Published 9 months ago by Joosby C.

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Happy camper [NOT ANYMORE]
I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about, they most likely work for competitors and are not real customers.

Published 9 months ago by David G.

4.0 out of 5 stars upgrade on performance vs n66u, ac66u---But - Updated vs r7000, October 9, 2013
Joosby C. (scottsdale, az United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router (Personal Computers)
10/11/13 UPDATE : Received router on 10/8 and review was written with 1st day experiences, I ranked it a 5 star purchase at the time. I'll leave that review intact as a basis of the overall experience but will add a brief update first and my score is going to go down based off of that. since first day, I have started to notice diminished performance that gets alleviated with reboots, obviously not ideal though. Others are reporting degrading signal strength over time on the 5ghz band too. It feels like a fw update could fix it but it's a lot to pay for a hope and a prayer. This sent me to test out the r7000 so today I tried out the netgear r7000 to compare/contrast. tested via ipad4 and iphone 5s at distances of ~40 feet, ~65 feet, and ~85 feet all on the 5ghz band. In general, the ac68u was 10-20 mbps faster then the r7000 on downstream, at times a few mbps faster on the uploads. at the furthest distance, the ac68u was upwards of 30mbps better although i'll note, the iphone 5s connection at that distance was fairly sporadic for both routers. At times could get decent speeds, at times couldn't get connected so I went to the 2.4 band on the 5s and on average kept a decent connection but not great and the ac68u frankly had a pronounced speed advantage on the 2.4 band here. Not all roses hence why I have dinged the router a star though. On average, the r7000 was noticeably more consistent with its speeds at each distance while the ac68u had wilder fluctuations in either direction. 20mbps better on one reading, 40 worse on another. In my rankings, I tried to show what they got on the high end of results but the ac68u definitely had moments well below as well. It was easier to assess what the r7000 was going to give me, it typically differed in results by 3-5 mbps. At this point I'm torn, not sure what to do. On one hand, the ac68u is giving me better speeds at longer distances, something anyone would want. On the other hand, the signal may be degrading over time and the speeds are not as consistent as the r7000(frankly, these issues may be related). With the netgear, it seemed more reliable and while the speeds are not as high as the ac68u, its still more then good enuf and close enuf to the ac68u. But conversely, it doesn't give me the range I wanted that had me upgrading in the first place. I may sit on this for a few days and pray a asus fw is coming within that time. Either way, I've dropped 1 star and not 2 mainly because while its not the hero I once thought it was, at its diminished moments, its still better then what I got out of the rt-n66u, the router that the following review will tell you, was my previous champ over the ac66u.

10/08/13 well, in the short time I've been using the ac68u router today, I am noticing a further eradication of dead spots I had with the n66u and ac66u. at the spots I was pushing the limits of connectivity before, the signal is significantly stronger with the new one.

The n66u when it came out definitely addressed many issues I would have with Linksys and netgear routers so I been loyal to them since then. I have a unique setup to where in a very elongated rectangular house, the router sits at one extreme end, that plus coupled it's a brick house has always brought challenges in getting to the other side. I tried upgrading to the ac66u looking for any miniscule improvement I could get but to be honest, after trying 3 different ac66u's, my n66u beat them all in range. In googling a bit, you could see others saying same thing, the r66u actually went farther then the newer version built on relatively the same hardware.

Having this router out of the box beat my n66u is frankly impressive for me so I will see how it goes over the next few days. I've seen the conflicting reviews on which is better, this or the new netgear badboy r7000 and frankly I think it may just even more confirm how hard it is to review a router as everyone has different conditions and two top routers like these will act differently for each. For me, I'm seeing what that cnet review said frankly so far. If it continues as the router is left on for some time, don't think i'll bark up the r7000 tree. the 2.4ghz is considerably longer and more powerful with higher throughput at the limits. The 5ghz hasn't necessarily increased in reach(I always got good reach with it though)as like before, it doesn't reach the last room in the house, but when testing at the same limits as the r66u before, the throughput is considerably greater at that distance.

