Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

RCA RD-1006 Discwasher Vinyl Record Care System
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: One ColorChange
Price:$13.28+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 26, 2008
I bought this because my old discwasher from the seventies was falling apart. What a rip off! This does not have the fibers that point in one direction that actually pick up dust and dirt, like the original product. If you found this video review and demonstration informative, visit my web site and let me know. Thanks!
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2007
I recently revived my old stereo and hundreds of LP albums from the basement. There are many of these albums that never made it to CD, and I also wanted to see what people were talking about when they say that analog vinyl has a warmth that digital CDs do not. Now, a week later, I really do understand.

But with that warmth comes dust and dirt, which is not a problem for CDs. I remembered that back in the day the standard of excellence for disk cleaning was the Discwasher. I spent about an hour looking for my old one, gave up and bought a new one, now made by RCA.

The old company either went bankrupt or just sold out, but RCA has run this product into the ground - it's not what you remember. Now made in China, the wood handle is imprecisely cut so that the bottle no longer fits well inside. Instead, it gets lodged and took some time to dislodge. That's not a big issue however, but indicative of how the quality isn't what it used to be.

The real issue, however, is the cleaning pad. The old model had ridges of material that ran lengthwise to the handle, with the fibers angled so that they dug into the grooves and pulled out the dust, holding onto it. That's why it worked so well. What's the pad covered with now? It appears to be brown corduroy, with ridges, yes, but the fibers have no particular orientation. Thus, it does not dig into the grooves and does an even worse job of holding onto the dirt it does dislodge. I was almost going to give up on the new Discwasher as the results were so second rate.

I was very disappointed, but thought maybe my memory had built the old Discwasher into something Herculean that didn't match reality. Memory has a way of accentuating either the positives of negatives.

Well, today I found the old Discwasher, and let me tell you, if anything my memory didn't give the old product enough praise. I have now cleaned several LPs with the old one, and there's an absolute world of difference. The old one digs the dirt out and keeps it in the pad until you brush it out, completely unlike the one that RCA is peddling these days. The new one leaves a lot of dust on the disc no matter how carefully you roll the brush.

Shame on you RCA for exploiting and cheapening a venerable old brand. What would it have cost you to put the proper fabric on the pad as opposed to corduroy? Maybe 15 cents per item?? But then again I guess they get the corduroy clippings cheap from a GAP factory in China.

Yes, it looks like the Discwasher of old, but that's the extent of the resemblance. If you're looking for the Discwasher you remember, look in the basement; maybe you'll get really lucky like I did. Or, look on eBay, but do not look to RCA.

For those reviewers writing reviews based on the historic quality of this product - you haven't bought this new version. It really is remarkably inferior.

Shame on you RCA for what you've done to this product.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2007

Shame on you RCA for what you've done to this product.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2008
This is NOT the original! I was horribly disappointed with this purchase. Thankfully, I kept my original Discwasher and continue to use this 25+ year-old product over this new piece of junk!
on March 13, 2008
This is junk compared to the Discwasher that we all knew and used in the vinyl era. The name be the same but the product is essentially ineffective compared to the original. I'd suggest you try to find an old one somewhere but don't bother wasting money on this. I used it once and tossed it in the trash can. You can do better with a t-shirt. The pad is nothing like the pad on the original - it does NOT get into the record grooves. You can do as well with an old (clean) T shirt!
on July 30, 2007
This is horrible...what happen to discwasher? It doesn't do what it advertises...remove dirt....they mean pushes dirt around the grooves.
on September 19, 2008
The item pictured is the original Discwasher system. The item you get is the new one from RCA with a different handle and completely different material on the business side. And the new item is vastly inferior to the original. This used to be one of the best products out there, now I'm looking for other, better record cleaning solutions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2008
I completely concur with other reviewers who have compared this with the original made-in-USA Discwasher. The wood feels cheaply finished, the bottle gets stuck, and the pad is just plain corduroy, nothing like the old directional bristles. Also, when applying the cleaning fluid to the pad, the old design allowed for an even dispersion with just 2 or 3 drops. The new material, however, immediately absorbs the fluid (which now seems to be mostly alcohol) so it takes about 10 drops to get semi-even coverage. If you can find a non-RCA original Discwasher, buy it!
on December 26, 2006

on January 24, 2009
I recently purchased a new, what I though would be a "discwasher". I have previously owned the D3 discwasher system, and still have and use my D4 system, which was orignally marketed around 1981.

When I received my new "discwasher by RCA", #RD1006, the first thing I noticed was is, "What happen to the nice storage box it used to come with"? It now comes bubble packaged of course, with only a small cheap cloth bag for storage.

Under initial inspection, I noticed that the quality of the wood used for the handle, and mainly the pad, is quite poor and inferior, compared to the original discwasher, (that was made in Columbia Missouri, USA). Under futher, closer inspection of the pad, with high magnification, you will see that this new cleaner does not have the patented, unidirectional, micro-fiber cloth covering, that the original D4 cleaner had. Instead, what the new cleaner appears to have, is a "corduroy" pad cover, not unlike the (Levi) "Cords", I used to wear in the Seventies! The new pad material looks bundled, omnidirection, and does not look like it would be conducive to cleaning the micro-grooves of a vinyl record. Wether this new pad has been engineered, or actually works, I do not know, because I refuse to use it on my precious vinyl. I tried to find specfic information on this item, on the parent companies websites, but a search returned no results. Imagine that! This also brings into question, the quality of the D4+ fluid that now comes with it, from China.

This is sad but true testiment to the present condition of our ecomomy, as top quality, AMERICAN manufacturing has disappeared to overseas (Chinese mainly) inferior productions, due to economics, competition and greed, of many former, American companies. Globalization's noose is choking us in many ways. RCA was a great company, the "inventer and the innovator", and actually the manufacturer at one time, of many quality products. They used to produce some of the finest vacuum tubes made, a technology which still today reproduces some of the finest sound today. Now RCA is nothing but a sellout, only a label that Corporate croonies bought, to put on the junk they import from China. Shame on you! Shame on us!

P.S. I accept my share of the blame, as I work on the Waterfront, purchase some of these products, and am one of the many Longshoremen that unload these ships from China! We all have to eat!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...