Questions & Answers
The Art of Racing in the Rain
by Garth Stein
4.6 out of 5 stars (4,765)
Used & New from: $0.01
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 questions
votes
I agree with Sandy. Enzo thought he was "faking" his weakness, with the idea that it was time for him to die, although he'd acknowledged at the beginning of the book he really could have more years left for his life. He thought it was time for him to go, however, and by lying in his own piddle he figured that his owner would come to the same conclusion and take him to the vet. However, when Denny got home that last night, Enzo discovered that, in fact, he really was weak, and that he was not really "faking" at all...which disturbed him somewhat. I was so moved by the ending, for instead of the "one way trip to the vet"...Enzo recieved the wonderful blessing of dying in his beloved Denny's arms, with the smell of pancakes in the air, in his own kitchen. He deserved no less.
Aug 12, 2009 by emeleste
votes
I cried a lot but I don't see it as a depressing book. It is sad, but beautiful and touching, too. Read it, it's definitely worth it.
Oct 25, 2010 by Kristy Bauer
votes
I hadn't actually made those connections when I read the book. The Zebra behaving like it did in Zoe's room destroys the "oh how cute" reaction any person might have about an innocuous stuffed toy. It's jarring and totally unexpected, much like the reaction I might have to my dog suddenly deciding to destroy an object in our house she previously loved. As Enzo says (thinks), the zebra is inside all of us. To me, it meant that we can all do things that might be unexpected/out of character in moments of panic, stress, or anxiety. Your point about Eve's fear of doctors is interesting. It was one of the plot points that I questioned in terms of plausibility: to be that sick and still refuse to see a doctor. I agree with you though, what a great book. I've thought of it often after reading it.
Jul 10, 2008 by JCG
votes
agree! why doesn't amazon provide an answer? what happened to the "low-cost" kindle books promised after the purchase of a kindle?
May 23, 2011 by B. A. Rethemeyer
votes
Young? There is a scene that describes a 15 yr old girl offering herself, nude, to the main character, a young married man. This latter becomes a possible molestation charge against him. YOU decide as to the appropriate age that your reader needs to be in order to handle that.
Aug 22, 2013 by DONALD F GEMAR
votes
As the father of a 15-year old girl, I would definitely encourage your 14-year old to read this. There is much more inappropriate material available on TV, in movies and in other books. This book is well-written, touching and provides an almost Zen-like view of the world and one's place in it that teenagers can grasp and understand. Darrin
Feb 10, 2011 by deo741
votes
(Spoiler?) A 15-year-old tries to seduce the adult main character and then falsely accuses him of rape to help relatives get custody of his child--not a good introduction to healthy sexuality for a young boy.
Sep 9, 2010 by Kim loves to read
votes
Chicken. Nuggets.
Sep 12, 2013 by sharon moore
votes
Hi - The version "Racing in the Rain - My Life as a Dog" (vs. "The Art of Racing in the Rain") I believe is a simplified version for youth. I think on the back cover it mentions that it is an abridged version, and mentions for younger readers. The cover picture is of a puppy. The original I have has a picture of Enzo facing forward - from his nose up. Superb and both heart wrenching and joyous at the same time!! Hope this helps. christine
May 19, 2013 by Christine rohde
votes
I only read the version "A Novel" but it was a dog telling his life story. Not sure what the difference is or the print dates.
May 19, 2013 by Julie Tracy
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

Search Questions and Answers