Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Model: AC1900|Color: BLACK|Change

on November 13, 2013
Well I guess I must be one of the lucky ones that has not experienced any problems with this top notch router. I bought this from Best-Buy last week as I was in a neighborhood that had one in stock. Amazon didn't have any - but now I see that they do!!! Gah !! Oh well. The speed and robustness of the router is far better than any of the other routers I have had (LinkSys, Dlink and SMC). Those are now boxed up and put to rest.

The set up was easy. Plugged it in to my cable modem, rebooted everything and the router and modem recognized each other straight away - no need to configure qateways or IP addresses. I used the same WPA pass phrase as the previous router and all my devices were connected.

The reach and bandwidth of the signal - like most other people have experienced - is very strong and stable for all B/G/N devices. I don't have any AC devices yet. VPN works - which is essential for access to my company's servers and intranet.

The router interface is so intuitive and is dynamic. When you make a change you see that change immediately - no need to refresh the screen. The network layout, the information it pulls from attached devices and clients is like a mini network management system.

I bought a Toshiba 1.5TB USB 3.0 external drive, attached it to each device that I wanted to copy the majority of my media files from then plugged it in to the router's USB 3.0 slot(Network Attached Storage). The router recognized it. Any additional files I found I just dragged and dropped onto the NAS through the network. I then enabled DLNA in the router - my Galaxy S3, Asus TF201, Bluray Player, Smart TV and laptops all recognized the Toshiba drive as a media server. I don't think I need the PC based media server I painstakingly built a year ago any longer.

ASUS AiCloud is great. I can access my files over the LAN or remotely though my Galaxy S3 or any other device. I have access to my data where ever I am. Total freedom at last. This is for access only - I could see no way cutting and pasting files through the AiCLOUD when remote. However Cloud Disk (a feature available in the router does allow copying of files and folders to the NAS). If you want to just see the NAS as a local drive without using the Cloud then Windows XP, 7, 8 sees it as just another drive on the network so no issues in terms of copying / deleting files and folders. For my Android devices I downloaded ES3 Explorer and File manger from the App Store which then gave me that ability to cut and past files as if the NAS was local - similar to Windows.

Now I am sure that all those clever people out there would say "the technology has been out there for years" but for me this ASUS RT AC68u router just made it so simple and quick.

I could go on but so far I am very pleased. It's just so versatile - a router, NAS, Media Server, VPN, Private and Public Cloud. Just makes my life so simple, saves on energy costs and real estate (space) no need for separate media server, screen, keyboard and mouse, no need for network repeaters.

If you have any questions I am happy to help answer them based on my limited experience of what so far appears to be a great product.

*** UPDATE Day #17

Still no issues, no down time, no reboots. PERFECT!!!

*** UPDATE - 8 weeks in
Not a single blip or error. No slowing down. Super fast super reliable. Was I just lucky?

*** UPDATE - 14 months in
Again - not a single issue. Still super fast - never any dropouts.
99 comments|307 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2014
Purchased this router in January 2014 and have had no issues. Firmware is still at 3.0.0.4.374, hardware version is A1. I purchased this router after I bricked a Cisco router from a bad firmware update. I'm writing this review (actually more of a potential solution) because I noticed a little over 10% of the reviews are 1 star (which is "normal" percentage of any product) and after scanning through the 1 stars the common theme is intermittent wi-fi drops and "weird" router behavior when using the USB 3.0 port. Something to be aware of is that USB 3.0 ports, cables, and devices transmit on the 2.4 GHz - 2.5 GHz range. From the Intel White Paper:

"As previously shown in Figure 2-2, the noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high
(in the 2.4-2.5 GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on a
PC platform, the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 cable. If
the antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of the
above USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadband
noise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR and limit the sensitivity of any
wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This
may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link."

