5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Toy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not worth the price
Published on December 27, 2004 by PghYinzer

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Toy, September 8, 2004
Highly recommended, and here's why:

My son got this wagon for his first birthday. He could already walk, but it is still has become one of his very favorite toys. From day one he has been practicing climbing in and out of it (with the sides up, but he's tall). Since the wheels don't turn super-easily, I don't have to worry about it sliding out from under him while he does it (especially on carpet).

Once my son is sitting inside, he sits down and we wheel him around the house (the faster the better). When little friends come over, they also take turns pushing each other. This is very cute and apparently so fun that they often all try to climb in at once (we've fit up to a large 18-month-old in the basket, but that's about its limit). Usually, at least once a day, I find him sitting in the walker waiting to be pushed in circles around the house. My son also pushes stuffed animals around, but the corners are hard to turn, so I do have to follow him.

This is also a very sturdy toy; we will be able to pass it down to my son's children. Because toddlers can also ride in it, this is the very best walker I've seen and my son certainly loves it. If you do push your child around in it, be prepared to do it a lot (he or she will love it). And, since the handle is quite low (it's built for a toddler, after all), it's hard on an adult's back.

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality, but a little hard to maneuver, May 11, 2004
"doctorfang" (Livonia, MI United States) - See all my reviews
PROS:
- high-quality, sturdy construction
- wooden "sides" are removable, for more versatility
- great for learning walkers (wheels offer slight resistance)
- good for indoor or outdoor play
- little ones can sit in it, if one or two sides are removed
- easy to keep it moving in a straight line
CONS:
- a little hard to maneuver around turns (none of the wheels "turn" to the left or right)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not worth the price, December 27, 2004
I'll agree this toy is very sturdy. I'll agree it's cute. And it's great for little walkers who are JUST beginning to toddle. Truth, though - NO TOY will teach your kid to walk sooner than he is meant to, so don't hang your hopes on that. Once your child is ready to cruise, ANYTHING can and will be made into a push behind walker. Boxes. Toys. The step stool from your kitchen.

The best thing about this toy is it allows pre-schoolers and little ones a way to play together. They love to push each other and be pushed. I have seen this with 2 prechoolers and 2 1 year olds so that's 4 baby/preschooler combinations.

However... the simple fact is, this toy is NOT maneuverable. This may be good if your baby needs a lot of support in early walking... but soon he will outgrow this need and this benefit will become a curse. Your baby will steer it right into a wall and leave it. It will get annoying!

My baby has more fun walking behind the laundry basket or other toys or like I said, the step stool... they are light and he can push them to make turns better.

Luckily, this was a gift, so we didn't waste our money... but I feel bad that my mother did.

If you want a walker, I would go with one of the lighter-weight plastic ones, like Little Tikes or Fisher Price makes. It may not seem the best at first, but once your baby gets more adept, it will probably be better for you.

I am hoping we can justify the wagon-ness of this feature at some point by using it in the grocery store... but we'll see. As others have mentioned, the slats come out really easily, which makes hauling stuff tricky. First the baby is distracted by something being in the wagon bed... has to remove it to investigate. Then he realizes the slats pull out easily, so he has to remove those, too.

I see this isn't stocked any more... I wonder if Radio Flyer is revising it?

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful concept---watch for choking hazard!, November 3, 2004
Kristina Corrado (Maryland / Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
My son received this wagon for his 1st birthday; he played with it constantly---mostly on a carpeted floor. It certainly helped him learn to walk---the resistance feature was my primary attraction. However, after 8 days of normal play, the tip of one of the resistance pegs (the device that "pushes back" and prevents the wagon from flying out from under them) broke off---my son found it before we did and had it in his mouth---it was a piece 1 cm in length and .4 cm in width---PERFECT for little mouths! The very next day the tip of the other resistance peg broke off!! I have been in touch with Radio Flyer and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. There has been no resolution yet, although Radio Flyer is suggesting I had an isolated defect (I'd be more likely to believe this if only ONE of the pegs had broken--but both?!). The resistance pegs are crafted from hard plastic that can (did) become brittle; it seems to me that a hard rubber composition would have been a safer alternative. I don't expect toys to last forever, but I do expect that they won't present a choking hazard. This wagon is recommended for children ages 1-4. Watch your little ones carefully when they play with this wagon!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars recall on classic walker wagon, December 12, 2006
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)has issued a recall of past models of this wagon because of the safety hazard posed by the clickers coming off--many people have commented on this danger in the reviews here. Go to [...] to get more info on which models were recalled and how to get the clicker replacement kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars not the best choice, June 2, 2009
Momof3 (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
Not the best choice. I've used three baby walkers with six kids (mine and my sister's). My favorites - the Galt Baby Walker - well balanced, easy for the child to stand up and push - manuvers well. I've also used and love, the new Plan Toy Baby Walker - beautiful piece, all wood - easy to manuver - well balanced and easy for the child to use. We found the Radio Flyer Walker too heavy for a new walking toddler and impossible for the child to turn. Also not thrilled with the quality of the Radio Flyer Baby Walker now that it's made in China - the wood finish is a bit rough on little hands.

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionnable materials, April 25, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon ( Frustration Free Packaging) (Toy)
It is a beautiful wagon. BUT. Upon opening the box, the odor of paint and/or plastic was overwhelming. After assembly we decided to let it air out / off-gas for a few days, thinking it might have just been the new-from-the-factory smell. After five days it still emitted the same odor. We even posted a question on the radio flyer web site asking what materials, including paint type, were used. No response after a week. So we returned it and purchased another wooden walker, and there was no odor upon opening the box. The radio flyer is truly a good looking toy, and seems durable, however we did not feel comfortable having an infant play and live with it in the nursery.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST toy for would be walkers (and beyond), November 2, 2009
Fantastic Toy!

Highlights:
- Very stable; my one year old can climb in and out of it, stand in it, and jump in it all without the slightest amount of tipping. (actually climbing in and out is one of her favorite things to do)
- Doesn't run away. The braking mechanism provides a good amount of resistance, but not so much they it can't be pushed.
- Removable sides. need I say more
- Long term toy. Older kids think it is great too as it can be a truck, a train, a shopping cart, etc
- Good quality construction

Note: don't leave it outside or in the sun. The red paint used on these type of toys does not hold up well to the elements.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best! Well worth the $$$$, May 2, 2005
We bought and returned several "walker" toys before I found this one. We bought it when our son was about 10mos old and just beginning to venture out on his own. It is very stable when many of the others would fall over when he tried to walk behind them. The handle is also very wide compared to other push toys. Because of the clickers it takes a little effort to push, which I like because the others would fly away from him.

I agree that initially it was hard to steer but give it a time ...our son is now a pro. Plus many of the other push toys would just fall over when he tried to turn them. He can take this wagon around the tighest corners with no problem. We also had to replace our clickers. I called radio flyer and they sent them out ASAP and they were a snap to replace.

Even with those two issues, I would buy this wagon again. We are going on 8 months of use now and it is still the favorite. I am a super picky toy buyer and this wagon is at the top of my must have list!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a 'just starting' walker!, February 19, 2005
My son loves this wagon! He received it as a Christmas present (he was about 1) It is great for a child just starting to walk. Unlike other push toys it has resistance in the wheels so even when he was still unsteady on his feet he could stand up and push it. Now that he is older, he still likes to push it but also likes to take the rails in and out and also loves to have a ride in it! If I had to have a downside it is that it is a bit heavier and he can't really turn it by himself yet. However from my perspective, that downside was 'outweighed' by all of the other plusses! It is also extremely well-made and durable.