5.0 out of 5 stars Kave 5.1
Let's settle this now: This is NOT a pair of audiophile headphones, it is a GAMING headset.

That said, lets get into the nitty-gritty.

I am upgrading from a Razer Megalodon 7.1 digital headset. Not a bad headset at all, but it was starting to die out on me and i needed something new.

This headset is a TRUE 5.1 audio system, and you can...
Published on March 1, 2012 by GunFightingGuru

2.0 out of 5 stars Real 5.1, but fragile
Published 8 months ago by Christopher E. Hahn

5.0 out of 5 stars Kave 5.1, March 1, 2012
This review is from: ROCCAT Kave 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset (ROC-14-500) (Personal Computers)

That said, lets get into the nitty-gritty.

This headset is a TRUE 5.1 audio system, and you can tell. the positional audio is amazing. I have never heard positional audio this good from a headset.

The ear-cups are over-ear and closed back, meaning no audio will spill over to the mic, and you wont have to worry about listening to anything in the real world. The apocalypse could be happening right now and I wouldn't hear a thing.

The microphone is as crystal clear as the Fortress of Solitude, and it's loud enough to be heard. Also, it features Noise Cancelling like the headset, so don't worry about your wife/girlfriend calling you to take out the trash or do the dishes in the middle of a BF3 match and being made fun of by your buddies.

The ear cups are rather large and heavy for a headset, but this is countered by a soft leatherette ear cushioning and a padded headband. I won't lie, the headband could be better, but it's not uncomfortable by any stretch.

The audio quality is astonishingly good. You have to tinker with your sound card to get it to work perfectly, but even out of the box it works very well.

The in line controls are GREAT, allowing you to control front, mids, rears, and the subs.

This is a LOUD headset. My old Megalodon couldn't put out near as much volume and retain the same quality of audio.

The bass could be louder out of the box, but after tinkering I got it to where I wanted it for explosions, gunfire, etc.

make sure you have a soundcard or a motherboard with 5.1/7.1 to use this to its full potential.

This headset is the BEST headset I have owned in quite a long while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, July 12, 2012
Hey all,

Let me start of this review by saying that I am an audio engineer and an audiophile. I have a wide array of gear for creating and listening to music, but I was looking for something to use with my gaming rig so I can enjoy spending time gaming and chatting with my friends over ventrilo. Thus, the verdict is based solely for the purpose I bought these for.

After my Razer Carcharias died out on me (left driver just stopped working on it's own - Razer was nice enough to give me a full refund - great customer service!), I have decided to get a new headset, and while Razer is great when it comes to keyboards and mice (Deathadder still the best mouse I ever had), Razer headphones just did not leave a great impression on me.

I googled a bit, and found this headset, watched the reviews and decided to go for it.

I am not going to go into specs and features as you can find those on the internet, and I'm just going to focus on my experience. And here we go:

DESIGN: The Roccat Kave is sturdy and well built. They are a bit heavy, but I personally do not mind it. The ear-cups are surprisingly comfortable. Same can't be said for the padding on the top, as it can cause a bit of a discomfort, but I managed to find a setting that works for me and after a few days of getting used to, I feel no discomfort. I think it could have been done better, and it feels weird that they went for three separate padding's instead of a one, continual padding that would have fit on a head of any size and shape. The ear-cups are really deep, and they will seperate your ear fro the drivers a bit, which will enable you to hit the volume up with a bit less stress to your ears.

MICROPHONE: Good quality. Sounds crisp and clear on the other side and you will have no issues with VOIP communication.

MUSIC: This headset is just not designed for listening to music. It's not bad, and if you are not an audiophile you will probably not hear a big difference from other gaming headsets. The sound was a bit strange at first, but after a few hours it did sink in. The lack of heavy bass for all you electronic music fans is being mended by the vibration unit that will shake your head a bit when frequencies up to 100hz hit in, giving you an impression of a bigger bass sound. Depending on the genre of music you will find switching of the presets on your controller useful sometimes. If you are looking for a headset to listen to music and game - think you can find better options with some stereo set (Sennheiser comes to mind).

MOVIES: Not bad, but not too great as well. I can't complain really about the sound - it's solid, and I did enjoy watching movies with this, but would always get back to my hi-fi speaker system to watch movies if I had to choose.

