Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 29, 2006
I received two of these bike lifts as gifts. I installed them to replace my old "hooks-in-the-ceiling" method of hanging bicycles over my car. I had to take care to measure the height of the bicycle (adding a few inches for the pulleys) to ensure they cleared the car. I also measured the length of the bicycle to ensure it wouldn't be in the way of people walking around the car. Finally, I measured between the handlebars and seat so the pulleys were properly spaced. But once that was done, installation was a simple matter of drilling three pilot holes per pulley in a joist and screwing them in.

Although the instructions say to tie a stop knot in the rope and thread it through the pulleys and hooks before installation, it's easier not to do that until after you've installed the pulleys. (I did tie a knot in the rope and run it through the hole before I installed the first pulley, but that that turned out not to be necessary because there's enough clearance to push the rope through afterwards.)

Finally, I installed the cleats low enough to reach but high enough so people don't have to duck under the rope.

Like some of the other reviewers, one of my ropes was frayed. (The other one was fine.) I wrote an e-mail to Racor and a vice-president responded almost immediately. I received a replacement rope two days later. Awesome!

Conclusion: These lifts work very well, are easy to install, are reasonably priced, and are backed by excellent customer service.
44 comments| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2005
This is a very useful, nifty little device. Too bad the manufacturer won't commit

to making it a quality product. It does sell for a cheap enough price that you can afford to swap in a high quality rope and some decent screws. To fit the brackets snuggly over a 2x joist, you'd need to shim it on either side. It also should be shimmed on the underside, because the nuts holding the pulleys prevent the brackets from fitting flush to the joist bottom. Without the bottom shims, stress is not distributed evenly. The whole design, in addition to the crappy screws, invites unsafe installations unless you make some corrections.
44 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2006
This product works and is relatively easy to install. However, the supplied rope is garbage. It has many frays right out of the box, and, upon first use, looks like it could break at any time. It is some cheapo cotton worthlessness. Would you feel comfortable with that cheap stuff suspending a bike over your new Lexus? It's too bad these folks don't have the foresight to spend a few extra few cents and supply a real rope instead of making customers go out to buy one and then having to reinstall it. Shame on them.
11 comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2008
This is a great product and idea. The brackets seem very strong and the product worked perfectly as advertised. That said, the rope that accompanies the product is either too cheap or not the correct type for the product's design. If you only plan to lift the bike up to the ceiling once a year, then you will probably be fine with the rope that comes with the product. However, daily or even weekly use will likely burn through the rope quickly. After lifting my bike one time, I noted a fray in the rope--I believe it occurred where the "locking mechanism" locked onto the rope. I intend to find a more durable rope/cable very soon. No five-star rating because of the rope.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2006
I bought 3 of these. I have 2 electric scooters.. which are fairly heavy (about 35-40 lbs each) and a bike. I was a little hesitant to put the scooters up because they are on the edge of max weight for this unit, but I've had them up for 4 months now and they work like a charm. Easy to get down and put up!

Installation was a pain because my place seems to have metal studs and a finished garage. My wood studs are about 4 feet apart -- ugh..

For the first unit I picked up some plywood and drilled it into 1 stud... then installed the unit on the plywood. 1 stud is plenty for a 20 lb bike.

For the other 2 units I purchased a larger piece of plywood and installed it into 4 studs. This time I measured and installed the units first - Much easier then trying to install the wood then the units! I highly recommend installing the hoist to the unit (without the rope) and then installing the wood!!

BTW.. the rope looks pretty weak.. but still holding up my scooters fine.

Had they used cable or something stronger I'd have given this 5 stars -- but for the price -- its a great value.
on March 4, 2006
The product could be better but if you buy better rope and install it well it works. The rope it comes with is not intended to be used with pullys, it falls apart. BUT for the price, after the rope is replaced, it is OK. NOTE the warrenty excludes damage from product failure for any reason, even defective product!
on November 7, 2005
The product is very good, but why do they give you such cheap and ratty rope to go with it. It cheapens the whole package. If the rope were acceptable, I would give it 5 stars. And the spacing of the holes makes it so you cannot put it directly onto a 2by joist. you have to put it on a board, then screw the board on the joist. Good deal for $15.
on September 29, 2011
I used the Racor PBH-1R to hang my 45 pound Yakima Cargo Box from my garage ceiling (see photo). The lift works well enough for this purpose, especially for the price. (More on hanging the cargo box at the end.)

However, it's not a perfect system. As other reviews have noted, the screws that come with the kit are soft (I used 2 1/2" deck screws instead) and the rope doesn't appear to be of particularly high quality.

Also, the two claws do not rise evenly when lifting the cargo box (maybe this works better for bikes). So in order to actually lift the cargo box to the ceiling, I either need the help of another person to keep the box level or I have to sort of walk the box up by pushing one side up, pulling the rope a bit, pushing the other side up, pulling the rope again, and on and on. It's not really difficult to do, and it doesn't take that long, but it's a little bit annoying. (I have the sense that a better pulley system would rise evenly.)

About using the Racor PBH-1R to hang my cargo box:

I did a lot of research and read all the reviews on all the lifts available on Amazon. jt's images and notes about using this lift for his cargo box got me thinking that this system might work for me as well. Fortunately, I decided to contact jt before trying to hang the box as his photos in the listing show. jt initially lifted his box without straps, by placing the hooks under the front and rear lips of the cargo box. This had the advantage of lifting the box high against the ceiling. Unfortunately, it had the disadvantage of being relatively unstable, making it difficult to lift the box up. After he dropped the box once using this method, he decided to switch to hanging the box from straps.

Also, I saw that another Amazon user, Cherrie, had posted a photo of a kayak hanging from a similar mounting system (the RAD Easy Rail Mount Aluminum Bike and Ladder Lift) using straps. I contacted her and she said she was very pleased with her system.

So straps are clearly the way to go. Cherrie told me about some heavy duty custom straps she ordered, but I figured I'd try regular old straps before specially ordering custom ones. I bought the very affordable Master Lock 3060DAT 12-Foot-by-1-Inch Lashing Strap 2-Pack here on Amazon and they worked out great.

The only downside of using straps is that the box hangs down about 18 inches off the ceiling (so the bottom of the box is about two feet from the ceiling).

All in all, I'm pleased with the system. It's not perfect, but it works well.
review image
on November 23, 2005
I purchased four of these. All four have frayed ropes, but it did not seem to make them dangerous. The screws, which are very important for anchoring them to the ceiling joists, are worthless because the metal is too soft. I replaced them with deck screws with square head drivers, because the firm connection to the ceiling is vital. Also, one of the four hoists was missing a pully! Apparently some fine worker forgot to install it, making the whole device worthless. Thankfully Amazon.com is replacing this without charge or hassle. Overall I would gladly buy again! Visit [...] for the web design assistance you need!
on December 14, 2005
Easy to install and really makes the garage look neat.

The rope that comes with it is of really poor quality. It is strong enough but it frays easily and gets caught in the pulley brake causing some trouble bringing the bike up and down.

If you need to, change the rope and you got yourself a great hoist.