Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: RECOVERED - Journeys through the Autism Spectrum and Back - A film by Dr. Doreen Granpeesheh and Michele Jaquis
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 7, 2012
I have a child who is 5 and on the spectrum. he is succeeding and doing very well. watching this is like watching my son. he went through all those things and seeing those children succeed and live normal lives brings joy and hope that my son will too. we have to love our children and help them no matter what doctors say and think. thats exactly what these parents did. they had hope and with help their children have succeeded. great job.
on June 17, 2012
As a father of a 4-year-old who is autistic, this video for me was kind of hard to watch. Why? Because the sample children weren't exactly representative of my son. He doesn't speak, but knows what I am saying because he goes to a special autism school set up by the school district, and because my wife and I work with him everyday in addition to taking him to extra speech therapy in an attempt to get speech going. Sometimes verbal doesn't show up as fast as other kids, it may not show up at all, but there is a person in there. This movie only picked the kids as examples who could already speak. What about the children who don't have the physical speech yet, and communicate in other ways like sign language, or speech aids like ipads to make them less frustrated because they can actually interact with the world? This movie openly dismissed those modes of communication outright as inferior, or as one of the parents put it in the film, "a form of babysitting", which I found kind of disturbing. Also, the film was really focused on IQ numbers as a form of "recovery". I work with plenty of non-autistic people who have really high IQ's, and they are idiots. Not really a good measure to simply base normalcy on IQ scores.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2015
This film is really a promotional video for the CARD group. That's fine; but don't expect a representative sample of autistic children and an in depth look at ABA. the kids featured all have some language ability before ABA. their STEM behaviors are very mild. We are shown a little sampling of ABA sessions but not enough to educate the audience. I'm happy for these families but disappointed in the content overall.
on July 27, 2014
Autism is neurological. It is a difference in brain structure and wiring. It has nothing to do with chemicals or hormones, as in mental illness. There is no "cure" for autism, only ways to make living with the condition more successful. When methods are in place to cope more successfully, autistics are able to use their strengths more effectively. Autistics do have unique strengths that we would not have if we were "cured." Even in severe cases, we are more detail oriented than most and our concentration is more intense than most. These two traits alone can help us excel in areas neurotypicals cannot. So, it's not that the video gives false hope that life can get better- just a misguided view of what to hope for and why.
on June 29, 2013
We just found out our 19 month old son is on the spectrum. This is the first video we watched and it not only gave us a lot of information about the ABA therapy but it also gave us hope that with enough therapy he can be taken off the spectrum at some point.
on February 27, 2015
This movie was very enlightening. As a grad student enrolled in Adolescence Special Education program I learned a lot about ABA intervention and how it can help students with Autism “recover.” Before watching this documentary I did not believe students could actually “recover” from autism. I believed students would be able to obtain strategies to help them learn the way their brain works and the best way they can learn. Watching the stories of the four children grow up using ABA intervention especially starting at a younger age; really opened my eyes to think maybe it is true. You can recover from autism with the right help. This documentary was inspiring to me; I would love to have the feeling of the teachers that helped the students learn and see the progress they created in one life.
on December 11, 2013
This movie is just great. I got an up and personal view of applied behavioral analysis. If any parent is considering ABA for their child this is a must see video.
on July 18, 2013
A must watch for those parents searching for good answers and real stories. Dr. Doreen is really amazing, we enjoyed her explanations, especially the pointers she gives to consider for progress.
on September 14, 2014
It's pretty good. But, will never be really cured. You can significantly improve us, but, that's not the same thing. Therefore, it provides, a somewhat, inaccurate final result.
on March 10, 2014
I thought this would provide concrete skills for helping kids with autism. Instead it was a series of vignettes on families dealing with autism and how much their ABA therapist helped them. But as far as specific techniques on how to help, there was nothing.