GAMES: This is where the Roccat Kave shines! Playing games with this headset is a great and immersive experience. They can be overwhelming sometimes if you push up the volume (these can be really really loud) but tweaking with the parameters will help you achieve better results. The 5.1 sound system works well on these while playing games. They are not really 100% correct when it comes to positioning - the front is going to sound like it's more in the center, and the back will sound more like a back-left or back-right depending on the situation. These are not big flaws, and you will still be able to pinpoint your enemies when you are playing first person shooters.

THE PRICE: You will not be able to get a better headset with 5.1 in this price range!!! They are really cheap for the quality they offer, so this is a no-brainer.

VERDICT: Should you get these? Yes! They have their flaws, of course, but if you are looking for a headset with 5.1 for gaming - look no further. I think These will keep me satisfied for at least 2-3 years for this purpose. Remember, 5.1 and 7.1 headsets are gimmicks, but this one is a well built gimmick that does not use software to give you a virtual surround sound and they use 3 drivers on each side to create a soundscape for you.

In the end - if you just need a good stereo pair - get some great audiophile headphones and buy a attachable mike. If you wanna have a bit of fun and don't care that much as long as it sounds decent, and you really want some 5.1 sounds - get these.

As you can see, I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope this review is written well enough to give you an impression on what these can offer.

Happy shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comming from a set of Turtle Beach Z6a, this was a HUGE upgrade, May 27, 2013
I really loved my Turtle Beach Z6a's, but when the mic stopped working after a few months and the model was discontinued, I had to find something else. (Turtle Beach did RMA them for a different model, just didn't like them nearly as much.)

I'll start with the bad first, because there is very little bad about them.

-They're heavy. REALLY heavy. Probably the heaviest set of earphones I've worn since my dad's 1970's stainless steel set. That said, they are somehow still very comfortable. I game for about 6 hours at a time, and they only barely start to hurt around the headband at that point. Normally I can reposition them and they're fine.
-They're bright and they don't turn off the lights when the computer shuts down, so I have to cover them with a blanket to get any sleep!

Hopefully those two things don't discourage you too much, because these really are a great headset. Onto the pro's:

-Sound quality is superb. If you like bass, these put out enough to vibrate AND they don't rattle or pop while doing so. The surround sound effect also works very well, though I haven't put this to the test in as many games as I'd like to. So far they seem about equal to the Z6a's as far as the surround sound distribution.
-Removable mic is REALLY great. I like that I can get it out of the way completely and reduce wear on it by taking it out when not in use. The mic quality is also perfect. No background noise or static (so I've been told by my friends on the other end).
-Construction is the best I've seen in a LONG time. This is a big one for me, as all my previous headsets generally fail in a physical aspect, not a sound quality aspect. The Turtle Beach Z6a's are notorious for that fact. The ROCCAT's however feel like they're carved from a solid block of granite. The wires are extremely thick and well insulated, the connections are reinforced, the audio control module looks like something off a professional sound board. The construction quality just really is terrific.
-Noise canceling is the best I've experienced, even better than electronic "active" noise canceling systems. These block out noise so well, I don't even hear my wife yelling at me from the same room; the people in my call have to pass the message along! They work great the other direction too, my wife never hears my music or games even when I've got it blasting.

In conclusion, if you don't mind a heavier headset that can be bright at night, I've found no equal to these. If you happened to use the TB Z6a's and are looking for something similar as an upgrade or replacement, these are it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome set of gaming cans but for one small glitch..., May 17, 2013
I love these headphones. Coming after me for a stealth kill with a knife (in game)? I can hear your footsteps behind me. Huge explosion nearby? Bass blows your ears out! The microphone quality seems good as attested to by my gaming friends. I love that you can bend the mic to any position and flip it up out of the way when not needed (even unplug it if you want). The only gripes I have are that since it takes up all your sound card "out" jacks, you need a splitter or something if you want external sound without having to unplug all the headphone jacks. Also, my set seems to have developed a 'short' or something in the line which causes static when I move the cord. No, it's not a loose connection, it's something in the line between the 'phones and the (cool) volume/directional volume gizmo. Hey this thing is neat, you can adjust volume for rear/left/right/bass and overall volume, inline. Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Built Tough, April 6, 2012
I Have used several 5.1 headsets over the years, they have been built to break, either wire shorts or cracking at the neck, at or near, the cup hinges. My previous favorites were the Medusa 5.1 headphones, similar price point+, and they would crack near the plastic hinge within 18 months. The duct-tape look gets old. The Roccat Kave are excellent, heavy, well built headphones. I get great 5.1 sound and the pivot above the cup is metal! No cracking. Wires have held up and are medium thickness (similar to usb cable in diameter but more flexible).