I experienced this when I built a new computer and placed the router on top of the tower on my desk and plugged my Patriot USB 3.0 thumb drive in the USB 3.0 port on top of the tower which is about 8 inches from the router antenna. My desktop is Ethernet, so was not affected. Laptop1 was using 5.0 GHz band and was not affected. Laptop2 was using 2.4 GHz band and could not connect wirelessly. Took an hour to figure this out (only variable that changed was distance of thumb drive to antenna). My old computer's USB 3.0 port was at the bottom back of the tower and farther away. So basically, USB 3.0 acts as a router wi-fi jammer if located too close and it's easy to mistake this common issue as a router intermittent wi-fi drop issue.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2013
Update 22-Nov-2013: ASUS has published firmware 371 which fixes the NAT loopback issue which only occured when hardware acceleration was enabled (default). Congrats to ASUS for confirming, owning and resolving the issue. The firmware is now available on ASUS website.

Update 7-Nov-2013: Recommend you install Super Power Supply® 3 x 9dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna for Routers ASUS RT-N16 RT-N66U RT-AC66U RT-AC1750 D-Link DIR-655 DIR-665 Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TP-Link TL-WR1043ND TL-WR2543ND TL-WDR4300 Omni Directional Network Extension Mini PCIe.... Range has greatly increased, connection rate is 10% to 70% improved, signal seems more stable. I'm getting full USB 2.0 disk transfer rates (24MBps) through 2 walls and one ceiling.

Update 23-Oct-2013: Firmware 205 has issue with port forwarding. I'm unable to port forward and access devices on both (simultaneously) local LAN (192.168.1.x) and internet. Works fine on other routers. ASUS has confirmed this issue. They say the fix is to change LAN->Switch Settings->Hardware Accelerator to Off. I can confirm the fix works.

Here's some real world 802.11ac results for you. Don't you hate reading networking reviews that only quote connect speeds and not real world speeds?

Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Client: Dell XPS 15z notebook upgraded with 802.11ac mini-pci adapter (Intel Network 7260.HMWG), Windows 8.1, Intel 7260 driver from Intel website (19 Sept 2013).

The ASUS RT-AC68U has eliminated all the WiFi dead zones in my house (3 floors, 3600sf). I'm getting downloads around 100Mbps in most rooms although sometimes as low as 6Mbps at the edges. Within 10 feet of the router, I'm getting downloads around 280Mbps. Wired Ethernet speeds are around 400Mbps wired.

With a SSD attached to the USB 2.0 port of the router, I get file transfer speeds of 200Mbps using USB 2.0.
With USB 3.0, I get around 280Mbps speeds, and 400Mbps wired. I had to disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" to get USB 3.0 working.

I'm not sure if I really see the extra speed of USB 3.0 as throughput easily dips below USB 2.0 max speed when 10+ feet from router.

FWIW, I notice that the Intel Network 7260.HMWG seems to give me 25% better battery life than the OEM mini-pic WiFi adapter. YMMV.
0Comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2015
Excellent router for the price. In the old days, a run of the mill Linksys was our usual choice. Then after moving on to a dirt road" rural back woods of Central Florida we struggled for any access at all. First let me say never ever ever get sucked into a Satellite Internet service like Wild Blue. With pings of 2,500 ms and dialup speeds with somewhat expensive monthly rates, I hated it and on the exact date of the 24 month contract we turned to wireless. Only AT&T worked in our location. .
With a 40 foot mast pole and expensive special cable to a Yagi antenna to get 850kb to a, when lucky, 2mb download speed, our Internet bill was more then our Property tax payment, lol. Cradlepoint routers were recommended to us by a Wilson Antenna tech and they worked well but we're pricey. I think they were more like what a business would use.

Moved to town in a retirement community and signed up for a 150 mb data plan. Bought the Arris 6183 modem and the Asus RT-AC68W. Our carrier is Bright House and since we bought our own equipment the only support they offered was to make sure our modem was connected and they left.

Hooking the modem to one of the desktops and using the IE browser we smiled ear to ear when the Speedtest.net Ookla test needle exceeded our 150mb plan and stopped at 160mb. Chrome yielded 170mb.

