5.0 out of 5 stars "C'est Le Printemps"
"Music is the universal language of mankind." ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ~

Published on July 2, 2010 by Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue*

3.0 out of 5 stars Some may like it, some may not. A loungy pleasure.
"Raconte-moi" (in French for 'Tell me') is the latest Jazz CD realeased by the talented American vocalist Stacey Kent, who once again has delivered a brilliant collection of tracks, this time all sung in French.
Published on July 8, 2010 by Christi Serrao

5.0 out of 5 stars "C'est Le Printemps", July 2, 2010
"Music is the universal language of mankind." ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ~

I don't speak French (except for a few popular phrases), but I do love this latest offering, "Raconte-moi..." ("Tell Me..."), from Stacey Kent, one of my favorite singers who belong to the list of "A Dozen Modern-Day Divas" in my book of jazz. I bought two copies last June 13 for myself and for my sister who took French lessons from one of her French-speaking-patients who also provided her with instructional discs and some French music CDs. As a result, my sister can speak French and can also sing a few French songs by heart.

I have been listening to this CD since I received it and been enjoying it. I'm singing along and trying to memorize the lyrics of "C'est Le Printemps." I was originally going to buy one copy for my sister as part of my presents for her birthday next month, but when I heard track seven from the snippets, I easily recognized one of Rodgers and Hammerstein's gems, "It Might As Well Be Spring." I thought: "I must have this CD!" And so I ordered one for myself too! This favorite track of mine made it a five-star-affair and a CD to treasure and enjoy forever! The lovely guitar accompaniment by John Parriceli as well as its cool and breezy arrangement by Jim Tomlinson is so pleasing to my ears. I simply love listening to it with a few repeats.

Also recognizable to my ears is the first track, "Les Eaux De Mars" which is adapted from one of Antonio Carlos Jobim's well-known Brazilian staples, "Aguas De Marco," most popularly known as "Waters of March." It is also a track to beguile your ears with. Another beautiful track is "Jardin d'Hiver," which is not new to me. Stacey Kent has already recorded this song before in The Lyric, but it's so nice to revisit and enjoy listening to it again.

Supporting Ms. Kent on this album is a line-up of incredible musicians who play their respective instruments with mastery and skillfulness: Jim Tomlinson (soprano/tenor/baritone sax, clarinet), Graham Harvey (piano and Fender Rhodes), John Parriceli (guitar), Jeremy Brown (double bass) and Matt Skelton (drums, percussion).

This is a lovely CD recording-wise, but my only minor protest is that it should have an English translation on Liner Notes written by Jake Lamar. Paging Jim Tomlinson and Token Productions!

