Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on April 6, 2005
If you are planning to use, or have been considering trying, Steve Murray's Reiki Attunement DVDs...you need this book. This text works fine as an introductory Reiki manual when read by itself alone, even without trying the author's video Attunements. But if you definitely plan to use his Attunement program, or are wondering if you should try it, I absolutely recommend reading Murray's guide book first. And if your first Reiki Attunement will be Murray's, this Guide is a must. If you're new to Reiki like myself, you will need to read it through twice. Read it once before you take your 1st Level Attunement, & then read it a second time afterwards while you're experimenting with the Reiki. Because after you receive the 1st Attunement--it becomes like reading two different books. The first time through, you'll understand the material on an intellectual, theoretical level. On the second pass, once you're attuned to Reiki & working with it, you'll understand the contents in a whole new light, from the inside & at a far greater depth.

If you have already taken Steve Murray's Attunements by video & were left curious or confused about what it was he was doing during your Attunement process--this book will show you in very clear verbal & pictorial step-by-step detail exactly what the author was doing behind the scenes in order to attune you to Reiki. It also explains & depicts what steps you will need to take to pass on Reiki Attunements, should you eventually choose to become a Reiki Master yourself. Unlike any other author, Murray pulls out all the stops, cuts to the chase, & "lets you inside the machine" to take a good look around, so to speak. I have yet to see this same material presented or approach taken in any other Reiki book available.

Steve Murray has an excellent talent for simplifying & clarifying what can be an intensely abstract & complex topic, making the material easily understood & assimilated by the neophyte. His delivery comes from a practical, straightforward stand point--with neither the egotistical elitism, nor the control freak power grip, that sadly seems to plague this field. The goal of this manual, as with the corresponding Attunement videos, is to prepare you with the essentials in order to get you up & running with Reiki quickly. And I can verify first hand that they can & will do exactly that. If you want to absorb Reiki theory in-depth & fill in some of the gaps, you might enjoy reading William Rand's "Reiki: The Healing Touch" following Murray's guide book. But if you want to become attuned to Reiki & get busy with it immediately, Steve Murray's "Reiki: The Ultimate Guide" & his Attunement program comes with my highest recommendation. Murray delivered what he promises, & I was able to obtain tangible results very quickly. Reiki "tech support" is made available by e-mail by the instructor himself. So far as I know, there is no other Attunement by distance program quite like this one out there. All of Murray's materials have been money well spent. This has truly changed me, at a very fundamental level.
0Comment127 of 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2004
Whether you are a novice or a Master, this book is for you!
I am a Reiki Master of direct Usui lineage trained in Reiki before I found Steve Murray's book. I was extremely pleased and surprised when I read it! While there is nothing to replace the actual 'hands-on' relationship of a Teacher and Student, or a Practitioner and Client, this book is the 'next best thing.' Instead of just a casual reference book, it is amazing in its quality of writing and information contained. It coincided almost exactly with the history , training, and actual attunements I had received through my own Reiki Teacher.
Murray makes available to all, through this book, the Way of Reiki, at a reasonable and affordable price. What was once shrouded in mystery and exorbitantly paid for is now readily available to the general public. . . as should be all good spiritual paths.
The Sacred Reiki Symbols, as presented, are not only historically and traditionally accurate, but are easy to learn, memorize and duplicate through Murray's work.
The author provides wonderful illustrations and step-by-step instructions on attunements and healing sessions, along with definite and inspired spiritual insights. His illustrations are clear and accurate.
Murray's section on "beaming and scanning" is some of the clearest work I've encountered on the subject.
Along with the traditional material handed down to me, I now use this book when teaching my students. I insist that they obtain a copy as their textbook and as an integral part of their training.
If you are looking for a clear, lucid, thorough treatise written in straight-forward concise language, you should get this book. Whether an absolute new-comer to Reiki, or long-time Master/Practitioner, this book will not let you down. I heartily recommend it as a "must-have" for Reiki people everywhere.
0Comment70 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2005
This is a fascinating energy practice.

Some practitioners regard the contents of this book as secret information, only to be passed from Master to student. Many Reiki books do not include this information. As you read this book, you will discover that it does cover all the symbols up to Master Level, and the attunement processes.

The author also shows the beaming and scanning techniques he uses in his sessions which are interesting.

What is not included in this book is the history of Reiki, which you can easily find from other sources or on the internet.

