draw a line between the tv tower (where the signals are coming from) and your antenna. Keep as many obstructions out of that line as possible (walls and water--like aquariums--which absorb signals) and keep some distance between your antenna and other electronics (tv, dvd player, computer, wifi, stereo) which can cause interference.

3) How to position the rabbit ears/ poles? I tried pointing the rabbit ears / poles up and pointing towards the signals--does not work well. I read that it's helpful to point the poles out horizontally. Ok, this may sound silly but hopefully this image will help you picture how to position your antenna. Face the direction of the tv signals and put your arms out horizontally as if you are trying to "catch" as many signals as you can. That is how you want to position those poles. I've read that you can also try pointing the poles slightly downwards. It all depends on your specific situation in terms of where your tv and antenna are placed. What I ended up doing is that one pole is straight horizontal and the other one is slightly pointed up towards the window that is closest to the tv signals. I didn't even need to extend the poles all the way out so that I could keep it hidden behind the tv.

4) Now what about that knob/ dial? Turn the knob so that it makes a "line" that is also perpendicular to the tv signals. So there should be a "line" going from one rabbit ear/ pole to the other pole.

5) The UHF "O" Ring shaped thingy (yeah, I'm technical like that!) should be straight up, not bent down. Imagine it being a dreamcatcher, trying to catch as many dreamy tv signals as possible.

6) Do a "channel scan" with your TV and you'll be all set!

A side note about my particular case: The tips above seemed to help me because most of my tv signals were close by and coming from one main direction, but of course it will be different for other situations when the tv signals are farther or coming from different directions.

Hope this helps!
review image review image
11 comment102 of 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2009
I just replaced a significantly more expensive Terk HDTVi indoor antenna with this simple and inexpensive RCA antenna. The Terk looked great, but had such a poorly designed base that it was nearly impossible to balance and position-I'll be sending that one back to Amazaon. I went over to my local Best Buy and found this unit, hooked it up-wala; picked up significantly MORE HD stations and this unit is stable and easy to position and move around (which is the objective in maneuvering for best reception). I'd highly recommend this unit-as far as I am concerned it does what it's supposed to do, easily outperforms (at least in my case) more expensive indoor antennas, and is just a great darn value!
33 comments94 of 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2011
I had a 46" Sony LCD TV and i was looking for decent indoor Antenna, initially I was more focusing on very expensive ones. Few days I happened to watch the local channels on my friends LCD with very simple rabbit ears antenna and amazed at the picture quality. Then I decided to look for more basic antenna's. At first I wanted to buy RCA ANT111 owing to excellent reviews, but I bought RCA ANT121 as this black color will match my TV and Home theater. Sure enough I just have to plug in the coax cable to back of my TV and I am receiving all the basic HD channels (NBC, ABC, FOX etc) in my area (Hartford, CT). The HD quality is better than what I used to get with my basic cable (without HD option). I highly recommend this, you'll not regret. Again, as anyone should know that the reception is based on the location you live. I live around 10 to 20 miles from broadcast stations.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2009
Just as good as any other antenna I've tried. Its not worth it to buy the more expensive ones, they all work the same. The SIGNAL STRENGTH NEVER CHANGES, that is controlled by the tower location and your location. All you can do is get a bigger antenna!!.
So I got two of these, pointed them different directions, now I get all the channels I should without having to adjust (very much) the dipoles.
44 comments57 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2011
Rabbit ears are the tried and true design that became popular for indoor TV reception 65 years ago, and this basic design still works well in the digital age. The RCA ANT121 is a slightly upgraded model from the no frills, but excellent RCA ANT110, and includes a knob to restrict/increase the signal. This is a non-amplified antenna which works fine connected to a digital TV in a suburban setting.
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
I hooked this up to my HD TV in Alpharetta, GA and picked up 55 digital stations! I wondered if I'd need an amplifying antenna since I'm about 25 miles outside Atlanta, but this works perfectly. I get a great signal on nearly all of the stations, and get a particularly clear signal on the main Atlanta networks. For those wondering, of the 55 stations, most are worthless, but with this antenna I easily picked up all of the local channels including the ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX affiliates as well as other local Atlanta stations, such as 8, 17, 30, 36, 69 ... and several I'd never heard of.

If you are thinking about getting an expensive antenna, I'd try this first to see if it does the job. For me, I have no reason to try anything else.
on March 26, 2011
I purchased this product for a tv that is not connected to cable. I use it with a converter box. Quick hook up - just plugged it into the back of the converter box. So far, it has provided me with clear beautiful digital reception. I just set it up and placed it in back of the tv so I don't really see it. I have not touched or adjusted it since I set it up. It has a knob for fine tuning, but have not used that feature. I'm also very happy that you do not have to plug this antenna in to an electrical outlet like the amplified models. Apparently it's not necessary. Also, let's face it - you can't beat the price. I'm happy with this purchase.
on August 15, 2009
I didn't want to spend a lot of money on an antenna for an older tv, so I did some research and came across this RCA model. I couldn't believe the price and after it arrived at my house (very quickly), it was easy to configure all of my devices with it. So far, this has been an awesome find at a great price!
on May 24, 2011
I used this one for several months and got good reception but had to adjust the dipoles more often than I would have liked, depending on the station I wanted (I live about six air miles from Washington DC so generally get good reception). As I understand with digital signals, most today are on the UHF band (even if they use a VHF-looking single digit virtual channel) which is normally picked up by the small UHF ring and not the rabbit ears (dipoles), so these are kind of out-of-date today. It's important to be gentle with the dipoles as well as they appear somewhat easy to break if you're not careful while opening/closing/turning them--a situation that is largely the same with most rabbit ear antennas however.

Afterwards I switched to the RCA ANT1450BR Multi-Directional Amplified Digital Flat Antenna (Black) and got a few more stations, and more importantly, had far fewer antenna adjustments to do. Getting greedy, I then switched to the RCA ANT1650R Flat Digital Amplified Indoor TV Antenna which uses the same technology but is larger and was able to get even more stations in (including some from Baltimore). I'm pretty happy today with the 1650R.