Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2009 9:23:47 AM PDT
A. Moore says:
Did anyone else find the racial stereotypes in this book disturbing? I couldn't finish reading it because the stereotypes were so glaring! Why did God have to be a "big Black woman" who speaks ebonics and cooks and cleans? Why is the holy spirit a mysterious "small Asian" woman? Why is Jesus basically a "big nosed" Jew?

I am extremely disgusted with these blatant stereotypes and wonder why more people haven't picked up on them.

Posted on May 29, 2009 2:40:41 PM PDT
I don't know how many times I've pointed this out when commenting on a review, but I like how you worded it much better.

Something that disturbs me just as much as the stereotyping is the argument from all these rave reviewers who defend this guy because he claims that he really wrote it for his children, but what kind of parent would write a story about the rape and murder of a little girl to their kids? Plus the murder that Mack committed then left his family holding the bag, the whole thing is garbage and it makes me sick that there are so many people content with consuming garbage.

Posted on Jun 1, 2009 9:28:18 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 4:06:21 PM PDT
Tanmantana says:
Since people have recognized, that they are different in race, and color,and background,fallen human nature,out selfishness and fear,have belittled and abused these differences - and it shall continue to be that way,until the Prince of peace,the Reconciler of all men, comes back, and sets everything, the way it is supposed to be.There WILL NEVER be any peace,until He is seated at the conference table.The root of stereotyping,is selfishness and fear, of those that look,talk,act,and believe,and differ from us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 8:32:47 AM PDT
I almost lost it when I read "Sho 'nuf"...........horrible!

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 7:04:26 PM PDT
Steve Taylor says:
There are no races. Darwin was wrong! Only one race and that's the human race. At the Tower of Babel people were separated by language and therefore we have different nationalities but that's completely different then skin color. Satan has used skin pigmentation to separate and divide us and the ungodly use it to their advantage. I can't wait until the day when none of this will matter any more but unfortunately that day won't be here until we live in the New City.

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 2:26:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2009 2:28:42 AM PDT
David says:
Here we go again with somebody getting offended over nothing. We have turned into the United States of the Offended. The term 'Sho Nuff' is heard every single day where I come from and not just from one race, from all. When is enough going to be enough for you people? Seriously, when are you NOT going to be offended anymore. It seems to me that you go looking for things to be offended by because you aren't happy unless you're griping about "being offended". Does this, somehow, make you stronger?

Case in point: A high school where I live has the nickname of "Rebels". No Confederate flag. No Confederate soldier. Just the nickname 'Rebels'. The NAACP got all up in arms because the "name" was offensive to them. The school has a mixture of white, black and latinos. The 950 students VOTED TO KEEP THE NAME!. NAACP slunk off to find something else to be offended by.

Get offended by things that hold meaning.....war, murder, rape, child abduction....these really offend me. Get a grip on "real" reality and not your supposed one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2009 2:31:54 AM PDT
David says:
I see you REALLY got a lot of good stuff to make you think out of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2009 11:02:40 PM PDT
I wasn't offended by that but my main reason for replying is that Jesus was a Jew right? I get the other two as being possibly inaccurate and if you like racist but Jesus a Jew? I thought it was almost funny because he was the last introduced and when I found out he was a Jewish carpenter I chuckled to myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2009 4:02:29 PM PDT
George Giani says:
WELL SAID-BLESS YOU(hope the word bless doesn't offend uou)!

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 4:21:02 PM PDT
I think there was much to offend those who sought agreement with the author. I am a Jewish Agnostic, and I found the draw of the book to be how every few minutes I had to stop and think about what I thought of what was just said. I found the book immensely thought provoking. That is what I enjoyed so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2009 5:03:26 PM PDT
I don't understand who would seek agreement w/the author of a fictional novel. I don't know of a lucid person who ever sought agreement with Stan Lee in any of his Spiderman comics. I can't get my head around any person that would try to reason about theology from this book. I guess Dianetics did start a religion but that was a "self help" book with intentions along those lines I can't see how that applies to "The Shack"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2009 5:12:48 PM PDT
To start with I am a hardcore christian born again at 8yrs old baptized in the holy spirit w/evidence of speaking in tongues since I turned 16 (now 41) It seems you have tied the word race w/evolution. I am not sure you are wrong but I have never tied the term race w/evolution before. I went to m-w.com and this was the closest definition to what I believe you meant.

: a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

Like Indians I guess it is easy for me to discern that Indians (the ones from India) have quite different traits than say an African or European. I think Darwin got it wrong as well but I think there are races. God made everything different even snow flakes so it seems to me that God is clearly a god of diversity and the God of Nations, Tribes and Tongues (languages) Just sayin.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2009 5:16:44 PM PDT
I take that as a southern expression and although I am not exactly from the south (OK) I may use a statement like that or y'all and don't really find it to be horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2009 5:22:21 PM PDT
George I think the "well said" was directed at me if so thank you. I always like people who agree with me... it is a weakness I have.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 11:20:13 AM PST
I agree completely and was shocked

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 6:20:01 PM PST
Sophia Henry says:
You are so correct, I am A Black (African American) female and didn't find this book offensive in any type of way. People always look for the negative in everything. We need to stop fussing and fighting over everything. Learn something from the book.. Love, caring is what I got out of it.. I see different races almost daily reading this book, and everyone says the same thing they love it. So what does that tell you, it's an entire generation out here that are not worried or offended of the race, color of a person. Teach love and not hate!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2010 11:11:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2010 11:26:08 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2010 11:25:00 AM PST
I adored all the portrayals in this book. I think God being portrayed as an African American woman made me realize that God represents all of us, male, female, black, white, Asian, Jewish, etc. because we were created in his image. While God may be none of these, God is also all of these- cannot be contained or defined. What I can't believe is those on this forum trying to define what God is and isn't. But I love them just the same. What I thought was wonderful is that not just the one race was represented in this book and that it didn't really matter how God was portrayed as long as he was portrayed as being God. His being protrayed as this wonderfully affectionate, jolly African American woman made me feel especially connected, because I realized that his love transcends all including gender and race. Thanks Sophia for giving an African American woman's point of view. Refreshing!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2010 9:44:58 AM PDT
I only read this via a 1-chapter excerpt and got "Tony the mailman; an overly friendly Italian with a big heart but little tact" just a few paragraphs in. The writing sucked overall in just the one chapter, so I'm mightily glad I didn't stick around for the rest. Major fail.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 2:34:18 PM PDT
saint james says:
You seem to be offended by the offended person's offense. Perhaps you need to get over it...hmm.
As far as "Sho Nuff" is concerned black vernacular has been appropriated by many people. It is distinctly a Black phrase. Today, I heard a newscaster use the phrase, "git go". Another black term. The objection was the stereotype that the Black woman represented. Sheesh!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 7:15:11 AM PDT
Excellent, just plain Excellent and I commend you for saying it. I whole heartedly agree with you that we have become a Society that thrives of becoming offended by foolishness instead of being pro active on real issues that plague our Society. Maybe if we became offended when a child is abducted and do more to protect our children or be offended because we have been thrust into a war we do not belong in then maybe all of our lives will be greater.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2010 11:23:59 AM PDT
I'm curious as to where you are from that you hear "sho nuff" every day. And who exactly are "you people"? No one seems seems to be all that offended by the stereotypes in this book, just kind of jarred. They were glaring and pathetic and yet another example of how poorly written this book was.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  May 29, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Shack
The Shack by WM. Paul Young (Paperback - July 17, 2008)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (8,342)