5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!!
Published on September 23, 2009 by R. Proctor

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted about three months
The clock looks pretty good. The display is far too bright for a dark room, even with the automatic dimmer set. One of the blue lines that makes up the time display broke after about a month. After a year the flimsy plastic switch to turn on/off the alarms just snapped somewhere and no longer works.

OK design except for the brightness but the build quality is...
Published on October 27, 2009 by werkshy

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!!, September 23, 2009
This review is from: RCA RC46R AM/FM Alarm Clock Radio with Large Blue LED Display (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Trying to find a reliable, easy to use, inexpensive, alarm clock for the wife. She wanted one that sets itself and had a battery back-up. I wanted one that would wake her up. Found this one at K-mart and spent 30 mins playing with it over by the televisions (needed a power source). This radio alarm clock is perfect for what I need. This being my first review, I"ll just point out the things that made me buy it.
1. Nice soft blue color, 2 setting...low you can just make out and high is clearly visible
2. Battery back up (even came with batteries) easy to find AA"s
3. Plug in in and it sets itself (all you have to do is set the time zone) has a switch for Daylight Savings Time.
4. Dual alarm (his and her) or in this case days and midnights...set it and forget it. You don't have to remember to set it everyday.
5. If the power goes out the alarm goes into kind of a sleep mode. It beeps to warn you of the power failure and according to the instructions, remembers the alarm settings and goes off without it being plugged in (not tested yet)
6. The alarm starts off kinda like any other alarm but then gets progressively louder (can't see anyone sleeping through this one)
7. Playing with the tuner, looks like one of those old fashion, spin the dial things, but it shows a digital read on the display (kinda cool but it's a cheap radio folks and sounds like one)
8. The snooze is adjustable from 1 to 30 mins.
9. Last but not least, the alarm set time is displayed on the lower right, so if your the nervous type, you can double check to make sure the alarm is where you want it to be. All for around 20 bucks...and that"s all I have to say about that.....

4.0 out of 5 stars RCA RC46 Alarm Clock, October 12, 2009
pdxmaven (Portland OR USA) - See all my reviews
I had googled "alarm clocks best" or something similar and the earlier model of this one came up.
Since I had already gotten one at my Big Box store that I wasn't happy with, I decided to give it a try.
Pros: HUGE easily readily numbers for the time.
It goes off each morning at the set time without you having to remember to reset it
It has a second alarm you can set if, for example, you want to take a nap during the day

Cons: Setting it is not totally intuitive, and I had to sit there with the (not easy to follow) instructions in hand while setting it up the first time. And setting the second alarm seems even more complicated, to the degree that last time I needed that feature, I just used the alarm on my cell phone.
And when oh when will some body come up with a way to set the time without having to scroll through every number?!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted about three months, October 27, 2009
werkshy (Brooklyn, NY, United States) - See all my reviews

OK design except for the brightness but the build quality is pathetic. Don't waste your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but bad product., December 12, 2009
I needed a new alarm clock because my old one had a nice feature where the time would automatically adjust to Daylight Savings time. The only trouble is that I purchased it long before the Powers That Be made the decision to change the dates for Daylight Savings time (I had it for more than 8 years!). So, twice a year, I was going somewhere at the wrong time. I couldn't update the software on it to the new DST schedule, so I finally decided to get a new one.

I really wanted to love this alarm clock from RCA. I thought the blue display would be a nice change but mostly the idea of having the alarm time displayed was just what I needed. You have to flip the switch to DST instead of it being automatic like my old Emerson, but I decided it was a good trade off. I also like the adjustable time for the snooze so that you can set it to exactly what you want it to be.

Other reviewers have said that the blue display is very bright, and I do agree. But this didn't bother me much since I mostly have my eyes closed anyway and don't have to deal with it in the dark. The snooze button across the top of the unit is very large....which is great for a sleepy hand to hit it, but it makes it difficult to hold the unit in order to adjust the time for the alarms and such. But this is also something that you can get used to and work around.

