RPG Maker VX Ace
Price:$62.48 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 3, 2012
Let me start off the bat by saying that I am using this product for commercial purposes, so my experience and usage might vary quite a bit from the average hobbyist.

RPG Maker VX Ace is a very powerful, and very flexible tool. I personally think it's worth much more than the price it's given, but that's just my own opinion. However, I will admit, the stigma associated with RPG Maker due to the constant swarm of bland games that all resemble each other in one way or another is negative, however that's the fault of the user base, not the fault of the engine itself.

Ace, the current version you're looking at, is very versatile and has a variety of tools to help customization. Ace gives you a great starting point with it's graphics, game mechanics, scripts and database, but it's up to you as the user to make use of them and build upon them to make your own game unique.

The biggest plus of this engine is the RGSS3 scripting system, based off of the language Ruby. With this you can modify and evolve your game into whatever you want it to be. (It does require programming knowledge. Although, there are plenty of dedicated scripters within the RPG Maker community as a whole with scripts that were already made, and some that are open to personal requests). From personal experience, I have, with the help of others, a completely custom battle system scripted in RGSS3, so I know just how far you can take the system. Which, is very, very far.

When it comes to basic User Interface, Ace doesn't disappoint either. It's very clean, and very easy to use. Mapping is as simple as selecting a tile and drawing on the map editor. Events are very precise and flexible, and the help manual the program comes with is easy to understand. Custom graphics can easily be imported to make your game a completely new and immersible experience. There isn't one thing in this engine you can't edit or expand upon.

As a whole this product is utterly fantastic, and being sold at a much lower price than what it should be worth. I will add in conclusion however that while there are no limits to what you can create, you as the user are responsible to utilize the engine to it's fullest. No one said making games was easy!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2013
I started playing with RPG Maker back when it was released for the Playstation. At the time, I didn't realize they had other RM's available on PC, and I found the console version to be very cumbersome.

Fast forward about 10 years, when I first became aquainted with RMVX. This was a great and easy to use tool, but was severely lacking from its predecessors, namely RM2K/2K3 and RMXP. The problem with RMXP was that I always found it more difficult to learn with than RMVX, and everything prior to RMXP was never officially released outside of Japan (making the English versions illegal).

Finally, we are blessed with this gem known as RMVX-Ace. While it imitates the style of RMVX, thus granting its users to make charming 2D representations of the old SNES classics, it offers a lot more than what RMVX had right out of the box.

First, we are granted the return of unlimited resources, especially where tilesets are concerned. What made VX such an eyesore was that they removed this feature, thus ensuring the user would be stuck with the same graphics for the entire project, unless they used some cumbersome replacement such as parallax mapping or a script that allowed you to swap out your tilesets.

Second, we are given much more diversity in the database, to creating our own custom formulas for weapons and skills, to turning on and off the caterpillar option (showing your whole party on screen at any given time), to a more custom-friendly development for enemy behavior.

Third, we are introduced to several features that were only once possible with the use of third party scripts that may or may not have worked correctly, and may or may not have clashed with other scripts. By having these features provided at default, beginners can start using some of the more advanced features and events without having to hunt down a variety of scripts.

Finally, the resources here are quite impressive for a 2D lover such as myself, and a definite upgrade from those provided in RPG Maker VX.

For those who want more advanced features, scripts have returned with a powerful Ruby update, and the scripts that I've seen made available for Ace have (for the most part) been easy to understand and use.

My only real complaint against the product is that some of the features that were included with RM2K/2K3 are still missing, but those can easily be added with the use of scripts, making the gripe rather moot. Also, the blockiness of the autotiles continues to haunt the mappers, requiring expert control for those wanting something a bit more round and realistic.

Also, it should be noted that I use RPG Maker as a hobby, so I'm a lot more lenient than some who would prefer a more commercial friendly market. While RM can be used to make and sell games, most people will use this as a pass time tool to make games their friends, families, and online communities will play. And for somebody longing for a return to the style of games he grew up with, RM grants that possibility every step of the way.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2013
I downloaded the trial version of this software and loved it from day one. Between the easy to use interface, large number of tutorials supplied online and a wonderful (and active) online community, this software has been fantastic. You are literally only limited by your own imagination as to what you can accomplish.

There are two things I would make people aware of:

1. The starter pallet is small. When you first install the program you will not have nearly as many tiles as you would like, and if you aren't planning on making a traditional fantasy game, you'll have almost nothing to work with. This IS easily fixed by going online and downloading additional tiles. They are easy to find through the official forums, and easy to install. Alternately, if you're the artistic type, you can make your own, and that's just about as easy (although will take a little more time...).

2. You will need to be willing to search and learn. The information in the program itself is pretty bare bones. To get into doing the really fun stuff, you'll need to look through the online tutorials and take advantage of that online community I mentioned earlier. If you do, you find help on everything from getting your character to walk through water to weather effects.

