1,130 Reviews

1,401 of 1,436 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars What is GOD up to?
My first impression of "Radical," just from skimming the dust jacket, mirrored the critical review which has been deemed most helpful. I came very close to missing the blessing God had for me through this book.

However as I read "Radical," reflected on it's message, saw its impact on myself and my friends, and pondered the significance of this runaway best...
Published on October 27, 2010 by Robby Butler

2.0 out of 5 stars Need for fuller picture on Scripture, economics, and answers for the poor
I share this author's passion for missions and generous giving. In a sense, this book is the antidote to Osteen anthropology--and in that sense, I adore it!

At the same time, however well-intended his purpose, the author has rested his arguments on poor exegesis and an incomplete survey on Scriptural teaching on wealth. More on that to come, but first a mention...
Published on July 29, 2011 by L. Wheeler

1.0 out of 5 stars "Radical" is not the answer, May 8, 2014
This review is from: Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream (Paperback)
This book is an example of what is wrong with the American church today. We need more of Christ, not more "how to" books that cling to misapplied Bible verses taken out of context. If you want details on what I'm referring to, other one-star reviews here have given plenty, so I won't repeat what they have said. Suffice to say, if you want to live radically for Christ, try studying your Bible daily - be in the Word as much as possible - be in prayer as much as possible - and get involved in the body of Christ. Pursue Him in your daily life. And throw away the rest of your to-do list on how to be Radical. If you don't, you're very likely to wind up discouraged and burnt out as I did. The Christian life isn't about you, or what you have to offer, or what sacrifices you make or fail to make - it's about Christ and what he did on the Cross, and what he is doing in your heart. He is sufficient, and he knows you can't be Radical on your own. Look to him, not David Platt or any other celebrity pastor who claims to have it figured out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so radical, December 16, 2010
This book probably never would have been published if David Platt were not a pastor of a megachurch. Even considering that fact, publication is iffy. He says nothing new, and even what he says is not said in a new or creative way. It seems that it's almost part of the job description for megachurch pastors to write a book like this. So why did it get published? David explains why in the first line of his book: he was the youngest megachurch pastor in history.

What a way to start a book! Sure, David goes on to say that he was uneasy with such a claim and wasn't even sure that it was true, but still...how do you write a book which is supposed to be about taking back your faith from the American Dream and start the book by stating that you are the youngest megachurch pastor in American history? Really?

The rest of the book follows the same tenor. He frequently speaks of all the places in the world he has visited, the rich people in his church, and the letters he gets from people all over the world. What is this but riches, popularity, power, and fame? At the conclusion of his book, he challenges his readers to a one-year experiment of radical living where they pray more, read the Bible more, give more, serve more, and attend church (or small groups) more. This is about as "radical" as a megachurch pastor is allowed to get. Anything more gets you fired.

I'm not trying to criticize David Platt. I'm sure he's a great pastor and faithful follower of Jesus Christ. I just find it ironic that when Multnomah publishes a book about giving up what is bigger, better, younger, and richer in order to follow Jesus, the author is someone who is bigger, better, younger, and richer.

Sure, the book contains examples of how David has moved to a smaller house, and how rich people in his church sold everything to give the money to the church, and the struggle David faces in reconciling the teachings of Jesus with pastoring a megachurch. But he's still there and so is the multimillion dollar campus. The people are still rich. The church is still powerful. David is still famous.

Is it possible to have a book written by someone who is not all these things? What about the person who gives the widow's mite? What about the pastor who has served in the same church for 50 years in a dying community? What about the parents who never had children, and didn't have the money to adopt, and didn't qualify for foster care, but still took care of needy children in their neighborhood?

What about the family who could never downsize their home because they never owned a home? What about the pastor who grew his church from 10 to 100, and then, rather than give himself a raise, took a pay cut and a second job so he could send 50 of those people to another part of the city to plant a new church? This is radical. This is following Jesus. This is living your faith outside the American dream. I personally know people who have done all these things. To me, they are the true radicals.

