Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 9, 2005
This is one of my favorite reference books for rabbits. The book covers all aspects of rabbit care from getting a rabbit, to housing, feeding, training, behavior problems, illness, and death. The format is easy to read and specific information is easy to find. The Appendix offers some great resources on education, activities, rescues, publications, shopping, and registries. The book brings together both ARBA and the House Rabbit Society. It knocks neither and presents both sides; so its a safe pick-up for a believer of either spectrum. I recommend it in addition to "Rabbit Health in the 21st Century" by Kathy Smith as the only two books a beginner needs.
on June 26, 2004
This book is a great introduction to the world of the companion rabbit. It provides quick access to easy to understand tibits about common rabbit concerns. It's written in a manner that is able to keep most people's attention and interest.
The only problem I have with the book is the fact that it doesn't emphasize that rabbits should not be kept in hutches. Rabbits, regardless of size, should be kept in a set-up that is more akin to that of a dog pen. An area that measures approximately four feet by four feet that is fenced off INSIDE your home will be a better set-up for your new lagomorph. They need space to run around and play while you are at work or school and the wire bottom of pet-store rabbit cages can be very harsh on their feet. They do not have foot-pads like dogs or cats. If you value the health of your new companion, please use a dog pen.
I recommend looking into adopting a rabbit from your local House Rabbit Society chapter ([...] Rabbits from pet stores are often sick and not litterbox trained (yes, they are easily trained and very clean animals).
That all said, please read this book before you purchase a bunny. I also recommend reading "The House Rabbit Handbook: Living With an Urban Rabbit" and "Rabbit Health in the 21st Century." Rabbits are much different from dogs and cats and have special health concerns, but can make great pets for the right people.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2006
If you are new to bunnies or just want a thorough book on rabbit care, this is a great one. It covers every topic imaginable! I have found most "Dummy" books to be very informative, and this one is no exception. I would like a few more color pictures of rabbits, but other than this, the book is terrific!
on May 6, 2014
But its well written for all. Over the years Ive read a lot of stories with Rabbits as a focus. This is one of the best. Ive had 3
rabbits in that time. Some passed from old age and I still have one that is seven. She is the love of my life, smart, active and
fun to be around. Im retired and shes retired with me. If you've ever wanted a rabbit the book is a must read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 19, 2015
Easiest and fastest way to learn quickly about caring for a rabbit. We ended up with a rabbit more quickly than we had planned so we ordered this and had it quickly. It gave us guidance on what to feed the rabbit and what to not feed the rabbit (equally important). It had just about everything you need to know how to keep a rabbit alive. This was the book we used in learning what all the noises and behaviors mean and how to understand the rabbit. We learned how to litter train the rabbit and what he needs to sleep. We are now 18 months later and our rabbit is still alive and kicking and very spoiled! I would recommend this book if you are getting a rabbit or just recently got a rabbit.
on July 11, 2003
Excellent book for first time rabbit guardians. Its the next best thing to speaking fluent rabbit. Its easy to understand and packed with very useful information. Its a good companion book for the House Rabbit Handbook or Why does my rabbit...? books. It is definately a good investment.
on October 10, 2005
I've fostered rabbits for the local SPCA, and this book definitely helped me understand rabbits and their behavior. I would recommend it for any rabbit owner, as it contains a lot of information.

I had spent a considerable time searching the internet for information on rabbits, and if I'd bought this book first, I could have saved a lot of time and learned a lot more a lot faster.
on October 24, 2005
I bought this book for my sister, who just got her first rabbit. We were dazzled by the fabulous range of information provided by this book. Pay especial attention to the extensive appendices -- invaluable!
on June 27, 2014
Everyone who is considering adopting a rabbit should get this book. It made me even madder at the idiot who turned the rabbit out on it's own. They cannot exist in the wild and this book will help you learn how to take care of your bunny. They make wonderful pets but do require a commitment!
on July 20, 2015
Extremely helpful, in depth guide for first time bunny owners. This guide covers all things rabbit and was a great resource for preparing myself for a new rabbit. I have never owned a rabbit as an adult and never kept them inside. This book covers all you need to know and answered all of my questions. The only complaint I have is it doesn't include lionhead rabbits which have been accepted as a breed