I've had to couple with the asus repeater to finish the trip to the end of the house in the past and with this one I may do so as well. In some quick testing the ipads could actually maintain the 5ghz band at the far end without the repeater with speedtest netting 50-70 mbps(160-200 mbps native connection but speedtest ios app seldom reports over 80-100 on the app even if right next to the router). But when I went to the iphone 5s, it could see it, sometimes slowly do something with it but by in large it was useless, had to go to the 2.4 band on the phone to get workable connection. with the repeater connected(which is about 70% of the house away from the router, everything was fine and measuring the speed of the repeater signal, it was higher then I've noticed before in previous configurations/routers again, showing the ac68u is delivering higher throughput at extended distances when compared to before. In my brief time with it, especially when coupled with the repeater, I am just getting a 30-50mbps bump in throughput throughout the house. Fantastic preliminary results so far but again will temper it with the test of time but even with that said, out of box, a ac66u didn't beat my year old at the time n66u.

As for a few of the reviewers so far here on amazon....
Not super scientific, more real world type testing and definitely not a test over time so can't comment to the reviewer showing degraded 5ghz signal over time but for the reviewer who wrote a review based on reviews elsewhere without actually owning one, I can't comment enough just how irresponsible and pointless your review was. It really should be removed. I can't imagine there are many scenarios where a review can be valid for an item a person currently doesn't own but I know one thing, your scenario was definitely not one of those. These routers are beginning to cost a lot of money and I know for people like me, we research tirelessly trying to make the best decision we can to make the most informed choice. Not only do reviews like yours not add a single thing to the legitimate conversation at hand, you frankly harm it by spewing nonsense. Maybe in fact the r7000 will be the king here, so be it but don't ding a item you don't own.

10/9/13 so I did some back and forth testing on various game and tablet devices between the n66u and ac68u in the furthest room of the house, a place with very spotty coverage on n66u. used speedtest app on android and ios devices, ran a few times per type

n66u 2.4ghz first, 5ghz second in mbps

nexus 7 2013 26 down 18 up, 57 down 18 up
shield no connection, minor connection on 5ghz
iphone 5s 8 down 6 up, 3 down 2 up
3ds connects and streams
vita connects and streams albeit slowly

this was the furthest trouble room, anywhere closer, as I mentioned earlier, seeing about a 20-50mbps bump. 5ghz continues to excel at distance with the asus line, something I never saw previously with Linksys and netgear although that may have changed by now. 2.4 is improved as well. at that furthest distance, connection can still be finicky with the ac68u although not nearly as much. it's not so much the distance added which is minor, its the throughput at those distances that's impressive. While shield at that distance struggles, with the repeater on it's obviously fine but more so, steam streaming works like a charm anywhere in the house. Anyone with a NVidia shield probably knows, any normal amount of distance from the router and the steam streaming doesn't work much at all. At this point, no matter where I go in the house, its working like a charm. Finally, a day in, not seeing any 5ghz degradation that I can notice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Happy camper [NOT ANYMORE], October 9, 2013

I received it last week (bought from another vendor because Amazon isn't selling the router yet), and it's been rock solid since then. I use a fairly complex mix of wireless and lan devices, lots of file sharing across my network (via AFP and NFS), lots of Airplaying between devices, and own iPads, iPhones, Macs, PCs, XBox, Apple TVs, MyQ (garage door), ADT (alarm), NAS, etc... And I use both 2.4GHz/5GHz bands, as well as guest networks on top of my private network. Everything is running just fine, massive improvement over the Netgear r6250 I used to own not too long ago (you can read my review on the product page).

I don't work for Asus, Netgear, or anybody else, I'm just a happy camper who finally found a solid router, and wanted to share my experience.