This one's for you, ma belle soeur! Happy Listening!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some may like it, some may not. A loungy pleasure., July 8, 2010
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
On this pleasant offering, produced and arranged by her hubby, the accomplished British saxophonist Jim Tomlinson, she covers some staples of the French Chanson (hits by Barbara, Paul Misraki, Georges Moustaki, Henri Salvador, Michel Jonasz, Keren Ann et Benjamin Biolay, among the others) and sings some original material written by talented French songwriters expressely for her: the results is a an usual and 'chilled-out', loungy cocktail of French pop and contemporary jazz.
Over the years Stacey Kent has developed a distinctive sound based around gentle, jazzy grooves that radiate their own charm and warmth.
This charming album has a bright optimistic feel to it.
I like the opener, the classic Brazilian bossa nova "Waters of March" (Portuguese: "Águas de Março") by the genius of A.C. Jobim, with its gorgeous flute led percussion break.
Breezy songs like 'Jardin D'Hiver" (Winter Garden), a huge hit by the late French legend Henri Salvador, and the single "La Vénus du mélo" are simplicity personified. The soft Latin percussion provides a subtle and complimentary backdrop.
Also check the piano-drizzled "Sait-On Jamais", the nostalgic "Les Vacances au Bord De La Mer" and the atmospheric "Mi Amor", with some fantastic sax playing by Tomlinson.
Stacey's crystal-clear vocals bring to mind the style of Blossom Dearie, Italian/American Rossana Casale and Norway Siljee Nergaard.
The album "might dislodge some of those who've discovered Kent through her recent work with lyricists such as the novelist Kazuo Ishiguro...Enraptured club punters who cry "you're beautiful" are likely to go even weaker at the knees now the fragrances of French on songs such as Mon Amour are added to Kent's trademark intimacy...Searchers for edginess needn't look here, but for Kent's big fanclub, it'll be just perfect". - John Fordham
"The little-girl-lost voice and sibiliant esses that so irritate Stacey Kent listeners in Britain are 'de rigueur' in France, where her albums sell like gâteaux chaudes..... Stacey, no slouch in business matters, has responded by learning French well enough to sing it. Backed by her regular quartet, featuring the arrangements and saxophones of husband Jim Tomlinson, plus guest guitarist John Parricelli, she gives a dozen chansons a conversational intimacy which actually rather suits them. Recommended if you don't mind the word "nuit" to be pronounced "nu-wheesch". - Jack Massarik
"Given how harmless, accessible and inoffensive her music is, it's amazing that US-born, British-based vocalist Stacey Kent can provoke strong feelings in jazz fans, many of whom object to her cool breeziness and upbeat, angst-free singing.
This new collection, which pays homage to her mutual love affair with the French (it's sung entirely en Français), will reinforce the divide between those pro-Kent and against as it's all simple, airy, pretty, gentle and atmospheric". - Alison Kerr
This 12-track and 48-minutes album will appeal especially to those that enjoyed the beautiful album "The Lyric featuring Stacey Kent", where Stacey and Jim Tomlinson display a very sensitive touch on the ballads.
Every track is enjoyable, pretty, innocuous and easy to listen to, even if you do not speak or understand French.
Overall "Raconte-Moi" is a very pleasant release.
This is a good album, delivering a little something for everyone.
Excellent swinging jazz/pop out of France, that grooves in a relaxed vein and grows on you after a few spins.
So, is it French Pop or Jazz?
It's a pleasant, 'chilled-out' cocktail of both.
Quite simply, a loungy delight and an album that is uniquely nostalgic and contemporary.
Breakfast on the Morning Tram
Chamber Avec Vue
Music Hole
Divinidylle
Keren Ann
Blossom Dearie
Jazz in Me
Universal Music Collection
Darkness Out of Blue (Hk)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stacey Kent gives date night a new breath on life., July 28, 2010
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
I first heard about this album on the college jazz station WDCB. After listening to only one song I had to have the album. Not just for myself, but for my fiancee who is part French and a very hot sexy model. I sent it to her anonymously, and she JUST LOVED IT! Her exact words were Ohh La La mochree je'taime. If you are looking for jazz to play in a dimly lit, secluded place on that date night with your special someone, THIS IS IT! You both will be in lip lock for the entire album. Hint: put the CD player on REPEAT/SHUFFLE. The songs are all sung in French, with a touch of the very sweet, sexy and the romatically playful female voice of Stacey Kent. The pace of the music ranges from upbeat to slow and tranquil. I felt and thought I was in a smokey jazz cafe in Paris. I do not speak or read much of the French language, but does it really matter?! I am now learning French in a whole new light, or lack there of. Ici on parle francais. If you do speak the language you will have a better appreciation for the spoken word. All in all, a perfect date night 10, going for...........!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Elegant and Enjoyable Stacey Kent Album Even For Those Who Don't Understand French, June 14, 2010
Tom Croft (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
I don't know as much about modern French music as another reviewer ("Jazz is my poison"), who has written a thorough and excellent review here, in my opinion. My review is from the viewpoint of someone who does not understand French but who appreciates both jazz and 20th-Century French classical music (e.g., Ravel, Debussy, Satie, etc.). Though I really like Stacey Kent's other recordings, I hestitated to buy this album because of the language barrier. Upon listening to the long samples on her official Web site, however, I changed my mind and decided I just had to have this album for its sheer elegance and beauty, whether I can understand a word of it or not. I love hearing Stacey sing in French, and the three French-language songs on "Breakfast on the Morning Tram" were a big selling point for me when I bought that album. I just loved the sound of them. This album is filled, from beginning to end, with beautiful melodies and tasty arrangements. I think many Stacey Kent fans will want to have this album in their collection. It's definitely somewhat of a laidback "chillout" album, so don't expect a lot of flashy instrumental solos or fast tempos. What is evident even to this English speaker, though, is that Stacey sings beautifully throughout this album, and she gets excellent support from the other musicians.

