Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 3, 2009
I have had the older version of the Radica Big Screen Solitaire, the blue one with the pointed bottom, for many years. Unfortunately I lost it, so I ordered this one. I am a solitaire maniac, having first played when I was 4 and couldn't shuffle the cards. I'm a lot older now. This is a good replacement for the old Radica Big Screen Solitaire. The only real difference is the appearance of the cards themselves, they are not the classic old design. But everything else, including the sounds, is the same. Once all the cards are out, it solves itself, and you don't have to push the buttons to conclude the obvious. There is a timed version, and it lights itself if it's too dark. It has a high score button. The screen is large, and easy to read. This version takes 2 AA batteries, as opposed to the 4 AAA batteries of the older version. This was a wise move for Radica, as the old version was a good, solid, enjoyable game, and this one is too. An insignificant drawback is that it is heavier than the older version.
55 comments114 of 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2009
If you get this game, you need to know how to turn off Vegas mode (switch to Klondike mode). The instructions don't tell you this and after trial and error I figured it out.

1. Hold down the New Game button for 2-3 seconds till it resets. At this point the "New Game" message will be flashing in the top of the screen.

2. Press New Game button again to toggle back and forth between Vegas mode and Klondike mode. This only works if you did the first step and have "New Game" flashing at the top of the screen.

My mom really enjoys this game, but there are a few quirks. The suit of all the cards uses a black light, which makes it easy to see. But in the top right corner where you stack the aces, the suit isn't in the black light. Instead, it is a faint gray color and you can barely read it. She has to tilt the screen around to catch the light perfectly to read which suit belongs with each card. I suggested that she put a piece of tape at the top of it and write the suits on it with a black pen. But after a couple days of tilting the game, she has the order memorized and it doesn't matter anymore. But it was definitely frustrating at first.
22 comments29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2009
Radica makes the best handheld solitaire games. I have two of these, one for upstairs and the other for downstairs. I use both on a daily basis. I find these games very hard to put down. This particular handheld game has a larger display, it's easy to see and a backlight comes on when the sensor says it's getting a bit dark in the room. By the way, these games last and last........the batteries are replaceable and taken good care of, you will have these for years.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2014
I love this game- It's getting old though and I was looking to replace it. I paid a cool $10 for mine and now it's $179?? I'm baffled, why so expensive? I don't love it THAT much.
66 comments13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2010
3 Stars max. I need a magnifying glass to read the buttons names and that is not helpful. The screen has a glare problem causing me to have to adjust the way I am holding the unit as I play. The auto light feature helps eat your batteries and needs an on/off switch because it lights up at times when you do not need the light. Radica has been putting out sub par solitaire units for several years now and I sure can't figure out why. The programming for this unit is a little strange but I can get a win approximately every ten games. My high score is currently 745 with this unit.

Radica's two best units they produced are 1) Model 2320 and 2) the 'Metallic Blue big screen circa 2000' model. I have bought twenty of each and have one left of each model. Radica, I need a quality handheld electronic solitaire game again!!! I have played on average 20 games a day since 1997 when they Model 2320 came out.

All time high scores of 760 on 02/20/07 and 750 on 01/01/10 with the 'Metallic Blue big screen circa 2000' model. I am still playing it while my model 2320 is getting a long deserved rest.
55 comments18 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2008
I was looking for a hand held game for my mother that she could see with no trouble. You had it. She has trouble with her eyes and was having trouble seeing the other games. This one is great.
on November 6, 2010
I have owned all the Radica solitaire games and this one is terrible. I hope it's just mine, but it's like it's set to lose all the time--VERY different from every other version. I have played this in Vegas mode for 6 months and have never gone over 1,100 points. I pick up one of the former games (sticky from overuse) and build up points right away. I don't get it...
The undo feature is new; nice if you want to "cheat" and see what is under 2 different cards when you have a chance. The auto play when you finally do win is handy. It's much heavier than any previous model and runs through batteries much quicker.
I've never written a review before for a product; I'm just frustrated.
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2011
My husband and I play many hand-held games. After losing a good solitaire game, I purchased this model. On this particular game, you almost never win. I don't expect to win every game, but one once in a while to make it worth playing would be nice. The game is a dust gatherer now because it is not fun.
on June 4, 2011
I bought two of these for my wife and me to replace 10 year old Radio Shack units. It seems to be well built and works well. We have played with them for two straight days and never won a game. No fun at all and trashed both. The game is frustrating junk but Amazon did a great job in getting them to us. Have ordered the little classic Solitaire and can't wait.
on March 8, 2011
I bought this game because I love playing Solitaire on my computer and Phone and I thought it would be nice to have this so I'm not draining my phone battery down. I Hate it! First of all it only plays two types of Solitaire, which wouldn't be a problem for me ordinarily because I like to play the normal standard Klondike Solitaire. My problem was I like one card draw, not three card draw!! You can only play one card draw with the Vegas style solitaire, Klondike is three card draw. Vegas style only lets you go through the deck of cards three times then the game is over. The Klondike version keeps going, but you reach a point that if you can't use a card from the deck you can't get to all the cards because it only deals three at a time so it leaves your cards buried!! Very frustrating!! Why can't they make it like the version on computers and phones with choice of one or three card draw?