*** Update 10/12/2013 ***
Still rock solid, no reboot since my original review, no performance degradation (2.4GHz and 5GHz). AFP, Time Machine and Airplay still running flawlessly (my main issue with my previous Netgear R6250, they slowly died over time and required a reboot). Overall extremely happy so far.

*** Update 11/05/2013 ***
Well, I guess I talked too fast and others were right. 5GHz is still working great, but 2.4GHz suddenly dropped to crazy slow speeds (1MB/s). And yes, I upgraded to the latest firmware, restored factory default, etc. It's not a signal issue, or interference from other routers, I checked my stumbler, the signal is strong. But for some strange reason, throughput is now crippled. This happened out of the blue a couple of days after the upgrade. Not happy.

*** Update 11/07/2013 ***
Asus support trying to give me tips to troubleshoot, of course nothing's working. Sent the router back for repair (they won't even exchange a brand new router!). Oh, a friend of mine just gave me his Nighthawk from Netgear for the week, solid speeds over both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Seems to be working much better than my older r6250, fingers crossed...

*** Update 07/04/2014 ***
The radio was fixed, hardware issue. I sold the router since then though.

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 5:49:23 PM PST
Dear David G.

Please try installing the latest update that was released last week. We have been actively working on fixing 2.4Ghz issues affecting some network setups. Go to our support site at: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/#support

If you require further assistance with this product, then please contact me at cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3147441 in the subject line. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range, blazing performance, October 10, 2013
This is my 3rd Asus router, and it improves on the previous version it replaced. I first had a N66U that was eventually hit by lighting (along with many other items) and was destroyed.

I replaced that with an AC66U, and this 68U replaces that.

First, as always setup was very easy. I love that modern routers now force you to set up better security.

The range is approximately 10% better on the 2.4ghz band, and maybe 12-14% better on the 5ghz band measured using WIFI Analyzer on my S4 and Note 10.1.

Overall, I'm pleased and look forward to new firmware builds that improve the functionality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use and set-up, October 24, 2013
I purchased this item at Canada Computers since Amazon were out of stock.

I replaced my Asus AC66U with this new AC68U, so I am used to the product and interface.

Other reviews say how fast it is, so I concur, it is very fast, no need to add anything to that.

It also handles dual wan, which is a good feature if you want to make sure to always be connected (2 ISP's at same time).

The main comment I want to make with this router is that no matter how advanced this router is, it is extremely easy to set up, even if you are a networking newbie.

I also have this set-up with L2TP VPN service with stock firmware, so no need to flash it with DD-WRT or similar 3rd party firmware.

From the new box to having a full working network in the home, with VPN "in-router" set-up, 2TB USB 3.0 HDD attached and AICloud (your own personal cloud) set-up, and testing for good working condition, it took me less than 10 minutes... You can't beat that and ASUS did a fantastic job with the firmware and GUI.

After almost 2 weeks working 24 hours a day with fairly heavy use, it has yet to be reset once, which was an issue with the AC66U (in my case) that needed to be reset every day or so.

So far, that 220$ + router has been up to the "already-very-high" expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 month follow-up... still working well, July 3, 2014
Had the router for 9 months now.
Very satisfied with the performance and the updates from Asus. Device is very stable. Fail over needs a minor tuning, but overall this router does very well.

I work from home and starting having trouble with my DECT headset. A few months later, I resolved. Read on....

Here is a tip for working with high end wireless routers that use the 5Ghz frequency (n/a/ac) while also using the high end DECT headset (eg Jabra GN9350 headset) connected via USB and operating over VOIP. The advantage of using wifi on the 5Ghz frequency over the old 2.4Ghz frequency (b/g/legacy n) is that it is super fast (up to 857 Mbps bi-directionally vs 130/300 Mbps), has 2-3 times the range, is less crowed, and is highly stable.

