Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Size: 0.7Change

on September 16, 2012
I'm pretty picky about my alarm clocks for several reasons: brightness, number size, and sound. I'm terribly nearsighted and the numbers were big and bright enough to be visible at 15 feet. I'm also sensitive to light in a dark bedroom and this clock doesn't create that nimbus of light around it that so many of my previous clocks have. Finally, it is loud enough to get me up at 3:30 AM but doesn't make the neighbor's dog howl (yes, this is actually a problem). Cheap, functional, compact, and one of the best I've ever owned.
55 comments611 of 625 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2012
The bedside alarm clock I had for umpteen years recently died, and I spent hours searching for a new one. As a nearsighted insomniac, I couldn't buy a tiny clock and have any prayer of reading it, but I needed a dimmable clock whose glow wouldn't wake me up. At first I tried a "dimmable" Timex, but the dimmer switch didn't work, so back it went to Amazon. Then I tried a clock with "amber" lights whose dim setting was bright enough to read by (no joke!). Another return. Finally, desperately, I tried this. It's an excellent size, but still, unfortunately, bright enough to disturb. But then I came across what has proven to be a brilliant solution elsewhere on the web. I purchased a smoke-colored plastic report cover and cut out a piece of plastic the same size as the clock face. A light spritz of water & it adheres perfectly to the clock. I can read the clock easily even in bright sunlight, but its glow is dimmed satisfactorily at night, and the plastic cover isn't otherwise noticeable. Highly recommended fix!
1717 comments597 of 628 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 6, 2012
Size: 0.7Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a simple alarm clock that is great for travel or if you don't have much room on your night stand and want a simple alarm clock. It would also be great for a backup alarm clock if you really need to be sure you will be awakened.

Size and Ease of Use: This is small but easy to use when setting the alarm and time. The product description says it is 4.5 x 3.9 x 2.5 inches which seems right. It takes up very little space.

The buttons to set the time and alarm are big enough to use without a problem. I have large hands and I had no problem setting the time and alarm as well as the night light switch and the snooze button.

LED Display: The LED display is easy to see. The numbers are a lttile more than half an inch high. The light is green and easy to see in a dark room without being too bright. There is no feature that allows you to lower or raise the brightness of the numbers.

Alarm and Snooze: The alarm is surprisingly loud for such a small alarm. It has the beeping sound heard on many alarm clocks. The snooze feature allows you get 5 more minutes of sleep before the alarm rings again. There is a nightlight feature which, when turned on, lights the the snooze button. The light seems a yellow/orange and adds a small amount of light to a dark room.

Quality/Other Features: The alarm clock is plastic. It is what you would expect for the price. There is a battery backup which takes a 9-volt battery in case there is a power outage or if the plug comes out. The digital display does not work in these cases but the alarm function will stay in the clock's memory and according to the instructions the alarm will still ring as long as long as the battery is not used up. ( I have not used the battery backup feature for more than a minute to see if it works so I don't know how long the alarm feature works if the power goes out for an extended period of time.)

Overall: There is a lot to this small alarm clock. I am impressed with the ease of use for such a small clock and the battery backup is a nice feature for such a small and inexpensive alarm clock.
0Comment318 of 332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2012
I am near sighted and I wanted a replacement clock that I could see from the bed without putting on my glasses. This one has nice big numbers that are easy to see. The clock is very simple to operate. I did not even need the manual, and I have had clocks that required step by step instructions, but this one was extremely easy to set the time and the alarm was just as easy. One slide switch for the time and one for the alarm on the back, and the top toggle button sets the hour when pressed on one side and the minutes on the other. The time and alarm switches can be locked after you set them, so you do not accidentlly change the settings. The top toggle then doubles as a snooze feature. The clock is very attractive and a little different as the top is flat with 90 degree corners and the bottom corners are rounded. The clock actually looks better than the picture, although the picture is fairly accurate. If you are looking for a radio with the clock, this is not for you, it is only an alarm clock. As I said, it is easy to set and easy to read, even if you wear glasses. I would recommend it to anyone wanting an alarm clock, but not a clock radio.
0Comment128 of 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2013
I wanted a clock that I can see from across my smallish studio apartment. This works fine and has a din/bright setting as well. For $10, Can't be beaten.

I've uploaded some photos as well.
review image review image review image review image
11 comment78 of 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 20, 2012
Size: 1.4Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Happily, I don't actually need an alarm clock. What I do need, though, is a clock that both my husband and I can see from across the room in the middle of the night without our glasses ("Old age is not for sissies." --Bette Davis). Apparently that's a lot to ask from a clock, but the RCA RCD30 delivers. I also appreciate its compact size and that it does not have a stand-type base that is unstable or can easily break (yes, I've had experience with other brands...).

The RCD30 is pretty basic. It does exactly what I need it to do (keep time, be visible), it's competitively priced, and has a small footprint. I like it a lot.
11 comment153 of 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
This is not really an alarm clock, but merely a clock. The display is easily viewed, and it can be viewed in two modes--"regular" and bright." I don't know why anyone would want to use the rather dim "regular." My last alarm clock had all it's buttons on it's front, which was a great convenience. In contrast, this alarm must be turned on and off using a minuscule switch on it's back. If one wants to quickly check what time you set your alarm for, it cannot be done. Moreover, the alarm itself is not very loud. It will not wake deep sleepers.

I will use this solely as a clock and depend on two small battery powered travel clocks to ensure that I get up. Incidentally, one must use a magnifying glass to read the instructions that come with this.
0Comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2012
Clock seems to work fine, but man is it *bright*. Using it on a bedside nightstand is like having a nightlight right next to you. I find it unfit for its intended purpose.
22 comments46 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2013
Purchased in July of this year, 3 months later, the display starts showing numbers incorrectly [i.e. top bar of 5 missing, bottom bar of an 8 missing, etc.]. Occasional flickering as well.

RCA's warranty stipulates you mail it to them, and they will replace the 'new' unit with a refurbished one and/or refurbished parts. At standard shipping rates, cheaper to just buy another brand.

Shame on RCA. If this is what is regarded as 'high quality', one can only guess what low quality is to them.
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
I ordered this clock as a News Years Gift for my Parents,..i opted to go with this because the large LED display was ideal and the simplicity of the usage to set the alarm etc...however after setting it up in my parents room i soon realized that it kept getting slower and slower ..looses about 3 hours during the day..and i did ahve the backup 9 volt battery installed...i even tired different power outlets but to no avail...even took it over to friends house and the same result . we decided to put this next to my iphone stop timer ..and i realized that it looses almost 12 seconds every minute !..I have a video of this that i wish to upload but i don't see any options here ...At the end of the day it was lagging by almost 3 hours. I am very dissatisfied with this purchase since i cannot use this for any practical purpose.. i wish the good folks at amazon give me back a refund... since i have no need for this anymore..i already found an alternate LED clock for my parents room ..it was a bit more expensive however but it works just fine.
44 comments23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse