5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality & After Sale Support
I bought a Model 54 in .177 caliber, and was amazed at the accuracy inside 40 meters. The fit and finish are an obvious given. Pick one up and you'll immediately see what I mean. The only air rifles I'd owned prior to this were Benjamins, Gamos, and Crossmans. Not bad, but no comparison to the RWS. The RWS feels a lot like my Kimber and Anschutz .22 rimfire rifles...
Published on December 21, 2010 by Charles B. Lemak

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Description was not correct. Returned item for RWS 350 Magnum.
Published 5 days ago by SoonerMarine

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality & After Sale Support, December 21, 2010
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)

Unfortunately after about 4 years, the cocking lever broke. I contacted the RWS USA HQ to find out how much it would cost to replace the cocking arm, assuming I was out of warranty. To my pleasant surprise, they sent me a replacement arm assembly free of charge with a letter stating that they stand by their products for life. I have since purchased a new RWS in .22, and will buy more as new products are introduced. I know the price of an RWS is a little higher than some of the other popular air rifles, but when I can get a combination of quality and after sale support like I got from RWS, I'll stick with this winner regardless of the price.

Buy one. You will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious air rifle, amazing accuracy, November 24, 2012
N. MEDERICH "steel cut oats" (Liverpool, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
Was researching the rws model 48 for several weeks and had my heart set on it. then i spotted this air king on Amazon for a ridiculously low price and i could not pass it up. I ordered the gun Tuesday and it arrived Wednesday, I have Amazon Prime which is 2 day shipping, what can I say but wow! The gun arrived double boxed which i believe helped it survive the typical brutality of UPS. The box which held the scope was tore up a bit probably from rough handling by the carrier, but the scope itself is in perfect shape. The scope mount is a one piece type which these air guns need due to the forward and backward recoil, much appreciated. I haven't mounted the scope just yet as I want to see how well I can do with the iron sights. I did the initial tests in the basement, luckily i have close to 10 meters wall to wall. I used Meisterkugeln hollow points against a shoot n see target on a 3/4 plywood backer.My first group was a bit wild as I was still getting used to how the gun handled, the second group was the size of a quarter, this was from a free standing position. At 10 meters the pellet hit about 2 inches low straight from the box using the iron sights, rotating the adjustment dial on the rear sight a few clicks brought the sights dead on. Don't use a death grip, supporting hand just cradles the stock right under the checkering, seems best. I feel confident that putting the scope on would shrink the groups to dime sized from the standing position, adding a bench rest the pellets might go thru the same hole. The gun is more than accurate enough for my wants and desires. The noise level is quieter than I anticipated, my wife said it sounded like my pnuematic nailer only little quieter. The pellet makes a louder noise smacking the target than the gun makes firing the pellet. More like a pfffft with a slight metallic ring to it. Can fire it in the basement without bothering anyone upstairs. The gun is heavy ( interpret this as quality construction), did I mention that its heavy? If I held it on mark for more than a few seconds my arm would start to feel like lead, but the weight probably also helps to stabilize the gun for better accuracy.

The gun oozes German quality manufacturing from every perspective, the bluing, the finish on the stock, the grain of the wood(granted its not firearm grade walnut but it's Beech and it looks niiiice), the checkering, the recoiless action, everything. It has the T06 trigger, steel not plastic, and I'd guess the pull to be about 3 pounds, and feels nice and crisp to me, but the trigger is adjustable if you prefer different. The recoiless action works just like advertised, no kick at all, I merely just pick up on a hint of vibration during the shot.The action floats free on rails....can move it by hand. Cocking the gun resets the action at the most forward point on the rails, firing sends it about three fourths the way back, I'm interested to see if the amount of movement changes after i shoot a couple thousand pellets.The safety is set automatically by the cocking action, once you flip the safety to off it can set back to "on" with your thumb, which is nice in case you have to set up your shot again. The anti bear trap has several detents and prevents getting the tip of your finger chopped off if you do something silly when loading a pellet in the breech,it makes a soft ratcheting sound when you cock the gun. Loading a pellet is easy enough even for my big fingers. The hollow points fit snug, used my finger nail to try and seat the pellet skirt as best I could but wish there was something a bit easier to seat the pellet, can somebody invent an angled pellet pen please ;). I read reviews of this gun being so powerful it blows holes thru plywood at 30 meters, not sure if I believe it. In my experience the pellets were going two thirds the way thru Baltic birch 3/4 plywood at 10 meters. Maybe super points would penetrate deeper. Regardless of how it does on plywood, I think it will terminate most rodents faster than a Chuck Norris round house kick.