On to the router. I was surprised how much difference our devices modems varied. Our small laptops only managed 35mbs down, my Galaxy Note 3 and hubby's S5 averaged 128mb and surprisingly the 2.4 and 5 get were were close. My Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 flew to 158mbs, and his 8.4 Galaxy Pro managed 138mbs.

I had a Hulu Plus tv show on my Galaxy Note 3 cell going when I left the house, and I never lost signal until I reached the stop sign 3 Houses down.

So I could not be more pleased with the over the top performance of the Asus -68. However, the combination of the Arris top of the line model 6183 deserves probably more then half the credit.

My hubbie had Bright House back to upgrade the TV for his sports. When the installer was checking the TV signal, he said he had never seen another customer on a 150mb plan pulling almost 160mb on a tablet before.

We hooked up the new Samsung 8550 4k 3D smart TV directly to the ethernet from the Asus router and the modem in the Sammy TV was testing over 100mb down at 4pm, the slowest time of the day. That is when all the kids are out of school and bogging down Bright House.

I remember being at the library at 4pm in the past (they use Bright House) and I could not even run a you tube on my tablet there because off their system being overwhelmed.

We have not had time to go into the router and play with all the settings. It is running out of the box condition.
°°°Plus, when moving the router, I knocked it on the floor and broke off the center antenna. Even with a missing antenna, ( trying to find a white replacement one ) I still get over 150mb on my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet in the bedroom.

The image was taken from the stored results of Speedtest.net, 2 rooms away from the router with one missing antenna. Notice the time is during many people's lunch periods and suggests heavier online traffic. You know people checking emails and viewing you tubes, etc.
That came from my Samsung 12.2 Note Pro and on wifi.

Be Well,
Carol.
review image
on October 9, 2013
10/11/13 UPDATE : Received router on 10/8 and review was written with 1st day experiences, I ranked it a 5 star purchase at the time. I'll leave that review intact as a basis of the overall experience but will add a brief update first and my score is going to go down based off of that. since first day, I have started to notice diminished performance that gets alleviated with reboots, obviously not ideal though. Others are reporting degrading signal strength over time on the 5ghz band too. It feels like a fw update could fix it but it's a lot to pay for a hope and a prayer. This sent me to test out the r7000 so today I tried out the netgear r7000 to compare/contrast. tested via ipad4 and iphone 5s at distances of ~40 feet, ~65 feet, and ~85 feet all on the 5ghz band. In general, the ac68u was 10-20 mbps faster then the r7000 on downstream, at times a few mbps faster on the uploads. at the furthest distance, the ac68u was upwards of 30mbps better although i'll note, the iphone 5s connection at that distance was fairly sporadic for both routers. At times could get decent speeds, at times couldn't get connected so I went to the 2.4 band on the 5s and on average kept a decent connection but not great and the ac68u frankly had a pronounced speed advantage on the 2.4 band here. Not all roses hence why I have dinged the router a star though. On average, the r7000 was noticeably more consistent with its speeds at each distance while the ac68u had wilder fluctuations in either direction. 20mbps better on one reading, 40 worse on another. In my rankings, I tried to show what they got on the high end of results but the ac68u definitely had moments well below as well. It was easier to assess what the r7000 was going to give me, it typically differed in results by 3-5 mbps. At this point I'm torn, not sure what to do. On one hand, the ac68u is giving me better speeds at longer distances, something anyone would want. On the other hand, the signal may be degrading over time and the speeds are not as consistent as the r7000(frankly, these issues may be related). With the netgear, it seemed more reliable and while the speeds are not as high as the ac68u, its still more then good enuf and close enuf to the ac68u. But conversely, it doesn't give me the range I wanted that had me upgrading in the first place. I may sit on this for a few days and pray a asus fw is coming within that time. Either way, I've dropped 1 star and not 2 mainly because while its not the hero I once thought it was, at its diminished moments, its still better then what I got out of the rt-n66u, the router that the following review will tell you, was my previous champ over the ac66u.

10/08/13 well, in the short time I've been using the ac68u router today, I am noticing a further eradication of dead spots I had with the n66u and ac66u. at the spots I was pushing the limits of connectivity before, the signal is significantly stronger with the new one.