A more surprising omission is that it does not include the different hand positions, which would require me to buy another book.

If you are looking for general Reiki information, or to learn about Reiki you should look elsewhere. If you are looking to practice Reiki then this book is an excellent guide.
22 comments114 of 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2007
First of all, I would appreciate if you read this entire review- as it is one of the few that isn't biased by coming from one of Steve's students. Some of these comments are based on his other books as well; my purpose here is just to get you to think before you buy into his program. This review will be brutally honest, and hopefully will give those not familiar with his books something to consider when determining whether they should proceed with Steve's training or opt for a more traditional class. Although I didn't get my training from him, I have read a lot of what he believes. Some of it is good, and some of it is not so good- you need to think for yourself and decide what to take from it. You also need to keep in mind that this is Steve's livelihood. If he doesn't sell books and DVDs and all the other paraphernalia he offers on his website, he doesn't eat. What he writes about is ultimately going to be influenced by this, even if it is only on a subtle level. You could argue that he is doing this to be a nice guy, but my reply would be that none of us are in business to lose money. As an example, he sells a healing grid on his site for over $100.00. I have been using crystals for almost a decade- and the stones in that grid aren't expensive at all. Most of them are cheap, tumbled gems available at any crystal store for a few bucks a handful. Maybe he thinks his Reiki 'expertise' justifies marking it up to a ridiculous price- I really don't know, you would have to ask him. Just some food for thought.

I could bore you with a long list of colleges attended, my qualifications and certifications, and provide you with information on my healing practice but I won't. Suffice it to say I have been doing this a very long time and have dozens of certifications in various healing disciplines- you can either believe that or not.

A lot of Reiki classes are expensive. He is right about that. I think this author provides a way for people to learn how use Reiki without spending a lot of money, and that is fine. If you are someone that just wants this information to be able to practice as a layperson on family and friends I think his material is something you should buy. Also, if you are going to start a small Reiki practice and offer your sessions free of charge this may be a book to consider. However, if you can convince your client that learning these techniques from a book and DVD qualifies you to charge money for your services - then they deserve the result they get. My guess is a lot of practitioners that use Steve's information don't tell their clients how they were trained- as not a lot of people would be willing to spend their money if they knew how they obtained their `training'. There isn't a lot of credibility in a certification earned through a reading a book and watching a DVD.

Most healing disciplines are steeped in tradition, and have been taught by one person to another for millennia. Why? Because that was the only way to ensure the techniques were CORRECTLY handed down from one generation to another. An instructor can't correct a student if he isn't there watching him practice whatever it is he is trying to learn. Reiki is a discipline where we lay hands on another to facilitate healing. Why then wouldn't a Reiki practitioner want to learn how to perform these techniques by having hands laid on them? You can't have it both ways- believing that it is OK to lay hands on a client, yet not being willing to have hands laid on you in order to learn the techniques in the first place. As an example, Jesus didn't tell his disciples to go read a scroll about laying on of hands- he demonstrated it many times while they were in His presence.

The author also believes that having a Reiki lineage isn't important. If that is the case, why does he give his lineage information in all of his biographical data? Ask yourself why are you interested in buying his products in the first place? My guess is that you know he is a certified Reiki Master- and he has the credentials to prove it. If the author didn't have a lineage to lend credibility to what he says, then he would just be `some guy' claiming to know all these `secrets' about Reiki. No one would give him the time of day, let alone spend their hard-earned money to see what he had to say. So do you STILL believe lineage isn't important, Steve? Anyone who thinks they have the right to teach Reiki to others without a lineage is way off base- this illustration demonstrates that clearly.

I could go on and on listing other things I feel are less than accurate, but this gives you an idea. If you want to buy the product, fine- but consider how you plan to use the information. He does offer up some good advice on certain things, but don't buy into it wholesale. Think for yourself and take away the information you believe is valuable for your personal situation. I hope reviewing this book from another viewpoint has helped some people.
2222 comments190 of 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2004
Having practiced reiki at 1st and 2nd degree level for the past 3 years and constantly searching for the answers to many reiki questions, Steve Murray has produced a book that should be on the bookshelf of everybody who is interested in or practicing reiki.

Having purchased and read many reiki books,I still found myself searching for answers, this book has answered many questions and explains in an understanding and simple fashion, the secrets of reiki that many reiki books and masters,for whatever reason were reluctant to share with everybody.

