4.0 out of 5 stars TV works better than most small portable TVs
Published on September 28, 2012 by Mike Z

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT USEABLE FOR PURPOSE PURCHASED
Published on September 23, 2012 by djdmiami

4.0 out of 5 stars TV works better than most small portable TVs, September 28, 2012
Mike Z (Fort Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA DHT235A 3.5-Inch LED-lit 720p 60Hz TV (Silver) (Electronics)
I purchased this TV about a week ago. I ran it through its paces and discovered overall it worked pretty well for what is. I scanned and received most of the basic network channels with the provided antenna. The picture quality is good; in order to prevent the picture from being stretched and distorted the zoom mode had set to "normal "on HD stations. Some people don't mind the stretched look in order to get a full picture without bars.

The sound on this TV is what to be expected for this small device. The sound coming out of the headphones is a considerable improvement.

There is a Jack on the side above the head phone jack, for an external antenna. It requires an adapter cable that can be purchased through RCA for about $14 (nobody else seems to carry it). Amazon you should make the antenna adapter available when selling this TV. I purchased the antenna adapter cable, hooked up to my outside TV antenna and rescanned the TV. This time I received 70 channels & sub-channels here in the DFW area. I also tried it with an indoor Leaf Antenna which picked up almost every channel that I usually watch. I live in the country about 35 miles from Dallas, where most of the TV stations are located. . I think the TV should come with the antenna adapter cable or be made more readily available because it makes the TV a lot more functional compared to the flimsy antenna that is provided with the TV. The sensitivity on this TV is considerably better than most of the small portable TVs that I have tried in the past

Battery life is about what can be expected. If you use it a lot you can get the AC power adapter or 4 AA rechargeable batteries and a small charger for about $15. But if you use it in an emergency you'll need to keep some alkaline batteries for this TV.

I wrote a little longer evaluation than usual because there is very little information about this TV. Even after reading the reviews on Amazon; I had many unanswered questions prior to purchasing this TV. I hope this information will help others make a more informed decision.

For antenna Adaptor go to this web site ([...])

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV!, July 11, 2012
I love this TV! I had an old analog style for years and was so disappointed when tv went digital and it didnt work anymore. It gets great reception, I have tried other portable digital tvs, they are horrible in reception. My Mom got this one when she moved here, (Tornado Alley) from out of state, mainly for weather. For my birthday she got me my own! I had really missed not being informed when the power was out or when I was at work. This TV is great for power outages, because you just change the batteries, 4 AA. It doesnt even use up batteries very fast. No plugging in or keeping up with a charger. I carry it in my purse during severe weather season and can catch the big game at work during my breaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurricane Survival Essential! (along with a 20-pack of AA batteries of course), October 30, 2012
I purchased the RCA 3.5" portable TV back in September because it just seemed like a neat, cute little gadget (and I just love gadgets). Wasn't the most practical buy, given that I already had a perfectly good portable digital unit {the Coby TFTV791 7-Inch - also highly recommended, for slightly different reasons}, but I liked the size of this thing, the excellent picture as well as the fact that I wouldn't HAVE to rely on AC power, as it runs for just over two hours on 4 AA batteries - also a downside, because why would you want to run this little screen, burning out batteries at 2 hours a clip, when you have other [plug-in] alternatives? So, it basically sat in the box it came in for the last couple of months.

Then Tropical Storm Sandy made landfall last night here in NYC. My power went out pretty early. Fortunately I had a new 20-pack of AAs...pulled those out along with the RCA. Now mind you, I live on the third floor of an apartment building with great reception from the windows, no interference. I was able to pick up all major channels plus at least 12 others (many not even available through my cable provider). I was without power for over 12 hours, and I would say I burned through 3.5 sets of batteries...After the third set of batteries died, I turned on the Coby unit, which had about an hour's worth of power left on the built-in rechargable battery. Then back to the RCA...there's still a set of four working AA's in the unit.

You can't actually put a price on a device like this, in my opinion. It really is only as valuable as what it does when you need it to do it, I think (true of all things actually). Prior to the storm and subsequent power outage, I honestly didn't think it was a useful buy for my needs; I just thought it was "cute". After last night however, I'd say it's definitely worth its weight in gold. The picture quality is HD, the antenna picks up very well considering how flimsy it is (as other reviewers have pointed out, you'll want to be VERY careful manipulating the antenna). Back in the 80s, I had a B/W Sony Watchman (remember those? Then we're both old) and basically this is the modern-day version of that. Sitting in the dark, watching the news & weather reports last night on this little TV, I kept hearing reporters talk about the importance of keeping a portable FM radio in your evacuation bag or emergency kit. Sound advice I'm sure, but from now on I'll also be keeping this TV on hand for the next natural disaster - along with many extra batteries. Don't know how much use I'll get out of it until then but at least I'll know it's there. It significantly enhanced the quality of my downtime over the last 24 hours, and for me that was worth more than the price I originally paid for it.