I give a 4.5 stars. Downsides: Comfort of the padding on the headband is poor, have to move it around during extended usage. The cans block surrounding noise very well and are heavy, so you know what you are getting into. I was not able to use the mic with speech recognition software, too much static over the mic. Not yet sure if it is the Kave mic or Creative Flexijack, i suspect the latter. I will update review if i figure it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best headset I've used. Don't be rough though, June 7, 2012
I'm writing a review of this headset after buying my second one. They're that good. I first bought mine over a year ago before they even marketed in the US and had it shipped from Great Britain. It was like 130VAT which means a lot of freaking kachinga. Still, the reviews were amazing, and it seemed like a must have for hardcore gamers who wanted a surround headset. Now, this doesn't beat a tried and true 5.1 surround optical out audio solution, but for those of you who do a lot of online gaming, late at night, there is no better option.

The first ones I recieved, I couldnt believe how great the audio was. I have a custom pc with a 5.1 enabled motherboard, and hadn't had a change to check it out. I played a bunch of 5.1 enabled DVDs and tested all the games I had that supported surround that I'd been playing in stereo. It's great! Now the way it is a true surround sound headset is the fact that each headphone has multiple speakers that work together to create the surround. There is a test track you can play when you first set them up and its great. In those online matches of BF3 you can just sit there and hear people try to sneak up on you. Real advantage there.

One of the best parts is the noise canceling. I could sit there at the couch playing a movie or a game, and I can't hear anything else. The headphones work great to cancel out all that annoying stuff like lawnmowers, nagging women, crying babies, attention hunting children, ect.

Again, this was such a great headset, I just bought myself another one.

They are not as durable as I'd like, but I wasn't particularly careful with them. These fold up well, and I would bring them to work with me every day. It was usually the first thing I put in my backpack and I guess over time they took a beating. The mic stopped working first. I'm an electrical technician by trade, and unfortunatley I couldn't troubleshoot what actually went wrong. The mic is such a slick package, that if I had a pinched or severed wire in there, I can't get it opened up to tell without destroying it. Good news is you can get replacement mics. The issue when I broke mine was that you had to buy them from GB and I didn't want to pay shipping and the cost for it to get sent to the states.

Eventually I broke the headset itself, and a wire going to one ear. I could easily epoxy the plastic and solder the connection, but I've been lazy and want a new sleek set that I will take better care of now that I have moved on to a new job.

The control module down the cable is pretty tough, but the cover to it disappeared on me in the first month.

Overall, for the price, you cannot, repeat cannot get a better headset. I've owned dozens of the name brands; razer, logitech, turtle beach, and ended up trashing them all. You can't beat this amazon price either. If you don't have surround sound on your pc, you can just connect the usb and the stereo (green) cable and it works just as well. Of course you'd have to plug in the mic (pink) as well for chat. The cable is plenty long if you need a long reach. I have a large (58") tv and have to sit about 15' back for the proper viewing angle. The cable easily reaches my PS3 (yes it works on PS3 too! just no mic or surround...) and don't have to have the cable taut in the air.

Long winded review, but bottom line, if I break this headset again sometime down the line (out of warranty) I'll be placing another order for a Kave until a better headset is made...

2.0 out of 5 stars Real 5.1, but fragile, July 30, 2013
I really liked these headphones at first. Real 5.1, nice inline controls, and after a while decent comfort. Things went south very fast though when taking the headphones off the left arm broke right where everything comes together. It really seems like there is a lot of unecessary plastic on this headset and I can't say I would buy another set. For me I'm going back to the Medusa 5.1. Much more comfortable and a lot less plastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good set. If it fits your head, well worth money. Can be uncomfortable., November 16, 2013
PROS:
* Look good.
* Nice build quality. Sturdy, materials feel high quality. Chord is reasonably thick, control module is very sturdy and the controls (other than the wobbly center mute button) feel solid.
* Detachable microphone.
* Sound quality is very good for several small drivers. No bass rumble but doesn't get that hollow or buzzy sound you get from units that can't handle bass at all -- this is about the best I expect from a headset. Highs are good, better than your average / midrange speaker set and on par of better than the Turtle Beach HPA2 set I had years ago. Mids are acceptable, clear. They don't stand out but not complaints. For reference, I have these hooked up to a basic Asus sound card.
* Positional audio is reasonable... I've used real 5.1 speakers and obviously these don't make the distinction between directions as clear as spaced-out speakers in a room. In particular, side-vs-rear is hard to distinguish in some situations, but overall they help you grasp your surroundings better than basic (not "virtual surround") stereo headphones. As good as I'd expect and again comparable to my old Turtle Beach 5.1 set.
* Microphone seems to be clear and loud enough, without almost no static. Requires typical control panel tweaking. Haven't gotten complaints about hearing me from others.
* Ear cups are comfortable and wrap your ears nicely. They provide a lot of open space around your ears and really do create an open-air or "cave" feeling. Ear cups rotate or "articulate" along the vertical axis so they can fit your head shape. The height adjustment has handy engravings so you can remember what settings fit you (i.e., I like mine set at 3/3 or 4/4 and not just "extended about .... this far").
* Two sets in my household and both are equally good in the above ways.

