Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: RSVP Stainless Steel Espresso Tamper 49mm Clear NEW
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: Clear|Change

Showing 1-10 of 202 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on December 19, 2012
I bought this for use with my Mr. Coffee ECM160. If that's all you want from my review, then yeah, works great. Could be 1mm bigger but fits pretty good. Buy one. More importantly, the temporal happiness. My wife tried very hard to talk me out of buying this. She said that I was buying into needless consumerism and seeking contentment from material purchases rather than seeking some kind of inner harmony. Of course she's right; I hate that. So for months I used the flat plastic spoon tamper that came with the Mr. Coffee.

This week my wife is out of town, so I debated between buying the 50mm/60mm tamper for $6.95, or spend the extra $9 for this one. Like I said, my wife is out of town, so I bought this one. I received it today, and couldn't be happier. It has brought me the kind of happiness that will last for at least another 15 minutes, and has motivated me to come and write a positive review. I usually only write reviews when I have something BAD to say. That's how good it is.

This is why it's great:

1. It just looks and feels great in my hand. It's like going from a crappy dull knife to a very fine Swiss knife. I've just started to want better quality things in my life, and I find it very satisfying. Perhaps this is the kind of delight in quality metal that crazy people feel about holding a gun. I think that if all gun owners were to buy this tamper instead of guns there would be peace on earth, and the happiness this tamper brings would last far beyond 15 minutes. I just wish it didn't say "China" on it. Perhaps I need to get over my prejudice and think of "China" as "Switzerland."

2. It actually does make my coffee better. This is a far lesser point because even the $6.95 tamper would have done that, but it does make my coffee better. I get a nice crema on my espresso, which I had never gotten before. I always blamed my cheap Mr. Coffee, but now I know it was just the cheap plastic spoon with a flat bottom for a tamper to blame. In case you're wondering, because I found this info hard to find, the reason for a tamper is to pack the coffee grounds so the water doesn't just run right past it and has to be drawn through the grains. Supposedly, you are supposed to tamp down with 30 to 40 pounds of force, which you just can't do with a plastic spoon.

UPDATE:

I have now owned this tamper since 20 minutes ago. What can I say? It's a tamper. It's not going to cure cancer or bring about world peace. If you're thinking to put this on a credit card, don't do it. You don't need it. Don't buy into materialism and needless consumerism. You can tamp your coffee with a metal spoon. I'm sure you have one of those already. It's not going to make your coffee all that much better. Crema is for the bourgeoisie. Get off your computer and go to the park with your children.
1212 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 30, 2011
A good press is essential to making good espresso. If you don't get the grounds packed enough, the steam will go through too quickly to get all the oils extracted; if you pack the grounds too tightly, the steam won't be able to get through the grounds quickly enough and you'll have a burnt, bitter taste (a la $tarbucks). The perfect method is to use a flat-bottomed tamper, press down with about 50 lbs of force and twist. This is a substantial, ergonomic tamper that will let you do just that. It feels nice and firm in the hand, the rounded "jewel" on top lets you push hard without any discomfort, and it's solid metal (not cladding over softer metal as some of the other tampers are made these days) so you don't have to worry about the dishwasher turning it gray or getting heavy metals in your drink.

I spend a lot of time researching products before I spend my hard-earned dollars and this was no exception. After comparing the reviews of products and comparing the specs to what professional baristas in Italy say is the perfect tamper, this one is the hands-down winner.
on March 10, 2009
This is the second tamper that I bought. The first one was 1mm too big for my Mr. Coffee machine. It was my fault that I didn't measure it carefully and it was misleading to see the first tamper I bought featured with the Mr. Coffee machine I have as having been bought together by some customers. Thanks for the review posted earlier about this being the perfect one for the Mr. Coffee machine. Anyway, this tamper works and looks great. I used it for the first time today and I can taste the difference. I had been using a measuring cup while waiting for this item in the mail. I like the feel of it in my hands and it has a pretty good weight. I love the price too. I ordered this from Chef Tools and it was a pretty smooth transaction- great communication and fast shipping.
on April 2, 2009
I have a DeLonghi EC155 and the inside diameter of the portafilter basket is 51mm. Many larger machines have 53 or 58mm baskets so these larger tampers won't work with the EC155. I couldn't find any 50 or 51mm sizes, so I ordered this 49mm size. It works perfectly, no problems whatsoever. Much more convenient than using the attached plastic tamper on the machine. The problem with that is that you must push the basket UP to compress the coffee while holding your other hand on top of the machine to hold it down. Much, much easier to just push down with this tamper. Also, this is a substantial tool, made of 18/8 Stainless Steel and weighs in at almost a half-pound (7.5 oz or 212 g). Unlike aluminum alloys, this will not discolor in the dishwasher.
on May 28, 2012
Perfect fit for my Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I did measure the basket first with a caliper and picked this one based on the size and price. It is well made, beautifully polished and has a decent weight to it. There's not much else to say about it, as it is a pretty simple tool.
on November 21, 2007
If you own a Pavoni, this is the tamper for you. It fits the filter basket to a "T" and with it's slightly rolled edges allows for a gentle rolling action when tamping down your choice of grind.
I needed a 49MM tamp for my ROK espresso machine portafitlter. The blue Tamper attracted me for it's looks, size, and price. The tamper is well made. I press from the top so have no issues with the narrower top or holding it to tamp. It fits perfectly and I have a firm puck after the espresso is made. The blue on top is also very attractive.
on May 21, 2015
I purchased this 49mm Espresso Tamper for use with my Mr. Coffee BVMC ECM-260 model Espresso machine (look forward to a review of that later.) I must say, the tamper's construction is solid. When I first received the package, and took it out of the box, I was worried that it would be too big for my machine's portafilter. This is a problem I had with another tamper a week prior (Terry's Tamper 50mm-58mm or so.) I was pleasantly surprised when I used it for the first time. The tamper fit right into the portafilter all the way down, and there is barely any space around the sides of it, the perfect fit. If you have a Mr. Coffee espresso machine, or any other espresso machine with an unusually small portafilter basket, then this is the product for you! I promise, you will not be disappointed. The quality of my espresso shots that I am getting from my machine has improved quite a bit as well, now that I can pack the coffee in tight enough to properly brew.
on February 22, 2008
It isn't a $70 Reg Barber tamper and if I made 100s of espressos every day the small handle would probably bother me, but for my home espresso machine and the two or three shots I pull every day it is perfect. Nice weight, very smooth machining and it fits my 50mm filter perfectly. It looks good too.
on March 27, 2011
This tamper is the perfect size for my Delonghi EC702 espresso filter (is slightly smaller). The weight and construction makes tamping easy to maneuver and accomplish for a nice cup of espresso. The polished stainless material has been holding up well and I haven't noticed anything wrong or any smells associated with the material, despite it being manufactured in China. The acrylic top had some marks that I needed a scotch pad to clean, which resulted it parts of it getting scuffed, which is my only complaint. Hopefully this does not happen to others. Considering the cost of the tamper (around $14 when I purchased it), I'm very satisfied, as there was no way for me to justify spending >$50 on a brand name, top-end tamper.