Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 9, 2009
I have always detested RFPs. They are a big waste of time, talent and resources. But, unfortunately, they are a part of the business world we live in. Two things. First, if you are a responder to RFPs, this book will help you manage the game so that the rules are tipped in your favor. Second, if you create RFPs (you know who you are), then read this book and get a clue on how you can develop an RFP that is not an eternal pit of confusion.

Good book...well worth the time (unlike RFPs).

Joe Pulizzi
Co-author, Get Content Get Customers
on September 10, 2009
OK... We all know that winning BIG requires proposing BIG ideas (that cost money). But how do you propose BIG ideas that get buy-in from your customer? How do you win the deal when you have competitors viscously fighting for the the contract?

You start by reading Tom's book...

Tom very simply lays out the framework to compete and win the biggest deals of your lifetime. His step-by-step methodology is a "must read" for every company Sales VP and should be required reading for every advanced Marketing Degree. It's easy to read, extremely practical, and ..... actually works.

What adds extra value to this book are the last 5-6 chapters that spell out how a winning RPF scenario works. You get samples. You get scenarios. You get analysis. You get 1-on-1 coaching from the author himself.

Tom's previous book "Whale Hunters" was a great read. This one is EVEN BETTER!
on September 18, 2009
Tom and his staff were instrumental in helping us secure a $50 million contract recently, so I was sold on the contents of this book before I even cracked its cover. But as I read through it, I was taken by the fact that there wasn't a lot of wasted fluff like we often find in business books. You don't have to weed through page after page to get to the meat of the matter...how refreshing.

The very first page is evidence of this. As with anything that Tom puts his considerable energies into, RFPs Suck! is a masterpiece for anyone who wants to take their pursuit of business to the next level. RFPs take so much time, creative energy and money. It is a blessing to have the definitive textbook on how to respond to them in our arsenal. This book will definitely be a comparative advantage that we fully intend to exploit!

Richard H. Drennen
President
Superior Mechanical, Inc.
Birmingham, AL
on September 9, 2009
"RFPs Suck!" was informative and entertaining. (Seriously, who knew RFPs could be entertaining?) Absolutely anyone who is involved in the RFP process--no matter how big or small their company--should buy, read and scribble notes all over this book. I've already passed it along to several colleagues and will continue sharing it with clients. Great stuff!
on September 9, 2009
It's hard to say exactly how many aha! moments I had while reading this book, but suffice it to say, there were a lot of them! I picked up this book because my company has often felt frustrated by the RFP process--so often it felt like we'd just spent hours to give a bigger, wealthier, more resource-rich company some free consulting that they could easily have paid for. And, well, in some of those cases, it seems pretty clear that that's exactly what happened. But in other cases, it's now really clear to me that we didn't present ourselves to our best effect, in a way that bigger companies could really relate to, understand, and feel comfortable committing to working with.

RFPs Suck! shed so much light on the process, and made me understand that when done right, it's not just casting about in the dark. You really can read all kinds of clues that tell you when to run in the other direction and when you should commit your team to creating a really great proposal. Searcy also has good examples of where responding companies go wrong, and it was helpful to see the traps that we all fall into--I think most often because we are busy worrying about ourselves and selling ourselves that we forget how much the process is really about the company looking to hire.

Truly, this is one of those examples where the smartest ideas are the most straightforward ones--I constantly found myself saying, So true!, or, Of course, why didn't I think of that?! My copy already has notes in every chapter, and my company is putting the ideas to work in the RFP we are working on right now. Thank you, thank you!!
on September 24, 2009
Many RFPs do SUCK. I write a blog for eLearning managers and I raved about this book ([...]). It is too easy and short a read for an award of five stars, but it certainly earns all four on significance and usability. The RFPs that are most painful to respond to are the wired or perfunctory ones. The client or consultant has a favorite vendor (and it is not you) but is required to solicit proposals or is looking for the lowest cost. Sound familiar? Tom Searcy has found an incredible niche of being the "BIG RFP" expert and educator for small company sales departments looking to land a big project. This new book is a must read because it's short, well laid out and to the point.
His five best take aways:
1."Know how to quit the process before it starts." Read about how to create a company decision making matrix so you are only answering the RFPs you should be answering.
2. "10 ways a buyer says "you're too small" Tom takes a look at each of the 10 fears buyers have of small companies.
3. Make sure you learn to say what your prospects want to hear by saying it in terms of time, money and risk.
4. How to avoid having a proposal that is a "me too vendor response".
5. Great tips and techniques on organizing the RFP response.

In short, if you have not evaluated your sales department's procedures and process for answering RFPs this book is a must buy!
on September 10, 2009
Tom's newest book is (1) a must-read and (2) a must-use guide to navigating through the world of Requests For Proposals. He will show you how RFPs are designed to rule you out quickly and how they are designed up front to favor the pre-chosen vendor. You will both laugh and scream as you work your way through his insightful and all to close-to-home examples and explanations. And most importantly, you will learn that it is okay to turn down an RFP with which you have little chance of success.
on September 10, 2009
Tom Searcy's new book RFP's Suck! is an honest guide to navigating sales to a large organization. His ability to explain how decisions are made and what you need to do to get past the BS, make your case for the business and close the deals is much needed and sought after knowledge.

If you want to land BIG deals you need to follow Tom's guidance and do the actions that are needed to close the deals.
on September 10, 2009
They say that history is a predictor of the future, so I read Tom's book and realized that either I should start praying it isn't true or that I had to drastically change the way my company deals with RFPs. This book is a gem and a must-read for anyone that ever gets involved in the labor-intensive, costly and onerous process of responding to RFPs.
on September 29, 2009
RFPs aren't a fair fight. Anyone who's ever responded to one knows it. Tom's book provides actionable and effective tactics for joining in the RFP fray and how to fight to win while you're there. As a company owner, I wish I had access to this valuable insight sooner. "RFPs Suck!" should be required reading for every sales pro.