Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 9, 2010
This seemed like a good product at first, reasonably priced, good looking, compact. But then after only using it for a few weeks, the CD drawer failed to open and wouldn't play anything. So I contacted the company and was sent instructions on how to possibly reset the system. No dice. Then I was sent instructions on how to return the unit for repair. I placed a note in the box with a copy of all the correspondence from RCA and asked for them to please return my CDs that were locked in the drawer due to the unit failure. It doesn't seem that difficult to me. You fix the unit, get the drawer open and take the CDs out and put them in the shipping box with the unit. But I was wrong. So in the end, it cost another $23 dollars to ship the unit to be repaired and and additional $40 to replace the CDs they couldn't manage to get back in the box. Save yourself hassle and money and buy another brand.
1010 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2010
Sound is okay. My complaint is, I chose this unit to be able to load 5 disks and shuffle amongst all 5. Nowhere on the box, or in the instructions, does it tell you that the unit will only shuffle play one disk at a time. To me this is misleading, as I have never owned a multi-disk unit for the car or the house, that didn't shuffle play among all disks that were loaded. If this isn't important to you, then this is a decent unit.
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2010
IT is not easy to change discs, and the remote does not let you punch in the number of the track, so if you want a track that is 20, you have to punch twenty individual times until it reaches that track.
on March 22, 2012
We purchased this unit just a few days ago. To test it, we did attach the two enclosed speakers, and yes, it sounded great! However, this is not the reason why we bought it! We bought this to play background music through our restaurants ceiling speakers, 12 of them to be exact! Oh, to make it even tougher, our restaurant is two floors with 6 speakers on each floor!

Now, we don't blast it like some night club. I will say that at volume setting 18 (out of 30) the sound through every speaker is much crisper than the Sony we just got rid of. Naturally, powering 12 speakers is going to suck out every watt the unit has to offer. I noticed very little volume change from setting 18 to maximum 30 which tells me that's all I'm going to get. That's okay! The volume is just right! It's loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough where customers would complain. So setting 18 is exactly where we want to keep it. Again I'll state the sound quality is very, very good despite the fact the ceiling speakers are nothing to write home about. No woofers. No tweeters. Just plain, bland ceiling speakers. Oh, another thing. We are not playing store bought CD's. We download our music from ITunes and make our own CD's. The stereo has played them all perfectly.

Now, we'll be running this CD changer for 11 hours a day, 7-days a week. At this point, I can say that we are pleased with the entire unit and it's performance. But we'll see! We'll continue to put it through this rigorous pace and see what happens. If issues occur, I'll update this review.

Update, 5/22/12: It's now been over 2 months of constant, 10-12 hours per day use, 7-days a week. I figure we've played this thing for nearly 750 hours since we got it. Not a single issue to complain about. It's been playing and operating perfectly.

Update, 8/16/12: 5 Months, now! I'm roughly calculating over 1700 hours of play. Perfect and totally reliable! This is still a 5-star purchase!
on December 19, 2010
I received this from Amazon on a Thursday, set it up and everything worked fine. Good sound, Ipod played, CD played. Next day, Friday, CD tray locked up with CD in it, CD would not read or play and none of the recommended troubleshooting methods work. The Ipod dock accepted my Ipod and functions worked but no sound. Based on other feedback, I am trying to figure out how to get the CD out before returning so I don't lose the CD in the process. Don't bother buying this or you will be sorry you did.
on October 15, 2011
I had a hard time deciding to buy this unit because there were 5 positive reviews and 5 negative reviews. Many claimed that the CD-changer breaks-down and swallows CD's - but my experience has been great! The CD-changer seems much improved over my earlier version of the RCA 5-CD-changer from 5 years ago! It is quiet and works well. To remove a CD, however, you may need to hit "Disk Skip" button on the remote, and this rotates the CDs around for removal. I'm betting some folks that claimed it "swallowed their CD" just did not read the manual about using this button to remove the CD's!

The iPod Dock works great - even with the new iPhone 4 and new Gen4 iTouch! This was info I could not verify in all the other reviews, so I hope this helps people who are considering this unit. I was also pleased to see that the remote control for the stereo can control the iPod functions! Very cool. I was also very pleased to see that RCA still includes the RCA-type (red, white) Aux-In jacks, and also a 1/8" headphone jack! Many manufacturers are leaving these details out. Additionally, RCA has added a 1/8" stereo Line-In jack as well. So there is plenty of I/O! I even used the jacks to amplify my iRig/Amplitube for the iPhone, and was jamming on my lelectic guitar right through the Aux-In. Sounded great!

I just received this unit this week, so I am hopeful it will hold-up to my experience this far! But it has everything I hoped for - and the sound is really good for a unit in this price range.
on December 23, 2010
My sister and I bought this unit for my 73 yr old mother even though the reviews were mixed. Should have listed to my inner voice and kept on walking. Unlike other who's unit lasted a week or so before breaking, ours lasted 12 hours! We loaded 5 disk into the tray, it played the first 4 and stopped. Since then nothing - drawer won't open and nothing will play. If you buy this unit, don't use if for the CD player. The sound quality is good, and the FM/AM reception is good. Did not check out the iPod dock. The wires for the speakers are not very long - maybe 4-5 feet.
on January 20, 2011
Product only lasted 4 hours after set-up. Couldn't get CDs out or do anything as unit appeared locked up. Pulled out power cord to reset as recommended in troubleshooting paragraph and box would not power back on. Returned product to where purchased and they tore it apart to get CDs out. Personnel at store stated that they are having a high failure rate with the product so BEWARE.
on January 9, 2012
This was a gift for my husband, who has 100's of cd's and likes them and wanted the multiple disc option. We have been searching for a while and this was exactly what he was looking for. The sound is awesome and the system is simple enough that even a technically challenge person, like me, can run it.
on February 1, 2012
I have a pretty extensive CD collection, and when my previous CD player started to skip here and there, I decided to get a new multi-CD player while they're still available and chose this one. (It's ridiculous that most players now on the market play only ONE CD at a time!) I ordered it, and meanwhile listed my old player on Craigslist. where it sold quickly. The new player arrived, and I was excited to set it up so I could listen to some new CDs I had recently purchased. I put the discs in the player, turned it on, and....nothing. I checked, double-checked, and triple-checked the connections, and they were fine. I read and re-read the instructions (which were very little help anyway), and found nothing there that would solve the problem. I tried the tuner, and again was met with silence - all this piece of junk did was turn on and show the lighted display...nothing else; apparently I had gotten a lemon.

Thanks to Amazon's excellent return policy I was able to send it back at no charge to me (which I appreciate, since it's HEAVY), but now I'm without any CD player at all. No, I won't order another one like this - I'll continue my search for one elsewhere, as I'm just not seeing them here on Amazon.