5.0 out of 5 stars Can't sleep... can't do anything but read!
Published on May 7, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars More like a 3.5
It's probably strange to give only a 3.5 when I find myself wanting to buy the next book in the series so badly after I finish the previous one. I've actually read the first three now, but am, honestly, only placing a review here because of the Amazon reminder email.

Published on September 6, 2012 by dv8mad

3.0 out of 5 stars More like a 3.5, September 6, 2012

If you have read the first, this book follow pretty much directly after, to continue the story of Dex and Perry (plus family).

While I do find myself very much into the books themselves, I am fairly consistently "brought out" of the fantasy world in my head as I come across grammatical errors and sometimes even some of the of editing itself. <== (That's an example of some of the things you will find.)

Having to go back and reread to ensure you have full understanding really grinds things to a halt. I should note that, while there were less errors in this book than the first (or third for that matter), there were actually still edited sections left in such as fully crossed out words that just went without deletion.

I am enjoying the series so thoroughly, that I have actually fought the urge to attempt to contact the author and offer free editing services. While I am not a professional editor, I am a fairly voracious reader and could certainly help clean things up a bit more. I'm sure there are lots of other readers out there thinking the same thing. I hope that the author will do her best to clean things up a bit more in future volumes.

Overall, the series has it's weak points... Times in which you know one single sentence would have been all it took to work things out and to avoid the disastrous results. How both characters can be so intelligent, and yet, seem to have no sense of how things may play out if they don't do a certain thing, sometimes seems forced.

Still, the atmosphere, the story itself and the overall character personality of the series, continues to tempt me to come back for more.

I will probably be buying the 4th book in the series in the near future, and I continue to hope for the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't sleep... can't do anything but read!, May 7, 2012
I am obsessed! I just read 1, 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 since last week. I logged on to get 5, but alas I must function as a responsible adult without a kindle addiction until the 13th. Agony. I don't usually post reviews, but I have to RAVE about this series. I thought the first book was going to be lame due to the "ghost hunter" angle. Boy, was I wrong. The characters draw you in, even when they are being complete jerks. The storytelling is flawless. You will not be sorry if you get this one. Well, unless you want to continue to have a life of your own. lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars ahh, I love a good sequel, February 1, 2012
This follow up to the fantastic Darkhouse has all the elements that made the first book so much fun while generating a completely different feel.

Following hot on the heels of the first novel, this book takes a departure from the cold and damp climes of the Pacific Northwest for the beautiful yet hauntingly solitary plains and mountains of New Mexico. The pilot episode of Experiments In Terror wasn't exactly as great as Dex and Perry were hoping it to be but the germ of potential in the series is enough to send the intrepid and oftentimes at odds duo to a ranch in New Mexico where a couple have been dealing with strange goings on for some time. Inexplicable rock showers pelting their home, livestock dying, strange animals gaining entry into the house. Perry and Dex go into the adventure being non believers. What they come out as, however, is something entirely different.

As I said, all the elements that were in the first book are back again in full force. Perry's funny musings and inner thoughts. Check. Dex's wildly unpredictable behavior. Check. Perry wanting to jump all over Dex one moment and wanting to strangle him the next. Check.

This book however has a more malevolent feel to it. There's a larger supporting cast in New Mexico and some of them are pretty creepy. Also, the pacing is quicker. There is still Perry's 'sixth' sense in that she has odd dreams that are almost prophetic, but the baddies are more actively pursuing her and as a result, there's more action in this book.

In addition, thanks to an interesting new character (hopefully a repeat?) from Dex's college and cover band past, we gain insight into why Dex doesn't seem to have his feet firmly planted on the ground more often than not.

But what would the series really be if without possibly the most important aspect: The development of Dex and Perry's 'relationship' (or non-relationship to coin the phrase by some more clever reviewers that have come before me)? Without the tug and pull of the relationship aspect the book wouldn't have quite as much personality and it's still there in spades. Halle moves things along but keeps them delightfully vague and unresolved which is fine by me. I think some of the magic of this series (or early on in any series that plans to run for more than just a book or two or even three) is the agonizingly yet totally entertaining slow pacing of the relationship aspect. After all, we can be entertained and spooked out by ghosts and goblins and poltergeists, but we can RELATE to the relationships, especially when they're new and uncertain. Halle has a rock solid (no pun intended) grasp on that aspect and that as much as anything keeps you turning the pages.