3.0 out of 5 stars I had much higher hopes for this book, September 23, 2010
I was so excited by this book when I read the reviews. I am a semi-crunchy, liberal, non-denominational Christian seeking to follow Christ and not religious dogma. A few years ago, I traded in an "American Dream" salary for a far more modest living, and yet I still feel like I give into material temptation far too often. So I expected this book to be convicting and helpful in my Christian growth.

However, I am half way through it, and I don't know if I can finish it. It is certainly convicting, but I don't think it is helpful. The title doesn't lie. It is radical, far more radical than I even expected, primarily in terms of his position on how each of us should carry out the Great Commission -- all of us the same, all of us traveling the world, and suggesting that any reason a Christian might have for not doing so is an unbiblical cop-out. He doesn't even pay lip service to the equally important principle that God has put each of us in a certain place, at a certain time, for a certain purpose, and that we are to love our neighbors too. He seems to think "parachute missionaries" are the only way to go about spreading the gospel. He also seems to forget that even Jesus didn't heal EVERY sick person in the world, not even every sick person in Israel -- not while he was in the flesh, nor presently -- yet the writer pretty much expects each of us to reach EVERY lost soul in the world with the message of Christ. It sounds nice and biblical, because obviously, who would want any soul left behind? But he forgets that the Bible says there will be souls left behind. The writer seems uncomfortable with the inherent tension between the command of the Great Commission, and the reality that not everyone will be reached. I want to say to him, "Take a deep breath and relax - the uncomfortable reality is not everyone will be saved, and God knows that and He is in control of it. You and I are both playing on God's team, but let God do the coaching." Maybe he acknowledges these things in the second half of the book, but I don't know if I'll get there.

To attempt an analogy (and keep in mind, I don't have a degree in theology, and I don't know if this will come across as clearly as I intend), I think of Paul when he asked if we should go on sinning just so God's grace can be shown, and he answers, by no means. Of course, we are not to go on sinning just because of God's grace . . . but everyone, including God, knows that doesn't change the reality that even though our lives are transformed, we will still sin. There is an inherent tension there that won't be resolved this side of heaven. Similarly, when Jesus commands us to spread the gospel to all nations and all people, Jesus knows it will be an incomplete task, because the Word won't get out to everyone, and not everyone who hears it will follow. Does that mean we don't carry out the Great Commission? By no means. Of course we do, but we aren't failed Christians if we don't do it exactly how the writer insists we all should. This is another inherent tension that won't be resolved this side of heaven.

The writer also seems to forget that, although the Bible was written FOR us, it was not written TO us. It was written TO people who had no idea that a western hemisphere full of people even existed, let alone the means to get to those people. Of course, the apostles walked everywhere they went and managed to travel to many eastern countries, but clearly they didn't get to ALL of them. If one wants to be calculating about it, Facebook reaches more people than the apostles did.

For what it's worth, I am not a shut-in criticizing a pastor's suggestion that we all need to get out more. I have traveled to about 10 different countries, some more than a few times, and I have adopted a daughter from China. I'm not afraid to go places. I just think this writer has a limited view of the ways in which people with different spiritual gifts carry out the Great Commission, sort of putting God in a box (ironically, the "box" of the world, but if you read the book, I think you'll see what I mean).

2.0 out of 5 stars Poverty Theology isn't so Radical... or Biblical, February 16, 2011
I just got finished reading Radical, and I have to say, this is a well-written book that asks a lot of very tough questions to which there are no easy answers. The reader might get frustrated at the beginning of the book, because the book seems not to answer many of these questions that tend to rock the foundation of many people's faith. Asking good questions is an art form, and David does a great job exposing the toxic myth of what many people hold as American Christianity. Craig Groeschel wrote a similar book entitled Christian Atheist, which I give two enthusiastic thumbs up. I can't give David's book that high of a rating, and here's why:

* Taking Cheap Shots at the church where he's pastoring. David is the pastor at the Church at Brook Hills, a great church started by Rick Ousley whom I have met numerous times. I think it is real easy and taking a cheap shot to bash a great church like Brook Hills for their buildings while living in the comfort of them. If he is so passionate about their nice building, then sell it and give the money to the poor and go start a church from the ground up with no building, instead of inheriting a mega-church. Again, I don't have a problem with big churches--but it sure seems like he does.

