Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 21, 2011
This is a low quality entry level 5.1 home theatre/DVD player. It plays DVDs OK and comes with 5 incredibly cheezy speakers along with plenty of wire to string them around. The Optical input is not fully compatible with Windows S/PDIF output. It DOES NOT Support DTS input although it plays DTS DVDs ok (via conversion). It supports Dolby input ONLY at up to 48KHz on the optical input cable so be aware. It does not support optical PCM or DTS decoding.

The remote works fine and it does have composite outputs to properly render anamorphic and widescreen DVDs on an HD television. If all you want is a DVD player with better than stereo audio it's a good buy. If you expect to use as an SPDIF amplifier with windows, find another decoder.
on January 4, 2014
I have no clue why everybody else is complaining about this system breaking very easily, it's held up just fine for me and I've had it for over a month. It's nice and loud and clean sounding, great picture quality for just an AV video output, and it looks great. Very powerful receiver too, can possibly handle a 100W 10in sub at 4ohms.
on February 14, 2011
Got it in the mail super quick, opened it and set up the player...buttons didn't work. Had to get the remote to turn it on and work it. Sent it back. Looked like a good product but it ruined me from getting another one.
on February 9, 2011
Got this item 4 days ago and when I installed it the DVD door did not open. Tried several times and still was not opening. Very dissapointed. Returned the item back for a full refund.
on December 23, 2014
Since the day it arrived, it never functioned correctly. I followed the installation instructions to the letter, however, the product simply does not work as advertised. The sound is nowhere near 1000 watts. In fact, the native sound built into the television is louder and far more dynamic than this crap. The volume fluctuates from loud to soft at random and half the time you can barely hear anything.

When I ordered this products, I had doubts that it would deliver the performance that it advertised. However, I was simply not prepared for the atrocious performance it delivered. I would have been better off buying an old receiver from a yard sale, then trying to use this pathetic excuse of a "home theater" system.

I am so disgusted at the quality of this product, that I intend to alert as many people at as many sites as I can reach about my experiences. Should RCA even care about your customers, I recommend they cease selling this garbage and focus on quality or some semblance of it.
on March 28, 2014
Price was good made very cheap and it was not shielded properly, so you would get interference by other electronics, only works if you have a room that needs a very cheaply made stereo, and nothing but a TV in said room, if you have another DVD player or video game system, they will have to be turned off or you will get staitic and buzzing
on December 29, 2011
this system isn't the worst but definitively not the best. if you upgrade the center speakers and the sub woofer it would be ok.
on October 26, 2012
Buy another brand!
I have owned this RCA product for about 10 months and have only used to watch 4 movies. When it worked, it was fine. I keep my electronics in great condition, so human error was not a factor -I haven't dropped it, abused it, or plugged it in incorrectly.

Pros: (1) When it works, it's fine. Nice for home theater.

Cons: (1) It stopped working after a few months (in my case after the second movie). The dvd would play for 15secs-2 mins, then the screen would freeze and the tv would lose the input.
(2) When the unit freezes, all buttons on the DVD player do not work. The only way to unfreeze it, is to remove the power cord and plug it back in. Plugging it back in doesn't guarantee it will work. After multiple freezes, I have managed to watch only 4 movies to completion in the 10 months.
(3) The surround system is useless once the DVD player is broken. No other standalone DVD player will accommodate the primitive wiring of the speakers. You would have to buy another surround sound system.
(4) Other customers have also complained about how it stops working suddenly. There has to be a manufacturing defect. Please read ALL the reviews on this product before you buy it. Observe how many people comment that it stops working suddenly.

Save your money! Don't buy any RCA home theater systems.
on July 25, 2012
The RCA DVD Home Theater System is a great product for the price. For $70, this is a great system. I can't really say how the DVD player works. I use it as the receiver, and nothing more, as I use my PS3 and Xbox 360 to watch films. I even bought my son one for his room, and he couldn't be happier. Look, if you have a small room, why spend $100+ for surround sound? This sounds better than I expected. You only need to adjust the settings. Just adjust by the ear until it sounds the best. Everybody's opinion is different. You can also buy a specialized DVD and adjust the sound that way. The wire to the back speakers are about 25 feet long. It was long enough to run along the baseboards for us, but room sizes differ. I recommend measuring first, and figure out how everything could be hooked up. If you absolutely can't, buy extra speaker wire, unless you want the wiring to show. I recommend this system. It's cheap and the sound is as good as the more expensive 5.1 systems.
Positives:
Great for small rooms.
Has a toslink input.
Cheap price, decent sound.
Wire that's included was long enough.
Negatives:
No HDMI output.
May not be powerful enough for larger rooms
on January 19, 2013
Since it was used, I don't have much to say about packaging and cleanliness - they could be better. All parts arrived and upon testing all work. Sound control is a bit lacking - you can't put it lower than 55-60 dB. Also I had to take each speaker volume by -10 dB (fortunately there is a control for that) to make woofer stand out more. Otherwise looks fine and plays fine. A lot of mid-tones. Slight white noise when nothing is playing. Has aux input and display dimmer. I haven't tried it yet with classical music but rock sounds ok.