The main reason that I am rating this item low is that the alarm button broke right at the 30-day mark. Now my "alarm 1" is stuck on the wake to music setting. I can't change it to the buzzer, but more importantly, I can't shut it off!! So, I have an alarm set every single day. The best I could do was change the time of the alarm. This was really annoying for the rare weekend when I had the opportunity to sleep in.

I'm past my 30-day warranty from the place I purchased it from, so I can't return it there....so now I am struggling with the manufacturer for a refund. Needless to say, I am going back to my Emerson brand. I definitely do not recommend this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading....NOT AN ATOMIC CLOCK!!!, February 15, 2010
Johnny Spect (Outside of Chicago) - See all my reviews
I didn't buy this clock for it's "Auto Clock Set" feature, but I was quite pleased to see it when I unpacked the clock. However, don't be confused, "auto clock set" is completely misleading.

The clock does some silly circling lights when you first plug it in, as if searching for a frequency, but it's not doing ANYTHING. The time is pre-set at the factory, that's it. That's why the thing ships with batteries installed. This doesn't sound like a big deal unless you want exact time and, like me, accidentally adjust the clock "manually."

I may not have cared about the auto time function at first, but when I made a mistake and messed up the time, I didn't want to go through the trouble of re-setting the clock, so I unplugged the clock and removed the batteries. I assumed the clock would search out the atomic-clock frequency and set itself again....it didn't and it won't for you. All you get is blinking 12:00 (like any clock).

After much searching through manuals and online and trying every trick I could think of, it dawned on me that the whole "auto clock set" thing was a gimmick. So, if you lose power for too long, if your batteries go dead, if you take the batteries for some other device, or if you just decide to unplug this clock and take out the batteries, you'll have to reset this clock just like any other clock radio purchased in the past 30 years. There is a name for the feature this clock comes with, "battery back-up" with "factory set time." The time zone button is just a simple one hour time cycle adjustment.

Aside from the misleading claims, it seems like a reasonable clock. It's display is bright as others have commented, but you can dim it. The two alarms is a nice feature, as is showing the alarm in the lower right corner. I haven't had this clock long enough to speak to build quality, which, judging by other reviews, seems suspect.

UPDATE:
1st or 2nd alarm button--can't recall which--broke off. Took about two months for this to happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alarm Clock, Perfect!, May 2, 2010
The two alarm settings are great. Setup is fast and easy. All buttons are easy to figure out what they do and how to use them. Display is large enough to be read from across the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Senior clock - BIG Buttons, October 17, 2009
This clock is for someone who doesn't want to fumble looking for little buttons. It's alarm starts low and builds. Who wants to be blasted out of bed?? Great value & incl's 2 light levels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Above average, but not top quality, February 27, 2012
The Admiral (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My old RCA alarm clock started to die after nearly 10 years. The newest model of the same type is almost $100 and I just couldn't justify that in this economy so I went hunting for a new alarm that had some KEY features that I have come to enjoy.

1. Alarm ramps up in volume.
2. Adjustable sleep timer.
3. Digital Tuning.
4. Auto-time set via satellite.
5. Auto Daylight Savings Time adjusting.
6. Adjustable display brightness.
7. Decent sound quality.
8. Multiple alarms.
9. Pre-set buttons for the radio.
10. Easy to find sleep button.

After searching high-and-low, I found that only RCA seems to offer most of these features in thier alarms. I will address each in turn.

1. Yep. This one has a ramping volume to the alarm.

2. Yep. THis one was VERY important to me. I hate the standard 9 minute sleep timer. I like to have mine set to 30 minutes. My old RCA went from 1 to 60. This one only goes up to 30, but that is fine for me.