* Not all Buildings are bad. David is very negative about church buildings, calling them "temples," "empires," and "kingdoms" (118). David's own struggle with preaching "in one of these giant buildings" has forced him to speak too sweepingly about the way most churches in America (which are small) approach their facilities (119). I have a tendency to get negative on buildings, but hear me--buildings aren't bad. What is bad is when churches take their focus off of God and the lost and focus on buildings. I think David is overstating his point here.

* His tendency to drift towards Poverty Theology. Like many other writers today who express a "Radical" message (Francis Chan, Shane Clairborne), they drift towards poverty theology, which believes that having wealth is wrong and poverty is right. Poverty Theologians believe that those who are poor to be more righteous than those who are rich; it honors those who choose to live in poverty as particularly devoted to God. I disagree. Jesus doesn't preach against owning money, but when the money owns you. Being rich isn't a sin. And I'm glad of that. Because compare to the rest of the world's standards, both Mr. Platt and myself are VERY rich. Though I love reading authors like David Platt and Francis Chan, I feel some less-mature Christians can wig out and think that all money, stuff, buildings, etc is bad and demonize . Again, this stuff isn't immoral; it's amoral. There is nothing wrong with any of this stuff. It is tools to promote God's kingdom. The problem isn't the tools, it is when we focus and worship the tools instead of God.

* The underlying emphasis of Lordship Salvation. This kind of ties in with the previous point, but both Platt and Chan seem to believe in Lordship Salvation. What is it? Put simply, that if Jesus isn't Lord over all of your life, then He isn't Savior over any of your life. Lordship teaching legitimately addresses a genuine problem in the evangelical community, and that is the problem of praying a magic prayer will get you to heaven. It isn't about praying words and using it like a rabbit's foot. Biblical faith is much more than that. But Lordship Salvationists overstate their point (do we see a pattern here?) to say that God has to call the shots of all your life and if He doesn't, then you're not saved. HUGE problem--then I am not saved now!! I still struggle with making Jesus the boss in certain areas of my life. They confuse salvation with sanctification (how God continually makes us more like Jesus every day). They confuse spiritual birth with spiritual growth.

Overall, I liked the book. It is a timely message for people with an emasculated, westernized, Osteen-Christianity. And though I disagree with David on some of his points and his theology, I believe I have a lot to learn from a Radical pastor who lives in Alabama.

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'Radical', December 28, 2013
The author does a good job of presenting his ideas, but he seems to paint everyone with the same brush. God calls people to walk in many different directions. Some may even be called into areas where they make a lot of money. An individual needs to deal directly with God in deciding his lifework, and it may not be to sell everything. Commitment to one's calling, whatever that might be, should be our concern, not what someone else says we must do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Considering Radical, February 25, 2011
Radical by David Platt is one of the books that has been enjoying lots of word of mouth among American Calvinists since its release. When I had the opportunity to get a review copy, I took it. I wanted to read it to see what the buzz was about, and the topic interests me.

"I am convinced that we as Christ followers in American churches have embraced values and ideas that are not only unbiblical but that actually contradict the gospel we claim to believe."

Years ago, I preached my Advent series from Revelation. One of those sermons was on the dual strategies of the Evil One to destroy the church. The Beast represents governments that persecute the church. The Prostitute represents seduction, as the world seduces the church such that she slowly becomes like the world. In some countries the church experiences persecution, but here in America we face the Seductress. It goes without saying that the message was not well received. So, that being said, I get what David Platt is trying to say in his book.

This is not a new subject. Michael Horton has written numerous books on the subject of how American Christianity has been warped by American values (instead of the influence going the other way). People like Ron Sider, Francis Chan and a host of others have tackled this subject in the 25 years since Christ rescued me. In fact, this book is part Horton (he stresses some theological ideas contrary to American thought- Calvinism), part Francis Chan (a 'radical' approach) and part Ron Sider ("pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip). Which makes this a difficult book to review.