CONS:
* While the ear cups are comfortable, the headband has a significant design oversight. For whatever reason, it's angled very strangely, meaning only one edge of the three small parts is pressing against your head. This concentrates the pressure and makes it feel like the band is cutting into your head. My girlfriend who has a very differently-shaped head than I do has the same problem. It's not that the three small pads are inherently bad, but when they're not sitting with their entire rim/surface flat against your head, they hurt. I can wear these awhile by shifting them a half inch every 30-40 minutes. It's REALLY too bad they didn't either A) make the band a solid, rounded material that would squish to fit just about any head shape or B) hinge the three small pads so they could bend to fit against your head. These pads REALLY dig into your scalp after awhile... -3 Stars for this, I am considering returning the headset after using them awhile due to the pain of wearing these.
* Adjusting the channels separately, while a nice feature, introduces quirks... sometimes constant buzzing or intermittent buzzing with certain sounds. I've found this so common in different situations that I now leave them all at 100%. It's a shame because boosting the rear and sub channels for example could have helped compensate for some of the bass and positional shortcomings of the set.
* Not saying this is specific to these headphones, but I had to wrap the audio inputs in tinfoil to reduce background noise (a faint buzzing or humming that could change in pitch). Your mileage might vary depending on your sound card, system case material/grounding, I/O shield and surrounding devices. For me about 5" of tinfoil eliminated the buzz I could hear at very low volume.

3.0 out of 5 stars The manufacturing/engineering screwed up., June 10, 2013
The sound quality is OK, a little tinny, but adjusting with equalizer controls can solve that. The surround effect is limited, behind left or behind right sounds just like left or right to me. Straight behind doesn't really sound like something behind you.

Anyway, those are trivial concerns. Here's the real problem. The idiots that engineered the headset design screwed up big time. The arch that goes over your head - IT'S EFFING BACKWARDS! If you put the headset on backwards you will notice the ROCCAT logo faces forward (as it should) and the arch molds to the shape of your head perfectly. Put the headset on "correctly" and the arch digs into your head because the pads in the arch are not resting on the top of your skull; what should be the trailing edge is digs in to the top of your skull. After a few hours, the top of your head will hurt.

I cannot believe such a colossal mistake got through their quality system (if it exists), but I'd check to see if they have fixed it before buying a pair of these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but mediocre., October 7, 2012
I bought this to replace an aging Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset. Nothing was really wrong with with my Fatal1ty, I just wanted to upgrade. After doing a lot of research and determining my price range and needs, I decided to go with these -- the Roccat Kaves. I had heard great things about them. And now, I confess myself disappointed.

Out of the box they felt very solid; Covered in the same slightly grippy rubber coating that many gaming grade mice are. I placed them on my head and my first thought was "Whoa BIIIIG. Big big big big." These are easily the heaviest headphones I have ever worn. Yes, they are true 5.1. But they're bloody heavy. That being said, they rested comfortable around my ears, and I only felt slight pressure on the top of my head. But let's make one thing clear: These are not going to let you forget you're wearing them.

Now, on to the actual audio. Put very simply... it sucked. The 3 drivers per ear cup were pointed to converge some 4cm away from my ear. They sounded tinny, far away, and of the worst quality imaginable. Explosions sounded like a movie from the 1970's, unremastered and played back on a set of free airline headphones plugged into a device with a 24Kb/s bitrate. Which they weren't... the Kaves were plugged into a dedicated sound card. Also, as a competitive gamer, I take positional audio very seriously. During a series of tests performed by myself and some clanmates, I found that I could not hear anything directly behind me, and only when a character was about 15 meters awauy to my 3 o'clock could I begin to hear them.

These are not gaming grade headphones. They are a pair of overpriced earmuffs.

ARRAY(0xa3b513d8)