I thank Mr Murray for making this information accesible to everyone! and look forward to volume 2.
on January 24, 2004
Steve Murray's _Reiki: The Ultimate Guide_ is a very well written guide to the art of Reiki healing. There is no 'shrouded in secrecy' mumbo-jumbo here, just a straightforward description of what Reiki energy is, the levels of training, how to use Reiki, what attunements are and what they are like, and (although they have appeared in other books over the years) the Reiki sacred symbols are also included. Steve also describes in detail (along with photographs of each step) how to give the attunements for each level of Reiki.
For those who seek a clear, cogent explanation of Reiki healing, this book is one of the best. It includes just about everything one would want to know, except for Reiki history, which, as Steve notes, "the majority of readers are fully aware of." A bibliography is included for those who desire to read further.
As a Reiki Master Teacher, this book will be a great asset to my classes, as well as being a wonderful supplement to my Reiki training. I only wish it had been around when I was in training.
Traditional Reiki Masters will be upset by this book, because it, like Toto, dares to peer behind the curtain of secrecy they want to keep so tightly closed. Some of my own training was rather traditional (i.e., fundamentalist), and I have to admit that as I read the book for the first time, I looked over my shoulder to make sure the Reiki Police were not lurking in the shadows.
But, more modern Reiki Masters (and people who simply want to learn more about Reiki) should welcome this book with open arms, hearts and minds.
on July 7, 2004
First, I'd like to say that this IS the best book I've found on Reiki attunements and symbols, scanning and beaming etc. On that level I agree very much with the prior positive recommendations. I take issue with the title "Ultimate", however. I was looking for a book that would educate me about EVERYTHING I needed to know to become a Reiki practitioner, and bought the book because of the positive ratings and the word "Ultimate" in the title. I was very disappointed to find nothing in the book about how to perform an actual Reiki session on a client. There is nothing on hand positions for healing-self or otherwise, the ethics of touching another person or any of the other information I, as a newbie, needed to know about time spent in close contact with people requesting my help. If you are seeking a book that clearly explains the attunment processes, then this is the one. If you want a book that explains how to perform a Reiki session, it is not.
on March 11, 2005
Steve Murray has given all of us an incredible gift of ulitimate ability to love, heal and change our lives with this instructional manual. It is a comprehensive learning experience that no one should let pass them by. For all of those interested in growing spiritually, and being able to "give" gifts of healing to others, this is an essential tool. As a Reiki Master, I would not be without it. It has all the information needed to reach the Master level, properly utilize the healing power of Reiki, and amazing insights into how Reiki transforms the individual giving and recieving Reiki. I recommend this book to all who are reaching for the ultimate knowledge level of self awareness, unconditional love, and to all those spiritually seeking thier purpose. Best of all, with this book, you are able to teach, share and work with others to experience Reiki.

I also suggest, very strongly, checking out the attunement dvd's or video's Steve Murray has available. They are POWERFUL, life altering, and inspiring. Of all of the Reiki books, manuals, classes and instructional courses I have been exposed to, this is truely the most awesome combination available. Reiki is for everyone, a gift freely given, and freely received to all who are willing. Steve Murray is to be applauded for having the courage to release this information and for making it available to all of us who are searching for our higher purpose in life. Thank you Steve.
on November 9, 2004
After reading the existing reviews of this book it is hard to say much more to enhance or expand on them. Steve Murray's book and videos answered questions for me that had gone unanswered for a long time. As a Teaching Reiki Master, I have a huge library of Reiki literature and have read many books. This one book was the best I have found in my 30 years of work on my path to the light. I will use it as a teaching resource with my students and encourage them to purchase it as a guide. The attunement videos are exquisite! In my viewing of them I experienced energy and colors like none I have felt before. This had a dynamic effect on my faith in the work Steve is doing and in his methods for sharing Reiki with the universe. Kudos to Steve Murray. Keep up the good work and we Reiki Practioners will continue to support his efforts and the efforts of all who want to send Reiki out to the universe.
on February 14, 2005
There are books which pretend to be a reference point, and there are those which not only are, but also exceed readers' expectations. These are some of those! Read them twice and heal the universe. A library worth having for every healer.
(1). Reiki The Ultimate Guide Learn Sacred Symbols & Attunements by Steve Murray
(2). The Power of Divine: A Healer's Guide - Tapping into the Miracle by Tiffany Snow
(3). The Reiki Sourcebook by Bronwen & Frans Stiene