"A command for us to be gospel-living, gospel-speaking people at every moment and in every context where we find ourselves."

Radical is not as good as the hype nor as bad as most (poorly informed) critics make it out to be. But let me start with some good things, because there are things I appreciate about the book. There are things the American Church needs to reckon with regarding how we've been seduced by our corner of the world.

* Discipleship in most American churches does not reflect discipleship in the Scriptures. The Great Commission teaches us that part of discipleship is "teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." Discipleship is not merely information transfer, but life transformation.
* Wealth is not the goal of life or the penultimate sign of God's blessing. It is a resource given for many purposes. The Bible warns us of the dangers of covetousness (which is idolatry), and teaches us to use our wealth for the benefit of others. Which leads us to the next point: justice.
* Platt focuses primarily on poverty. You could plug any number of 'agendas' in the place of poverty in the book. Christians, supposedly marked by love, should care about and pursue the well-being of others. American Christianity, cooperating with our sinful tendency to be curved inward, is more focused on satisfying our desires (yes, Joel, you and the host of other guys/gals on TV talking about the satisfying self rather than sacrificing self). Part of the glory of Christ in his body is that we don't have to share one another's passions. In fact we can't. If we all function on poverty who will work to end human trafficking, abortion, sexploitation, racism etc..
* Evangelism is another area affected by the wave of pluralism in our culture. We hesitate and disobey because we aren't always sure it really matters.
* Community is also something that is discouraged in the American mindset. The focus is on the individual, particularly in conservative circles. We read the letters of Paul as if addressed to 'me' instead of 'us'. We don't see how much we need one another to grow, how the more mature help the less mature (Titus 2), how we see each other's blind spots, how love requires relationship etc.

So, Platt puts his finger on a number of serious issues requiring our repentance. Yet, I still found this book so frustrating. I find that alot of that frustration has to do with the guilt factor. I felt like he was trying to put me on a guilt trip. It was not so much my 'inner lawyer' that protested. I think it was my inner Jesus- the Holy Spirit. Guilt does not motivate, it manipulates. Guilt is never the biblical motive to obedience. Yet, that was most often what he tried to use (they're starving to death, going to hell etc.). Guilt focuses on us, not Jesus. It focuses on what we must do, not what Christ has done and is doing.

"The faith in Christ that frees us from our sins involves an internal transformation that has external implications." Too bad he didn't talk more about that.

In short, I didn't see gospel motivations. This is a critical flaw- far more serious than most of the criticisms I hear from people who just want to cling to wealth and security. A gospel motivation looks to Christ who made himself poor that he might enrich others. This produces a grateful generosity (see 2 Cor. 8-9), not a guilt-driven one. The first is by faith (without which it is impossible to please God), and the second by fear (I might not be a real Christian if I don't do this). A gospel motivation looks to Christ who loved me and gave his life as an atoning sacrifice when I was his helpless enemy. This produces a love (and gospel fear) for God that leads to obedience to him and love for others resulting in evangelism. The answer he offers seems more rooted in the flesh than faith. The flesh can offer up some mighty good looking counterfeits to biblical obedience- but without the gospel motivation and empowerment it is still just flesh, worthless works adding to our condemnation.

This is why I cannot, ultimately, join so many others in recommending this book. It seems to substitute one faulty Christianity for another despite his intentions. I can overlook the other points of disagreement and weaknesses. This one seems too big, too glaring.

Instead of Radical, I think you'd be better served by reading some of these books:

* Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex & Power, and the Only Hope that Matters by Tim Keller
* The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs
* Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community by Tim Chester & Steve Timmis
* Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes us Just by Tim Keller

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pastor of mega church with $10,000,000 yearly budget wants YOU to risk it all!, July 31, 2012
Mega-church pastor David Platt has really had it with the American dream, that dream "dominated by self-advancement, self-esteem, self-sufficiency, by individualism, materialism, and universalism." (page 19) And, he says "I want to risk it all." (page 20).

On page 27, Pastor Platt writes, "What if we take away the cool music and cushioned chairs? What if the screens are gone and the stage is no longer decorated? What if the air conditioning is off and the comforts are removed? Would His word still be enough for his people to come together?"

