Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on June 10, 2014
We ordered these prior to our 9.5 hour road trip to my parents-in-law's house so our 2.5 year old could watch movies to pass to the time. These made the trip SO MUCH BETTER than I imagined!

I hung the monitor that did NOT contain the DVD on the back of the front passenger seat, so that if my toddler kicked the screen (which - she did!), it wouldn't damage the DVD (and it didn't). (OK! FINE! My wife suggested this AFTER I had mounted the DVD player on the seat! Happy?!) It was also much easier for me to change the DVD, while my wife was driving. (Alright, ladies, you can wipe that grin off your faces, ok? I got it!)

Bottom line, the non-DVD-player side is fairly durable - withstands a few kicks from a toddler - and overall the concept is sublime. I like the fact that they are removable from the car. So, now that we're home, and the player is removed from the car, my toddler is not requesting to watch movies on our way to the store or to daycare. Because, frankly, I'd rather she watch the real world from her window for 20 minutes or less. I think, if we had built in players, she would always want to watch a movie and never notice the cows at the end of our street. And a two and half year old really should be noticing cows at the end of their street.

(Alright. This was really written by Wade's wife. Teeheehee) But seriously - LOVE the DVD Player! :)
66 comments217 of 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
Bought this for use in our minivan to keep the kids entertained. Pros: The screen resolution is good, clear picture, volume is loud enough. I like that when you turn the car off, the DVD picks up from where it left off when you come back. Cons: straps that hold the screen to the headrest are not very secure (I have a Honda Odyssey minivan), the buttons are hard to reach when the player is on the headrest such that you have to fiddle with the player just to reach the buttons or unstap it. The remote has no volume button, it does not have a rechargeable battery. The deal breaker for us was how the two screens have to be connected by a cable which hangs awkwardly between the two players such that the kids have to go under them or around them to get in and out of the van. In fact between the connection cables and the cable going into the car adaptor, that was too many cables! I sent then back.
11 comment169 of 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2013
Bought two sets of these before a big family road trip, dont think we would have made it without them. Kids all loved them and the video play is awesome. Id suggest buying headphones to go with them and maybe some sort of extension for the power cords because they are a tad short.
0Comment92 of 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
Great DVD player. My kids loved. I bought it for small and long trips and is totally worth it. It never skips
11 comment27 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2013
They are wonderful. Easy to install. Clear movies. I would recommend them.
They were a good price. The best I have ever had.
0Comment31 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2014
We purchased these monitors for a 3000 mile road trip from Indiana to Florida and back. I was a little leery about purchasing the units since there are so many bad reviews. But in the end I decided to take the chance (and save some money). I was pleasantly surprised.

We had very little issues with the units on the entire trip. We decided to place the standalone monitor on the headrest in front of my 2yr old son and keep the player on the center console so my wife could switch DVDs and watch if she wanted. The cables provided were long enough to allow this in my crew cab pickup truck. The DVD player was pretty much on for 6-8 hours a day over the course of 4 days of driving there in back with no real issues.

Pros:
- No problems reading DVDs and no DVDs were damaged on the entire trip
- Pretty rugged. My son wanted to kick the monitor repeatedly and it stood up well with just a few toe prints.
- Headrest straps, though kind of cheap feeling, held the monitor in place very well after it was properly tightened.
- It did skip from time to time when we hit particularly rugged interstate, but those instances were few and far between.
- Good volume for highway use.

Cons:
- The screens tend to get warm, but nothing dangerous. Kind of the nature of LCDs
- The volume controls for each screen are independent of each other. Would have been nice if my wife could have controlled the back seat volume without having to reach back and adjust the monitor.
- On the DVD player, there is only one latch that holds the cover closed. It seems very poorly designed, but it is still holding up. I kind of see this as a possible failure point in the future.

Overall, very happy with the purchase and look forward to using again on the next big road trip.
on August 23, 2014
Sigh. I had high hopes for these. We have also owned the Philips set, which after that one broke we decided to give the RCA set a chance. Here are the pros and cons versus the Philips set:
Pros: it has a remote. True, you can't see the screen from the front row, but we have all seen enough DVDs to be able to make an educated guess about which button to push.
The cords are better. I have seen some reviews that complain that they are too short but this set went in my Camry and they were plenty long. The cords are not nearly as messy with this set as they are with the Philips.
Cons: it skips. Driving on the freeway, hitting small bumps, it skips. It was a minimal delay and my kids didn't mind but we never had this problem with the Philips.
They are interdependent. You cannot run one without the other. With the Philips, you could run one at a time and it even came with a cord for home use. Not a big deal since 99% of the time we will want to run them together, but it still bugs me.
Overall, I wish I had purchased the Philips brand again even though it broke on me. This set should work just fine for us, though.
on October 16, 2013
I ordered this for my daughter to put in her car for my grandson. They both love it, the pictures are clear its easy to operate even come with a remote.
11 comment24 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2013
Clear picture. Nice size screen. Easy to load disc. Sound quality and volume good. Easy to mount onto headrest and take down. I really have nothing negative to say. Used them for vacation, helped immensely for travel with the kids.
0Comment49 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2014
Junk after 2 months. First the audio stopped working. Then these things didnt even power on. Even while they did work, the controls were in awkward positions, e.g., on/off switch is next to wires, making it difficult to turn on and off.
11 comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse