5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
I had to buy this for a class. It is definitely the best textbook I've ever purchased. A textbook that really makes you think. I will keep it and refer to it in the future. I think it should be required reading for everyone.
Published on May 29, 2010 by J. Haley

Published 15 months ago by Dawn B.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study, 8th ed., October 20, 2013
This review is from: Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study, Eighth edition (Paperback)
This book was required for a SOC/Cultural Diversity course. Do not waste your money on the newer edition because the 8th edition is almost identical. The collection of essays, without doubt, will invoke lively discussion and debate. Thankfully, the course I took was about serious education rather than promoting propaganda. This text is likely the only one that I will not keep but donate to a fellow student who requires it for class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, May 29, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A realistic, approachable collection, October 1, 2010
In terms of readers or anthologies, Paula S. Rothenberg offers one of the most accessible compilations of articles focusing on race, class, and gender that I have yet to encounter. Rothenberg provides a varied selection of readings that reveal the comprehensive state of discrimination and oppression within the United States. "Race, Class, and Gender in the United States" works within an academic context, but it's also a valuable addition to any professional's bookshelf.

I used "Race, Class, and Gender in the United States" for a recent class on Racism and Sexism and I found myself spending a considerable amount of time exploring articles outside of those assigned. The articles integrate with one another quite well and they provide a variety of perspectives. Perhaps the most valuable part of Rothenberg's compilation is its ability to simultaneously provide the historic framework of oppression while providing a cross-section of how concepts of race, class, and gender play out in today's society.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone looking to expand their knowledge of the societal and cultural implications held within race, class, and gender in the United States. Rothenberg provides an abundance of readings within its voluminous 700+ pages. I enjoyed the fact that Rothenberg provided a realistic selection of readings without reveling in overly academic texts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, August 29, 2013
I had to buy this book for college. It is easy and interesting reading. The history it covers is amazing. I read a story about Pearl Harbor and was so touched by the story. As an African- American, it help me to understand that We were not the only race hated, discriminated against and treated badly, when I read the story, told by a Japanese teenager, I was brought to tears. This book enlightened me,for now when I think of the history of oppression it is not just confined to the walls of MY race anymore. I believe discrimination is all about Power, therefore, it can knock on anyone's door who do not fit Into the part of society that have the power, money and control. Great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, July 30, 2013
Mark (Murrieta, CA) - See all my reviews
Rothenberg does a great job in compiling multiple sources in order to expose the inequality and oppression within the United States. The articles identify the oppressors and the oppressed in order to make the invisible visible. Race, class, and gender in the United States reveals that the possibility of achieving the "American dream" takes more than a strong work ethic and education, rather it means having many of the privileges and benefits that minorities and lower class citizens lack. However, the author offers a solution to our socio-economic problem through the useful tools by fellow writers. "So. If leaders no longer lead, and if the information font has become unutterably corrupted, what is left? Demonstrably, the instinct to go tharn in the rad, hoping those onrushing headlights will swerve at the last moment, has become predominant among most Americans. We have reached a point, however, where inaction is not only inadvisable, but worthy of the charge of treason. Do Something. Do Anything. At the end of the day, it does not matter what you do. A sign in your yard, a button in the lapel of your coat, an email sent around to friends, will have a small but salutary effect. It will make others in the country who feel isolated in their fear that something has gone terribly wrong understand that they are not alone. big storms gather around small particles (p.705)." Therefore, do something. Start by reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., June 4, 2013
My professor went out of order in the book but it seems like he did so for his personal preference and not because of disorganization. In actuality, the book was more organized chronologically than his class was (he only allowed us to use the sections he assigned for certain sections in the book, when prior or latter sections actually fit the material better). Some of the articles were incredibly painful to go through and will leave you frustrated or crying out "BULL!" However, there are articles in there that are absolute gems, are very informative, and don't race-bait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, May 22, 2013
I was worried if I would receive my book in time. I was so surprised when it was in the mailbox after a few days. Bravo. Thank you Mrs Buhl

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I want, in right edition with cheap price!, March 7, 2013
This is what I want, in right edition with cheap price! It did work for my session! That's all I want to say

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast shipping, January 23, 2013
Thanks for shipping this so fast! I needed it for school and I got it before i needed it. Thanks so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a textbook, June 21, 2012
The book got here quickly and was in excellent condition. Not much else to say since it's just a textbook for a class i'm taking.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study, Eighth edition by Paula S. Rothenberg (Paperback - September 11, 2009)
Used & New from: $18.21