The n66u when it came out definitely addressed many issues I would have with Linksys and netgear routers so I been loyal to them since then. I have a unique setup to where in a very elongated rectangular house, the router sits at one extreme end, that plus coupled it's a brick house has always brought challenges in getting to the other side. I tried upgrading to the ac66u looking for any miniscule improvement I could get but to be honest, after trying 3 different ac66u's, my n66u beat them all in range. In googling a bit, you could see others saying same thing, the r66u actually went farther then the newer version built on relatively the same hardware.

Having this router out of the box beat my n66u is frankly impressive for me so I will see how it goes over the next few days. I've seen the conflicting reviews on which is better, this or the new netgear badboy r7000 and frankly I think it may just even more confirm how hard it is to review a router as everyone has different conditions and two top routers like these will act differently for each. For me, I'm seeing what that cnet review said frankly so far. If it continues as the router is left on for some time, don't think i'll bark up the r7000 tree. the 2.4ghz is considerably longer and more powerful with higher throughput at the limits. The 5ghz hasn't necessarily increased in reach(I always got good reach with it though)as like before, it doesn't reach the last room in the house, but when testing at the same limits as the r66u before, the throughput is considerably greater at that distance.

I've had to couple with the asus repeater to finish the trip to the end of the house in the past and with this one I may do so as well. In some quick testing the ipads could actually maintain the 5ghz band at the far end without the repeater with speedtest netting 50-70 mbps(160-200 mbps native connection but speedtest ios app seldom reports over 80-100 on the app even if right next to the router). But when I went to the iphone 5s, it could see it, sometimes slowly do something with it but by in large it was useless, had to go to the 2.4 band on the phone to get workable connection. with the repeater connected(which is about 70% of the house away from the router, everything was fine and measuring the speed of the repeater signal, it was higher then I've noticed before in previous configurations/routers again, showing the ac68u is delivering higher throughput at extended distances when compared to before. In my brief time with it, especially when coupled with the repeater, I am just getting a 30-50mbps bump in throughput throughout the house. Fantastic preliminary results so far but again will temper it with the test of time but even with that said, out of box, a ac66u didn't beat my year old at the time n66u.

As for a few of the reviewers so far here on amazon....
Not super scientific, more real world type testing and definitely not a test over time so can't comment to the reviewer showing degraded 5ghz signal over time but for the reviewer who wrote a review based on reviews elsewhere without actually owning one, I can't comment enough just how irresponsible and pointless your review was. It really should be removed. I can't imagine there are many scenarios where a review can be valid for an item a person currently doesn't own but I know one thing, your scenario was definitely not one of those. These routers are beginning to cost a lot of money and I know for people like me, we research tirelessly trying to make the best decision we can to make the most informed choice. Not only do reviews like yours not add a single thing to the legitimate conversation at hand, you frankly harm it by spewing nonsense. Maybe in fact the r7000 will be the king here, so be it but don't ding a item you don't own.

10/9/13 so I did some back and forth testing on various game and tablet devices between the n66u and ac68u in the furthest room of the house, a place with very spotty coverage on n66u. used speedtest app on android and ios devices, ran a few times per type

n66u 2.4ghz first, 5ghz second in mbps

nexus 7 2013 26 down 18 up, 57 down 18 up
shield no connection, minor connection on 5ghz
iphone 5s 8 down 6 up, 3 down 2 up
3ds connects and streams
vita connects and streams albeit slowly