Wonderful series! I'm off to read 'The Benson'. Brand-y new, but takes place between this and novel number 3. Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Fun!, April 3, 2012
This is the 2nd book in The Experiment in Terror series, and so far this series only gets better and better. I felt really bad for Perry as her life has seemed to have taken a down turn, she loses her job and has to lie to her parent to keep the peace. The bright spot in her life is Dex and the internet show they work on together. The show takes Perry and Dex to New Mexico right in the middle of the dessert. Navajo myths abound and while I'm not big on Native American mythos, I found this really interesting.
I was pulled into this story, not just because of the paranormal aspect but the budding romance between Perry and Dex, or what I hoped becomes romance. I think these two would make a cute couple.

I think Perry and Dex grow some in this book as they both deal with a lot. While I want to see them grow and mature, I hope it doesn't effect their attitude to much because I love their snarky back and forth commentary.
You get a small look into Dex's background in this book, yet Perry's is still hinted at and tiptoed around. But this does help explain the way Dex acts.
Ms Halle did a great job with this book, even though I never was really interested in Native American myths I found myself pulled in wanting to know more. There's a bit of a mystery with this book, I really wanted to know who was behind the "haunting". I kind of figured it out before the end, but had to finish the book because I was just that enthralled by everything. Ms Halle weaves an excellent story I can't wait to read more of this addictive series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supernaturally Into You, April 20, 2012
First Line: "The parched air swarmed furiously with sky-seeking embers that spanned the spectrum of orange and yellow."

I absolutely love this series! It's addicting and awesome! I haven't really read a scary ghost book in a long time and these books have the right ingredients to be a bit of everything. They're funny, they're sometimes scary, and they got a bit of romance in them, what more could a girl ask for?

Dex and Perry are both great characters and compliment each other well. Dex is welll, he's crazy, but in a good way. And Perry is the snarky heroine who is a little insecure and is unsure about her life.

I'm not sure how I'd rate this next to the first one. I kind of think I liked the first one better. Mostly because I didn't like the location of this one, it came off as boring to me.

But the way they talk to each other and poke fun is one of the best parts of the book.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You're not going to murder me in my sleep are you?"
"Maybe," he said, not smiling. "It'll be easy to do since we'll be sharing the same bed. I expect you'll put out now."

He looked at me, mouth shut and taught.

I assumed he was kidding but there was always that tiny part of me who never knew what to believe. I swallowed hard and turned my attention to the landscape that was becoming more rugged and blistering as we drove on.

Out of the corner of my eye, I eventually caught Dex grinning. Of course it was a joke.

I felt like this might be the longest weekend of my entire life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So yes, great book, great characters, amazing plots, and ghosts. Creepy clown lady ones. And coyotes.
You have to get your hands on this series, it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Horror Series! Must Read!, January 15, 2012
GENRE: Paranormal Romance/Horror
THEME: Shifters/Ghost
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
SITE: Http://seeingnight.blogspot.com

REVIEW:
After reading the first of the Experiment in Terror Series by Karina Halle, I was just craving more about the ghost hunting pair Perry and Dex. Darkhouse ended with a bang and Red Fox started off with one, I absolutely enjoyed the second installment.

Red Fox follows the ghost-hunting duo Perry and Dex, this time they are trying to keep their supernatural show going, so they take a trip to New Mexico to see about a possible poltergeist. Little do they know that ghost aren't the only thing to be afraid of. Shifters and supernatural occurrence seem to keep following Perry and being more violent this time around.

I really enjoyed the Navajo storyline and the shaman culture, I've always been fascinated by it. It was also great to see how Perry and Dex would do pretending to be a married couple, for the benefit of the Christian Navajo couple that they were staying with. Their relationship was a mix of hilarious moments and lots of jealousy, which I enjoyed immensely. What I also liked was digging deeper into Dex's mysterious past, by introducing an old "friend" of his, who seems to have a soft spot for Perry.

Perry was better than ever and really having to watch her back at every moment because it seemed like anything and everything was after her. She was a lot stronger and really wanted to dig deep into the mystery behind the supernatural occurrence with the couple.

Once again Halle captivated me with her writing and unforgettable characters, I hope to read many more adventures with her ghost hunting gang and that more creepy stories are to come. I felt that Red Fox wasn't as scary as Darkhouse but I loved that it was a different paranormal element, having them go on a different mysterious adventure every time is more exciting. Overall I highly recommend the Experiment in Terror series!

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a mature young adult / adult story with very scary situations and fantastic mystery. I highly recommend this to fans of horror and paranormal enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The desert seems to suit you, Mr. Cash." - Karina Halle, November 26, 2011
CRISTY "Mommy of twins" (Bluffton, SC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RED FOX (Paperback)
Another wild ride from Karina Halle, RED FOX (Experiment in Terror #2) does not disappoint as so many sequels tend to do. I quickly became a fan of this series after winning the first book, DARKHOUSE from goodreads, which I absolutely loved and upon completing immediately went online and ordered the next two books.