High end routers achieve their speed by using several bandwidths (20/40/80 Mhz) and channels within those bandwidths simultaneously and by 'beamforming' (an algorithm that focuses radio power to a particular device). Note that the DECT phones ensure security hopping across bandwidths and channels.

Technically the wifi and the DECT transmissions shouldn't overlap, but I found a very loud clicking, sharp crackling, and near constant static on my DECT headset to the point where it was nearly unusable.

The issue was in my home office I have multiple wireless devices in one room. A printer and iPhone3 on 2.5Ghz (g/legacy n) , an iPhone5 on 5Ghz (n), two wireless laptop network adapters on 5Ghz (ac), and a DECT headset base. All sorts of radio beams were being focused in the room and saturating all frequencies, bandwidths, and channels. The router is about 80 ft away on another floor.

Solution... on the router I set the 2.4GHz frequency to use just the 20MHz bandwidth and reduced transmission power to the lowest possible before devices drop off. In my case, I dropped the power from 200mW to just 35mW. The 5Ghz frequency continues spread across the 20/40/80 MHz bandwidths at full power (200mW) . My DECT headset is now crystal clear.

My equipment
Router: ASUS RT-AC68
Wireless AC adapters - Edimax 1200AC and Intel AC 7260HMW
Home office is 80 linear feet from router, through a wall and up one floor.
Even at this distance, "AC" speed range is 780 - 867 mbps, all signal bars at full .
Throughput is about 400 Mb per minute to the home network drives (Synology NAS 213)

1.0 out of 5 stars Performance monster when it works!, July 9, 2014
Given the great reviews about its performance I thought I buy it and give it a try. I was a little unsure given I have never purchased anything from Asus. This router is replacing a Comcast rental wireless router so I thought this would easily outperform it. The setup was super easy and updating firmware looks to be equally easy. The general layout of the setup page was done very well, better than most. The app is great and definitely an added bonus.
When it works, this router kills anything I have ever owned. The distance I can travel in and outside my house is amazing; nothing has come close to it. The problem, which is a huge one, is that both wireless signals, 5G and 2.4G, drop frequently, 20+ times per day. Nothing is more frustrating than streaming a movie and seeing the dreaded loading donut. I’m hoping customer service can help or this will turn into a $200 paper weight. I will update when I hear from customer service.

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 1:27:49 PM PDT
Dear D.V.,

I apologize for the issues you have faced. I would like if you would please contact me and place case # N140721207 in the subject line for a reference to your case. For a speedy troubleshoot please provide the following: Firmware version, config file, and router system log. I'm here to help you and all others with these issues, as our customer loyalty department dedicated to bringing a resolution to all issues related to our products.

Adam J.
Networking_Support@asus.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost useful :-(, February 17, 2014
Sciphilios (Huntsville ON) - See all my reviews
Just one star? Well, that's not so much rating the router, as rating tech support for the router. Or rather the complete *lack* of support. I bought this product to add wifi to my rural home, where the only internet available is via an air card (Rogers Rocket Stick). The specs and reviews all say this device should support the stick - but the manual devotes half a paragraph or less to setting it up, and it ain't quite that easy. I just needed a few minutes guidance from someone familiar with the product.

So i spent 75 minutes on hold, at my expense, on 4 separate attempts to reach ASUS by phone. Sure - they have on-line chat - but you can't get instructions over the internet, about how to set up your internet connection. I begged for a callback, i emailed at the ASUS website, nada. After a week of trying, my option to return the product was about to expire, so i had to give up and send it back. And now the sale is over, so if ASUS called today, it would cost me another $30.

This surprised me, because ASUS was pretty good helping me with a problem computer. I'm willing to wait on hold on a toll-free number, i'm willing to pay long distance charges to get help. I'm *not* willing to pay long distance, to wait on hold, and then not get any help. The one time i reached someone, they put me on hold to "build a case", then the line went dead. Phooie!