All in all, I would have expected this program to cost a lot more, and I would have paid for it anyway. The actual price is a steal, and I would encourage anyone who has ever wanted to make their own game to give it a try.
on May 28, 2013
I was rather amazed that something like this even exist for the common person. Over all it's a good program for making simple rpg games and there are tons of content you can find online as well. "Scripting" in this program which is essentially coding to make your game do things outside it's basic programming is VERY complex and in the future I wish for scripting to be a bit simpler but other than that everything is good. It's easy to learn and looks nice, people who are looking to get into game design should at least check it out. And people who just like to create things for fun- like games should give it a shot also.
on January 30, 2013
This software arrived earlier than the scheduled arrival date and in perfect condition. I really am enjoying the program so far!! I love RPG's and making my own is really giving me an appreciation for developers and how much work they do to create great games. The software has a fairly steep learning curve (in my opinion) but is definitely manageable because of the VAST amounts of resources online. I have received a lot of help from people on the Rpg maker forums and now I have my world map, first city and castle, and the intro to my game all done. It is a lot of fun!!! If you like writing and creating your stories, building a world rich with people, and playing through your own creations...then I highly recommend this piece of software to you! It is really rewarding playing a game and thinking...I made this!!! :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2012
I love this software! It is possible to do anything at all you can imagine. The community is strong and friendly. They will be kind and helpful to anyone. The only down point I can even think of is that the box says no programming knowledge required, while technically true, many things you wish to do may require knowledge of rss3. Unless a script has already been written, which is completely plausible. I still rate this 5 stars, and well worth the price tag!
on December 26, 2013
This is four stars because you need internet access to finish the installation process - a bit inconvenient for a program best used on a desktop. Also, this comes with a face generator. To get the most out of it you need an image manipulation program. As it stands now, the generator is limited. It separates the materials based on gender and the outfits aren't particularly varied (a modern clothing set would be nice - or varied armor). For the sprite maker - there is an offline version - the built in generator does, however, give more resources that can be used for that.

Mapping is similar to that of RPG Maker 2000 and 2k3. You can now add tile sheets without extensive programming and parallax mapping is not entirely necessary to produce a good product.

The best thing Ace has is the shadow pen. You can now move, draw and erase shadows. No more shadows in awkward places. (of course, this is just for the maps). No more weirdly shaped shadows. All hail the shadow king!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I purchased this game roughly one week ago and I've spent every day since then tinkering away. The game itself is rather easy to get into, just about everything you need is right there in a handy palette, simply click and drop. I've spent many continuous hours in RPG Maker VX Ace and I can tell you that even the trial and error can be fun. When it isn't there are websites dedicated to helping newcomers out, such as rpgmakerweb.com (which I am a member of) rpgmaker.net and I'm sure many others. However, that being said I rated the software a 4/5 due to my lack of knowledge in Ruby (which is what the games uses) and was very confusing to me at first. However I was able to find a website that TEACHES you how to learn Ruby and others (Including HTML/ PHP etc) So if you're reading this and would like to learn more about said scripting the website is codecademy.com With this I should be one step closer to making my dream game. Good luck and enjoy your purchase! I know I am.
on April 29, 2013
I've been using/importing RPG Maker in its various incarnations (SNES, PSX, PS2, etc) and mainly made games as a hobby. When RPG Maker XP came out, I decided to get serious and make commercial games. After burning out computers, when VX ACE came onto the scene in a tangible format (cd!!), my game creation really took off! Just so you know - this program isn't just limited to RPG's! With its powerful scripting language, I've made interactive fiction games, fighters, isometric rpg's, platformers, and even a card game. VX Ace is easy to use, having combined the features of XP and VX. If you have the time, imagination and dedication, this powerful programming package is the best start on game creation!

VX Ace is entirely customizable, from graphics, music, even scripts to make your game more unique instead of using the defaults. Even the battle system can be changed (this is where the scripting comes in!) RGSS3 is actually easy to learn once you wrap your head around Ruby's syntax (which RGSS3 is based). Though i have some background in coding in other languages (C, Java, Actionscript, Basic) Ruby was a bit difficult for me, but managable after I read that reference manual!

The help file and reference manual is easy to read and understand. If you charge in head first without reading the manual (or never tinkered with RPG Maker's pervious incarnations on PC before) then there might be a difficult learning curve. If you had RPG Maker XP then switched to VX Ace it might throw you for a loop (VX and VX Ace are similar in apperance, but with some definate changes - such as VXA's internal character creator). I had no probelms setting up events, creating maps, importing images and music, even adding new items in the database. With this engine, I made a playable rpg that took 12 hrs to finish in 2 weeks.
It works in Windows 7 Ultimate with no problems.
on December 3, 2012
I love the RPG Maker series. I started using these programs back when I was a teenager working on my own games. They've come a really long way since then though with XP, VX, and now VX Ace which is definitely the best one yet. It makes simple tasks quick and easy to put in your game, and the more advanced stuff is made way easier than it used to be thanks to the RGSS3 scripting, character generator, etc. The community has grown a lot too, as you can find tons of helpful people on the official forums and around the web. They also offer packs sold through their site if you want a change from the built-in resources.