Rack2 Filer Software worthwhile ?? I can buy the ScanSnap 1500 with or without the Rack2 Filer software (cheaper without).

What, if any, are the advantages of using this product with the Rack2 Filer software ? There's only a $17.00 difference in the price with the software -- is it worth it ?

Mostly, I just want to file copies of receipts, contracts, etc but maybe I'd want to start filing copies of Magazine articles, etc.

Thanks for your help !!
asked by J. Todd on June 15, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 47 answers
A
I've had my ScanSnap for a couple weeks now. I decided to go ahead and order w/the Rack2Filer software since it was a pretty cheap add-on. I use it and I do like it. The advantage over nested folders is that you can browse through your documents much easier. For example, I scanned all of my bank statements into one "Binder". To browse through them all if I had stored them in folders would require me opening each one seperately (assuming that I wouldn't have them all in one file) in Acrobat -- much more tedious than simply turning pages in a binder. Once the binders are set up, it's a pretty intuitive way to organize your docs.
J. Todd answered on July 2, 2009
Comment | 30 of 31 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Here's my method:
I have set the scanning to FULLY searchable. I then use Acrobat Pro to find the documents with simple keywords off of my network drive.
I do not need binders and directories anymore (not feasible with 9400 pdf's) and find this to be efficient and simplistic.
You can also use a host of library tools (like Mendeley for Mac or Linux or Windows) to easily search large libraries of searchable & indexed PDF's.

I tried these virtual document management tools like rack2file and idocuments (mac) and once you get past the initial glossy interfaces you start to realize they are terribly inefficient and take lots of time in prepping docs. Now I have settled for the solution in paragraph 1 and am happy.

I have evolved into DevonTHINK pro office and am loving it. Much better than what i had before.
Rick V answered on February 17, 2011
Comment | 10 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I got the S1500 scanner w/ Rack2File and initially I loved the program.
But then had to start sharing the files over a network w/ as many as 10 people.
To make this work I was told that I'd have to buy the software since each person viewing also needed the ability to modify the files.

At $150 per license we decided to look into sharing over network drives and this has been working fine for us.
Now instead of using rack2filer the documents are dropped in folders that reside on a network drive.
The file naming structure we use is drive/year/foldername/files.
W/in rack2filer the naming structure was libraryname/cabinetyear/bindername and w/in each binder we had yellow dividers for chapter seperation and blue dividers for item seperation.

Since i work in Higher ed we pay less than $100 for each license of Acrobat and use that for file manipulation.
For us, using file folders is much better than using r2f.
Manish Handa answered on August 26, 2010
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
An alternative is to use Copernic file search software http://www.copernic.com. The home version is FREE. The corporate version is less than $100 for 1st copy. It indexes all files, including their contents. Just type in what you're looking for & it gives you a list of the files that match your search. Click on the file(s) that looks correct and it opens the file for review. I like this option versus the manual indexing required by most document management software pkgs.
Mr Bear answered on July 8, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for this tip. It appears to truly index the CONTENTs of PDF files & a bunch of other formats (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, HTML, WordPerfect, text, ZIP files and OpenOffice) and indexes JUST the filenames of other formats (GZ, HLP, RAR, SWF, TAR, VSD, SXD, MHT) - see tinyurl for yju73uq for a list of all formats supported in both ways. For $49 you get a really useful tool for ALL your files (professional version of Copernic Desktop Search just adds indexing of Lotus Notes & eases deployment, don't care about either). I'll report back on how this works out.
Ann K answered on November 9, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I bought my S510 with Rack2 filer and I haven't used it yet. I have scanned 1000's of doucuments this past tax season. Love the S510. The Adobe program was easy to use for saving & organizing my documents, I never saw reason to use the Rack2.
Lolamack answered on June 24, 2009
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm not a fan of any of the document management tools. The snapscan organizer is OK and comes with both packages. I didn't get the Rack2Filer package when I bought my S1500 and from what research I've done, I'm not missing much.

I evaluated lots of document management tools, but none of them has proven any better than just organizing the files in directories. Ironically, the folder/file metaphor has been applied to file systems since the beginning of personal computers, but only now am I appreciating the significance to that model. My scanned documentes folder looks a lot like the file cabinet that it replaced.

Also I recommend you guys give Evernote(free) or OneNote(M$) a try. I was really liking the Evernote solution but the Windows GUI was getting really slow when I had lots of documents in one place. Google for "scan to evernote"
Ajith Antony answered on June 30, 2009
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It is very easy to combine Acrobat files (and other files, like Word, Excel) using the version of Acrobat that comes with the ScanSnap, using either the Create Files or combine Files features.
Niel Ackermann answered on November 2, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just purchased a S1500, and I have one question as to manipulating the PDF files. I may scan laboratory reports for 5 different patients at once. Instead of having all of them in a single file, I would like one PDF file for each, so it can be inserted into the patient medical history. Is there a way to do this with the bundled software, or do I have to scan each report separately, which would take much more time? ( I don't have the Rack2filer)
Larry Gainsburg answered on February 5, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
And it works to search contents within a pdf file? That's usually the holdup...
Office Manager answered on July 22, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›

See all questions about this product