5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Gratification
Published on April 2, 2010 by A Customer

Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:08 Mins
March 7, 2011
I received a call from ThermoWorks today to ask how I liked my RT600C. I politely described again the situation I was experiencing (read my March 3rd entry for the gory details). The customer service rep offered me three choices to resolve the problem.
1) They would ship me a new replacement thermometer, but a different...
Published on March 3, 2011 by DavidG

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Gratification, April 2, 2010
This review is from: RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer
Cook's Illustrated recommended this thermometer in their current magazine. The higher-priced model, Thermapen, is much more costly than I am willing to spend for a digital thermometer. When I tried it today I was amazed at how fast a reading I got. As soon as I turned it on, the thermometer read the temperature of the room. We stuck it under my husband's arm and got a body temp for him.

I bought this thermometer for food preparation, baking and cooking. I am really thrilled with it.

Now I can take the temperature of butter and know when it has reached room temperature for use in my baking. Now I can take the temperature of eggs as I whisk them in a bain marie. Now I can take the temperature of cakes and loafs and know they are ready to remove from the oven. Now I can know in seconds when roasts have reached the perfect temperature. Yay! No more guesswork.

*UPDATED 11/19/2010...I never bake without using this thermometer. The other day I was about to bake but the thermometer's display was blank. It was two days before Thanksgiving and I started looking for retailers who would ship a new one to me overnight. I called ThermoWorks. The people there were very helpful and willing to stand behind their product. They told me where to purchase a battery and if the new battery would not resolve the problem, they told me to call back and they would help me. The battery did need to be replaced and now it is working perfectly again. I really feel comfortable and confident in a product when I know a company will stand behind their products. If anything ever happens to this thermometer, I would definitely purchase it again.

BATTERY INFORMATION:This battery is sold in Walmart, as well as other local stores: 1.5 volt, type A76 or equivalent x 1 piece (included)

UPDATED 2/13/2104: The thermometer is still working perfectly. I use it all the time. Lately I am using it even more than ever. I have been experimenting with different coffees and teas. Each type requires a specific water temperature for brewing/steeping. I bought a variable temperature kettle but found it more difficult to attain an exact temperature than just using the ThermoWorks thermometer. I returned the kettle. I found pouring the boiled or near boiled water in a cup and waiting a minute or two will sufficiently drop the water temperature to the required range. The ThermoWorks accurately reads the temp of the water in the cup and then I use it to brew or steep my coffee or tea. I usually replace the battery once a year. I bought 2 extra batteries to have on hand so I do not have to be without this thermometer.

It is almost 4 years since I bought this thermometer. It is still as accurate, dependable and useful as it was back in 2010. This is a precision tool which has helped my baking and cooking attain extraordinary results.

When I bought the ThermoWorks thermometer in 2010 it was $25.00 I just noticed the price is under $20 now. Wow! This is a great price and well-worth it for any serious baker/cook. I highly recommend this and would buy it again if I ever needed another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as therometers twice the price, June 10, 2010
I own 4 Thermoworks products, and they've all been top-notch. This is only a few dollars more than their "slow" reading pen, and it's more than worth the extra cost. And it's only a couple of seconds slower than Thermowork's top-end model, which costs twice as much. The probe is longer than most, which keeps your hands further away from hot foods and grease splatters. The probe tapers to a very thin, sharp point, which should easily pierce any meat. I checked the accuracy using boiling water, and it read right on the money. This is a professional-grade unit, and is intended to be used for long stretches at a time, so it doesn't auto-shut-off. If that's a big issue for you, look elsewhere. But even if you accidentally leave it on, it can run continuously for over half a year on a single A76 battery. The display is fairly large, but there are larger displays. But a bigger display make the unit more top-heavy. This seems to be a nice compromise. Unless you have severe site problems, you should have no problem reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised but it has a flaw. New: A happy ending from the manufacturer., March 3, 2011
Length:: 1:08 Mins

March 7, 2011
1) They would ship me a new replacement thermometer, but a different model. The new thermometer would be model RT301WA. I chose this option.
2) They would ship me a new replacement thermometer of the same model.
3) They would issue a return material authorization and I could return the thermometer to Amazon for a refund.

I chose to get the RT301WA instead of the RT600C because:
- once bitten, twice shy regarding the RT600C
- after playing with the RT600C I found that its lack of an auto shut off is a detriment. The RT301WA has all the features that I liked from the RT600C and it has the all important auto shut off feature.

In short, ThermoWorks came through for me. They demonstrated an excellent customer focused attitude.

March 3, 2011
Today I received the ThermoWorks RT600C cooking thermometer in the mail. I purchased the RT600C from Amazon.com and it shipped directly from ThermoWorks.

Functionally, the thermometer works as advertised. I tested the thermometer speed and calibration using an ice bath. The thermometer went from 70.4 degrees to 32.5 degrees in around six seconds. So my RT600C is accurate to manufacturer specifications.