On page 49, Platt further bemoans churches like his very own, those with good performances, multi-million dollar facilities, charismatic communicators, and top-of-the-line programs for every age and stage.

The rest of the book seems like a repetitive cycle of reasoning which I'll paraphrase below.

On one of my visits to a secret church in a country where Christians are dirt poor and opressed by the government, or both, I noticed how committed the Christians were there, and I thought of the lazy, materialistic, generally good-for-nothing lard butts back in the United States, and all the stupid stuff they believe about God and Jesus.

Sometime later I had this mind blowing revelation concerning this passage from scripture that most Christians are very much aware of, but have never heard my hyperventilating commetnary on. So here it is! Now, here is an example of a really radical Christian in the United States who gave up everything that most of you American dreamers think is normal in order to lead a really radical life. Why don't YOU be like them?

End of paraphrase.

Of course, the shame doesn't end there. We American dreamers are compared to some of the great hypocrites of American history. On page 111 Platt writes, "We look back on slave-owning churchgoers of 150 years ago and ask, 'How could they have treated their fellow human beings that way?'" Well, how about all the Christians who worked to end slavery over the 100 years before it was abolished?

Anyway, after all these stories of poor/oppressed Christians in other courntries, and the stories of radical American Christians who risked it all, I was waiting for the first hand account of how Pastor David Platt risked it all, and all the radical changes he made in his church (if indeed that church was still there), and the huge price he paid in material things but the great blessings that followed, but...wait for it...wait for it...that account never appeared in this book.

In fact, Pastor Platt's church seems just like the church he bemoans in his book -- a massive theater and a program for everyone and everything, and according to the church web site the yearly budget is about $10,000,000, and the performances are superb, and the American dream is alive and well.

2.0 out of 5 stars A recipe for spiritual burnout, August 22, 2013
Someone else recently wrote that pastors as young as David Platt should wait another 20 years before publishing their first books so they won't have to spend the rest of their lives disavowing what they wrote in their young, impetuous years. I agree.

Platt is one of the new breed of celebrity pastors (like Francis Chan and Kyle Idleman) who wield the hammer of guilt to make complacent Christians become more "radical" in their service to Christ. Unfortunately, this book fails in that it only serves to make true followers of feel worse than they already do about not "doing enough for Christ", while completely missing unsaved people who would probably never read the book anyway.

I do agree with some of what Platt says. I agree that people who profess to be disciples of Christ but show no fruit are probably not truly saved. However, much of the message of this book seems to be "DO MORE!" "DO BETTER!" and "TRY HARDER!"...or you're probably not saved. Platt does give lip service to grace, but the focus in this book is on "doing" rather than "abiding". Apparently, some members of Platt's church have already become weary of his message and have moved on to other churches after experiencing burnout as a result of his "radical experiment".

This book is just legalism repackaged for a new generation of Christians under the hip, new "radical" title. A much better read is Steve McVey's book "Grace Walk", which focuses on the true Gospel message that Christians are to rest and "abide in Christ" with the result being an overflow of good works out of love for Christ rather than try to earn His favour by doing more.

1.0 out of 5 stars You have 10 minute sermon contorted into a book and study, December 27, 2013
Our Sunday School class read this book. I found it using catchy ideas then poorly fleshing them out It seems the needed to use examples that left one feeling wrong if they have not done foreign missions work. I will give the author the benefit of the doubt that he means well, but found it so poorly written that even our attempt to dissect it in class left for a flashy surface but lacking in excellent teaching from the material. Please realize our class is comprised of people of low to upper middle class, mixed race, and active in the local and foreign missions field truly serving "the least of these". Some were not raised in Christian homes others born and early childhood in second-third world countries. I feel we had a great cross section to talk through this. Even with this insight it left the book wanting.

