5.0 out of 5 stars What the Pros Use
I have worked in radio for more years than I would like to admit. Let's say when I started, I had to learn the art of turntables, keeping records spotless and dust free. This handheld dust remover is what every radio station had in every studio in the entire country. There is no substitute. When used with the correct hand motion, not a fleck of dust remains on the record...
Published on November 14, 2011 by Peter Spaker

Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:24 Mins
I bought this because my old discwasher from the seventies was falling apart. What a rip off! This does not have the fibers that point in one direction that actually pick up dust and dirt, like the original product. If you found this video review and demonstration informative, visit my web site and let me know. Thanks!
Published on June 26, 2008 by Bill Camarata

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor imitation of the original record cleaner(a demonstration)., June 26, 2008
Length:: 2:24 Mins

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you RCA, January 9, 2007
I recently revived my old stereo and hundreds of LP albums from the basement. There are many of these albums that never made it to CD, and I also wanted to see what people were talking about when they say that analog vinyl has a warmth that digital CDs do not. Now, a week later, I really do understand.

But with that warmth comes dust and dirt, which is not a problem for CDs. I remembered that back in the day the standard of excellence for disk cleaning was the Discwasher. I spent about an hour looking for my old one, gave up and bought a new one, now made by RCA.

The old company either went bankrupt or just sold out, but RCA has run this product into the ground - it's not what you remember. Now made in China, the wood handle is imprecisely cut so that the bottle no longer fits well inside. Instead, it gets lodged and took some time to dislodge. That's not a big issue however, but indicative of how the quality isn't what it used to be.

The real issue, however, is the cleaning pad. The old model had ridges of material that ran lengthwise to the handle, with the fibers angled so that they dug into the grooves and pulled out the dust, holding onto it. That's why it worked so well. What's the pad covered with now? It appears to be brown corduroy, with ridges, yes, but the fibers have no particular orientation. Thus, it does not dig into the grooves and does an even worse job of holding onto the dirt it does dislodge. I was almost going to give up on the new Discwasher as the results were so second rate.

I was very disappointed, but thought maybe my memory had built the old Discwasher into something Herculean that didn't match reality. Memory has a way of accentuating either the positives of negatives.

Well, today I found the old Discwasher, and let me tell you, if anything my memory didn't give the old product enough praise. I have now cleaned several LPs with the old one, and there's an absolute world of difference. The old one digs the dirt out and keeps it in the pad until you brush it out, completely unlike the one that RCA is peddling these days. The new one leaves a lot of dust on the disc no matter how carefully you roll the brush.

Shame on you RCA for exploiting and cheapening a venerable old brand. What would it have cost you to put the proper fabric on the pad as opposed to corduroy? Maybe 15 cents per item?? But then again I guess they get the corduroy clippings cheap from a GAP factory in China.

Yes, it looks like the Discwasher of old, but that's the extent of the resemblance. If you're looking for the Discwasher you remember, look in the basement; maybe you'll get really lucky like I did. Or, look on eBay, but do not look to RCA.

For those reviewers writing reviews based on the historic quality of this product - you haven't bought this new version. It really is remarkably inferior.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you RCA, January 8, 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away!, December 21, 2008
This is NOT the original! I was horribly disappointed with this purchase. Thankfully, I kept my original Discwasher and continue to use this 25+ year-old product over this new piece of junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a "discwasher", March 13, 2008
MikeP996 "mike996" (Centerport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This is junk compared to the Discwasher that we all knew and used in the vinyl era. The name be the same but the product is essentially ineffective compared to the original. I'd suggest you try to find an old one somewhere but don't bother wasting money on this. I used it once and tossed it in the trash can. You can do better with a t-shirt. The pad is nothing like the pad on the original - it does NOT get into the record grooves. You can do as well with an old (clean) T shirt!

1.0 out of 5 stars Discwasher aka Discratcher, July 30, 2007
This is horrible...what happen to discwasher? It doesn't do what it advertises...remove dirt....they mean pushes dirt around the grooves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the same, September 19, 2008
The item pictured is the original Discwasher system. The item you get is the new one from RCA with a different handle and completely different material on the business side. And the new item is vastly inferior to the original. This used to be one of the best products out there, now I'm looking for other, better record cleaning solutions.

1.0 out of 5 stars RCA version is nothing like original Discwasher, December 4, 2008
E. Neubaum (Harrisburg, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA RD-1006 Discwasher Vinyl Record Care System (Electronics)
I completely concur with other reviewers who have compared this with the original made-in-USA Discwasher. The wood feels cheaply finished, the bottle gets stuck, and the pad is just plain corduroy, nothing like the old directional bristles. Also, when applying the cleaning fluid to the pad, the old design allowed for an even dispersion with just 2 or 3 drops. The new material, however, immediately absorbs the fluid (which now seems to be mostly alcohol) so it takes about 10 drops to get semi-even coverage. If you can find a non-RCA original Discwasher, buy it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - shame on you RCA, December 26, 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., February 14, 2009
Chewbaca (Peoria, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I was not really impressed with this at all. The older Disc washer 3 was softer and picked up small particles better. It was also easier to clean off after use. Plus, you could store the cleaning fluid in the body of the D3. It seems this product has been compromised to save on cost.

RCA RD-1006 Discwasher Vinyl Record Care System