What would I change? The safety feels a bit mushy to me, i like to feel a nice positive (even audible) "click" when i cycle a safety. I might add a sling to make it comfortable to carry in the field. Maybe a nitro piston so no spring fatigue to worry about? I'd change nothing else because it would be detracting from what is a very fine gun. Many times have i lived with the regret of saving a few bucks by going the cheap way, but I have never had any regrets spending the money on high quality workmanship and I have zero regrets purchasing this rws air king. Don't think about it or second guess it, just buy it, you will be happy you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIfetime Warranty, November 21, 2012
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
I have only praise for all RWS rifles.
If you want to shoot one ragged hole, look no farther.
I you are really a detailed target puncher go with the 56T. You'll end up with both of them!
You know one for huntin' and plinking with friends on a picnic, the other for yourself.
The solid barrel is one of the traits of consistency I like so much, the Mdl48 shares it too, but does not have the dampening system, a great rifle you will want one of these too.:o)
The way it's set up, put the pellet in close to home and it will ram the pellet in for you exactly the same way everytime, unlike a break barrel, some of which are so picky about how you place the pellet for best performance.
The trigger is excellent and adjustable. Built solid! Hand checkered stock. The RWS mount will take up to a 50mm lens.
Shoot plenty hard at about 900fps for my .22, which will rock a vermin!
Try some different pellets, the Crosman one cast new Premiers 10.9 grain I think, and some JSB's.
The Crosmans shoot one ragged hole all day long off a rest using the Artillery hold(look it up for air rifle, it's real important!). This rifle is not picky about that/very forgiving and I like that a lot.
Did I forget to mention the recoil dampening system, smoooth.
Later get the Vortec dampers and some black tar for the spring for extra smooth spring too!
Buy a Irwin Quick Grip @ Amazon for use as controled spring release, there is plenty of stuff online about how-to, it's nto difficult, just use your head. Join in on the GTA International Air Gun Forum and learn a bunch of stuff some cold winter night and make some new friends.
Eye hand brain coordination married to specific focus the recipe for success in any venture.
Here you can practice it and people won't even realize what you are developing and having gobs of fun at the same time!
Have fun, Be careful, Happy Holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing accuracy, May 2, 2014
J. Swavely (Easton, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
I was so frustrated with the Beeman break barrel rifle that I had (baseball sized groups at 25 yards even with the gun on sandbags) when I read that break barrel air rifles are just not accurate, which makes sense because it must be very hard to get a barrel to return to exactly the same position after each cocking. I did some research and found that the side-cocking RWS rifles were highly praised for accuracy and so I bought the model 54 with the scope. With a few clicks on the scope windage and elevation adjusters I quickly got groups all in the dime sized bulls eye at 25 yards. I plan on trying it at 50 yards as soon as I get a chance, but I'm sure I'll only be limited by my own skill. The price is steep compared to some other rifles, but it seems that in this case you definitely get what you pay for. If you want an air rifle that will consistently hit what you're aiming at, you probably can't do better than the RWS 54.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 18, 2013
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
It's no secret, you need to learn how to shoot an air rifle. I found this out after purchasing a very nice Hatsan lauded for it's accuracy and I could almost not hit the broad side of a barn with it and ended up sending it back and doing some more research. Magnum springers like this one usually have a learning curve due to the unique recoil characteristics. The sliding rail system all but makes that disappear and since mounting a bipod on this 54 model, (something that many spring air rifle's don't like) I can now put 5 pellets almost in the same hole at 20 yards and I can get decent groups at 50 yards. While I'm still learning I feel confident that this rifle is giving me all the tools necessary to be as accurate as possible. Can't imagine anyone buying this and regretting it. Not to mention RWS's lifetime warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but it's a quality piece overall., January 10, 2014
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
Mine arrived with a little damage, numerous small dents in the wood on the grip (the box was fine, not shipping damage) but otherwise it was perfect. It's accurate, easy to handle and seems powerful enough for small game at relatively short range.
My biggest gripe isn't even the dinged up grip, but is actually the big blob of plastic they put on the end of the barrel. For over 600 dollars, I'd think they could afford a bit of steel or aluminum. It takes what is otherwise a serious adult air rifle and cheapens the whole thing, to my eyes. But there's no denying that the rest of the rifle is well made. This comes with the newer t06 trigger, which is a steel trigger.