The thermometer I received has a problem. It will turn itself on if the probe passes anywhere near a static electric charge. Even worse, the RT600C doesn't have an auto shut off feature.

Imagine this scenario: you put the RT600C in a drawer, it turns on by itself, and the battery is dead when you need to use it.

I called ThermoWorks customer support at 800-393-6434 and they:
1) Acknowledged the static electric problem that affects RT600C units.
2) Explained that it's "OK" that RT600C turns on by itself because the battery has a 5000 hour life (around 208 days).
3) Directed me to other (more expensive) models in their catalog that do have an auto shut off feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a very good thermometer, July 4, 2011
Michael (Sanger, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
As a serious baker, I monitor the temperature of my ingredients, the temperature of the dough, and use thermometers to check when the bread is done baking. A chef's thermometer is very important to me. I have a collection of thermometers. Oven thermometers, chef thermometers and infrared thermometers.

My relationship with chef's thermometers in particular has been very much a love/hate relationship. Spring based (or bi-metallic) analog thermometers respond quickly but need frequent calibration, are very sensitive to being dropped, they have a large probe that leaves holes in bread, and after they are calibrated a number of times tend to fail altogether. Still, they were better than the digital thermometers I'd seen and used.

The first digital thermometer I bought, which was not the one I am reviewing, died two days after I bought it. Since then, I have bought a number of digital thermometers, always hoping that the manufacturers had finally gotten it right. Many aren't waterproof, which really is important. Some fall apart because they are made very poorly. And some are very slow to respond - the most recent one I bought takes over a minute to get to a stable reading which was just unusable. I really want a thermometer that is quick enough that it doesn't become an intrusive part of the baking and cooking experience.

The reviews of Thermoworks thermometers I've seen piqued my interest. Several cooking magazines gave them high ratings, especially their almost $100 thermometer. That was just too much for me to spend on a thermometer. So, I thought the RT600C would be a good choice. It was rated second in a review I saw, just behind the more expensive Thermoworks thermometer. The final reason that I bought it was because Amazon has always stood behind the products they have sold me. If it was like the rest of the horrible digital thermometers I've used, they'd take it back.

A few days after I ordered it, the thermometer was in my hands. The quick summary is, it's not going back to Amazon!

A bit more detail - it has a good feel to it and can be held comfortably. I hadn't realized that was an issue with chef's thermometers because all of them are cumbersome. It is waterproof with all its controls covered by a waterproof membrane. And it gives a good useable reading in 5 to 6 seconds. This is as fast, or faster, than an analog thermometer and doesn't get in my way. The probe is smaller than an analog thermometer's probe, which is part of the reason it reads so quickly, but it also means I'm not putting a large hole in a loaf of bread, which is a plus.

Other people have been impressed by my new thermometer - the students in the baking classes I've taught since getting the thermometer have wanted to know what kind of thermometer that was. If I sold cooking equipment, I could have sold a number of thermometers.

With all I've said about the thermometer, you can gather I really like it, so why only 4 stars? There isn't a calibration function on the thermometer, and that gives me pause. This may not be an issue, but all the other thermometers I've owned needed to be calibrated from time to time. I'll come back later and update this review to reflect the long term importance of the calibrate function.

I like this thermometer so much that the rest of my chef's thermometers are in the trash!

A followup on 4/29/2012 - I just bumped this review from 4 to 5 stars because ThermoWorks is a wonderful company that understands the meaning of customer service. Several months after I bought the thermometer, it started being erratic. Sometimes it didn't turn on. I had flashbacks to the unreliable thermometers I'd used before. Then the display refused to work. The display worked through the power on self-test, but not after. I called ThermoWorks to ask for help. They told me they thought it was a battery issue and they'd mail me some batteries. They said that normally the batteries last for years, so the battery in the unit must have been defective. Two days later, I had two sets of new batteries. And the thermometer works just like new. Yes, batteries are cheap. However, they mailed them to me. Most companies would have told me to fly a kite. I like the thermometer, I like the company, and I like Dave, the guy I talked to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choose this Thermometer over Cheaper ones!!, November 4, 2010
I have tried several digital 'instant read' thermometers made by Taylor, CDN and others in the $10-$15 range but have never been satisfied. They are always inaccurate and far from instant, always taking 10+ seconds to come close to temperature. I'd like a Thermapen but $100 is a little much, so I thought I'd give this one a shot...

For the price, I don't think this thermometer can be beat. The design is great as it is all sealed so it can easily be cleaned. It says water resistant but is essentially water proof. The case fits very snuggly and won't fall off while protecting the probe. The probe is much thinner than others so it goes in easier and leaves a smaller hole while providing quicker readings. The display is small, but the numbers are very crisp and extremely easy to read. The max/min feature also works as it's supposed to.

