Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on February 27, 2008
Since my local cable TV has increased the rate last month, I have decided to cancel the cable service and go over the air. All we need is just local channels that show weather forecast and school closing information. I bought 4 different antennae between $30-$50. This one (ANT537) and the Philips MANT510 showed significantly better reception than the other units. This one is not as flexible as the MANT510, but the build quality is much much better. After playing around with both antenna for a couple weeks, I finally decided to keep this one. This one pick up a few more channels than the MANT510. Now I place this in my bedroom upstairs and through a splitter plug it back to the antenna port on the wall to route it down to the basement and splitted into other TV antenna ports in my house. The signal is very good that I have quite a few channels look even better than my cable service. So far, I have only tested the analog reception though. The ultimate test would be with the ATSC reception on HDTV or through the DTV converter box.

Update 3/20/2009:
After more than half year using DTV converter boxes with this antenna, I am very very satisfied. I get 29 digital channels with very high quality over the air, whereas the Philipis MANT510 picks up only 26.
on February 22, 2007
Upon careful consideration about the thought of paying my cable company an additional 15 dollars a month over the already inflated rate when I would really only take advantage of say, two, channels offered in HD that wouldn't otherwise be free, this alternative is an absolute gift. The antenna itself is small to the point that it can be placed on virtually any flat surface more than 4 inches wide, although when I was fiddling with the dipoles swinging them forward did cause the antenna to become top-heavy, which may result in it tipping over. Setup is effortless - plug the coaxial cable into the television, connect the power supply, and start watching free HD broadcasts. The only complaint I have with setup is the fact that the coaxial cord attached to the device is on the short side, and is planted in the back. That is, it cannot be removed and replaced with a longer coaxial should the need arise. But, as long as the antenna is placed within 6 feet of the television there really is no problem. This is a stylish and very functional addition to any HD capable television at an affordable price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2009
I recently tried five different antennae and found the Philips MANT940 to be the best of all five.

I compared it to the GE 24775, the RCA ANT537, Philips SDV2750, and the RCA ANT 1450. If I was giving a ranking for the five, it would be as follows:

1. Philips MANT940
2. RCA ANT 1450
3. GE 24775
4. RCA Ant 537
5. Philips SDV2750

By using the signal strength meter on my HDTV, the MANT940 was the only one to receive at least 80% on all relevant stations. I had chosen a location near a window in my garage and placed all antennae there and compared their performance. The top three I listed above all performed adequately, so I moved them to a place where I would mount the MANT940 between two windows.

Upon comparison of those three in the best window location, I found that the MANT940 had most channels in the 90-94% range and one channel at 80% while most of the channels on the other two were in the mid 70's to mid 80's.

I am in northern suburb of Atlanta, GA and found that the only channel that I wanted that no antenna would pick up is the NBC affiliate, WXIA.
on April 1, 2007
With the cost of basic cable going through the roof, this is a great investment especially if you have an HDTV. Drop 50 bucks or so on this, pick up HD signals for your local channels and some other ones and pay no cable bill.

If you need movie channels, ESPN, Comedy Central, Discovery or the few other channels that one might actually watch on cable, this antenna WILL NOT get those. If you just want to get the major networks and keep $600 - $1200 in your pocket each year instead of giving it to Comcast then get one of these and buy or rent a DVD if there is a movie you really want to see. The picture with this is every bit as good as what you see on the TVs in the stores with the signs next to them telling you you need to get cable and/or DirecTV.
on June 23, 2009
I just received it, plugged it in and turned the gain u as high as it can go. There was a marked difference in the signal strength. A channel that I had lost after the digital transition (for some weird reason) was again watchable.

I heard some people say that positioning is not important with this antenna. For me, that is an untrue statement. Rotating the antenna a few degrees meant the difference between picking up a channel and receiving nothing at all.

Each case is unique. Some people live in terrible places and will not be able to receive strong digital signals until television stations do signal strength audits and decide to invest in increasing their coverage (i'm sure their revenue dollars are hurt by lost viewership - so it is in their best interest to make their signal as strong as possible.