This CD also includes Opendisc software that leads the listener to a Web site for additional exclusive content when the disc is inserted into the optical drive of a computer. The primary feature is a 23-minute video documentary about the album. Stacey speaks French throughout, and English subtitles are provided. One can also download English liner notes as a PDF file from that Web site. Note that the CD booklet itself includes no English liner notes and no lyrics (not even in French), which surprised me a little. I found the separately downloadable English liner notes to be helpful to appreciate Stacey's connections to France through her close relationship with her paternal grandfather, who lived in France for about 20 years. There is also helpful background on the songs and their composers.

In short, this is an album that Stacey Kent fans will likely want to acquire, whether they understand French or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dessert Magnifique, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
What is it about me, Stacey Kent, and food? I remember reviewing "The Boy Next Door" from 2004 and likening the listening experience to a fine salad with raspberry vinagrette dressing at a high-scale luncheon cafe.

Along comes "Raconte-moi," a set full of French chansons mostly unfamiliar to these Americanized ears (although"C'Est le Printemps" is Rodgers & Hammerstein's "It Might As Well Be Spring," and "Les eaux de Mars" Jobim's "Waters of March.") And the first and last thing that comes to my mind is dessert. Dessert Magnifique. "Sait-on Jamais" to me is the tangiest pineapple sorbet imaginable. "Jardin d'Hiver" is a chocolate drizzled souffle. "Le Mal de Vivre" is a tasty white chocolate truffle. And so forth.

Though husband and producer Jim Tomlinson deserves mention for this delightful confectionary, I'm particularly taken by Graham Harvey's tasteful piano accompanists. Consistently he finds the right notes for this c.d.

I was tempted to give this 4 stars, only because so much of it is light like this. A part of me wanted duck l'orange for the full course meal.

But the finest pastry chef in the world deserves 5 stars, ultimately. And so does this c.d. RC

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect French album, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
I have searched and searched for the perfect soft French vocal jazz album and finely found it with this album (and by an American!). Stacey has hit the nail on the head in what I was looking for in an authentic, romantic, all French speaking, soft instrumentals with a bit of a Brazilian flare, and all around beautiful album that I will listen to over and over. It truly transports me into the past in what I'm sure Parisian cafes sounded like, such as Montmarte, during the height of the romantic 1920's and 30's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
I got this cd in the mail last week. When I'm home it's on constant loop. It's beautiful. I don't know french and have no idea what Stacey Kent is saying which makes it great background music. Obviously I can't sing along so it's not a distraction. Whether I'm cooking, reading, or just hanging out with my dogs it's playing. I recently watched Something's Gotta Give and thought I'd explore french music, but I didn't necessarily want the soundtrack. This cd is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good easy listening CD, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
Perfect voice for french music, and nice music arrangement. Very refreshing CD. I would highly recommend people to buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fine music, September 19, 2010
Joe Vegas (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raconte-moi... (MP3 Music)
I have several of her albums and this is one of the best for background vocals. I really like her voice and hearing it without having to listen to the words makes it a very good album indeed. Highly recommended if you like her voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhhh..........., May 7, 2013
This review is from: Raconte-Moi (Audio CD)
What an incredible voice! Although I don't understand a word (sung in French), it is very soothing & relaxing!! Totally recommend it for smooth jazz lovers!

Raconte-Moi
Raconte-Moi by Stacey Kent (Audio CD - 2010)