this was the furthest trouble room, anywhere closer, as I mentioned earlier, seeing about a 20-50mbps bump. 5ghz continues to excel at distance with the asus line, something I never saw previously with Linksys and netgear although that may have changed by now. 2.4 is improved as well. at that furthest distance, connection can still be finicky with the ac68u although not nearly as much. it's not so much the distance added which is minor, its the throughput at those distances that's impressive. While shield at that distance struggles, with the repeater on it's obviously fine but more so, steam streaming works like a charm anywhere in the house. Anyone with a NVidia shield probably knows, any normal amount of distance from the router and the steam streaming doesn't work much at all. At this point, no matter where I go in the house, its working like a charm. Finally, a day in, not seeing any 5ghz degradation that I can notice.
2727 comments|290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2015
This was an upgrade from an older router, which performed quite well. The new router (AC68U) has even better coverage on 2.4 and 5G networks. Getting wifi to all corners of the house has been a challenge. I used to have a main router and one or two others at opposite ends of the house. This worked fine for stationery users, but if anyone was moving from one side of the house to the other while streaming audio or video, the handoff did not go well. Their phone or tablet would hold onto the old AP and eventually get poor signal then switch.

Using this Asus router solved the issue. I put it in on the upper floor in the middle of the house and the signal reaches everywhere on both floors. Speeds are quite good. I have fiber internet (150/150) and even a floor away will get 60/60 on 2.4 and 158/85 on the 5G network (see photo). The signal is about 3db strong in most places in the house than my older router. It also seems to do a better job of streaming audio to the far corners of the house.

One other feature that continues to be quite useful is the parental controls. I have 4 kids and getting them to put away their electronics has required some effort. After reminding them day in and day out and needing to follow up, it is much easier to set the router to knock them off at 10pm or whatever time I choose. It's done by device...so I can allow the older kids more time and turn off access to the internet earlier for the younger kids.
review image review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 24, 2014
I got this with very high hopes. I had read reviews that it was the "best router on the market" and similar others. I got rid of my Netgear 6200 which was and still is---the very best router I have ever owned.

The first issue I had with this was the inability to get into the setup routine after I had done so one time. It kept saying "not available" and I read somewhere that there was a problem with ASUS firmware that if you logged in one time =it would then freeze out any attempts in the future from https--. I tried an unsecure--no s-, and couldn't. I had to reset to factory settings and that dropped the firmware a level or two but its worked ok since.

The second issue that I CONSTANTLY deal with is my wireless printers do not stay connected. I set them up on the netgear ONE TIME. I have reset them up on this--either with wps button or by physically entering pins several times. I discovered that running the WPS routine from inside the router---in the admin/firmware---(when logged on) it works much better. The button is discriminate and doesn't always seem to connect the printers, and then they don't remain connected.

The THIRD issue is signal strength. The netgear reached all over my house, no problem. I first noticed I couldn't reliably get wifi from parts of my house. I had to use a wifi analyzer (free app on android) to adjust the antennas to get the best signal It now works but the signal is nothing like it was on the netgear. In fact my computer has 4/5 bars on its little signal strength meter. Not acceptable.

I have attached some photos to show you the size. The things that are good are that the USB works well ==it didn't work as well on netgear and did not have USB 3.0 like this does. You must leave it on the stand, and you must also adjust the antennas for larger houses. I put a cd case in front of it to give you an idea of size. Its about 6x8 or 9. Its not as big as you think.

It seems to be working now, but its been a tough month or two to get this working properly. I should have never bought it and wish I hadnt
review image review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Mark,

Did you know that placement of the router is key as it broadcast in a downward pyramid. Placing it in the center of the usage zone and high up ensures strong signal strength which ensures faster speeds. I have this router with 15 devices connected to it on WiFi and 2 on Ethernet. Please contact me and place case #N141128725 in the subject line for reference. For a speedy troubleshoot please provide the following: config file, and router system log, and the firmware version you are currently using. I'm here to help you and all others with these issues, as our customer loyalty department dedicated to bringing a resolution to all issues related to our products.

Sincerely,

Adam
ASUS Customer Loyalty
Networking_Support@asus.com
on December 24, 2015
I bought this three months ago; wish I had found it years earlier:

I have a serious 16yo geek / gamer whom, if allowed, would FIND a way to stay up all night and play games and do who knows what else.

