5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good indoor antenna
Published on January 14, 2008 by Bezerkeley Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gain, okay design
I bought the RCA ANT1251 for one reason: it offers higher gain (55db) than any other low-priced amplified antenna I could find.

Published on November 24, 2009 by Cris M. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good indoor antenna, January 14, 2008
Bezerkeley Guy (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
I live in in a yellow area in West Berkeley, CA, so I shouldn't need an outdoor antenna. To hedge my bets, I purchased this antenna because it has a power gain i.e., it's amplified via a powercord to an electrical outlet. Before I plugged it in and attached it to my Sony Bravia 40in flat screen, I didn't receive ANY channels in the SF Bay Area. After I plugged it in and did a channel search, it found 31 digital channels.

I'd recommend to anyone purchasing an antenna for HDTV to do your research, find out what color zone you are in, and then hedge your bets and get an amplified antenna if you go with an indoor antenna.

I've no complaints with this antenna & now I get so many stations that I'm quite happy to embark on my 7th year of no cable or satellite TV! Between all of these digital channels I get over the air in the SF Bay Area and my Netflix subscription for movies, I'm set...and am VERY glad I don't need to pay a cable or satillite company to get TV reception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antenna VS. Cable, March 1, 2013
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
Got tired of Comcast raising my bill every 3-6 months, so I got 4 RCA Powered antennas. Now I have 26 FREE channels on every tv in the house! I save over $100 a month. I tried the regular non powered antenna 1st and this powered RCA is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected..., February 19, 2009
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
I know performance for an antenna will always be determined by the area you're in. Personally, I have had GREAT performance from this antenna. I was skeptical at first because I used to work for Thomson Multimedia from 1994 to 2002 at their customer service call center. I used to field incoming customer complaints for 8 hours a day, and I also handled the use and care of our products. I also worked at Best Buy in the home theater (after Thomson laid us off and moved the call center). Saying all this to say that I have lots of personal experience with RCA products - both good and bad. I have no loyalty to the company specificly as I have been on the inside, and outside as far as involvement.

This antenna's performance has far out-performed anything I was expecting. I had a passive HD-capable antenna connected to an Insignia digital converter box. The major channels came in with no problem, but a few of the lesser channels used to freeze and pixelate to the point where they were unwatchable. When I connected this amplified antenna, I was able to pick up 2 channels that I didn't have before...PLUS the lesser channels with the weak signals began coming in crystal clear. Checking the signal meter on those channels, I see at least a 45% improvement in signal strength. This is helping me stay away from cable for a little longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE LITTLE INDOORS ANTENNA, March 1, 2013
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
PERFECT! VERY SMALL, AND I GET ABOUT 10 FREE CHANELS WITH IT. I GET 2 CHANNELS THT HAVE REGULAR PROGRAMS INCLUDING OLD PROGRAMS LIKE "ALL IN THE FAMILY", 2 WEATHER AND 2 NEWS AND 1 SPORTS CHANNEL. 1 CHANNEL HAS COOKING, KNITTING AND SUCH ON IT AND ANOTHER HAS MUSIC VIDEOS. GREAT CHANGE FROM PAYING $80 PER MONTH TO DIRECT TV. WE HOOKED UP TO NETFLIX FOR $8.99/MO AND USE THIS ANTENNA FOR FREE AND SAVE $71 PER MONTH. GREAT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS DURING THIS ECONOMY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice item, buy it at $17.00, February 2, 2011
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
Best Buy sells this same item for $40.00 I saw it on Amazon for $17.00, and the next day when I bought it the price was up to $22.00 and now the price is back down to $17.00 Either way its a good price.

I am using it in town with an HDTV flat screen. The picture actually looks better with the amplifier turned off. I can also keep the rabbit ears all the way down and hidden behind the unit.

The picture looks better than cable TV. I notice that all the channels are at different sound volumes, but maybe that is normal for broadcast TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong signal, May 24, 2013
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
I decided to cancel cable because I really only watch the main channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS). The reception with this RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna was great, and I actually got about 30 channels; but some were duplicates and many in Spanish (I just speak English). The unit has a sleek and modern look, not the old-fashioned 'bunny ears.' I've done HOURS of research on antennas, and trust me, if you want to save time, just go ahead and buy this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gain, okay design, November 24, 2009
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)

My previous antenna is an old amplified Magnavox that delivers up to 22db gain, and in my part of rural Northwest Montana, that was good for exactly one digital VHF station from 12 miles away. This antenna, on the other hand, is capable of bringing in two additional digital channels, both of which seem to be at least 40 miles distant. So on that note alone, I did get my money's worth.

The design does leave some things to be desired. As another reviewer noted, the dipoles (used for VHF reception, i.e. channels 2-13) are pretty stiff, so you need to use both hands and a bit of caution to move them around. The bigger problem is the UHF loop (channels 14-69). Contrary to the product description, the loop does NOT pivot. You have to rotate the entire unit to orient it with your station's transmitter, and when the dipoles are extended, this can result in a bit of a tangle with surrounding walls, curtains, and whatnot.

But on the other hand, it is compact (slightly smaller than my previous model) and I appreciate that there are separate gain controls for VHF and UHF.

So, this is a fine indoor amplified antenna, especially for the price. It's not going to get you the kind of reception that an outdoor mount can deliver, but it's also not going to cost you nearly as much or require installation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital and Analog Antenna, June 3, 2008
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
To start: Digital TV does NOT mean HDTV. Many digital channels are HDTV, but not all. Digital is the signal/transmission type, HDTV refers to the quality of the content.

This antenna receives both UHF and VHF, meaning that it'll receive digital and analog signals, at least until most analog signals go off-air in Feb 2009 (See [...] It is amplified, so it will require power and should give you a better signal than non-amplified atennas. It has separate amplification adjustments, which allows you to fine tune the amplification for best reception on both digital and analog.

TVs these days don't come with antennas any more so the only comparison I have is with a paperclip (try it, it works!). I got 8 channels with a paperclip and 29 channels with this antenna.

TV signals are very directional and trees, buildings, etc will bounce the signal around, so try rotating the antenna slowly to tune digital channels. Analog channels are adjusted with the rabbit years.

Finding the best direction for digital channels is a bit tricky because you either get an image or you don't, there's not much in between so be prepared to spend some time.

I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it because I'm not sure if it's worth much more than rabbit ears.

2.0 out of 5 stars Roll the dice..., April 16, 2008
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
I've never known of an amplified antenna that has worked really well so when I bought this one I wasn't expecting much. In fact, I was expecting very little. My goal was to drop my satellite service at $50 a month and make due with a powered antenna.

So far, this antenna has confirmed my low expectations. I live on the outskirts of a major metropolitan area so this antenna should shine in this type of setting. Several channels are available at reduced strength. In the end, only one channel is even worth watching, and that one is of poor quality.

You may have better results than I did but don't get the idea that this is the solution to all of your problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Amazon price, October 17, 2011
This review is from: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (Electronics)
I wanted one of these right away to watch some Sunday football, so I decided to go to a big box store and purchase one for $40. There are broadcasting antennas 15 miles NorthWest of me and antennas 25 miles SouthEast of me. The problem with this antenna is that it would only pick up the signals that it was pointing directly at, which causes an obvious problem with the antennas being different bearings from my house. I then returned it and bought an "omnidirectional" antenna for $70 and got only slightly better results. I ended up spending $80 on Amazon to get an outdoor antenna and a pre-amplifier. I now get all stations within 45 miles of me with a perfect signal. I would suggest going to a site like antenna point to see where the antennas are in your area.

RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna