5.0 out of 5 stars Tamps well
I have a DeLonghi EC155 and the smaller size fits very nicely for tamping. It is able to hold over 50 lbs of pressure with no problem. I used the tamping method from Good Eats, where you put 50lbs of pressure, then twist.
Published on January 11, 2008 by Steven Smith

There are large machining marks (see photos at the top of the page) on both sides of this tamper. They stick out so far I wasn't able to get the tamper all the way down into the filter, so the coffee is not properly packed. I've seen at least a few other reviewers note this problem, so it seems to be common.

I thought I'd try to grind the machining marks down...
Published on January 10, 2011 by Jack Huesman

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamps well, January 11, 2008
Steven Smith (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS. Not solid metal! Cladding over cheaper, softer metal core! POSSIBLE HEALTH HAZARD!, January 10, 2011
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)

I thought I'd try to grind the machining marks down so the tamper would fit. Much to my surprise, considering the description as "heavy cast metal" this is metal cladding on some very soft (I was able to cut it with a pocket knife) metal. There is a VERY real danger here that some of this thin cladding metal is going to come off and get into your coffee grounds. I don't know what kind of metal the cladding or the core are made of, but it isn't stainless steel, so I strongly recommend against taking the chance on some of this getting into your coffee.

I bought this tamper Red 49mm Espresso Tamper Stainless Steel Coffee instead and am very happy with the results...and the fact that it's stainless steel.

Amazon should seriously consider removing this item from the catalog given the health hazards associated with ingesting heavy metals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do, September 17, 2007
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
I have looked everywhere for a tamper that would fit Saeco Aroma for a sensible price, but 53mm tampers were either too expensive or just unavailable. Although this one doesn't fit properly, the small end of it covers about 90% of the basket. Overall, I'm happy with it. It's a temporary solution. Tamper brand or construction is not a huge variable in the resulting quality of an espresso shot. You might at well use something out of the hardware store as long as it tamps the loose grounds well enough. This is why I am skeptical of tampers that cost 50-100 dollars. If RSVP Terry tamper fits your basket's proportions you should consider it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too cheap to be true, December 15, 2011
Fun in MB (Morro Bay, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
Bought it to use wih my DeLonghi EC155 espresso maker. Worked fine but finish is really crappy, some mystery shiny plating over a crummy cast metal. Returned it when it started to flake metal particles. Instead I got the RSVP SS tamper for $14.95 which is worlds better of solid SS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a tamper for you if you want the best tasting espresso., October 16, 2009
John Harris (Littleton Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
Yes, 1 star! I would go less if I could. While yes, this could be a step up from the cheapo plastic tamps that arrive with your machine, it is a very small step, and in some cases a step backwards. I invite you to consider saving up a little longer and getting a better tamper. The "Rosewood" brand tampers are a knockoff of the industry standard Reg Barber, and are just over $20 here on Amazon. They are proof that you don't need to spend $70 if you are a home user that is not pulling hundreds of shots a day.

You really do need a tamper that is sized to properly fit your porta-filter, or your pulls WILL suffer. Measure the inside of the filter and buy accordingly. The pressurized water will go the path of least resistance, and if you tamper is too small, you will over extract the outside edge and under extract the middle. The result is a shot with little to no body and bitter. Did I mention bitter? A good tamper makes a HUGE difference.

Being flat on both ends makes this tamper very hard to use correctly - in my experience. Getting a level tamp was challenging.

Do yourself and your espresso a big favor and just walk away from this item. Search online for videos on how to properly tamp, and you will quickly see why this tamper is not a good choice, and learning all you can about the process will only improve your shots.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT DISHWASHER SAFE, September 11, 2011
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
It Fits It works It's Not DishWasher Safe. I ran it through the dishwasher and it came out looking nasty so i used bonami to clean it up. shavings were coming off of it before that

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't put this in the dishwasher, April 12, 2008
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
This product is not a heavy item, but it works very well. The flat design makes it easy to tamp down coffee. It is not dishwasher safe. If you put it in the dishwasher it will come out looking like tarnished and dull aluminum. I speak from experience here. It still works great, but I don't like things I have to hand wash when I have a machine that will do it for me!

1.0 out of 5 stars FAIL, December 1, 2010
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
The description says: "heavy cast metal alloy is dishwasher safe." Do NOT put it in the dishwasher.
The metal literally washes off, and it becomes completely unusable.
Contains tin, aluminum, zinc...not metals you want touching your food.

5.0 out of 5 stars good find, January 18, 2007
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
how can you rate a tamper? well, it fits in the basket and it tamps down the coffee. I guess Terry's tamper does just that. It was a great price, I mean come on, who's the numbskull who would pay $20 for an item to tamp his grounds?

I was impressed by the fast shipping and great customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement, November 22, 2008
L. A. Richards (East Longmeadow, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso (Kitchen)
It's rare that a small purchase ($8.00) can make such a big difference. I'm new to the espresso experience and I was using the art-deco plastic girder-looking tamper that came with the Airette unit. After reading the reviews below I bought Terry's Tamper and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. It's a handy size and it allowed me to exert a greater pressure while tamping the grind and the result was a better cup of espresso. I seem to get a better extraction from a tighter tamp therefore greater taste and value from my coffee. What more can one ask?

RSVP Terry's Tamper for Espresso