3.0 out of 5 stars American Dream X2, June 14, 2010
Although I really like much of the content in this book, and I am glad I read it, I struggled some with the author's communication style of 'you need to do everything I'm saying'. He has many great points about taking back your faith from the american dream. I live in a city where the income average is twice that of the national average. I have a 1780 square foot home, which here is considered extremely small, yet I consider it very big. I drive my 14 year old car next to many new and much fancier cars. Over the past couple of years, and a lot lately, I really have to wonder why God has me in a place where people are living the american dream... times 2. I clearly don't fit in here, or do I?

David gives many opinions, and many of them really good, but I feel like I still don't know what he's about. He gave some personal examples, but not enough for me see that he is completely sold out to his opinions and vision. Before this book, I read Shane Claiborne's book The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical "Irresistible Revolution", and it was clear by his stories and the way he communicated it, that he is sold out to his vision and beliefs. I do recommend reading this book, but I also recommend that you pray about God's will for your life within the context of his thoughts.

The premise of the book is that everyone must make disciples everywhere in the world, no exceptions, and doing things locally is not enough. I will challenge this with a little different way of thinking. Yes, it would be great if everyone could go to other countries to help people. AND, he is right that we shouldn't just send money and feel like we've accomplished something. First, I think God has a will for all of us to help, and when we all understand out how he wants us to be His hands and feet in the world, we should not ignore that. I think David is right that we should make sacrifices on some level and make helping the poor a priority, not a passing thing that might happen once a year at Christmas time or when you decided to clean out your closet and give away your discards. On page 130, he says, "What would happen together if we stopped giving our scraps to the poor and started giving surplus?" He is right, we should order our lives in way that allows us to help others. But if I don't go out of the country, then I am not doing God's work? I don't believe that. I'm a single mom with a full time job and limited financial resources. I do go to Mexico on mission trips, although I hate calling them that, as these orphans we visit are family. I would love to go to Africa and many other places, but that's just not a reality right now. So I can support someone who can go and I can also do many things here to support the impoverished locally. I'm not accepting the implied guilt trip. According to David, I am wrong.

I pray about what missions work I should be doing everyday, and not only that, I'm also teaching my kids to do the same. We might not be in other countries physically, but I'm not ignoring them. I know people are suffering globally and I can partner with people that are making a difference. My heart is with those people as well, and I think that's what God is calling us to do. We should love everyone, be aware of global needs and not ignore them. These places are far away and they're not in our day to day lives, and if we don't look for them, chances are we will not ever see them. We have to be intentional about educating ourselves so we can reach out in the ways God has designed us to do just that.

I know this will end up being the longest book review ever to hit Amazon, so I'll wrap it up. David's challenges at the end of the book are this:

Pray for the entire world
Read through the entire Word
Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose
Spend your time in another context
Commit your life to multiplying community

I love these challenges! I read these and have started in a positive direction on all of them, but by praying through them and understanding what God wants from me and within my reality.

I had an idea from reading this, an idea about praying for the world, which I started last night with my kids. I'm doing a year of no retail shopping, which I'm blogging the process on [...] (I'm only 19 days into it at the time of this review) Other than groceries and toiletries, I can purchase used stuff only, and only if needed. I went to the used bookstore and bought a world atlas. (used for $10. I would have purchased from Amazon, but I wanted to start my idea immediately) When my kids and I pray every night, we are now also praying for the people in a specific place every night. I realized my geography skills are... well, they suck. I could try to sugar coat that, but there's no point. With the atlas, we can not only pray for people globally, but we can see where they live, learn more about them and better understand how we can help. I have every hope that we can visit some of these places someday and my kids have that desire too. They want to meet Angelo, our Compassion International sponsored child in Peru. How cool would that be? I have no idea if that could ever happen, but they continue to dream about it and I continue to support them in believing it could happen someday. We also write our name and date we prayed for places in the atlas.

So to sum it up, I recommend reading the book, there's a lot of really good things to ponder. As a matter of fact, I have highlighted and underlined many things in this book and I will refer back to it. If you have the same struggle I did in relating to the author, read it anyway, consciously eliminating his opinions, but taking seriously his thoughts and ideas. Take his challenges too. The world would be a much better place if we all made some positive changes, even if it's just a tiny one.

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt (Paperback - May 4, 2010)
$14.99 $8.46