Although RED FOX is a totally different tale, it's still in the same thrilling and blood pumping vein of horror as its predecessor. With a chance at their own internet web show Dex and Perry's new partnership as paranormal investigators takes them to investigate strange goings on in the Navajo world of Red Fox, New Mexico.

And even though it's not completely necessary to read the first book before checking out RED FOX in terms of plot, I'd still highly recommend reading DARKHOUSE first; not only because it's an amazing read (which it is) but also because it is where Dex and Perry first meet and where we get to see and feel their chemistry first flare and their often awkward and less than conventional relationship start to form. Most importantly it's where we as the reader first fall in love with them as individuals and as a pair; and trust me if you appreciate characters with some quirk and color, you will fall in love with this troublesome duo.

Halle's skillful writing and ability to completely immerse the reader in Dex and Perry's world, grabbed me with book one and still has yet to let go. I'm so ready to see where their next adventure takes them in book #3, DEAD SKY MORNING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Fox Review, October 8, 2011
This review is from: RED FOX (Paperback)
Red Fox started right where Darkhouse left off. Perry and Dex were awaiting to hear the fate of their new ghost hunting internet show. Once they found out that the show was a go, they started off on an adventure in New Mexico. While there they came across some things that they could never have expected. The adventure truly makes Perry and Dex become closer and put all their trust in each other.

When I finished Darkhouse I was left wanting to know more about Perry and Dex -- their ghost adventures and their relationship. I found myself relating to Perry and her anxious ways -- trying to figure out what she was doing in life, not being completely self confident, etc. I also began liking Dex more and more even though you can never really figure him out. While I was reading Red Fox I found myself wanting Perry and Dex to get together. The build up of tension between the two kept escalating and there were honestly points where I wanted them to do "it" and get it over with!

This new adventure that Karina Halle wrote for Perry and Dex was packed full of suspense and action. It was completely unexpected. I truly didn't know what they were actually dealing with and if any of the ranchers were in on what was happening. I kept going back and forth about whether or not they could trust anyone they were dealing with while filming. The ending was a surprise and I was left feeling creeped out about what the duo had just experienced.

In the end I liked Red Fox a lot more than Darkhouse. The characters were more developed and the ghost hunting was a lot more exciting. I can't wait to read Dead Sky Morning and find out what happens with Perry and Dex and what their next adventure will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Addictive Thrills, June 23, 2011
Tami M. (Santa Monica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The second installment of the Experiment in Terror series takes our perplexing and troublesome pair, Perry and Dex to a small town in New Mexico, where strange happenings on a ranch have been frightening the couple who own it.

I wrote in my review of the first book in the series Darkhouse, that the supernatural plot fell short of the strong characters, and budding relationship of Perry and Dex. (Please read that review for a more detailed review of my thoughts on the main characters) Not so with Red Fox. A legend rooted in mystical tradition (Navajo) is ripe and thrilling territory to explore, and for some reason very authentically frightening to me as a reader. But this book is not a dry study in Native American mythology, There are no deep revelations or answers about the Navajo legend of Skinwalkers here. Perry and Dex are not anthropologists, symbologists, or paranormal experts. They are winging it, and are on a whirlwind adventure, and we readers are along for the terrifying ride.

The taught pacing left me breathless at times, head spinning. The desert setting lends a beautiful but ascetical landscape that is bound to conjure surrealistic imagery and visions. The fresh cast of characters, some evil some honorable, are vivid and believable.

The swift pacing only lets up to give us room to breath, and to explore the burgeoning relationship of our two complex characters. An enticing bit of backstory delivered by an exciting new character from Dex's past, brings to light only a small peek at the psychology behind the mysteriously walled off love interest. Our heroine protagonist shows physically what tough stuff she's made of, all the while becoming more emotionally vulnerable.

It is the teasing way, of parsing out little rewards, and a constant push pull tension between Perry and Dex, that the author maddeningly addicts her readers to this series. And I freely admit I am addicted, in the best possible way. October and book 3 seem too faraway.

5.0 out of 5 stars I HOPE THIS SERIES NEVER ENDS, June 21, 2011
Let me say I was not 100% if I could really get into a supernatural story/series... but I was hooked within the first few chapters (again) - which speaks words for how well the story is written. As with Darkhouse (first book in the series), Red Fox has a way of making me believe in the superantural aspects.
The main characters Perry & Dex did not disappoint - I could feel the chemistry between these two!
I usually go for non fiction crime genre when it comes to books and Red Fox felt just like that... as if it were a true story and that the author had experienced everything in the story(gosh I hope she didn't go through that!!)
Now the anxious wait for the 3rd book.
(Side Note - my name does not relate to the author in any way - we just share the same name!)

RED FOX
RED FOX by Karina Halle (Paperback - March 24, 2012)
$12.00 $10.80