5.0 out of 5 stars I use this knife professionally on a daily basis.
Published on June 19, 2011 by Pyrethrin

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value; sharp blade; small, uncomfortable handle
Published 3 months ago by Jonathan Stern

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this knife professionally on a daily basis., June 19, 2011
This review is from: Rada Cutlery French Chefs Knife, Made in USA, Aluminum Handle (R131) (Kitchen)
I am a culinary arts professional who works at not one, but two restaurants. The first one being a spiffy fine-dining establishment and the other is a popular corporate chain. I use this knife at BOTH locations because it's unique properties allow me to make cuts I wouldn't ordinarily be able to make with industry standard or boutique knife blades. This knife has a thin blade and is very light. It is also made of very hard steel. Ordinary chef knives that are rented from sharpening houses that are actually similar in cost to this knife while heavier and made of thicker steel will dull in a matter of days. I can use one of these Rada knives for a few weeks(under HEAVY professional use) before I have to send it out to be sharpened. I really enjoy using it for jobs that don't require a heavy knife in which precision and speed matter most.

At the fine dining restaurant, these are the favored knives of choice for almost everything. We have no rental knives and essentially a collection of each other's knife kits there and this knife is reached for way more than anything else we use. At the corporate restaurant, we are supposed to be using only the standard-issue knives that everybody else in the company is using. It is against rules and procedures to use other knives, however; time and time again management has made an exception for us to use these knives because they simply allow our crews to have a leg up and get certain long prep jobs done faster, easier and with much better results than if we had used the company equipment.

So basically this knife is a superb addition to any kitchen. I keep one at home and at the homes of other people if I think I might cook at their house someday. I need something that is not obnoxiously large that can handle any household cutting task and do a fantastic job. Heavier knives have their purpose, but this thin blade really is a winner for doing many, many things. It is rather laughable that people pay $$$ for chef knives for any reason. I'll tell you that most working chefs use cheap rented Chinese knives and those fancy German ones they get when they graduate from chef school just collect in a drawer somewhere never to be used. It's a still a good idea to buy quality if you can. This is a quality tool, but surprisingly affordable.

I will note that the handle allows for a firm grasp. This likely attributes to some of it's precision because it feels like an extension of your hand. It's not a regular rounded handle that most people are used to though. This doesn't require a new learning curve. It's just different. And in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing with this bad boy, it is quite the extraordinary tool. In the hands of a novice, it might just be the best knife you have. Best of all, if using this knife at home and taking care of it properly(honing it, not washing it in the dishwasher, only cutting food), you may never need to have it sharpened more than every few years if that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, August 17, 2011
I've had this knife through two full summers of use at a professional kitchen job. It is very easy to sharpen/hone with a decent steel. Cuts on most vegetables are very easy. Meats and larger vegetables/starches require some effort. The knife is very light and does not have the heft necessary to go through very dense food quickly. It still gets the job done, but I wish it had some more weight at the heel and thickness in the spine. Chiffonade and julienne are effortless with proper technique. Overall it is very balanced if you use a pinch grip, I have had no strain issues with the knife unless I am pushing myself to go extremely fast. A minor setback is that when chopping with a rocking motion the front of the knife tends to cut into the cutting board, sometimes making for inefficient cuts.

For the price, you can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpest knife ever, December 8, 2011
PJ M (Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
For as long as I've been watching cooking shows, which is about 30 years now, I've longed to cut onions like they do on TV. Just put the onion on its side and chop straight down.

With this knife, my dream has come true. I don't even have to slice back and forth, just press down.

Cutting tomatoes is a breeze. My wife loves this knife too. I bought mine from a Christmas gift show for $15. I've only had it for a few weeks, but I love it. Haven't had to sharpen it yet. Usually my grandmother makes me sharpen her knives frequently. They get dull again after a month or two. I expect this one to stay sharp for quite some time.

The aluminum handle is a bit rough, but I'd get this one again for longevity and someone else said the other style turns his hands black after a few years of use.

Update 2/5/2013: I've had this knife for just over a year now and it's still sharp. I hone it on a steel once a week or so about 5 strokes on each side and the edge stays really nice. I haven't had to sharpen it once. Still cuts very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical at first, but WOW! I really love this knife!, June 7, 2012
So I read the reviews, everyone seemed to really love this knife. I loved that it was "made in the usa", it was affordable and had great reviews. When the knife arrived, I was totally disappointed, it didn't appear very well made (the reason I only gave it 4 stars), it just didn't look finished. The handle had a few sharp spots, it was extremely lightweight, needless to say, I was concerned. We have had the knife a few months now, it has become the favorite in the drawer and is fought over at the prep of nearly every dinner. The sharp edges have worn down, the blade holds a sharp edge and we have all become accustomed to the weight, which is surprisingly well balanced. I am very pleased with it today and have just ordered a couple more pieces to add to my collection.

My only recommendation to you, be sure to get the rada sharpener to go with it, it makes sharpening this knife simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chef Knife for the money, January 30, 2014
Sam (Carlsbad, NM, US) - See all my reviews
This is the single most important piece of gear in my kitchen and I use it every day. Uber sharp, and hones well, this guy slides through just about anything. I even give it as a gift sometimes, that's how much I like it. Definitely pick one up if you're in the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sharp. Feels very good in the hand. You can buy a Rada sharpener separately., January 17, 2014
I really like the sharpness and the feel of this knife, and am happy it's made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite kitchen knife, January 11, 2014
I love the feel and versatility of this knife. It handles all chores from cheese and sausage to vegetables and meats. It washes great and looks great. Made in the USA and proud to have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rada French Chefs Knife, February 9, 2013
Kathryn Scott (CALABASH, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This is an awesome knife. I would definitely recommend that if you are looking for a knife that is sharp and gets the job done you purchase this knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rada Knife-Excellent!, April 20, 2012
I love this knife! Cut easy everything. From chicken bones to slicing tomatoes. Easy to clean. My only complaint is that the handle could be a little slippery if you choose the metal handle. The rubber handle has better grip. And dont forget is made in USA!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value; sharp blade; small, uncomfortable handle, March 24, 2014
I'm willing to admit that I'm a bit of a knife snob. However, this doesn't mean that I only enjoy expensive knives. I genuinely believe that there are some inexpensive knives out there that will work perfectly well for the average home chef. Unfortunately, this knife is not one of them. The price is unbeatable and the blade is extremely sharp but the balance is completely off (in my estimation) and the resin handle is extremely uncomfortable. The grip of the handle is adequate but due to the way that it's molded, it actually has some very sharp edges near the blade which dig into your hand as you cut--and this is exacerbated by the fact that the handle is quite narrow. (I have added two photos to this item, which show the sharp edge of the resin handle.) I should note that I also purchased the Rada Cutlery R129 Chef's Dicer with Aluminum Handle, which I find to be much more comfortable to use--so it's possible that the aluminum handle could bump this chef's knife up an extra star.

Pros: Value; Sharpness; Wide blade

Cons: Uncomfortable (resin) handle; extremely lightweight and somewhat unbalanced; blade is slightly too flexible

All in all, this is not a bad knife for the price but I would recommend opting for the aluminum handle if you're thinking about trying it out for yourself.

Rate and Discover Movies