5.0 out of 5 stars A great little voice recorder
Published 19 months ago by James Hicks

Published on February 9, 2011 by Eddie H Ziv

3.0 out of 5 stars Good & Functional but controls are confusing and it's power hungry, February 9, 2011
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
The RCA VR5330R 2GB Digital Voice Recorder is a good device overall and can carry you throughout a day of studying with no problem. It takes time to get use to the controls which can be confusing, but the sound quality is good and clear. The unit comes with it's own software that allows you to listen to the recording on your computer. THe file format however, is proprietary so you cannot download it to your iPod (There are some software on the market to convert this type of format if so you chose). Be sure to transfer the recorded files to your computer prior to listening. The RCA VR5330R is a one power-hungry beast and can go through batteries pretty fast. My suggestion would be to use rechargeable batteries. It is more environmental friendly and can save you money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, drains battery, September 23, 2011
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
The product is easy to use and records well. However, even when in the "off" position, it still displays the time and thus drains the battery. I have to take the batteries out when it's not in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little voice recorder, December 29, 2012
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
I bought two of these to replace our aging Olympus recorders (actually... I bought them to replace our replacements, but that's another story). I bought these for ghost hunting, and I chose this model because it records in WAV format where most recorders seem to be moving toward MP3. However it only records in WAV when recording in HQ (High Quality) mode, which is fine for me because that's all I use. In the lower quality modes it records in VOC format.

Recording time depends on what mode you're using. LP (Long Play) gives you a whopping 808 hours of recording time, though the quality is very low. SP (Standard Play) gives you about 140 hours of recording time and is suitable for most users. HQ will give you about 68 hours, which is more than enough for what we need it for.

The microphone sensitivity is adjustable, and those familiar with other audio recorders should be aware that Dictation Mode is comparable to the Low setting, while Conference Mode is comparable to High.

The quality of construction is very good and it appears that these will last us for some time. We only hope that they last as long as our old Olympus recorders which have seen over 100 investigations over seven years, and have seen plenty of abuse and are still going strong. To help make that happen, the carrying case included with this item is nice. It's well-padded, well-made and durable, and should help keep our recorders in good condition for a very long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not record in MP3 format, March 27, 2011
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
Sound quality is good and usb connection is convenient, but I was disappointed that it does not record in MP3 format, but in some other goofy proprietary format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good voice recorder, October 11, 2011
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
I purchased this for my college spanish class, to help me record parts of the clase that I seem to keep missing, due to very fast dialoge. It has been very helpful. It records well from right up front and in the back of the class too with the conference setting. I would recomend this for any student needing to record a class. I have yet to download it on to my computer, but still have plenty of space left on the recorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars RCA Digital Voice Recorder, December 29, 2010
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
Shipping took several weeks which I thought was over-long. (I did order it just before Black Friday.) I bought the DVR for my 7 year old daughter's voice lessons. We've only used it a couple of times, but so far it seem's user-friendly and the voice quality is good enough for our purposes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only fair sound quality for the price. USB connect not for Macs., March 4, 2013
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
Frankly, for a recorder at this price level, I expected better sound quality. Fidelity is not much better than static-free AM radio. It picks up sound clearly at 15 to 20 feet. I find the controls easy to use after a bit of practice.One reviewer recommended removing the batteries when not in use as they will drain quickly otherwise, but I haven't found this to be the case. I've had the original non-alkaline cheapies that came with the unit installed for a month & I'm still at 2/3 power with occasional use. I'm sure alkalines will do even better. Maybe he neglected to turn it off so only the time shows; it will otherwise remain in "standby" mode which WILL consume much more power.

It has mini-RCA jacks for both mic & earphone which is useful (using a mic DOES improve fidelity). The lock mechanism is a nice touch to prevent turning it on by accident, and the carry case is also a small plus. I selected this model because it has a built-in USB connector, but as a Mac user, it is useless to me. Available software is for PC only, so to download files to me computer I need to first convert them to MP3 using my digital music recorder ... not worth the trouble.

Although it works fine, I have to deduct 1 star for the lack of Mac compatibility, and another 1 star for only very average sound quality that could have and should have been better. The recorder does not have a pocket-clip, nor does the carry case have a belt-loop, which means this is a hand-hold/carry item. A slight inconvenience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst voice recorder, February 14, 2013
Valorie Osterman (Woodinville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
In the last 8 years, my family has purchased 7 or 8 different voice recorders and this RCA VR5330R is the worst of them all. We needed another voice recorder and I stupidly bought this one without reading reviews. I ordered an Olympus a week later. Here's why:
* Playback is unshielded which means that when I listen to this recorder in my car, all I hear is the 60-cycle hum. Since my car is where I listen to most things, this makes the recorder useless for me.
* Sound quality isn't very good. It's probably fine for dictation but not for recording singing which is my primary use.
* Records in VOC which is a format not used much anymore. In this day and age, I didn't expect to buy a mass-market voice recorder and not have it work on my computer. Having to find the CD to install their proprietary software is not a reasonable expectation in 2008 much less 2013. You can use the menu to change it to WAV but as I scroll through the menu, I seem to accidentally change it back to VOC.
* In order to change folders, you have to scroll through the _entire_ menu. This is a good 10-15 seconds each time.
* Controls are generally hard to use. There's too much that the menu/info button does while the rest of the buttons are single use.
* I got fewer than 10 hours of recording and 30 minutes of playback out of a new set of Duracell electronics batteries. My Olympus recorders generally get well over 60 hours of record time with 4 hours of playback.

This is not worth the money for what I need.

Even if you need a simple dictation machine, there are cheaper and better models out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery drain, May 10, 2012
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
This is a good little digital recorder. Small, good audio quality, good sound pick-up (up to about 15 feet). However, do NOT leave the batteries in it when not in use. The display will drain the two AAA batteries within a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this, June 9, 2013
This review is from: RCA VR5330R 2GB USB Digital Voice Recorder (Electronics)
Got this for my interpersonal communications class and I'm glad I did. It's easy to use and it is very easy to edit recordings. True you can get free programs on your computer that do the same thing, but I really like the portability of it (I can't always take my computer in another room to record when my son is being a loud happy baby :) ) It plugs right into the usb port which is very convenient also. I like that there are separate folders to put your recordings in. Very useful.

Rate and Discover Movies