This router has solved a significant issues we face as parents with the Parental Controls issues:

First, I debated for a while to give it five or four stars --there are a couple of things I do not like. However, overall it has been great. My biggest problem was my kids, and their abuse of the Internet at night, too long gaming, etc. I did try other expensive routers and returned them. This one does get them in their beds, away from the Internet at whatever time I set --and, once you get over the relatively small learning curve, is relatively easy.

I am by trade a geek. However, this message is NOT intended to be written at that level --even though this router has tons of features that would please even the geekest. This message is to PARENTS whom, IMHO, are very obligated these days to guard their children and whom typically need a way to stay ahead of technology and to protect them. . . this router, in addition to other tools, is a significant layer in the defense of our children.

Asus accomplishes Parental Controls by several methods: Time controls (that work) per any connected device; filters that effectively eliminate PORN and even messaging / file sharing, if desired, etc. Asus brands this by what they call "AI" controls (not sure what that stands for) also, their Firewall controls / website blocker works well, too. "E.g., when my kids stumble in school, I have entered "WarCraft" in their case in the firewall blocking which stops that problem in its tracks until the grades come up. . . Good. Worth the price of admission for just that! :-)

The learning curve, for even non-technical parents, I cannot imagine how it could be easier. But there is some learning to it. Primarily, this is done by typing in the IP address of the router in your browser, typically 192.168.1.1 and loggin in, Then, going to the "AI Controls" screen, seeing who is connected, and applying whatever restrictions you desire on that specific connected device. It works, (I love the time settings) and again, isn't that hard to do. Once mine saw that they cannot get around this, they started getting good night's sleep, etc.

My geek sons did eventually figure out how to SPOOF their "MAC" addresses (it isn't that hard to do) (A MAC address is the unique identifier for each device, and is shown on all screens and can be faked or "Spoofed") But, if you monitor this with some regularity, you can see when this happens as foreign-to-you addresses start popping up That is solved by some extra work, by applying an extra layer of "Filters" in the "Wireless" section that allow only specified MAC addresses to access the Internet. (a "white list" I call it) Asus helps you by associating MACs with machine name when, when possible, when you go to the screen to set this up. (I wish they had called it "whitelists" vs. "blacklists" and made it some easier. Be aware that at times I have had to go spend a few minutes and dig up a MAC address, e.g., for my NEST thermostat, so that it can get out, too --the price of raising kids these days. And please let me say again that all this is well worth it for the kid's sake. . .

In addition to the parental controls, the geek in me likes the range of this device --how far it gets out. We live in a three story townhouse, and range has been an issue for us. . . Today, this router is on the first floor, I am currently on the third with four bars (2.4Ghz) The 5Ghz DOES reach up here, but not as well (the nature of 5Ghz is not to reach as far) Throughput is great; and I do NOT have to reboot this device very often. Other features, (there are many; I have barely scratched the surface) are there, but I haven't had time! (another cost of having teenagers :-) ) If I do get time, some of the USB storage features would be next; also the VPN feature set is built in IF I ever need to adjust settings from outside my home. .(my first shallow attempt to do that failed, but I am sure it was my fault) .

PROS:
- Parental controls --far superior to others I tried (the "Open DNS" approach [ i.e., NetGear], IMHO, is not satisfactory. Again, this router has fairly easily solved this which WAS a very-large problem for us
- Reliability: First router and I haven't had to reboot a lot.
-Range: great
-Feature set: Far superior to most anything I have seen. Geeks can have a field day with all the stuff in the feature sets
--Instructions / Ease of setup and operations: Overall, were great
-Support: Recent firmware upgrades have been regular and helpful; I can tell Asus is on the job supporting this router
CONS

-Price. Obviously I think it is worth it --for my kids
-Asus, why in the world cannot I add additional SSIDs to my 2.4Ghz for example??? (not a huge deal, but was a point I debated to kick this down to four stars)
- Minor point, but even I had a little of a time figuring out the MAC Filter "white list"
- need controls over the wired clients
on January 29, 2014
I had D-link DIR-860L 1200 AC for one week prior to getting this one, but returned it due to slow SharePort responsiveness and very poor range. I was only getting 10 - 15% strength on 2.4 Ghz band just about 25 feet away on the lower floor. Annoying dropped signals made me return it. This Asus 1900 AC router blows it away. Constantly getting over 90% strength throughout the house on both bands. It is so responsive with Aicoud, its a pleasure to use. Very user friendly, it takes few minutes to set up, very straight forward directions.
Defiantly a keeper. I will do follow ups if I encounter any problems in the future. For now definitely 5 star product.

