Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Radical Welcome: Embracing God, the Other, and the Spirit of Transformation Paperback – August 1, 2006
Top 20 lists in Books
View the top 20 best sellers of all time, the most reviewed books of all time and some of our editors' favorite picks. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
About the Author
More About the Author
Stephanie lives out the call to renew church in two spheres. First, she teaches and directs programs in Mission and Reconciliation at General Theological Seminary in New York City. She also serves as Senior Consultant and Director of New Ministry Development with the Center for Progressive Renewal, an Atlanta-based group that equips regional bodies to start or turnaround churches and nourishes the progressive Christian witness across America.
One of two priests appointed as Chaplain to the Episcopal House of Bishops, Spellers recently chaired the Episcopal Commission on Mission and Evangelism. She has served as Canon for Missional Vitality in the Diocese of Long Island, where she guided efforts to launch new ministries and reconnect the Episcopal Church to the diverse cultures of Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island. From 2007 to 2012, she served as founding priest for The Crossing, an emergent congregation based at St. Paul's Cathedral in Boston that blazed new trails by linking Anglican traditions to postmodern life.
Stephanie graduated from Wake Forest University in 1993 with a major in religion, emphasizing Eastern religions and liberation theology. In 1996, she earned a Master of Theological Studies at Harvard Divinity School, where she focused on the role of religion in movements for social change. She went on to work as a religion journalist in Knoxville, Tennessee, but later felt the nudge to do more than report on other's religious experiences. She earned a Master of Divinity at Episcopal Divinity School in 2004 and a year later was ordained in the Diocese of Massachusetts.
Today, Stephanie lives on the campus of General Theological Seminary in New York City, but she tries to stay true to her roots and her close-knit family in Frankfort, Kentucky. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Top Customer Reviews
I love the stories and experiences that this book brings together; it provides a great spoonful of sugar that is so helpful in small groups and vestries. Don't hesitate -- add this to your cart right now!
If I have a complaint about this book, it's that I feel too much time is spent on theological justification for needing to welcome people, which just seems stupidly obvious to me. On the other hand, I'm not the audience that needs convincing.
Thus, the targeted audience is the PC progressive liberal mainline Episcopalians whose metropolitan churches are in decline and desire to attract LGBTs to survive; potential readers should note this is small percentage of the Anglican Communion. The Anglican Communion has an estimated 85 million members world wide with 34 provinces. The 600,000 active members of the Episcopal Church in the US is about 0.7%. The book cannot be recommended to the other 99.3% of the Anglican Communion, of which the Anglican Church of North America exists. The book was written in 2006 prior to the split, where many aligned themselves non-white[-European] lead Provinces (e.g. Africa, Asia and South America). So, they don't fit the book's leadership, dominant power model of "white[-European] lead."
The five stars is based on how well the book was written and organized, but had I known the target audience I would not have purchased it. So, ye potential readers be advised.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Using this book for a discussion group at my church. Great messagePublished 12 months ago by Diane M. Murray
Lots of good insights and details from the 6 congregations she studied. Several people from our church read it and liked the ideas.Published on July 29, 2013 by nancyg
Our church is reading this as our Lenten book. We are challenging our preconceived ideas about how we welcome others.Published on March 6, 2013 by Rosalie W. Reynolds
The adult forum at my church has been using this book to provoke a look at how welcoming our church is and how it can become more welcoming.Published on June 22, 2012 by L. Hammer