I bought this mainly for target practice, and it works wonderfully for that. If you're looking to hunt, it might be a bit heavier than you'll want to carry at the ready for very long.

Lastly, I can't comment much on the scope as thus far I prefer the provided iron sights. The scope looks serviceable enough, but that's about it. Nothing fancy there.

All in all it's painful to pay for, but a real pleasure to shoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., March 23, 2014
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
An excellent air rifle, needs time to break it in, like 500 shots or so...in my opinion. Which is fine with me because I got it to use it! Let's just say that it is quite accurate out to surprising distances. If I do my part the air rifle will take care of the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the "King" of air rifles, March 31, 2014
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
A truly amazing air rifle. Absolutely love the design to reduce and almost eliminate the recoil, This is an air rifle that it is possible to shoot a pattern inside of silver dollar at 40 yards consistently. The new trigger is what should always have been on the rifle. Great construction and extremely easy to adjust. Comes from the factory acceptable to most but with a little tweaking you can adjust to your own taste. I did a lot of preadvance study on this rifle but what sold me was when I picked on up at a show and fired it. There is a reason why it is called an Air King. The engineering design, sidecock, recoil suppression, non-breakover barrel, trigger, safety features (bear claw). is what makes this rifle.
The last thing, with a design like this you can tweak the performance even more. There are some aftermarket replacement parts that take this rifle to an even higher level but that is not the subject of this review. This is a serious air rilfe that begs to shoot all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rifle, not so great scope., October 15, 2014
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
Rifle arrived on time and is a joy to shoot. It is easily possible to get consistant 1/4" groups at 25yds and 3/8"-1/2" groups at 50yds, once the scope is zero'd. The scope included worked well for about 200 shots then the reticle broke and twisted. Umarex was contacted and they are supposed to be replacing it but it cost me another $11.05 to ship the bad one back to them first. For a nearly $600 air rifle, I think that they could afford to put a more robust optic in with the combo. Maybe a leapers or bushnell. A laser etched glass reticle will withstand the punishment these air rifles generate much better than a cheap wire reticle.
Although the recoil rail system works perfectly as designed to almost eliminate any felt recoil from the shooter's perspective, there is still a very stout recoil felt by the scope as the spring discharges. This will be true of any "magnum" class spring powered air rifle. A cheap chinese scope simply will not last and it makes no sense to spend this much on a high end rifle then settle for a substandard optic. All in all , I am very pleased with the rifle and may get a 460 RWS in the future. It's hard to beat German precision. If I had known about the scope before hand, I would not have bought the combo. The rifle alone is about $50 cheaper. this could have been put toward a much more fitting optic for this fine rifle and really completed the package.

5.0 out of 5 stars once you learn the rifle it is amazing. of course I prefer the, September 2, 2014
This review is from: RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large) (Sports)
not for the faint of heart. it is a true killing machine. I have taken dozens of tough gray squirels at distances of 10 to sixty yards. head and heart shots are a breese with the open sights (fine and quite adjustable). no scope required. once you learn the rifle it is amazing. of course I prefer the .22 cal. my .22 cal rimfire riffles are jeolous. getting an additional twenty yards distance is the only thing that puts them out front.

RWS .22 Pellet Model 54 Combo Rifle (Wood, Large)
$795.00 $665.55