5.0 out of 5 stars And, there was much happiness...
I'm not normally a fan of SATA drives, I've worked extensively with SAS/SCSI drives for servers/etc for the last 20 years and only used ATA/SATA when required.
Still, I've had some projects come up recently where the only option was SATA and high capacity was required.

Published on March 8, 2011 by Matthew Marlowe

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this drive from XBRdepot on Amazon!
Published on December 28, 2011 by Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars And, there was much happiness..., March 8, 2011
Matthew Marlowe (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews

After some bad experiences with the WDC Cavier Black 2TB, I gave the RE4 a try. It's been great. I've now had 5 of them running for the last six months and the SMART monitoring reports still show the drives as in almost new condition...no errors, no need for sector changes, no unusual increases of load cycle counts, etc. Performance has also been very good....surprisingly good for a mere 7200rpm device. Not to mention, the drives seem to work nicely in both software and hardware raid. I'll probably end up buying another 5 of them soon.

I'll be very happy if I can keep the failure rate to under 4%/yr....this historically is a good rate for SATA/ATA.

I'm not sure what to think about WDC.....I generally prefer seagate, but the RE4 drives certainly seems to be able to back up its claim as an enterprise SATA drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Daddy with huge cache, March 23, 2010
I was skeptical at first.

But I bought two, and put in a RAID1 mirror config, in a 8-drive raid box with 2 x multilane infiniband interfaces and a RocketRaid card.

The 64MB cache is noticeable, totally. It is not hype. On average, I get 100MB/sec copying across a gigabit network in the LAN from one machine to this RAID volume. In a similar test (using the same source machine, to a volume of 750GB AAKS', I get ~82MB/sec across the wire. Again, the cache is noticeable in my tests.

I am amazed at the quality of this drive.

I recommend these drives to anyone who needs to use a RAID config, and needs capacity, and reliability.

I only use WD, period.

I currently own 46 hard drives, all WD.

The only WD hard drive I ever had fail, was a green 750GB one.

The older AAKS series was phenomenal, and these are the new ones to get!

(I have had drives fail a great deal using other manufacturers)

appdevman

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Performer at a Fair Price, January 29, 2011
P. Levine (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a Seagate backup drive that lacked enough room for drive images. The WD5003 is quiet and speedy and comes with a 5-year Enterprise warranty. No problems with it at all.

Buyers have been complaining about Amazon's poor bare-drive packaging in many of the reviews I've read. However, this drive was packaged properly in a box of its own made by WD, with plastic end caps suspending the drive over the bottom of the box. This package was put in another box with the rest of the items I ordered and a couple of air pillows. Perhaps Amazon has listened to the well-founded complaints and revised their bare-drive shipping accordingly. Then again, it might only apply to this particular hard drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this drive from XBRdepot on Amazon!, December 28, 2011
Do not buy this drive from XBRdepot. For starters, this is the cheaper WD1502FYPS RE4-GP drive and the drives they sent me were pulled out of an external enclosure, model WDBAAU0015HBK-NESN which is the WD Elements Desktop. That drive carries a 1-year warranty as opposed to the 5-year warranty these drives should carry by the model number this vendor is trying to sell. CHECK YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS ON WD's WEBSITE AS SOON AS YOU GET THE DRIVES!!! This will ensure you have received the proper drives and allow you to fix the problem before you are stuck with them. Don't be a victim of fraud!

{...}

1.0 out of 5 stars Test your New HDD before using it, September 27, 2012
R. Lloyd (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
I installed the HDD, initialized it under Win 7/64bit and ran Western Digital's Data LifeGuard (from their website as a free download). Drive passed SMART test and short test. I then ran the extended test twice. Both times, the test aborted due to an excessive number of bad sectors. I returned drive and asked amazon to send a replacement.

The replacement drive was sent with NO protective packaging and their shipping method did NOT meet Western Digital's requirements for shipping hard drives. I posted picture of how drive was shipped. The drive is on its way back. A third drive has been ordered.

I'll update review when I receive and test third drive.

EDIT 27Nov2012: The third drive passed all WD LifeGuard tests, was installed into the new desktop, and has been operating perfectly. This third drive has a "5 star rating".

4.0 out of 5 stars fast and reliable but amazon shipped me a non-new disk, May 2, 2012
I ordered 4 (amazon prime fulfilled) and one of the disks appears to be refurbished, not new. It was not packaged in a WDC factory box and when I try to register it with WDC the page says "No Limited Warranty". The other 3 came in an original factory box and I was able to register the 5 year warranty. Whenever you receive a drive you should register the warranty to make sure it is fully covered -- 5 years for RE4s. I own 26 of these drives (12 bought from amazon) and like them. But shame on amazon for pulling a trick like this.

Amazon is sending a replacement and it should arrive very shortly. Assuming it is a new drive I will revise this review and update the rating.

Update: I received a new replacement drive and was able to register the 5 year warranty.

This drives are fast for a SATA II drive. In a 6 drive RAID 6 configuation using a 4805SAS 8CH Sas Raid Ctlr Sgl Pcie 256MB Sas/sata/sataii HD Rohs controller (write-through with battery option) I get 360-380 MB/seconds R/W as measured with the ATTO Bench 32 program.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD RE4 Drives Rule, May 15, 2011
This review is from: WD RE4 1 TB Enterprise Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD1003FBYX (Personal Computers)
Western Digital RE4 drives are the best bang for your buck regardless of capacity period! When I build a desktop computer, and I have built many, I utilize WD RE4 drives exclusively. Enterprise class drives just can't be beat. The 5 year warranty speaks for itself. The only way I could be made happier would be if Western Digital would make a 6Gb version. These 3Gb drives, when utilized as primary drives, boot quickly with their 64MB of cache and I have yet to receive a DOA unit when bought through Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little drives - work out of the box, June 21, 2011
Purchased these drives for a RAID 1 array paired with a Synology 211 NAS.Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS211 (White) These drives have the TLER function for running in a RAID array and are listed as compatible and recommended by Synology. The failure rate of these drives are extremely low because they are < 1TB (larger drives tend to have higher failure rates at the time I am writing this review). Also, since these are part of the Enterprise line of hard drives, the MTBF is considerably higher than the consumer class drives. Perfect for a NAS with precious files!!!

Consistency/Parity check and S.M.A.R.T. check passed no problem on two drives purchased. Each drive arrived in a cardboard box (sealed with packaging tape). Inside each box was a single drive inside of sealed anti-static packaging, with plastic risers encasing the drive so it wouldn't bang around during transit. I wish every drive shipped this way! No screws, cables, etc.. didn't need them. If you do, be sure to order some!

1.0 out of 5 stars NO Warranty - Amazon claims 5 years, July 17, 2014
As mentioned in other reviews, if you buy this hard drive be sure to verify that the advertised 5 year warranty is valid. The one I received was not packed like other new Western Digital drives I have purchased, so I immediately suspected it being not as represented. The Western Digital website correctly identified the drive from the serial number and listed the complete specification. However, they indicated NO warranty. I immediately repackaged it and and returning it.

1.0 out of 5 stars USED DRIVES!!!, September 19, 2014
These are USED Drives!!! The listing is marked as new, they come packaged "OEM" style but the package seems home made and not factory. The contacts seem discolored just like when they have been exposed to the air. I bought 2 drives and after doubting their "NEW" condition I ran a SMART check on them 1 drive has about 6800 hours that like 285 days of non stop up time and the other is 1000 hours!!