Though an inaccurate measure for me, this page may be helpful for you to determine whether or not you need a stronger antenna or whether you need to buy a basic cable subscription.

on February 11, 2013
I have several non-amplified and amplified TV antennas and this model, ANT537, appeared to bring in the majority of the channels in my local area. The major stations like NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS come in pretty strong with any antenna where I live (the TV shows a signal strength of 100). The weaker stations like PBS and other UHF stations come in with a signal strength of around the mid-80s. There is one rather weak UHF station where the signal strength is around the mid-70s. The transmitter for this station is weak given the lower power output by that station. I tested several models, among them - Terk TV2 & TV3, RCA ANT121, ANT537, ANT585, Philips SDV2210, MANT510, and PHDTV3 models. For the weak station, the non-amplified Philips SDV2210 was able to pick up the station, but the reception could be lost if the unit was moved even slightly. For the amplified models, the RCA ANT537 was able to get good consistent reception of this weak station (but only if the amplification was turned on). The base of this model is much more thicker (and sturdier) than the other models. The cable that leads into the TV is also much thicker than the other models and it is 6 feet long which provides a longer length than most other antennas. The unit uses 4.5 watts of electricity and has a knob to increase/decrease the amplification instead of an off/on switch used in the other models. Your results may vary depending on your location and obstructions, but this model did outperform the other antenna models based on the ability to pick up the weak stations for me.

Update: I used the RCA ANT121 (non-amplified) antenna on a TV on the second floor of my home and it outperformed all of the amplified and non-amplified antennas on the TVs located on the first floor (it got TV stations over 30 miles away). I am sure that other antenna sets would have improved reception if moved up to the second floor. The height placement of the antenna does play a critical role in station reception and would appear to be more important than signal amplification of the unit.

Update #2: I have noticed that the TV tuner also plays an important role in station reception. I have four HDTV models and only one appears to be able to receive TV stations located over 30 miles away with or without amplification. The other three TVs cannot pick up the more distant stations regardless of antenna amplification or height placement. Signal amplification helps to avoid the "screen freeze" often seen for signals that are rather weak to the TV. The TV tuner does play an important role whether you can receive a station at all regardless of any type of antenna. Based on my experience, I would rank the following inside antennas in terms of performance (stations located under a 20 mile radius). For stations located 30 miles or beyond, the TV tuner becomes more important than the antenna.

Non-amplified - Philips SDV2210 (performs well on first and second floors), RCA ANT121 (performs well on second floor, but is a bit weaker on first floor)

Amplified - RCA ANT537 (performs well on first and second floors), Terk TV3 (performs well on first and second floors, but is a bit weak on low power stations)
on March 17, 2010
but my girlfriend is addicted to cable :(

I would also like to thank all the bozos that gave this a low rating. It makes me realise that you can't get scared when a product only has 3 stars, since a bunch of neanderthals dragged the score down when they hooked it to their toater oven and got no picture! :)
on June 15, 2009
We bought one of these a couple years ago and several others since. I just ordered a second one because this one was the only one that actually worked for us.
on May 10, 2015
Best antenna I have used yet! Better than the amazon basics 60 mile model!
on October 28, 2006
I moved around the dipole antenna for better reception and one of them broke away from its post for no apparent reason. The movement of the dipole was pretty much effortless and what I would consider normal, so I couldn't figure out why it would break off when no unnecessary exertion was applied. It looks like it could possibly be repaired, or reattached, but after numerous web searches I was unable to locate customer service contact information to address my problem to, and possibly get some assistance. This is very unusual for me as I've used "rabbit ear" type indoor antennas from different manufacturers for years and never once had a malfunctioning or defective product. The only reason I gave it 2 stars is because I actually picked up pretty decent HD reception before the dipole broke off, but I still would like to have had it for far more than two weeks before doing so. If it wasn't for HDTV reception I wouldn't have had to purchse this antenna, because my old analog reception antennas still work just fine, they're just not HD compatible. I'd like to add that I also use an ATSC/digital HD tuner rather than cable or satellite reception. Oh well, I guess they really don't make them like they used to.