3. While I got most of what I wanted, sadly some of the advertising for this was misleading at best if not 100% false. I'm referring to the digital tuning. Make no mistake...Neither this nor the RC40 model have digital tuning. The display will show a digital read out of what its programing BELIEVES is the station your are tuned to. It gets this based on how far the dial has been turned. This is NOT digital tuning, only a digital read out showing APPROXIMATELY what station is selected. I like to sleep with the radio on and listen to KOST 103.5 here in Orange County, CA. When tuned to this station, the display shows anything from 103.2 to 103.8. In the US, FM stations always have an odd number after the decimal. For this to show even digits is very weird. I tried passing the station and coming back to it from both above and below and each time a different number was displayed when I was tuned into the station.

4. Nope. This one has battery to remember the time as it was programmed. It will return to the time it thinks it is when power is restored, however it is not set by satellite. This means that the clock is ONLY as accurate as the person setting the time. When I plugged it in the first time, it was 2 minutes off. This had to have been set wrong when it was first activated in the factory.

5. Kinda, not but really. My two past alarms auto-adjusted for daylight savings time. The most recent because it's time was set by satellite. The other because you set it with the current date and it knew what day to adjust the clock. This one has a button to adjust the clock 1hr up or back. But you still have to remember to hit the button.

6. This one does have a "high" and "low" setting to the brightness. My old RCA had a sensor to adjust the brightness depending on the amount of ambient light. I really liked that. I believe that the brightness switched should be labeled as "Blinding" and "High". The low setting is as bright as a kid's night-light.

7. Absolutely not. The sound quality is similar to having an old transister radio. Sadly the volume control does not have a quiet setting. Every radio I've had until now has a volume that can go from loud all the way down to a a super quiet whisper. This radio goes from silent to a low-medium level. If I were to put a scale to it for volume where the loudest is 10 and a church whisper is a 1, the lowest setting this radio can do is a 3. Actually turns out to be too loud to use while sleeping. Very sad.

8. Yep. This one has two alarms just like my old RCA. No issues here.

9. Nope. A big failure here. Of course, now-a-days you only see pre-set buttons on radios with digital tuning. Since this radio is NOT digital (no matter what the advertisements say) there are no presets. A failure here.

10. The sleep button on this one is bigger than my old RCA and with the added feature of having multiple buttons function as the sleep when the alarm is activated make it a no brainer and very easy to find when you are just opening your eyes in the morning.

Over all, I got some of what I wanted. I was duped on the digital tuning and I will say I thought long and hard about returning it. I ended up deciding to keep it because no other radio had as many of the features that I wanted without getting too high of a price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the display!, December 23, 2010
This clock was purchased to be used in a large room as a time display. The best thing about this model is the large blue display! The display has no blinking characters and isn't so bright that it constantly catches the eye, yet, I can read it from across the room without my glasses! This clock uses two penlight batteries to keep the time during power loss, and even comes with the time pre-set from the factory. When first plugged in, the clock flashes various segments in sequence as if to suggest that it is setting the clock from some remote site but don't believe it - I removed the back-up batteries to test this and the time had to be reset by hand. This brings us to what I believe is probably the worst feature of this clock - buttons everywhere! It's difficult to hold the clock without unintentionally clicking some switch. Once the ordeal of getting the clock set up for use, the buttons become less of a negative aspect. Finally, I listened to the radio and the sound quality was poor but no worse than any typical inexpensive clock radio. I gave this product a four-star rating, only because the display is large and the soft blue color is very readable across a large room without being overly bright.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, June 2, 2010
Namely (Jersey, NJ) - See all my reviews
I don't know if they have updated the design since all those other reviews were written, but the alarm buttons (and everything else) seem to be very well built. I have not had any problems w/ this clock and I have had it for about 3 months. I found it very easy to use and set, and it was not too bright for me (on the low brightness setting).

UPDATE 1/11/2012:

After owning it for over 2 years, I still have not had any issues. The only complaint would be that the alarm is hard to turn off since the button is on the front and you can't touch the top or else you will press the large snooze button. This leads to the clock sliding backward when you try to press the button to turn off the alarm or you have to grab it from the sides. Then again, I guess this helps to ensure that you are more fully awake...

Rate and Discover Movies