Update 2/3/14
Changing the rating from 5 stars to 1 star. More and more disappointments came along after I had it for just one week. First, I started having internet dropouts every several minutes. Never had this issue before with other routers, and I did not change anything else. Yes I rebooted it and checked the wires, nothing helps. It is very annoying. I left email to Asus technical support, and they wrote back to return the router without doing any troubleshooting. It's a waste of my time.
I guess I will follow Asus advise and return this router.

Update 2/5/14
Updated to the latest firmware yesterday, however it did not resolve the problem. I am getting constant internet dropouts. Asus fails to respond after an email to them.

One star review from me it is, poor communication from Asus, no troubleshooting solutions, internet dropouts with this expensive router. I really thought that I will like it and keep it.
I have packed and returned the router today, full refund received. Thank you Asus for wasting my time.
66 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2016
I purchased this router in August of 2015. I am using the stock firmware (updated). Since purchasing it, I've had very few issues (which I'll go over later). Setup was quick and easy. I literally plugged my cable modem in, along with the machines I wanted wired into the network and it worked. Very little setup was involved.

For the wired network, I have 2 PCs wired in, a Xbox One, and a Playstation 4. Connecting wirelessly, I have multiple cell phones, a tablet, a smart thermostat (Ecobee3), a laptop, a PS3, a wireless printer, and an Xbox 360. At no point have I had network disconnects occur due to the router. It has handled all network traffic lightning quick like a champ.

I live in an 850 sq ft single story house. The router is centrally located, and I have found that I can still connect via the wireless from across the street. Mind you, this is with the transmission power turned down (more on this later also).

I've been very impressed by this router. Especially since I upgraded from an old school Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54GL) due to my router not being able to handle the bandwidth that a modern cable provider provides. Using the stock firmware, it is highly customizable. Despite being highly customizable, it is simple enough for the average user to be able to setup without needing advanced tech support.

The only issue that I had with this router was connecting my HP Photosmart wireless printer to the wireless network. Changing out my old router for the new one and going through the setup, it seemed like it should be a simple affair. It was not, and it took me months to figure out that I needed to 1) Buy a USB cord (A-Male to B-Male) 2) Hook the printer up to my PC using this cord, and then install the HP software. The router administration pages made it seem like this wasn't needed and that I just needed to download the ASUS software. Had I looked at the HP documentation instead of the ASUS documentation, I probably would've been fine. All in all, the issue was mainly on me. I will say that ASUS's documentation was a bit misleading (in my opinion). I can't fault the router for that though, so no stars have been taken off.

Transmission power: Earlier in the review, I stated that the range on this router is pretty strong despite me turning down the transmission power. Some would ask "Why would you turn down the transmission power? Doesn't that hurt the range or signal?". In my opinion, the default settings for this router's transmission power is excessive. For those not in the know, transmit power is a unit of power measured in milliwatts for the transmitter. The higher the power, the more milliwatts being used by the transmitter. Now, think of your average car. Would you want to put stronger fuel in it than what is needed and recommended for your use? What would happen if you continually used fuel that is stronger than what you needed?

The short answer is: Nothing good.
The long answer: You would be cutting the lifespan, along with the reliability. You *may* see a temporary increase in performance, or you may see a decrease because you pushed things too hard. You are more likely to see issues the higher the level you push things.

All in all, I recommend testing different transmit power levels. I seriously would recommend cutting your transmit power down to fit only what you need it to, and not increasing it beyond the defaults. Those that have reported short lifespans of their router, transmitters dying, or overheating most likely left the settings on default or raised them even higher. If you want this router to last a long time, cut the transmit power down.