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 4:10:14 PM PST
Dear Amazon Customer,

We sincerely apologize to hear your experience with our technical support. If you have any inquiries about our products, I encourage you to reach out to our Customer Loyalty Team. Please reach out to me at cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3481719 in the subject line. We provide continuous technical support and continuous communication at no cost to you. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this at this time., February 20, 2014
As a router, this router is fine, in fact it functions better than any other router I've owned in the past. (which have mostly been various Linksys).

However, at this time I cannot recommend this product. Let me explain.

I purchased this router expressly with the intent to use the built in USB 3.0 functionality. I was replacing an older model macbook with a new macbook pro. As many know, the new macbook pro's have very nice, fast SSDs, but the ones with a good amount of room get super expensive very quickly. I was only able to afford the 256GB version. As such the massive music library had to be moved off to another computer OR be placed on a USB 3.0 drive and plugged into the router to be available on the network.

So I bought the router, I bought an appropriate USB 3.0 device which itself works fantastically. Plugged it in to the router, switched on the iTunes server and prepared to rock out.

.... and nothing happened. No computer on the network could find the iTunes server. I soon discovered that if I turned off the iTunes server in the routers interface and turned it back on, the iTunes server would be discovered. It would even work ... for like 3 to 5 minutes before disappearing and becoming undiscoverable once more.

I threw my hands up in dispair, tried various USB 2 drives of which I have many of different make and model. All with similar results. The iTunes server shows up, for a time, and then becomes lost.

The story with the DLNA server was the same and soon it became apparent that pretty much all USB functions were operating the same. They would be discoverable for a short time, work for a short time and then simply disappear.

I went to ASUS's support forums hoping that I could get some help with the matter and received zero replies save one from someone having similar issues. ASUS has so far not responded.

Now I could forgive a small thing like a built in bonus feature like an iTunes server not working... on a $70 - $80 device, but I paid $220 for this thing and the one function I got it for simply doesn't work.

TL;DR: $220 ASUS RT-AC68U works fine as a simple router (But so does a $60 linksys), the USB functions DO NOT WORK! And so far ASUS doesn't seem to care. I give it 2 stars because at least it routes a simple internet connection. I haven't tested the VPN yet but I plan to in the future.

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 2:17:56 PM PST
Dear Mr. Zsiba,

Please ensure that you update its firmware by visiting our support site at: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/#support
For further assistance, please contact me at cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3459635 in the subject line. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars The firmware updates released in the last month seem to have fixed the problem., November 20, 2013
The most recent firmware updates seem to have fixed the problems. This is an outstanding router when not saddled with instability like it was at first with poor firmware. Extraordinarily high throughput speeds. Highly recommended. BUT, UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE IMMEDIATELY....AND OFTEN.

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 3:21:35 PM PST
Dear M. Barnard,

If you'd like to discuss this topic further, please contact me at cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3170955 in the subject line. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast when working, April 17, 2014
Bought this router to replace my aging Asus Rt-16. My old asus router was rock solid. Reset it every 3 months and it worked like a charm. I expected this router to have the same reliability. I was sorely disappointed however.

I have had this router for about 3 months and it is constantly dropping the wifi signal, kicking clients off, and massive lag spikes. I plugged in my old router to test this and I didn't have any problems.

I tried contacting asus customer support and got nowhere, I got redirected multiple times to different technical support agents. I got no resolution to my problem even though I spent well over an hour on the phone with them. My phone cut out and when I called back I was instructed to perform the same steps even though I repeatedly said I had already done this.

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 3:20:46 PM PDT
Dear Otis,

Can you tell me which firmware version your router is currently on? To discuss your concerns about your unit, please reach out to me at cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3638334 in the subject line. Also, please provide me its serial number. All of our ASUS products are worry-free as we provide all of our ASUS customers, like you, with continuous technical support, continuous communication at no additional cost. In addition, your ASUS router is backed by a 24-month manufacturer's warranty. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

Rate and Discover Movies