Now, if only I could find the AC and RF antenna input adaptors for it...they don't come with the unit unfortunately, but there are input slots for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice little TV, February 11, 2012
Bought this for storms when the power goes out. Live in Greater Cincinnati area, and this little dynamo picked up all of the local HD OTA channels. Beware though, the antenna that is recessed and pulls out of the side, appears to be very fragile and may break. However, on the occasional use, I think this unit will serve it's purpose very well. I will be giving it a try during the day games of the opening round of the NCAA tournament next month while I am locked up in my daytime cubicle! If you can find the TV, it's worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars tv on the go, February 15, 2012
Bought as a gift for my husband to use when working outside in the garden. He likes the size, reception, and quality of the picture even though the picture is small. He also likes the fact that it takes batteries and does not need to be charged. He just pops in new batteries and is good to go. No waiting for it to recharge. Fits he needs.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT USEABLE FOR PURPOSE PURCHASED, September 23, 2012
I purchased this little battery-powered TV to be used during hurricane season to keep informed when the power is out. It seemed to be the perfect product for this purpose (easy to use, good picture, etc.). However, it would not program and access our local broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX), only a number of Spanish language channels and a PBS channel. Tech support at the supplier could not resolve this issue, so I returned the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job well., November 13, 2012
Imdette (Bowie, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this little tv for 2 power outages. I wanted to be able to see local news and not have to worry about recharging (which is ridiculous because if I could recharge I wouldn't need a battery tv). During the first outage (ours can last for days), I got one or two local channels--just enough to keep up with events and the battery life was great. However, I wanted a stronger signal and was told by another reviewer here (thanks much!!) where to get an adapter to work with it ([...]). The adapter, coupled with a small antenna a friend had purchased on Amazon, made the little tv a dynamo. During the second outage, I got a least 10 stations (I live in Bowie outside Washington, DC). The signal was strong and it kept me informed. Job well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for emergency hurricane weather, July 1, 2012
Worked right after inserting the batteries and received all of the stations needed for the use in case of an emergency. Reminds me of the walkman when they appeared on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini TV, Maximum pleasure, September 11, 2012
Brand name. RCA. Good quality. Perfect for storm tracking, because when the power goes out, it takes 4 AA batteries. How would you charge built in rechargeable batteries if the power goes out? Hard to find a TV like this that takes batteries instead of rechargeable ones. THANKS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little TV!, June 25, 2013
I bought this little TV because 1) I wanted something that would work when the power goes out and 2) because I'm addicted to TV. The first one I got worked great, but only with the external antenna I bought at the same time, along with the adapter I needed to attach the antenna to the TV. (I will insert that specific information below, since I had such a hard time figuring it out myself.) The problem with the first one was only that while I got 25+ channels with the external antenna, I got absolutely zero channels with the tiny internal antenna alone. I thought I should get at least a few channels with the built in antenna, given that I live in a metropolitan area and close to the local stations' antennas. So I arranged with Amazon to exchange for another. (A somewhat convoluted process, since this is fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a third party. But easy enough, and Amazon is a dream to work with on these issues.) Anyway, I got the new one, and its antenna does work. But the tiny and fragile built-in antenna doesn't get as many channels without pixilizing, so I will say the external antenna is a must. This little TV's picture is amazingly sharp! A brand new set of batteries lasted almost 3 hours--I kept the sound somewhat low to preserve battery life. I love this little TV, even though I had to buy a few accessories to make it perfect. Necessary accessories:

--August DTA206 Digital TV Extendable Antenna - Portable Indoor/Outdoor Aerial for USB TV Tuner / Digital Television / DAB Radio - With Magnetic Base and Extendable Rod Sold here. They also offer one without the extendable rod for about $1 less.
--MCX Male to Female Coax Video Adapter - I did not get the one Amazon sells--the picture didn't match what I needed. Just Google it. I've seen it everywhere for very cheap ($2 or so) from China and for lots more domestically--they come with or without a little extender cord that swivels.