Functionality wise, the RT600C is fantastic at this price. It really does measure the temp accurately in 5 seconds to within a degree. It may take a few seconds more for the decimal place to tick up or down to be exact, but the 5 second reading is what I'm looking for. The thermometer is also very accurate. The temp of boiling water here in WI is in the 210 - 211 range, and the thermometer read 210.3 for me. Using it for meats, they are always done exactly as the reading of this thermometer says they should be.

I highly recommend the RT600C as it is fast, accurate and well designed! ThermoWorks is also a great seller - it arrived 3 business days after the order and they even threw in a little bag of Jelly Belly's for Halloween. I will be ordering from them in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars great thermometer, once replaced, November 17, 2010
Ryan "kooluhlz" (Kalamazoo, MI USA) - See all my reviews
There are some really great things about this thermometer. The reading is fairly quick and it is usually within 5-6 seconds. It is tough and sturdy. It has a long tip so you can keep your hands far enough away from the food, pans or oven racks so not to burn yourself. The tip is very small and has a sharp point so it easily slides into food. It has been very accurate for me. I have not tested it out on boiling water, but I have had no problems with the readings it has given me so far. I have temped many things and they always come out perfect with this thermometer. The buttons are a nice size and all are easy to push.

The down side to my thermometer and the reason this didn't get 5 stars is that it freezes up on me. I will use it to temp things for a few seconds and then set it down and wait if it is not up to temp. Most times when I pick it back up the thermometer will be frozen on a temp and will no longer work. The only button that works at this point is the reset button. This does not really effect the use of the thermometer so far. This is just more of an annoying bug in my thermometer. I will be contacting customer service about this to see if I can get a replacement thermometer. I will update the review with the progress of this.

Overall this is a great thermometer. I would highly recommend this thermometer because it just works great. Besides my buggy thermometer it doesn't seem this is a common occurrence based on the other reviews. Even with the bug in this thermometer it is by far one of the best thermometers I have used. Hopefully I can get a new one without this problem. Updates will follow.

Update:

Apparently someone from Thermoworks read my review and called me. They told me this should not happen and sent me a new thermometer. The new one works great so far with no issues. I highly recommend these thermometers. Thanks Thermoworks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fast, June 10, 2010
JR (Saratoga, CA) - See all my reviews
I already bought a RT301WA by Thermoworks but I wanted to use a max and min feature so I just ordered this one. Except for that feature, I like the other thermometer better. It has a bigger display. I have to rate this one high though as it reads pretty fast. 5 seconds is true. This one is number 1 at a Cooks Illustrated review. I wanted to be able to recall the maximum temperature so I could test just how much a rib roast rises during resting after I take it out of the oven. I noted the temperature when I put the thermometer in and then I used the max recall to see how high it got while it was resting. Worked great. I would make one more negative comment. I do have a chef coat with a shoulder thermometer pocket. The probe cover on this one doesn't fit it. The RT301WA does so it doesn't matter much. I tend to use my Thermapen anyway and it doesn't fit the shoulder pocket either. I bought this from Thermoworks through Amazon and got it in only 2 days. I must say I am becoming a thermoworks fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars required for barbecue, August 6, 2010
I found this product recommended at a well-known Internet barbecue site. My old gas grille has hot spots and it is easy to overcook meat. No more! I put this thermometer to use immediately. It really gives you the temperature fast and the probe is small, so no juices are lost. The meat I'm serving to my family now is grilled to perfection; there are complements galore. I can't recommend this thermometer enough. It would work as well in an oven as on a gas grille. Try it, you won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooks Tool, October 7, 2010
Linda M. Flores (Santa Fe Springs, CA) - See all my reviews
'bought this Digital Pocket Thermometer based on the recommendation from America's Test Kitchen. As usual they were right on! The thermometer is fast and accurate and very easy to use. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys cooking and also to those who do not and are interested in getting good results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great thermometer, but there's a better choice.., April 18, 2012
I love my RT600, and it has changed the way I cook. If it was the only model available, I'd give it 5 stars. But there's another similar model fromThermoworks, the RT301WA, which reads just as fast, and currently sells for the same price, and, I think, makes more sense for most people, as it has a larger LCD readout, located at the top rather than on the side which makes it much easier to read. It also has auto-off, which prolongs battery life - the RT600 doesn't. This is particularly important, because the RT600 has a tendency, as others have mentioned here, to turn itself ON, and without auto off, once its on it stays on until the you used it next.

The 301 also has a hold button, to hold the reading while you read it. Very handy for low light or glasses use. The 600 saves the highest and lowest temperature, but for this feature to be useful you have to keep resetting it. And the 301 can be user-recalibrated.

The only reason I can see for preferring the 600 over the 301 is if you want to carry it in a pocket - the side readout makes for a more streamlined package than the top readout.

RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer